Advertisement

post #92 of 419 Old 09-08-2010, 03:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:
99% of the population feels sorry for that sort of obssession and loneliness.

I'd say 99% of the population doesn't care about the guy sitting in the dark listening to his music.

Quote:
Maybe Mac lovers (who obsess about Microsoft 24/7) and Audiophiles (who obsess about BOSE) can get a convention started so they can complain about other so called greedy companies ripping off the nation with inferior products.

The Mac lovers I know don't think about Microsoft at all. They're not techy type users. They just happily use their computer for whatever their needs may be which is minor graphics/creative apps, internet browsing, social networking and iTunes.

Afro GT
post #93 of 419 Old 09-08-2010, 03:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsky HiFi View Post

Humor... does not live here I guess.

Sorry, the snark and the humor were so intertwined that I didn't know what I was looking at.
post #94 of 419 Old 09-08-2010, 10:39 PM

Liked: 10
All good.
post #95 of 419 Old 09-09-2010, 05:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Palmer_Cass View Post

Let see if you can break down Bose revenues into categories. Do you think that home audio is a dominant category?

From what I've seen since the beginning of HT, thus MC systems, most only care about having a huge screen and give very little, if any thought to the sound system. My ex would fit into that group. Bought a big screen tv and used the free match box sized speaker system.

So no, compared to the total population of NA, the majority don't care about audio quality. How much of the pop. listen to mp3, ipods and the like, probably 90%.
There is only a very small % of the pop. that really sits down and "listens" to music in the sweet spot. I'm one of those and have been all my adult life. My two kids, now both in their 20s do the same, they just followed my example.
post #96 of 419 Old 09-09-2010, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
FLAC all the way!!

Also, watching a movie on a small TV with a great sound system is far better than watching it on a HUGE TV with none or a puny one.

HT: Yamaha RX-V565 | 3 X Energy Take FPS, 2 X VS Surround, 2 X Take LCR | DIY Subs: SDX12 APR15 & TRIO12 Dual APR 12's | 47" LCD

Music: Yamaha RX-V863 | 2 X Energy RC-70 | MA RXw12 Sub

Bathroom: 2 X Energy Take LCR

Car: Sony Xplod HU, Xplod 6X9s, Kenwood 4"s, Alpine 12" Type-S, Rockford Amp,...

post #97 of 419 Old 09-09-2010, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper_1 View Post

FLAC all the way!!

Also, watching a movie on a small TV with a great sound system is far better than watching it on a HUGE TV with none or a puny one.

No doubt in my mind about that statement. When I moved to SA I packed the 7 channel system and left the big RPTV.
post #98 of 419 Old 09-09-2010, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

FLAC all the way!!

Oh yeah. Right now I'm watching my 58" flat screen without any sound system other than the TV speakers, while I'm awaiting delivery of a completely new system. The wait is killing me.

Tom
post #99 of 419 Old 09-09-2010, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Be careful what you read...
As in previous threads about Bose over the years...
This thread is now being hit by people who clearly work for the company so they are obviously biased.

I remember the Bose system in my 2002 Acura TL Type S. It was the worst car system I have EVER had by far.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" -Arthur C. Clarke
post #100 of 419 Old 09-09-2010, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgerman View Post

What downfall? Bose products are not SOTA but they don't sound horrible either.

Most but not all of their products sound horrible.
Quote:

1. Wave CD/Radio- What high end company would invest in making an alarm clock sound descent?

Not Bose.
Quote:

2. QC15- What high end company thought about noise cancelling technology? And newflash, these actually sound better than much of the competition, with the boomy bass firmed in this generation. They sound better than the vaunted Sennheiser PC450.

Noise cancelling headphones have been used in aviation for over 50 years. Bose certainly didn't invent it.
Quote:

3. satellite/sub- before the ancient Bose AM-3 speakers, what high end company thought of packaging book shelf speakers with a sub? Now its common as rain.

2.1 systems have been marketed since the 70s. Bose simply marketed better than some others.
Quote:

4. Who was the first company to team up with a car maker?

Blaupunkt, back in the 1930s.
Quote:

5.Finally, how many of us 'audiopiles' got our first taste of descent music on a Bose system. Many, including myself.

Sorry to hear that.
Quote:

Bose have made many mistakes,

Yes, Bose calls them "speakers".
Quote:

even Amar himself admitted he almost bankrupted the company spending so much on certain pet projects. One being the electric active suspension....oops.

