The Downfall Of Bose... - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 419 Old 01-04-2012, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Bose is geared to sell to the poor ( with money to burn) ignorant buyers. There sale is based on seemly big sound from little hardware, there sales are based on fooling you, and making a fool out of the buyer, by surprising the foolish ones. One only needs to compare speaker systems to hear the limits of a bose home system. In the past bose had some good units like the 901s with eq and 1K amp in stereo mode back in the late 70s would be nice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 419 Old 01-04-2012, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

What is that? White van version of bose?

No, the idea is that Blose rhymes with Blows.
post #273 of 419 Old 11-24-2012, 05:14 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Plain and simple, Bose has the market cornered on people - amateurs - who want a sound system for their home - but want it to turn on and "just work".

Through some miracle of god, companies like Bose have either located or built a demographic of people who don't shop around - don't compare products - and don't want any flexibility whatsoever - they want something with little more than an on button. They want to be able to buy it and "just use it". The customer base tends to be uninformed shoppers with disposable income whose time is "much too important to waste on details".

To this demographic, if something doesn't sound terrible, it sounds "amazing". These people have nothing else to reference it to. Nor do they care to.

It's frequent that buyers of these types of products have no experience with audio equipment at all, let alone other brands or configurations of products that provide much more, for much less money. If they did have the experience and exposure, it's highly unlikely they'd buy this garbage in the first place.

Somehow Bose has made a name for itself as a "premium sound company". Apparently people with more money talk more to others. In my experience, it's typically upper income people who would purchase products from companies like this. When it comes down to it, these people are, plainly stated, lazy. They can't be bothered.

Bose home theater equipment, for example, sounds absolutely terrible. HORRIBLE. Embarrassingly bad. Especially for music. However, their customers are almost always oblivious "entry level" consumers. Any surround sound system would sound incredible to these people.

An interesting experiment would be to slap Bose logos onto a $100 Walmart surround sound system. I guarantee that these people would rant all day about how it sounds. It would actually have nothing at all to do with the product itself. It's all about brand and lack of functionality (see: ease of use)

All about it.

Anyone that does take a second to stop, think, and listen will find that a $150 entry-level receiver, a $75 Bluray player, and $50 worth of speakers absolutely blows away Bose's top of the line system - by a longshot. You know, the system that costs $3000 - $4000. The one that costs pennies to make. Ah, marketing. You've got your market cornered.

You know, nobody can be bothered with connecting a dozen wires. Or taking ten minutes to follow very simple step by step instructions showing exactly how to set something up. Because it's the end of the world if these people need to take any time at all out of their "busy lives" to set something up, or make adjustments to improve the performance of their product.

Bose systems are designed to be stupid-simple to use, and that's what these people want. On buttons.

Rather than actually buying a quality product, these types would rather piss their money away on something, again, with little more than a shiny logo. These are the people who thrive on things being barely visible - or sleek - or "taking up as little space as possible". Visually aesthetically pleasing products. Like artwork...

In the long run, these people couldn't give a rat's behind what something even sounds like. If they did, they wouldn't own Bose products. Plain and simple.

Also, flexibility is intimidating to this customer base. God forbid that they need to take a minute to learn something. "My time is money".

It's the essentially the same customer (fan) base as Apple. You can strip away the flexibility, functionality, value and modern amenities of a product, and mark that inferior piece of junk WAY up. That is, as long just as long as the product is dumbed down and "stupid-simple" to use. "It just works". Buttons and "wires" are scary stuff! The market is standing by waiting to toss away ridiculous amounts of money on your deplorable products that lack features and flexibility that everything else has.

People have become much more lazy and generally self-involved. The concept of paying much more to not have to deal with any details is accepted practice.

People don't want to have to think. About anything. Ever. We live in a lazy self-involved society where people claim that they don't seem to "have the time". This means not wanting to put a second of effort into shopping around, learning what they're buying, making adjustments to a product that they've purchased, or take a mere second more out of their self-important lives to discover better products.

"Hey, I'll buy a Bose! I've heard of those! My friend at the office has one of those radios and it sounds great! I hear it's good stuff!"

Silly consumer. How wrong you are.

If someone wants to pay 500% more for something because it "doesn't have to be adjusted", what's stopping them? Obviously they're fine with throwing their money away, and buying complete toilet fodder. With an on button. That "just works". But hey, it's all about name recognition, right? It's really pathetic, if you ask me.

