post #181 of 419 Old 09-12-2010, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsky HiFi View Post

Twenty some odd years later my 601's still sound great, yes with paper tweeters and drivers. Maybe you don't need all the fancy exotic materials to sound great.

Most of us think our systems sound great, especially if we've had them a long time, until we sit down and listen to something better. And when you hear a better system, you know it right off.
Now if one never ventures to seek out higher quality systems, then you end up with a sense of false satisfaction.
In my case, I've heard better and heard much worse, more worse than better.
I have been into Magnolia and never heard anything even close to what I've got. But I have auditioned Revel Salon2 and they were better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 419 Old 09-12-2010, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There will always be something that sounds better.
post #183 of 419 Old 09-12-2010, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

True, even if one was to own a JBL Everest II. Because, at some point in time, JBL or some other company would better it. But I'd think that time is a long way off.
post #184 of 419 Old 09-12-2010, 10:21 AM

Opinions are great!
post #185 of 419 Old 09-12-2010, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Opinions are great!

How is what I said an opinion? I was agreeing with what you said. There will always be something better, no matter what you own. Although it may or may not already exist.
post #186 of 419 Old 09-12-2010, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyken View Post

Bashing Bose on an audio forum is easy. It's like shooting fish in a barrel. I've done it and so have a lot of other people who have come here. It's a nice cushy target for audiophile wannabees. It's safe.

Hate to tell you this, but you just jumped out of that nice, cushy, safe bose-bashing wash pot into a very hot frying pan. Hope you have asbestos boots, Jamespblues.

I know I hit the Klipsch people too which they get mad if you bring up about Horns and they don't sound good but whatever. Just enjoy your stuff and I will enjoy mine. good luck
post #187 of 419 Old 09-12-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DHD View Post

How is what I said an opinion? I was agreeing with what you said. There will always be something better, no matter what you own. Although it may or may not already exist.

Every Fact is any opinion on here and you need too write a book too everyone too prove it. If people don't like the truth (Fact) They say it is your opinion like Not seal paper drives don't last long but it is a Fact (truth) that it does not! Now I have too find 20 websites and paper documents too prove it but then at the end of wasting my time it will be my opinion anyway. There are more Home Audio company's now that don't use paper or not sealed paper drives and Horns then company's that do why because they know it is not that great. I am now waiting too get bashed for my fact (truth)

P.S who in 2010 going on 2011 uses a full range mid-woofer for a Tweeter other then Bose
post #188 of 419 Old 09-12-2010, 10:46 AM

Fact is, people have an opinion's and opinion's don't make it fact.
post #189 of 419 Old 09-12-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:

Fact is, people have an opinion's and opinion's don't make it fact.

The word fact can refer to verified information about past or present circumstances or events which are presented as objective reality. In science, it means a provable concept.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fact
post #190 of 419 Old 09-12-2010, 10:56 AM

Good job!
post #191 of 419 Old 09-12-2010, 11:12 AM

This is what Bose not doing and some Fact for you! There are more Audio company's but here are some. Where is Bose research?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Hjl2FigcPs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SL1_...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VelBTG_RS1c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RAKu...eature=related

Bose is telling everyone recording studio's use there speakers and they are great but this video and many more say different!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWe1dXIy3CY
post #192 of 419 Old 09-12-2010, 11:31 AM

Whether you think BOSE makes good speakers or not, or like the sound of them, the fact of the matter is that they do plenty of research.

http://www.bose.com/controller?event...ning/index.jsp

Granted, it's easy to slap up a few web pages and say you do research, but all the same no company this size is going to just not engage in research. More probable is the fact that they don't feel like trumpeting their research activities is the most effective form of marketing given their success in the market. Certainly they know marketing, and so one cannot second guess them too casually on their marketing messages.

Jamespblues, what does what other companies are doing have to do with what BOSE is or is not doing? I fail to see any "fact" in your last post that bears on the now rather prickly discussion.