There used to be an employee from the Bose automotive division who used to post here,but as usual some here ran him off (actually, I bet he was posting without the permission of the company and was told to stop). But while he was posting he gave us
some insights into the company-

1.The company could play in the high end market, not enough money in it.

At least they admit they are just in it for the money.
Quote:

2. Many of the Bose engineers are themselves audiophiles.

Which makes their shame even greater.
Quote:

3.The car and home division have different marketing goals. Thats why the car systems sound nothing like their home systems.

I have a Bose sytem that came with my car and it sounds as awful if not worse than any Bose home system.
post #101 of 419 Old 09-09-2010, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I also would liken Bose to McDonalds. McD has very high consistency and available everywhere. I have been to McD in Milan, Venice, Paris, California, China, Malaysia, Singapore... all very consistent in taste and experience. If there were an InNOut burger next door in each of those places, I would have chosen InNOut. But InNOut is only in the south west of the USA

What is Bose's specialty? Small speakers that one can buy anywhere in the world.

I just finished reading a book about supply chain and product availability...guess what? The masses buy what is instantly available to them. Instant gratification. Please recall the higher ones IQ the longer one is willing to delay gratification.

Go to any big box store around the planet and one can walk out with a Bose system. Do you want to wait a week for a better speaker value to get shipped to you in the mail? Then you are a 2% fringe enthusiast with a higher IQ.
post #102 of 419 Old 09-09-2010, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riffmeister View Post

I have a Bose sytem that came with my car and it sounds as awful if not worse than any Bose home system.

I will agree with you on this one. My Infiniti G37 with the Bose system is definitely not that impressive. The highs are harsh and the lows are muddy if you crank them at all. It took quite a bit of playing with it to find how to make it sound decent, but right off the bat my old Honda Accord had a better factory system. Plus I don't know if its like this in all vehicles but XM Sound quality sucks. Playing MP3's of a USB Thumbdrive sounds much much better.
post #103 of 419 Old 09-09-2010, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, Bose calls them "speakers".

That would depend on one's definition of speakers. Certainly not mine. And I've yet to hear ANY Bose speaker that even came close to my various high end JBLs, including the '77 L212s (a 2.1 system), '00 Performance Series (again a sat/sub system), or even the early '70s L55s, which I had when the 901s first came out.
post #104 of 419 Old 09-09-2010, 08:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by tleavit View Post

Be careful what you read...
As in previous threads about Bose over the years...
This thread is now being hit by people who clearly work for the company so they are obviously biased.

I remember the Bose system in my 2002 Acura TL Type S. It was the worst car system I have EVER had by far.

I took the Bose system out of my Acura Legend coupe within a month a purchasing the vehicle.

Afro GT
post #105 of 419 Old 09-09-2010, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I love these He-man Bose Haters club threads. You guys got a pledge as well?

Yes, I work for Bose and the New World Order
post #106 of 419 Old 09-09-2010, 08:59 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Palmer_Cass View Post

The vast majority of the population would never consider this setup regardless of the SQ. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Where is the subwoofer and center channel hidden (or not)?

OMG. I'd hate to be sitting in that easy chair on the left when you kick that sucker on. I have visions of the opening scene of Back to the Future.
post #107 of 419 Old 09-09-2010, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1027 View Post

OMG. I'd hate to be sitting in that easy chair on the left when you kick that sucker on. I have visions of the opening scene of Back to the Future.

Yeah, it does look like some very poorly disguised practical joke. "Hey, Grandma, why don't you go sit in that chair over there." *snicker snicker*
post #108 of 419 Old 09-09-2010, 11:14 PM

Liked: 12
It's a long post, but really a singular view. Bose markets well and their marketing achieves something that has value -- it gets the products to where people can listen to them and make a decision of their own. Bose produces a product that a lot of people like, and that's a valid viewpoint even if it isn't yours. There's nothing wrong with profit.

I would not buy Bose for my main system, but I wouldn't buy Wilson Audio either -- for different reasons. People's tastes and priorities differ.
post #109 of 419 Old 09-10-2010, 01:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuhulin View Post

There's nothing wrong with profit.

So, you'd be fine with your ISP if they raised your subscription rate by 500% next month? Now, don't tell me that you'd switch to another ISP. Your current ISP is just trying to maximize their profits. You don't mind paying them more when you could get the same or better service from another provider for much cheaper, do you? You wouldn't warn your family, friends, and strangers about your ISP, would you?