"Better sound through marketing". That's what it boils down to in the case of Bose.

But hey, despite a company's underlying sleaze, or pathetic products, I suppose one can't disparage them for being able to corner and "shoot fish in a barrel" while raking in their cash with the other hand. They're certainly not shy about doing so, either.

Bose has built, and any company could build a reputation as being a leader in their field by hiring nauseatingly polite and crafty people to market, sell and support their terrible products.

Be it slick displays that prevent you from comparing their products to other products, or dime-store quality proprietary mass produced "cut down to the studs" products garbage engineered to be obsolete in a mere few years... as long as people talk about and "show off", your stuff, you're good to go. Companies like this absolutely thrive on being a cash vacuum directly linked to their customer base's wallets.

It's all about prying into wallets as much and as frequently as possible. But their customers pretty much ask for it. Enjoy your inferior pathetically oversimple products with "round around the edges" human beings representing the company. It's not about quality. Not flexibility. Not value. If it was, Bose would be boarded up and long out of business.

I worked for the company for about 5 years, about 5 years ago. I've seen the inner workings, and managed to absorb a lot about how the company works, how the products are, and more importantly how uninformed the customer base is. It's sad, really. Really sad.

I best be cautious in posting this, however. Bose is extremely "litigious". They're a very greedy company. They are the type of company to come after you with an army of lawyers for speaking of Bose in a less than flattering fashion, even if what you say is 100% true. And in this case, it is. True.

On that subject, Google "bose lawsuits" sometime, and read a couple articles. It's pretty sick. I am glad to have left the company when I did. They're an awful company that's terrible to work for. Money money money money money.
caper_1 likes this.
post #274 of 419 Old 11-24-2012, 05:25 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool View Post

Perhaps we get indignant because we don't like it when consumers are lied to and ripped off?

They're in the business of butt-screwing their customers. Trust me there. I used to work for that pathetic company.
post #275 of 419 Old 11-24-2012, 05:59 AM

Liked: 38
Hell with Bose! I want to know whatever happened to the Chicago Cubs? I remember back in 1908 they were a very good team winning the world series that year. Sadly, this team that was the gold standard, hasn't won a championship since.

Yet, they are one of the most financially successful organizations in professional baseball year after year?

Parasound 5125, Parasound 2100, Pro-ject RM 5.1SE, Dynavector 10x5, Pro-ject Phono Box S, Pro-ject Speed Box II, Arcam FMJ CD17, Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Pioneer Elite BDP-52FD, Vienna Acoustics Bach Grands, Vienna Acoustics Theatro Grand, Wharfedale Diamond 9.2s, REL T-1 & Panasonic TC-P54S1
post #276 of 419 Old 01-11-2013, 09:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophilip View Post

Plain and simple, Bose has the market cornered on people - amateurs - who want a sound system for their home - but want it to turn on and "just work".

Through some miracle of god, companies like Bose have either located or built a demographic of people who don't shop around - don't compare products - and don't want any flexibility whatsoever - they want something with little more than an on button. They want to be able to buy it and "just use it". The customer base tends to be uninformed shoppers with disposable income whose time is "much too important to waste on details".

To this demographic, if something doesn't sound terrible, it sounds "amazing". These people have nothing else to reference it to. Nor do they care to.

It's frequent that buyers of these types of products have no experience with audio equipment at all, let alone other brands or configurations of products that provide much more, for much less money. If they did have the experience and exposure, it's highly unlikely they'd buy this garbage in the first place.

Somehow Bose has made a name for itself as a "premium sound company". Apparently people with more money talk more to others. In my experience, it's typically upper income people who would purchase products from companies like this. When it comes down to it, these people are, plainly stated, lazy. They can't be bothered.

Bose home theater equipment, for example, sounds absolutely terrible. HORRIBLE. Embarrassingly bad. Especially for music. However, their customers are almost always oblivious "entry level" consumers. Any surround sound system would sound incredible to these people.

An interesting experiment would be to slap Bose logos onto a $100 Walmart surround sound system. I guarantee that these people would rant all day about how it sounds. It would actually have nothing at all to do with the product itself. It's all about brand and lack of functionality (see: ease of use)

All about it.

