AVS Forum banner

losing bass when using A+B

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Secret Squirrel 
#1 ·
I apologize if this is an ignorant question, but I can't figure out the speaker set up to get the sound I'm trying to get.

Scenario: my input device is my computer channeled through my receiver. I have two satellite speakers (100W with an 8 ohm impedance) on my desk using them as computer speakers. I have two bookshelf speakers (2 way, tweeter and 8inch woofer). each of the speakers is hooked up to a speaker output using A&B through the receiver (bookshelf speakers = A, sattellite speakers = B).

When only using A (the bookshelf speakers) the woofer sounds great, pleanty of bass, but when using A&B i get good high's and mid's through all 4 speakers, but lose the power to the woofers, and most of the bass.

My goal was to use the bookshelf speakers to give me the bass I want to hear, but still get the highs and mids at my desk for when i'm listening at the computer.

question: why am i losing the bass from the woofers and how can i get it back with out turning off the speakers at my desk?

See less See more
#3 ·
its all pretty crappy equipment... but the receiver is an Optimus stv 3790. Sattelite speakers are from a 5.1 set model is TEAC LSR-100B (max input 100W, 8 ohm). Bookshelf speakers are Sound Research AL-7. I can't find anything about them on the internet. It looks like they were an older brand that went under. The speakers sound great though, they have an 8" woofer/mid and a tweeter

i have to admit i'm new to the whole audio thing, I understand most electronics pretty well, but this subject is pretty foreign to me.

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///AMG /forum/post/19132759

If i were to get a stand alone sub woofer and plug it into the sub out jack, would that make up for the loss of bass? or will the subwoofer only work with a 5.1 surround system?

Well, if the sub had its own amp, it would make up for what it can produce. Most sub only go to about 120hz though. If your speakers have lost bass (due to low power), they probably have lost more than just below 120hz or so.

If you just do stereo, I would think for the price of a sub, you could get a somewhat better stereo receiver or amp.

#7 ·
I found some specs on your receiver. I was not sure of the specs in my first post. I thought it was a stereo receiver. It looks like your receiver is 5.1. What I said still applies to your 5.1 receiver. When you go from one pair of speakers on the A channel, then add another pair on B channel you are still dividing the available power. The division of wattage may not be in half but it is still not the same as with just 2 channels driven. The idea of adding a sub is a good idea. The sub will do a better job of producing the low frequencies. A sub will work with music.

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekb /forum/post/19135878

The A and B speakers may be out of phase. Have you tried reversing them?

Ed

What do you mean out of phase?....

edit: nevermind, no they are not out of phase... I think it was just the issue of losing low end frequency when the power was split between the two sets of speakers. I hooked up a subwoofer, and got the bass i was looking for, i'm a little worried though because its a 4 ohm speaker. hope it doesn't make too much of a difference

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.