How to power and distribute Ten speaker pairs? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 09-20-2010, 11:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Speakers are 8 ohms. A pair in each room. Ten rooms total with volume controls in each(i have not checked if they are impedance matching yet). There is no need for a main zone or 5.1 as this system will be seperate from the home theaters in the house. Do I still have to get a receiver with zone 2 capability? I only want to play one source at a time and one source is okay in every zone at one time. How do I distribute audio to all rooms? I don't know if I need two receivers and then a speaker selector or one receiver with zone 2 an amp and then speaker selector or what??? Finding an amp with 20 channels has been difficult too. I have looked all over this forum, can someone explain what I need?

Also, The audio wires are going into a circuit board thing, I am not familiar with. It says "left", "right", "amp", "tap" and has two big (2 inches square) silver boxes built into it that say ohm ratings i think for example 1.4 ohms, 16 ohms, 4 ohms, 8 ohms and so on. Ten 16-4 lines are connected to the "left" and "rights" and one 16-4 is connected to the part that says "amp". then the big silver things say "tap" near them are connected to the board itself.

I hope my question is not unclear, I will try to summarize....
What receiver and amp combo will power ten rooms of audio and should I be taking the circuit board thing into consideration or is that just a connecting block type thing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-20-2010, 11:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Since each room is just stereo, get one of these.

http://www.inwallstore.com/Audioplex...tor_p/ms10.htm

Hook up each zone to the appropriate selector switch and turn on one zone or all 10 zones at the same time.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-21-2010, 01:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I'd recommend using two Niles si-1230 distribution amps and bi-amping two pairs (as you could do up to 12 at this point) that need more power (like large rooms or outdoor areas)

if thats out of the budget, i'd do a single si-1230 and just use two pair per channel (its 4ohm stable)

if that is out of the budget, i'd look into a good stereo amplifier and hook it up to that speaker selector that was linked (i'm not familiar with their products)
post #4 of 7 Old 09-21-2010, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

I think that the circuit board i was referring to is a speaker bus or in other words a speaker selector???

So if that is true, I would not need the product that was linked would I?

I just got off the phone with crutchfield, they wanted to know the efficiency of the speakers before they recommended a specific solution. They were thinking about using one dual zone receiver to power everything?? NAD amp I think they said.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-21-2010, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

This would be for background music and they would only need one or two zones on at a time anyway. Can a receiver with zone 2 out going into the speaker bus circuit board and the out to the speakers be all I need?
post #6 of 7 Old 09-21-2010, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 44
this is where you will get various opinions.

yes, you can power all 10 pairs from the 2nd zone out of a receiver but it would depend on use. at higher volumes or differing music, you may have amp troubles. keep in mind that the receiver will expire more quickly when it is run harder all the time.

do you need to power all pairs independantly from a 24 channel amp? no but it is a nice option.

i would suggest getting a stereo amp to drive the second zone (and all 10 pairs) to an impedence device like first suggested. several companies make autoformers for this purpose from Audioplex, Russound, Niles, OSD, etc.
this will give you more ability to run the house speakers without worry, and also the secindary amp can run a lower impedence without shutting off.
post #7 of 7 Old 09-22-2010, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

does having only one zone on at a time make any difference regarding powere for hooking up to zone 2 out for all ten rooms? Or is it going to be just as weak as all rooms playing at once? So an impedance matching speaker selector and an amp that can handle how many watts out of zone 2?
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page