Forum Jump: 
 24Likes

post #3151 of 6024 Old 10-16-2012, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 31
you guys looking for a wall mount for these speakers, there was a post in this thread not too far back that linked a mount that clamps to the front and back where the AJ speakers are flat and not rounded, as opposed to the sides where they are rounded. just read back through this thread backwards and it should be in the first couple of pages.
[Irishman] likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3152 of 6024 Old 10-16-2012, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by rewhowes View Post

Thanks I'll order those off of there.
What about Banana plugs are those worth getting? at all? My receiver is the Pioneer Elite VSX-52
Is NewEgg the only place that keeps putting those speakers on sale or should I be watching other sites as well?

They are a nice convenience item. It simplifies hookup in the hard-to-reach area behind the AVR. These are awesome for that purpose too:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=105&cp_id=10520&cs_id=1052001&p_id=5792&seq=1&format=2

For connecting to the speaker they don't do much but make things look clean. Also, the banana plugs should be covered in heatshrink to prevent an accidental short. You can get 10' sections of 1/2" red & black heat shrink off Amazon cheap.
post #3153 of 6024 Old 10-16-2012, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Do I need anything else for my system?
Receiver
-speaker wire
-10 pairs of banana plugs
-heat shrink
-sub cable
-hdmi cable from apple tv to receiver
-hdmi cable from receiver to tv
post #3154 of 6024 Old 10-16-2012, 07:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 381
Quote:
hdmi cable from apple tv to receiver
-hdmi cable from receiver to tv

Is the apple TV your only device? No sat/cable box or DVD/Blu Ray player?

Afro GT
post #3155 of 6024 Old 10-16-2012, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 232

UPS? At least a surge protector.

Downloadable FREE demo discs:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475769/de...ently-authored 

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
post #3156 of 6024 Old 10-16-2012, 08:01 PM

What is UPS? I got the belkin surge protector from costco.
Yes Apple tv is the only device for now, I am a movies and music guy, all through internet really. Thinking of getting the WD Live as well. I don't need an optical audio cable do I?
post #3157 of 6024 Old 10-16-2012, 08:09 PM
Advanced Member

dont forget the strobe light and the disco ball!
post #3158 of 6024 Old 10-17-2012, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

UPS = uninterruptible power supply

A good surge protector should be fine, depending on how reliable your service is.

And HDMI should carry both audio and video.

Do they still make disco balls?

I guess so: from DealNews today:

Best Buy offers the Star Master Star Projector Light, model no. 72-LT454, for $4.98 with free shipping. That's tied with our mention from two weeks ago and the lowest total price we could find by $2. Sales tax is added where applicable. It features two buttons; one button turns on white stars, while the second button turns on red, blue, and green stars. It requires three AA batteries (not included).

post #3159 of 6024 Old 10-17-2012, 08:57 AM

Liked: 11
The FS51s finally deactivated on Newegg.
post #3160 of 6024 Old 10-17-2012, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by olwe View Post

The FS51s finally deactivated on Newegg.

While there is no doubt that eventually all the series one stuff will be sold out, Newegg has periodically de-listed some of the speakers in the line and then re-added them.

If I was looking for a some 51's, I would still keep an eye out...they may re-appear.

Seems like the 41's had disappeared for a while and then came back.

Brian
post #3161 of 6024 Old 10-18-2012, 06:56 AM

Liked: 11
Did you all see the Center Channel is 49$ on newegg for 72 hours. So tempting but I think I'm set on Series II.
post #3162 of 6024 Old 10-18-2012, 07:01 AM
Advanced Member

the series one center channel has bigger speakers and handles more power, i love my series 1 center
post #3163 of 6024 Old 10-18-2012, 07:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruben Z View Post

Did you all see the Center Channel is 49$ on newegg for 72 hours. So tempting but I think I'm set on Series II.

The series 2 is not a wimp - it will be a good one.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #3164 of 6024 Old 10-18-2012, 09:44 AM

What would be the absolute best set-up to use for a 7.1 set-up: series 1 or series 2? I was planning on buying series 1 everything before I became aware of the series 2. Are the 41's are better than the 22's for surrounds? I'm gonna go with the big speakers for the front, either the 51's or 52's. How should I make this decision?

Also, regarding mounts: is there any mount for the 41's or 22's that can be drilled in to the ceiling and/or a slanted ceiling? My media room is pre-wired with my side channels on a diagonal angle and the rear speakers on the ceiling. Here's what I mean:

NeIw9l.jpg
You can see the outlet for the side surrounds here. I'm very particular about cables not showing so whatever I get has to be mounted at that angle.