On a related matter, I just noticed that I cannot get inside my BOSE 141s, or even pull off the speaker grill. It's probably to hide what's inside
post #193 of 419 Old 09-12-2010, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
or what's not inside... ")

HT: Yamaha RX-V565 | 3 X Energy Take FPS, 2 X VS Surround, 2 X Take LCR | DIY Subs: SDX12 APR15 & TRIO12 Dual APR 12's | 47" LCD

Music: Yamaha RX-V863 | 2 X Energy RC-70 | MA RXw12 Sub

Bathroom: 2 X Energy Take LCR

Car: Sony Xplod HU, Xplod 6X9s, Kenwood 4"s, Alpine 12" Type-S, Rockford Amp,...

post #194 of 419 Old 09-12-2010, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamespblues View Post

Every Fact is any opinion on here and you need too write a book too everyone too prove it. If people don't like the truth (Fact) They say it is your opinion like Not seal paper drives don't last long but it is a Fact (truth) that it does not! Now I have too find 20 websites and paper documents too prove it but then at the end of wasting my time it will be my opinion anyway. There are more Home Audio company's now that don't use paper or not sealed paper drives and Horns then company's that do why because they know it is not that great. I am now waiting too get bashed for my fact (truth)

P.S who in 2010 going on 2011 uses a full range mid-woofer for a Tweeter other then Bose

Plenty of audio companies use some sort of a paper driver.

Quote:

But does it matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DHD View Post

Most of us think our systems sound great, especially if we've had them a long time, until we sit down and listen to something better. And when you hear a better system, you know it right off.
Now if one never ventures to seek out higher quality systems, then you end up with a sense of false satisfaction.
In my case, I've heard better and heard much worse, more worse than better.
I have been into Magnolia and never heard anything even close to what I've got. But I have auditioned Revel Salon2 and they were better.

And I guess you upgraded, just because something soundel just a little better. Most speakers dont sound that much different from one another, even if they cost a LOT more.

Quote:

That is the point with Bose 99% of the time you don't get what you paid for! Dude my wife hates Bose! She will not go in there store it gives her that bad of a headache! Good speakers should not give anyone a Headache! You don't have too be rich too buy a better speaker then Bose.

I have never expereienced a Headach from a Bose speaker, some of them I didnt like the sound of, but not enough to give me a headache.

Quote:

I am not a horn guy and my wife does hate the sound of horns too. They are incredibly bright but they are still not as bad as Bose. Bose speakers are really bad at high volume. The sound that Bose puts out at higher volume starts too get really bright and the music gets really mixed together then you start losing instruments and the muddy Bose bass over powers everything in the song. Then the Headache starts in a few second! That is why there demo music is blues and jazz there is not much going on in the song but a guy or girls voice and a guitar or a guy or girls voice with a brass instrument playing. There demo have most music that people don't listen too. Add more then 3 instruments at the same time playing and Bose speakers will turn it in too some noise in a small box or 4 instruments will become 2! Forget Bose for separating voices too if there are two people singing at the same time you will not no it is two people singing!

?????? Your not supposed to listen to blues, or jazz that loud anyway.
I hope your not portraying an entire genre of music as a person singing over a trumpet are you? If you are it just shows how narrow minded you are.

I have only heard Said Harshness and muddy bass from the lifestyle and acoustimass systems, which make me want to throw up everytime someone raves about them, when its nothing more than a $4,000.00 HTIB.

Quote:

Twenty some odd years later my 601's still sound great, yes with paper tweeters and drivers. Maybe you don't need all the fancy exotic materials to sound great.

Well, enjoy them then, that is a good speaker.

One shall stand... One Shall Fall... - Optimus Prime
post #195 of 419 Old 09-12-2010, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:

I know I hit the Klipsch people too which they get mad if you bring up about Horns and they don't sound good but whatever.

I don't own any Klipsch either. Still waiting on data to support your assertions.
post #196 of 419 Old 09-12-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironlight View Post

Whether you think BOSE makes good speakers or not, or like the sound of them, the fact of the matter is that they do plenty of research.

Granted, it's easy to slap up a few web pages and say you do research, but all the same no company this size is going to just not engage in research. More probable is the fact that they don't feel like trumpeting their research activities is the most effective form of marketing given their success in the market. Certainly they know marketing, and so one cannot second guess them too casually on their marketing messages.