Anyone that does take a second to stop, think, and listen will find that a $150 entry-level receiver, a $75 Bluray player, and $50 worth of speakers absolutely blows away Bose's top of the line system - by a longshot. You know, the system that costs $3000 - $4000. The one that costs pennies to make. Ah, marketing. You've got your market cornered.

You know, nobody can be bothered with connecting a dozen wires. Or taking ten minutes to follow very simple step by step instructions showing exactly how to set something up. Because it's the end of the world if these people need to take any time at all out of their "busy lives" to set something up, or make adjustments to improve the performance of their product.

Bose systems are designed to be stupid-simple to use, and that's what these people want. On buttons.

Rather than actually buying a quality product, these types would rather piss their money away on something, again, with little more than a shiny logo. These are the people who thrive on things being barely visible - or sleek - or "taking up as little space as possible". Visually aesthetically pleasing products. Like artwork...

In the long run, these people couldn't give a rat's behind what something even sounds like. If they did, they wouldn't own Bose products. Plain and simple.

Also, flexibility is intimidating to this customer base. God forbid that they need to take a minute to learn something. "My time is money".

It's the essentially the same customer (fan) base as Apple. You can strip away the flexibility, functionality, value and modern amenities of a product, and mark that inferior piece of junk WAY up. That is, as long just as long as the product is dumbed down and "stupid-simple" to use. "It just works". Buttons and "wires" are scary stuff! The market is standing by waiting to toss away ridiculous amounts of money on your deplorable products that lack features and flexibility that everything else has.

People have become much more lazy and generally self-involved. The concept of paying much more to not have to deal with any details is accepted practice.

People don't want to have to think. About anything. Ever. We live in a lazy self-involved society where people claim that they don't seem to "have the time". This means not wanting to put a second of effort into shopping around, learning what they're buying, making adjustments to a product that they've purchased, or take a mere second more out of their self-important lives to discover better products.

"Hey, I'll buy a Bose! I've heard of those! My friend at the office has one of those radios and it sounds great! I hear it's good stuff!"

Silly consumer. How wrong you are.

If someone wants to pay 500% more for something because it "doesn't have to be adjusted", what's stopping them? Obviously they're fine with throwing their money away, and buying complete toilet fodder. With an on button. That "just works". But hey, it's all about name recognition, right? It's really pathetic, if you ask me.

"Better sound through marketing". That's what it boils down to in the case of Bose.

But hey, despite a company's underlying sleaze, or pathetic products, I suppose one can't disparage them for being able to corner and "shoot fish in a barrel" while raking in their cash with the other hand. They're certainly not shy about doing so, either.

Bose has built, and any company could build a reputation as being a leader in their field by hiring nauseatingly polite and crafty people to market, sell and support their terrible products.

Be it slick displays that prevent you from comparing their products to other products, or dime-store quality proprietary mass produced "cut down to the studs" products garbage engineered to be obsolete in a mere few years... as long as people talk about and "show off", your stuff, you're good to go. Companies like this absolutely thrive on being a cash vacuum directly linked to their customer base's wallets.

It's all about prying into wallets as much and as frequently as possible. But their customers pretty much ask for it. Enjoy your inferior pathetically oversimple products with "round around the edges" human beings representing the company. It's not about quality. Not flexibility. Not value. If it was, Bose would be boarded up and long out of business.

I worked for the company for about 5 years, about 5 years ago. I've seen the inner workings, and managed to absorb a lot about how the company works, how the products are, and more importantly how uninformed the customer base is. It's sad, really. Really sad.

I best be cautious in posting this, however. Bose is extremely "litigious". They're a very greedy company. They are the type of company to come after you with an army of lawyers for speaking of Bose in a less than flattering fashion, even if what you say is 100% true. And in this case, it is. True.

On that subject, Google "bose lawsuits" sometime, and read a couple articles. It's pretty sick. I am glad to have left the company when I did. They're an awful company that's terrible to work for. Money money money money money.

As a former owner of Krell and Dynaudio equipment...Your spelling is absolutely atrocious! I highly doubt that you have worked for Mc Donalds let alone Bose! You are the nauseating "turd" you are speaking of!. I fully believe that you are an utter and complete liar! What kind of audio equipment have YOU, ever owned?!?!?!? I am neither ignorant, nor uninformed! I know how to use Google and Google Scholar! I have bought many pieces of audio equipment over the years and I enjoy the Bose LS 235...Was it pricey? Yes! Was it worth it? Yes, to me, it was!