The fact, as everyone knows, is that said ISP would be out of business in a heartbeat if they did such a thing. Amazingly, people know better. However, with Bose, they've done such a crack job of building their name over the years that people don't even believe that there are real alternatives, from equal to far better, for much less. They thrive on the perpetuation of consumer ignorance and, while it ruffles the feathers of the aspiring capitalist set, I find there to be something wrong with that.
post #110 of 419 Old 09-10-2010, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Many have already viewed this, but without it, the thread wouldn't be complete.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCBe7...layer_embedded

Kind of puts it all into perspective.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." -Robert A. Heinlein

Volunteer Moderator for the Chase Home Theater forum

post #111 of 419 Old 09-10-2010, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1027 View Post

Funny that even 25yrs later people are still taking about that movie

Seriously though, why are we comparing Bose to full HT systems? Comparing to HTIB would be more fair. IMHO Bose is just an expensive HTIB, no more, no less.
post #112 of 419 Old 09-10-2010, 06:00 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hello everyone,

Based on the topic of this thread, I have to jump in!

Below is a quote from a thread I started titled "Do cheap speakers sometimes sound better?". I picked up a yard sale pair of Sony speakers to experiment with watts ratings for my receiver. Much to my surprise, these "cheap" Sonys sounded much better than my Bose 301s & 201s. And, I "thought" since the Bose were "vintage" from the good old days, there would be no comparison!

To the point, the quote of my own words:

"...As for the Bose sets I have, I was the typical Bose customer. Both Bose sets were bought while I was in a hurry, Bose was the name I "recognized" from the 70s, and the prices were in ranges I wanted. So, I was the typical targeted customer of Bose marketing!

But I never put any of my Bose speakers directly up against another set until this pair of Sony speakers. After reading all the posts, I realized everyone was right, the "cheap" Sony set was a better speaker, regardless of price!..."

In the end, for my "audio dollar", I want the most value for audio quality. It took me years to learn that Bose does not provide that value. So, now these Bose sets will find their way to my teenage son's room for video game use. Though now I question if they'll sound better than the Altec Lansing computer speakers currently connected!

Sometimes I have to remind myself that I bought all this "stuff" to enjoy it!
post #113 of 419 Old 09-10-2010, 06:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by vraxoin View Post

So, you'd be fine with your ISP if they raised your subscription rate by 500% next month? Now, don't tell me that you'd switch to another ISP. Your current ISP is just trying to maximize their profits. You don't mind paying them more when you could get the same or better service from another provider for much cheaper, do you? You wouldn't warn your family, friends, and strangers about your ISP, would you?

The fact, as everyone knows, is that said ISP would be out of business in a heartbeat if they did such a thing. Amazingly, people know better. However, with Bose, they've done such a crack job of building their name over the years that people don't even believe that there are real alternatives, from equal to far better, for much less. They thrive on the perpetuation of consumer ignorance and, while it ruffles the feathers of the aspiring capitalist set, I find there to be something wrong with that.

Its call supply and demand. My ISP can do what they want...they can raise their rates 500% because its call a free society. Which also means I can find another ISP and not pay for the increased rates. Would I be angry? Sure but I also know my ISP will fail in doing it so I will get the last laugh when they go under Bad analogy though one is a service and the other is a luxury item. ISP is a necessity in todays world...speakers are not

Its okay to explain why BOSE sucks to everyone we can, This and other sites do it daily. I have explained BOSE to many friends too and hopefully they learned something. Of course I do not blame BOSE for making money at all, they are filling a niche, if they didnt do it someone else will. Companies will set price points as high as they can, BOSE obviously has a price point that still sells so why does anyone care. Besides again 99% of the population are not audiophilles, do not want to be audiophiles, do not like to obsess over audio. They just want something that sounds good to them and its out of the way.....That is BOSE! The ignorance here isnt the BOSE owner its the audiophile that thinks everyone has to choose and enjoy audio like them Trust me no one wants to be like most audiophiles

Those who think greed is evil just get over it and make more money, Greed is good and it actually helps the economy more then the guy at home complaining and never spending money!! No one is forcing you or anyone else to buy BOSE. Ask yourselves this do you WASTE money on other audio components? Why are you not angry with yourself over those foolish purchases? Why not complain and call those companies greedy and evil? I suspect most here CHOOSE to think because they buy it it can not be bad....

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #114 of 419 Old 09-10-2010, 07:12 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I've had a chance to demo many Bose speakers over the past year, some belonging to friends, and others in electronics stores. And every single speaker line I demo'd was simply lacking in sound quality. All of them distorted at medium volumes, they all look and feel incredibly cheap, etc.