Jamespblues, what does what other companies are doing have to do with what BOSE is or is not doing? I fail to see any "fact" in your last post that bears on the now rather prickly discussion.

On a related matter, I just noticed that I cannot get inside my BOSE 141s, or even pull off the speaker grill. It's probably to hide what's inside

Is Bose saying facts too there buyers out there!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUZf_PV8UEE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUUdo1o0owY Bose did not research this my Toshiba tv has the same thing in it before Bose came out with this joke! They steal everyone's design and change the name
post #197 of 419 Old 09-12-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308 View Post

I don't own any Klipsch either. Still waiting on data to support your assertions.

Find it yourself.
post #198 of 419 Old 09-12-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Leggs View Post

Plenty of audio companies use some sort of a paper driver.

But does it matter?

And I guess you upgraded, just because something soundel just a little better. Most speakers dont sound that much different from one another, even if they cost a LOT more.

I have never expereienced a Headach from a Bose speaker, some of them I didnt like the sound of, but not enough to give me a headache.

?????? Your not supposed to listen to blues, or jazz that loud anyway.
I hope your not portraying an entire genre of music as a person singing over a trumpet are you? If you are it just shows how narrow minded you are.

I have only heard Said Harshness and muddy bass from the lifestyle and acoustimass systems, which make me want to throw up everytime someone raves about them, when its nothing more than a $4,000.00 HTIB.

Well, enjoy them then, that is a good speaker.

You don't know anything and too say there is not much different from one speaker too the next shows it big time.
post #199 of 419 Old 09-12-2010, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As in buy the Salon2, no, did not have the cash, and they sound much better. But I have upgraded speakers that date back to '77. Building mirror imaged boxes, which improves the soundstage. And I built new, greatly improved crossovers, the same tech that JBL currently uses in their top 3 systems, running from $15k/ea ~ $30k/ea.
post #200 of 419 Old 09-12-2010, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:

Find it yourself.

I know you're incorrect already. I just wanted to see if you could come up with anything, but I see you can't actually. Not unexpected.
post #201 of 419 Old 09-12-2010, 11:57 AM

What is the matter with you? Do you know where talking out your rear end will get you? Not very credible is one place. Sounding stupid is another. Backup your claims or don't make them.
post #202 of 419 Old 09-12-2010, 11:59 AM

Quote:

What is the matter with you? Do you know where talking out your rear end will get you? Not very credible is one place. Sounding stupid is another. Backup your claims or don't make them.

This was for JPB.
post #203 of 419 Old 09-12-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironlight View Post

Lets go over this for bose research.

#1 Waveguide is transmission line same thing but Bose changed the name!

http://www.bose.com/controller?event...e_overview.jsp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acousti...smission_lines

#2 Direct/Reflecting which I could not find who started this technology because Dr Bose changes names so the original Designer may have called it some thing different but a lot of company's did the same thing and better then Bose like DCM in 1973! If Dr Bose came up with this technology he was not very smart because in all these years audio company's made there's hands down better then Bose! He has the same 901's since 1968 so my guess he did not come up with it because there as been no improvement in them.

http://www.bose.com/controller?event...g_overview.jsp

http://www.dcmspeakers.com/index.htm

#3 Bose Suspension a over priced junk too sell too car company's! I have been a Automotive tech for over 10years and seen this made years ago and better with no computer Bose junk in it! This is too sell the Bose name again not make something new! lol Monroe Reflex shock same thing and less money then Bose like always! lol

http://www.bose.com/controller?event..._challenge.jsp

http://www.monroe.com/products/refle...=&rolloverObj=[object+Object]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ikmVpvBgic
post #204 of 419 Old 09-12-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:

Lets go over this for bose research.