I have met and talked to Amar Bose, he is far from a greedy person! He has all but given his legacy to MIT! I have also personally spoken with Dan and Brett D'Agostino, and they do not have the vapid hatred that you do toward Bose! You can feel sorry for me all that you want, but within the next year I will be buying more "high end" audio than you have ever thought of owning!

Go back to work for Burger King, or whatever hole that you came from! While you are at it, go buy yourself a clue and a spelling lesson!

Sorry for dredging up an old thread.
post #277 of 419 Old 01-11-2013, 09:59 PM
Advanced Member

And you worked for Bose for five years? So you sold Sh&t for five years??? You are a moron!!! There it is, someone said it!

Maybe through better luck, brains or breeding I can buy nearly anything that I choose to. What are you doing these days?

I am sorry for dredging up an old thread , but he needed a spanking!

I am going to listen to some Buck Owens, later!
post #278 of 419 Old 01-11-2013, 10:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 58
and the list gets longer... smile.gif

What a long, strange trip its been....
post #279 of 419 Old 01-11-2013, 11:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray View Post

Here is the catch....there is NO best speaker in the world since everyone has different ears, different rooms, different budgets, different priorities.

Speaker design is simply about compromises...pick your compromise and go from

there.

BOSE actually does do some serious R&D stuff. They actually findout what sounds good to the untrained/uneducated masses with almost a zero foot print and will be liked by non-audiophiles that takes some research.

I think its funny that people really believe that making the "best" speaker is best for any company. The "best" speaker in any category is a company's worst nightmare since it seldom can be reproduced at a low cost and it can seldom be sold in large volumes. The bottom line for any company is to make a profit. The bottom line is not to make the best speaker.

BOSE is in the audio business. They are not in the audiophile business and that is okay for most people consider looks more important that the relative SQ of any system.

I have to agree with you! It is a business and they sound acceptable. I have bought two Bose systems due to WAF/GAF! I had a significant other to make happy, and, I did it! It did not end my life, or make me worse for hearing them!

I have no problem with Bose's sales practices! They do not say they are the best. At least Bose sells sound quality, what does Shunyata, and Audioquest, for example, sell?

If you want to attack companies for selling snake oil then choose others than Bose. They are successful for a reason, they sell to decision makers (wives/girlfriends)! If the Bose makes my girl happy (and her friends) then I am a happy man! Is it better sounding than I thought it would be? Yes. I talked my GF into the LS 235 and we are now both pretty happy with the results.

The fact is, other companies have had 20+ years to come up with a better solution and none of them have! Fact, women (in general) see Bose and they get weak in the knees! Is Bose a monster? Nope! They fill a very good niche that nobody else does! My GF is a bank VP and I work for an oil co. we make a sinful amount of money!

Until you have owned a Bose or a Krell, or Dynaudio, or etc., what do have to say?
post #280 of 419 Old 01-12-2013, 02:36 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by math-geek View Post

I have to agree with you! It is a business and they sound acceptable. I have bought two Bose systems due to WAF/GAF! I had a significant other to make happy, and, I did it! It did not end my life, or make me worse for hearing them!

I have no problem with Bose's sales practices! They do not say they are the best. At least Bose sells sound quality, what does Shunyata, and Audioquest, for example, sell?

If you want to attack companies for selling snake oil then choose others than Bose. They are successful for a reason, they sell to decision makers (wives/girlfriends)! If the Bose makes my girl happy (and her friends) then I am a happy man! Is it better sounding than I thought it would be? Yes. I talked my GF into the LS 235 and we are now both pretty happy with the results.

The fact is, other companies have had 20+ years to come up with a better solution and none of them have! Fact, women (in general) see Bose and they get weak in the knees! Is Bose a monster? Nope! They fill a very good niche that nobody else does! My GF is a bank VP and I work for an oil co. we make a sinful amount of money!

Until you have owned a Bose or a Krell, or Dynaudio, or etc., what do have to say?
Do you really believe this? Sound quality as compared to who? I can assure you that my $700 Mirage satallite system will simply outshine anything Bose has to offer at half the price. Not to mention its similar in size to the Bose Acoustimass cubes. Have I owned Bose??? Hell no! But I did grow up in a household with Bose products, so needless to say, I am very familiar with the product line.

