Atlantic Technology AT-1 H-Pas - does it defy the laws of physics? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 09-17-2010, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Anyone see the review of this new speaker in the October issue of Sound and Vision Magazine? Is Atlantic on to something or is Dan Kumin on something?

His bottom line is:

Quote:

The Atlantic Technology AT -1 H-PAS speakers' overall performance/value quotient is difficult to overstate. In direct comparison with my everyday small monitors, which cost slightly more, the AT -1 matched their tonal balance, imaging, and transient ease very closely while adding at least an octave of true low bass. I know of nothing anywhere near its price range (or size) that goes as powerfully and honestly low without subwoofer support. The critical listener with a demand for true deep bass but no space or desire for a subwoofer will be challenged to do better.

Of course, you'd still need a sub for home theater since it seems to disappear below 31.5 but for a two channel, high quality, full range rig that takes up little space (not much more than a bookshelf on a stand), this seems like an ideal speaker.

Tony

In search of the Holy Grail.

Hometown team
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 09-17-2010, 12:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Tony, are you going to get a chance to listen to them or maybe purchase a pair?

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #3 of 17 Old 09-17-2010, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I am hoping to hear them at some point. I don't even know if they are in stores, because AT seems to work mainly through installers. I don't live very far from AT's headquarters, so maybe I'll give them a call and see if they'll let me into their sound room for a listen. You know I'm always ready and wiling to listen to something new.

The review describes the new bass loading technique, which looks like a modified transmission line. What's particularly exciting is that they seem to be able to get bass down to 30 with power out of a relatively small box with no loss in efficiency.

Tony

Hometown team
post #4 of 17 Old 09-17-2010, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Defy physics? No. It works because of a clever application of physics.
post #5 of 17 Old 09-17-2010, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Alcasid View Post

Defy physics? No. It works because of a clever application of physics.

Of course you're right. I was hoping "defy" would pique some interest, as I was curious as to what others thought.

Tony

Hometown team
post #6 of 17 Old 09-17-2010, 02:23 PM

Liked: 11
http://ubb.outlawaudio.com/ubbthread...b47a720ed786c7

Outlaw Audio will release its own H-PAS technology speaker some time after the Atlantic Technology product is selling

Maybe this world is another planet's hell.
Aldous Huxley
post #7 of 17 Old 09-17-2010, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvictorg View Post

http://ubb.outlawaudio.com/ubbthread...b47a720ed786c7

Outlaw Audio will release its own H-PAS technology speaker some time after the Atlantic Technology product is selling

Since Snell is out of business, I wonder who will be making them.

Tony

Hometown team
post #8 of 17 Old 09-17-2010, 07:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 382
I got an email from Outlaw yesterday on the AT-1 speakers. It appears Outlaw is selling them now as their site has them as available.

http://www.outlawaudio.com/outlet/at1.html

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #9 of 17 Old 09-17-2010, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the link. I don't think I got that email.

Tony

Hometown team
post #10 of 17 Old 09-18-2010, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Looks like the S&V review is up online:

http://pdf.outlawaudio.com/outlaw/do...iewOct2010.pdf

Tony

Hometown team
post #11 of 17 Old 09-30-2010, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Happened to walk into my dealers store and they were breaking in a pair of AT-1's. Fit and finish was excellent (high gloss piano black) looked like $5000 speakers rather than $2499. They were just out of the box so they needed some break in but the bottom end was very impressive very tight and accurate. Looks like it'll be a winner. These would be great speakers that you could use for an HT if you were were also going to also use it for a solid 2 channel setup. No need for a sub on 2-channel w/these speakers. The equipment they were using was a Mac 252 amp and Mac c-22 pre amp. CD was a Cary. Couldn't hear them again they were gone a few days later.
post #12 of 17 Old 09-30-2010, 06:15 PM

Bookshelfs on the way as well

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/s...chnology-h-pas

The prototype of the new Atlantic Technology AT-2 is less than 16 inches tall and has an interior acoustic volume of less than 2/3-cubic foot, yet it delivers full, rich bass response down to 39Hz at -3dB

The prototype version of Atlantic Technology's upcoming AT-2 bookshelf loudspeaker uses a single 5-1/4" long-excursion woofer and the same 1-1/8" Low Resonance Tweeter (LRT) used in the AT-1. It has a crossover frequency of 2,100 Hz, which is much lower than most conventional two-way speakers, affording much wider horizontal midrange dispersion. The cabinet dimensions are just 8-3/4" wide by 15-5/8" high 12-1/4" deep

Aldous Huxley
post #13 of 17 Old 09-30-2010, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeno View Post

Anyone see the review of this new speaker in the October issue of Sound and Vision Magazine? Is Atlantic on to something or is Dan Kumin on something?

His bottom line is:

Of course, you'd still need a sub for home theater since it seems to disappear below 31.5 but for a two channel, high quality, full range rig that takes up little space (not much more than a bookshelf on a stand), this seems like an ideal speaker.

http://emusician.com/tutorials/tech-...w-can-go-0210/

According to Clements, H-PAS allows those little 4.5-inch drivers to reach all the way down to 31 Hz (-3 dB at 28 Hz)

Aldous Huxley
post #14 of 17 Old 10-01-2010, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
How is cabinet resonance at high volumes with say, a deep classical thunder drum? I've found a lot of smaller speakers that try to play this 30Hz-50Hz tone give off a vibration with plastics and false wood panels. So, just because smaller speakers can create lower bass, I would qualify that with telling everyone just what SPL it hits that bass at. Chances are, it isn't getting much louder than 95db and then after that it will vibrate the heck out of that cabinet.
post #15 of 17 Old 10-02-2010, 08:59 AM

Liked: 10
Met Phil 30+ years ago when he started the Phase Research speaker company. He is a great guy. Owned a pair of his Phase Research speakers which he had hand picked for me when I visited his offices. In those days (before age, 20+ ear infections and too much jet noise in the military finally caught up with my hearing) I listed to his speakers and thought his sounded exceptional for the price. Had heard a lot of known high-end more expensive speakers but settled on his. Enjoyed them for years until a basement flood ended their life.

Exchanged e-mails with Phil after I saw the H-PAS announcement. I had recognized his design and thought someone was had stolen his idea until I saw the credit given to him. He gave me the story of their development and said with modern computer technology his idea has been greatly improved. I hoping a dealer in my area gets some in so I can listen to them, even with my less that optimal hearing. He did not tell me what companies had licensed the technology but mentioned that it was 5-6 companies at last count. So, I'd expect we'll be seeing an growing number of speakers based on H-Pas technology.
post #16 of 17 Old 10-05-2010, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Are you gents speaking of the small floorstanding unit that retails for approx. $2K? If so, I heard a prototype [almost ready for prime time] at CES in January in the Parasound booth and they were amazing!

Mike Miles

ICR [ Sales Consulting and Small Part-Time AV shop, very small...  ]

Process Integration, Inc. [ contract sales consultant ]

Eastern Shore of Maryland

post #17 of 17 Old 10-13-2010, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiles View Post

Are you gents speaking of the small floorstanding unit that retails for approx. $2K? If so, I heard a prototype [almost ready for prime time] at CES in January in the Parasound booth and they were amazing!

So did I. And I posted about that experience (link below). It drew some amount of skepticism at the time - as is to be expected. I think that reviews like S&V's, and eventual posts by owners, do and will confirm what I and others heard at CES early this year.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1179845&page=2
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page