#1 Waveguide is transmission line same thing but Bose changed the name!

http://www.bose.com/controller?event...e_overview.jsp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acousti...smission_lines

#2 Direct/Reflecting which I could not find who started this technology because Dr Bose changes names so the original Designer may have called it some thing different but a lot of company's did the same thing and better then Bose like DCM in 1973! If Dr Bose came up with this technology he was not very smart because in all these years audio company's made there's hands down better then Bose! He has the same 901's since 1968 so my guess he did not come up with it because there as been no improvement in them.

http://www.bose.com/controller?event...g_overview.jsp

http://www.dcmspeakers.com/index.htm

#3 Bose Suspension a over priced junk too sell too car company's! I have been a Automotive tech for over 10years and seen this made years ago and better with no computer Bose junk in it! This is too sell the Bose name again not make something new! lol Monroe Reflex shock same thing and less money then Bose like always! lol

http://www.bose.com/controller?event..._challenge.jsp

http://www.monroe.com/products/refle...=&rolloverObj=[object+Object]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ikmVpvBgic

Where exactly are you going with all of that?
post #205 of 419 Old 09-12-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308 View Post

I know you're incorrect already. I just wanted to see if you could come up with anything, but I see you can't actually. Not unexpected.

"Some audiophiles use horn loudspeakers for audio reproduction, while others eschew horn systems for their harmonic resonances, finding in them an unpleasant form of distortion. Since there are a variety of horn designs (of differing length, material, and taper, as well as different drivers) it is, to some extent, impossible to give such blanket characterizations to horn loudspeakers."

Distortion?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horn_speaker
post #206 of 419 Old 09-12-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:

Where exactly are you going with all of that?

The stuff about Bose is Fact and not just out of my ass! Bose is not that great as people think! I will leave it at that I think you get it now. We will be doing this forever so lets just let it be.
post #207 of 419 Old 09-12-2010, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

"Some audiophiles use horn loudspeakers for audio reproduction, while others eschew horn systems for their harmonic resonances, finding in them an unpleasant form of distortion. Since there are a variety of horn designs (of differing length, material, and taper, as well as different drivers) it is, to some extent, impossible to give such blanket characterizations to horn loudspeakers."

Distortion?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horn_speaker

Yes some horns are very harsh, I've heard plenty that drove me out of the room. Then again I've heard some that were/are as smooth as silk.
post #208 of 419 Old 09-12-2010, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The stuff about Bose is Fact and not just out of my ass! Bose is not that great as people think! I will leave it at that I think you get it now. We will be doing this forever so lets just let it be.

There are the uninformed and then there are the rest of us. Guess which thinks Blose are good.
post #209 of 419 Old 09-12-2010, 12:55 PM

I do not now or have I ever owned Klipsch speakers. I have nevered owned any speakers of any brand with horns. My present system is Infinity Betas but, in the interest of full disclosure, I have seen a review which referred to the Beta's recessed tweeter as being structured somewhat like a modified horn. I have never thought of them as being horns, but I would not be upset if I learned that is what they are.

What really piqued my interest was your remarks concerning optical cables and their "brightness". I ask that you please expand on this as I as a user of hdmi, optical and coaxial cables in my systems am fascinated on what differences I may be unaware of.

I don't really know anything. I am just repeating what I have either heard or read elsewhere.
post #210 of 419 Old 09-12-2010, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 590
Quote:

The 601's are a real sweet sounding speaker. The sound stage they give off is nice and deep and wide as well as pin point when called upon. I have a treated room and when doing that I had to be careful with the walls behind the speakers because as you see they use it. I have a 6.1 set up using 6 of these and it sounds amazing, to me. I have two velodynes up front and a sub in the rear I pieced together out of an old Def Tech encloser with a 15" Dayton driver and a Dayton Hps 500 amp. Like I have said I have listened to some very nice systems in the past and wished I had an endless supply of money to throw away, but as it stands I don't. The last speaker I listened to that I really went out of my way to hear were the Wilson Watt/puppy 8's, they are amazing as well. At 28000.00 a pair the setup I listened to came to around a hundred grand, WOW, that was for just two channels. If I ever win the lottery that's the only setup I've come across that I thought I would like to have outside what I've got now.

Thanks for replying. Sounds like an interesting setup. I'll probably never have the chance to hear anything like that, but I am thinking with the right tunes, a soundstage like that might sound pretty amazing. Again, thanks for sharing!
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page