Also, I don't understand what you mean by saying no other company has come up with a better solution. Solution to what, bettter sound? If thats the case , you are sadly mistaken(read my above statement). If you mean a better solution to marketing, I will agree. But that WAF/GAF card is overplayed. I been married 16 years and I doubt my wife will ever let a HT ruin our relationship...hasn't so far. But thats neither here nor there. If you are buying Bose because it makes your girl happy, all I can say is ....WOW! Enjoy spending that "sinful" amount of money on Bose products while getting a truely sinful amount of quality in return.
post #281 of 419 Old 04-23-2013, 09:59 AM

Liked: 12
Ummm...wow. The blatant snobbery in this forum is unreal. A lot of you guys sound like Ferrari owners that put down Chevy for making the Malibu, just because it's not "the best car made", while missing the point that the Malibu is simply all the car most people want or need, and at a price they are willing to pay.

Does Bose market themselves as "The Best"? Of course they do. Don't ALL companies market their products as "The Best" for their intended category and market? That's simple Marketing 101, and certainly doesn't make Bose deserving of the "Anti-Christ" title a lot of you seem to want to tag them with.

Bose makes a decent product that meets the criteria of those that purchase it, IE decent sound from simple and unobtrusive equipment. As for the "not worth the money" statements, that's just plain silly. A product is worth what people are willing to pay for it, nothing more nothing less. And judging by the success of the Bose Corporation, a LOT of people think their products are in fact "worth the money".

Is Bose "The Best"? Of course not, nor is it marketed as such. It's also most certainly not the worst, and it does the job it's designed to do admirably well. Bose equipment isn't targeted at snobbish "audiophiles" that would condemn one product over another based on minute differences in technical specifications that few if any could even detect with their ears, it's targeted at the busy family that wants small simple equipment that is easy to set up, unobtrusive, and sounds decent. At that, they succeed.

When I got divorced and moved out on my own (Into a rather small house), leaving my entire HT system behind, I bought a Cinemate II, just for those reasons. It was small, simple, and sounds decent. It's not the greatest, but it's certainly not the worst either. And those of you that keep saying things like the cheapo $200 "Home Theater in a box" systems blow Bose away, well that's just laughable at best. I have to think, either you've never heard any of those crappy low-end HTIAB systems, or you're just letting your hatred of Bose get in the way of using rational thought.
post #282 of 419 Old 04-23-2013, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Thanks for bumping the three yr old thread for that ringing endorsement of the cinemate system!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #283 of 419 Old 04-23-2013, 10:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 383
Quote:
Does Bose market themselves as "The Best"? Of course they do. Don't ALL companies market their products as "The Best" for their intended category and market?
Quote:
[Is Bose "The Best"? Of course not, nor is it marketed as such

So which is it? Do they market themselves as the best or not?

Afro GT
post #284 of 419 Old 04-23-2013, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post

Thanks for bumping the three yr old thread for that ringing endorsement of the cinemate system!

LOL, I wasn't trying to endorse anything, just tossing my two cents into the ring...cool.gif

As for the "three year old thread", the post before mine was in January, hardly three years ago...confused.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

So which is it? Do they market themselves as the best or not?

Ooops, I guess I should pay more attention to what I write...biggrin.gif

According to many of the posts here, they apparently claim to be the penultimate audio equipment, but the reality is they market themselves as exactly what they are, audio equipment that makes good sound from an unobtrusive and nearly invisible footprint. Bose may not be "The Best" to the ears of a picky self-proclaimed audiophile, but they do have warm rich sound that's pleasant to listen to, without having to sit inside a two-foot-square box somewhere other than where I want to sit to hear it.
post #285 of 419 Old 04-23-2013, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Warm rich sound? That's a good one! You should do stand up comedy!

Dumb enough to spend lots of cash on this junk!
post #286 of 419 Old 04-23-2013, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool View Post

Warm rich sound? That's a good one! You should do stand up comedy!

It's all relative.

Compared to true high-end equipment, Bose is lacking. But when compared to those two-three-four-hundred dollar "Home Theater In A Box" systems that populate the shelves in Best Buy, WalMart, etc., Bose is much much better.