Bose is a very successful business, but aren't useful for enthusiasts. Just like Macintosh computers. They are well marketed, but simply lack value when compared to prebuilt PCs.
post #115 of 419 Old 09-10-2010, 07:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 30
Dont going dissing the Mac lovers! They will tell you the Mac is far superior to the PC

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #116 of 419 Old 09-10-2010, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

I had a '89 Cadillac Biarritz with the premium Bose system in it and it sounded pretty good. I got lots of comments from passengers about the sound system. The speakers each had their own amp mounted to the speaker. I had to replace one and it was expensive as hell but luckily I ended up finding one at a junk yard. I think because the cadillac was so quiet in the passenger compartment it made the stereo sound better to most people. Overall I really can not bash the system that was in the caddy, it was very clean sounding but it didnot have much volume. I forgot how much extra it added to the sticker price it was just one of the options that came with that particular model (the Biarritz). By the way, I ordered it with the touring suspension package and was told that it was the first one equipped with that West of Tenn. and I never did see another like in CA. They were noticiable because they came with Snowflake aluminum wheels, very distinctive. I'm rambling now so I better stop. You can see my other interest besides audio, CARS.
post #117 of 419 Old 09-10-2010, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWG707 View Post

I had a '89 Cadillac Biarritz with the premium Bose system in it and it sounded pretty good. I got lots of comments from passengers about the sound system. The speakers each had their own amp mounted to the speaker. I had to replace one and it was expensive as hell but luckily I ended up finding one at a junk yard. I think because the cadillac was so quiet in the passenger compartment it made the stereo sound better to most people. Overall I really can not bash the system that was in the caddy, it was very clean sounding but it didnot have much volume. I forgot how much extra it added to the sticker price it was just one of the options that came with that particular model (the Biarritz). By the way, I ordered it with the touring suspension package and was told that it was the first one equipped with that West of Tenn. and I never did see another like in CA. They were noticiable because they came with Snowflake aluminum wheels, very distinctive. I'm rambling now so I better stop. You can see my other interest besides audio, CARS.

Did you get the Bose suspension too! lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSi6J-QK1lw
post #118 of 419 Old 09-10-2010, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:

...the premium Bose system in it and it sounded pretty good.... I forgot how much extra it added to the sticker price ...

Shouldn't a 'premium system' sound great?? Was the 'pretty good' sound reflecting of the 'added sticker price'? I would bet any half decent system would have sounded just 'as good' or better for less...that is pretty much everyone's point.

HT: Yamaha RX-V565 | 3 X Energy Take FPS, 2 X VS Surround, 2 X Take LCR | DIY Subs: SDX12 APR15 & TRIO12 Dual APR 12's | 47" LCD

Music: Yamaha RX-V863 | 2 X Energy RC-70 | MA RXw12 Sub

Bathroom: 2 X Energy Take LCR

Car: Sony Xplod HU, Xplod 6X9s, Kenwood 4"s, Alpine 12" Type-S, Rockford Amp,...

post #119 of 419 Old 09-10-2010, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

I had a '89 Cadillac Biarritz with the premium Bose system in it and it sounded pretty good. I got lots of comments from passengers about the sound system. ....

Well I have to agree here somewhat about the car audio systems, but also disagree...

I had a Mercedes E class sedan with the "Bose Premium" sound system, and it did sound great! However, I think this was due more to the acoustics of the interior as my current Mercedes E station wagon (w/an even more expensive Bose "Premium" audio system) sounds terrible. Believe me, neither system was cheap! (well, price wise). I paid more for a 6 disc CD changer than my entire AV audio set up!

But...the speakers look "impressive" to many people with the nifty little "Bose" pins...

Sometimes I have to remind myself that I bought all this "stuff" to enjoy it!
post #120 of 419 Old 09-10-2010, 08:27 AM

Quote:

Shouldn't a 'premium system' sound great?? Was the 'pretty good' sound reflecting of the 'added sticker price'? I would bet any half decent system would have sounded just 'as good' or better for less...that is pretty much everyone's point.

All OEM car radio systems are overpriced! So that one does not really work too compare anything and all aftermarket Car Audio is better then OEM car audio! The car manufactures know this and that is way they built the heating/A/C system controls in with the radio so people have a hard time changing them and need too spend more money too do it and then they say it is hard too change the radio and it will cost you more too put a aftermarket system in so just buy are Bose junk!
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page