Millions of people disagree with those of you that speak of Bose with disdain.

Would I like something better? Of course. I've owned better in the past, and I am sure that I will again. But for now, the Cinemate fills a need for me, it fits my current life. It's not the greatest, but it's also not deserving of the vitriol I've been reading here.
post #287 of 419 Old 04-23-2013, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Sorry spanky, I'd have to disagree. I know it's hard to admit the "warts" in your system, especially when you paid good money to own one. But, if you enjoy them, all the better, to each their own....
Rashman likes this.
post #288 of 419 Old 04-23-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cvetan1 View Post

Sorry spanky, I'd have to disagree. I know it's hard to admit the "warts" in your system, especially when you paid good money to own one. But, if you enjoy them, all the better, to each their own....

I know it's not perfect, far from it. But it's also not as bad as some of you guys want to claim. As some have stated, Bose has found a very large market niche and done a very good job of providing that market with what they want.

If Bose really was as bad as some of you guys claim, they would cease to exist as a company, nobody would buy their products. Clearly, they manage to satisfy a large number of customers, and that speaks volumes. Many consumers are NOT as ignorant and ill-informed as you guys would seem to believe.
Quote:
But, if you enjoy them, all the better, to each their own

And it's really that simple. I do in fact enjoy them. No, they aren't as good as the Onkyo/Orb system I left behind,, not by a long shot, but they were also less than one quarter of the price. And for now, until I get back on my feet, they are good enough, as they are incomparably better than the integral TV speakers, and substantially better than any of the HTIAB systems that I sampled at Best Buy when I was shopping.
post #289 of 419 Old 04-23-2013, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Bose has done a good job with marketing and brainwashing the average Joe. If Bose spent a quarter of what they do on marketing, and use that in their speakers, they might be on to something that sounds good.

I've also heard from people who work retail, that Bose spends GOOD money on those end caps. Did you ever notice that they are never near any other speaker systems, so you can compare the two?
post #290 of 419 Old 04-23-2013, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spanky250 View Post

I know it's not perfect, far from it. But it's also not as bad as some of you guys want to claim.

I think the main point of disdain for most folks is that through marketing, Bose convinces people to pay more for less quality. That is to say, in most cases you could spend a similar amount of money and get much better quality if you looked elsewhere from Bose. I don't personally blame Bose as a company for the successful marketing of their products -- in fact I respect the fact that they are able to make money in this way. But personally, I choose not to spend money on their products.
post #291 of 419 Old 04-23-2013, 01:21 PM

Marketing can not fool someone into thinking that a bad sounding speaker sounds good. So clearly, Bose is not as bad as some of you guys claim, or no one would buy them.
post #292 of 419 Old 04-23-2013, 01:26 PM

Marketing maybe not but ignorance.......absolutely!!! Yes I am talking from experience since I own Bose 321 and AM6 which are both boxed up and ready to be sold to someone who doesn't know any better just like me when I bought them.
post #293 of 419 Old 04-23-2013, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 103
I actually purchased a Bose Cinemate II a few years back to try it out. It was around $500 or so (I think it was $480 something plus tax). I returned it the same day. I compared it to some sub $199 RBH compact bookshelf speakers I had on hand and an older Polk PSW10 subwoofer that you can usually find for around $70-80 new. Hooked up to a $150 Onkyo receiver and there was no comparison. The RBH speakers and Polk sounded so much better it was not a competition. I did a blind test with my wife (who is not an audiophile) and she picked the RBH/Polk combo and asked me how much the other speakers cost. She then told me to return them smile.gif

Some of the Bose Lifestyle systems go up to almost $4K, and I am pretty sure I can assemble a $1K system that would blow it away.

Bose has really good marketing, and good brand recognition. I have been careful when discussing Bose with my friends, but many of them are coming around..
post #294 of 419 Old 04-23-2013, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Unless your stated goal is "expensive, tiny speakers with poor LF response, poor HF response, and a giant hole in the midbass," there is no "niche" that these speakers fill. If you want small lifestyle speakers, there are better (and cheaper) options. It's really that simple.
post #295 of 419 Old 04-23-2013, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

Marketing can not fool someone into thinking that a bad sounding speaker sounds good. So clearly, Bose is not as bad as some of you guys claim, or no one would buy them.

The uninformed, who buy Bose, usually, haven't heard any other speakers. They see a Bose ad in People magazine or a friend, who saw same ad, tells them that Bose is the best, so they head out to Best Buy, listen to one Bose setup, determine it sounds great without hearing any other speakers, see the super-high price tag and assume speakers this expensive must be da bomb. This is all compounded by the 18 year old, zit-faced Best Buy salesmen, who, assures them that Bose is super-awesome. He has, after all, had hours of grueling Best Buy training which has taught him how, totally radical, Bose is. Oh, and don't forget, we hide the Bose display way off on the other side of the store, away from the other audio products, as per Bose's requirements for retailers, so people aren't tempted to compare them to other speakers. Yup, legit scenario right there.

Or just go into an actual Bose store. You'll find more lies and propaganda than Nazi Germany.

Quote:
Of course, I got it modified with the TK-427, which cheeks it up another, maybe, 3 or 4 quads per channel.
post #296 of 419 Old 04-23-2013, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEastSide View Post

The uninformed, who buy Bose, usually, haven't heard any other speakers. They see a Bose ad in People magazine or a friend, who saw same ad, tells them that Bose is the best, so they head out to Best Buy, listen to one Bose setup, determine it sounds great without hearing any other speakers, see the super-high price tag and assume speakers this expensive must be da bomb. This is all compounded by the 18 year old, zit-faced Best Buy salesmen, who, assures them that Bose is super-awesome. He has, after all, had hours of grueling Best Buy training which has taught him how, totally radical, Bose is. Oh, and don't forget, we hide the Bose display way off on the other side of the store, away from the other audio products, as per Bose's requirements for retailers, so people aren't tempted to compare them to other speakers. Yup, legit scenario right there.

Or just go into an actual Bose store. You'll find more lies and propaganda than Nazi Germany.

Ummm...yeah. Because every one that buys a Bose product is a bumbling idiot.

I listened to several different HTIAB set-ups in the Best Buy (the only electronics retailer we have here), by Panasonic, Sony and others, and all of the lower priced ones sucked, the Bose just didn't suck as bad. It was the best of the under-$500 systems that they had set up to listen to.

Like I said, I've owned better products before, and I will again. But the Bose suited my needs for now, at a price I found palatable for what I feel that I got. It doesn't compare to the Onkyo/Orb system that I had before, but neither does the price tag.
post #297 of 419 Old 04-23-2013, 07:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Back in the mid-1990's I almost bought into the Bose hype as well. The newly-opened BestBuy had the Bose kiosk set up with the TVs -- on the opposite end of the store from where the speakers were. I walked into that Bose "sound bubble" and immediately thought, " these speakers suck " and went to where the REAL speakers were and bought a JBL setup for around the same money.

Bose blows chunks and is why I call them Blose.

HD-DVD = 94
Blu-Ray = 120 ( 24 Warner red2blu )
post #298 of 419 Old 04-23-2013, 07:27 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

Ummm...yeah. Because every one that buys a Bose product is a bumbling idiot.

I listened to several different HTIAB set-ups in the Best Buy (the only electronics retailer we have here), by Panasonic, Sony and others, and all of the lower priced ones sucked, the Bose just didn't suck as bad. It was the best of the under-$500 systems that they had set up to listen to.

Like I said, I've owned better products before, and I will again. But the Bose suited my needs for now, at a price I found palatable for what I feel that I got. It doesn't compare to the Onkyo/Orb system that I had before, but neither does the price tag.

Can you do a frequency sweep and share the findings? The systems 5-10 years ago were reported to do 45-200hz and 280-13khz plus/minus 10dB

To me the $50 BIC DV32's with a $100 sub would be a good budget 2.1 alternative with compact size.
post #299 of 419 Old 04-23-2013, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 496
Quote:

.. they apparently claim to be the penultimate audio equipment,..

You do realize that penultimate means "next to last"?
post #300 of 419 Old 04-23-2013, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Bose, no tweeter, no decent highs. Bose, no subwoofer, no decent lows...
It is just simple facts... A tweeter-less system with a bass module and no subwoofer is going to sound like crap! The Energy take classic, often found for under 400 dollars, will easily out perform a Bose system... In output and freq response!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page