F3F4gl.jpg
Here is the outlet for the rear surrounds. Now that I look at it I could probably just mount on the wall there and the speaker cable would still be hidden. So I suppose a true ceiling mount isn't required.

And if there's nothing that meets my needs for these speakers, what are the "next best" speakers that can be mounted using standard wall/ceiling mounts?

Thanks!
post #3165 of 6024 Old 10-18-2012, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzlenits View Post

What would be the absolute best set-up to use for a 7.1 set-up: series 1 or series 2? I was planning on buying series 1 everything before I became aware of the series 2. Are the 41's are better than the 22's for surrounds? I'm gonna go with the big speakers for the front, either the 51's or 52's. How should I make this decision?
Also, regarding mounts: is there any mount for the 41's or 22's that can be drilled in to the ceiling and/or a slanted ceiling? My media room is pre-wired with my side channels on a diagonal angle and the rear speakers on the ceiling. Here's what I mean:
NeIw9l.jpg
You can see the outlet for the side surrounds here. I'm very particular about cables not showing so whatever I get has to be mounted at that angle.
F3F4gl.jpg
Here is the outlet for the rear surrounds. Now that I look at it I could probably just mount on the wall there and the speaker cable would still be hidden. So I suppose a true ceiling mount isn't required.
And if there's nothing that meets my needs for these speakers, what are the "next best" speakers that can be mounted using standard wall/ceiling mounts?
Thanks!

I used series2 for my front's and didn't use pioneers at all for surrounds since I decided on bipolar surrounds. In my space the bipolar’s are hugely superior as I can't get much distance between the side wall and the listening position in an 11' wide room. So, obviously, I'm not too concerned with having matching surrounds.

That said, you could use 41's for surrounds and 52's & c22 for fronts. The mismatch wouldn't be that big of a deal. However, if you think the 22's are too small then buy 2 extra centers and use those vertically for surrounds. The c22's are really nice MTM's. The real question should be "are the 41's better than vertical c22's" to which I would reply "no."

I'm using these:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082804&p_id=6839&seq=1&format=2
to ceiling mount my 22lr's that I'm using for high's. They are adequate...barely. I wouldn't use them for the c22's mounted vertically or 41's. In that case I would just build a shelf of some kind or fly them w/ eye screws and wire.
post #3166 of 6024 Old 10-18-2012, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

Are those 1 gang electrical boxes? If so I used some mounts for my surrounds that mount to 1 gang boxes. I will post pics later, but they do have weight limits and the pioneers are over the limit for the mounts I used. My surrounds are mirage nanosats.
post #3167 of 6024 Old 10-18-2012, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:

Thanks!

Personally, I would go with all first generation or all second generation.

The holy grail is to have all the exact same speakers at every position, plus a sub. Not many can do that.

Next would be all speakers from the same family.

As previously suggested, mixing and matching between the two generations will likely be just fine, but if you have the option, stick within the same family for the most seamless blend (assuming you can not put the exact same speakers in each position).

Brian
post #3168 of 6024 Old 10-18-2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrotel View Post

Are those 1 gang electrical boxes? If so I used some mounts for my surrounds that mount to 1 gang boxes. I will post pics later, but they do have weight limits and the pioneers are over the limit for the mounts I used. My surrounds are mirage nanosats.

I believe so, yes. I'm not super handy so I can't say for sure, but they're the same kind of boxes used throughout the house in other outlets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nograveconcern View Post

I used series2 for my front's and didn't use pioneers at all for surrounds since I decided on bipolar surrounds. In my space the bipolar’s are hugely superior as I can't get much distance between the side wall and the listening position in an 11' wide room. So, obviously, I'm not too concerned with having matching surrounds.
That said, you could use 41's for surrounds and 52's & c22 for fronts. The mismatch wouldn't be that big of a deal. However, if you think the 22's are too small then buy 2 extra centers and use those vertically for surrounds. The c22's are really nice MTM's. The real question should be "are the 41's better than vertical c22's" to which I would reply "no."
I'm using these:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082804&p_id=6839&seq=1&format=2
to ceiling mount my 22lr's that I'm using for high's. They are adequate...barely. I wouldn't use them for the c22's mounted vertically or 41's. In that case I would just build a shelf of some kind or fly them w/ eye screws and wire.

Thanks for the tips. I think having C22's all around the media room would be a bit much! Plus I have no idea how I'd get them mounted. I'm intrigued at the thought of having series 2 fronts/sub and then 41's for the surrounds though. What exactly do you mean when you say it "wouldn't be that big of a deal?" I'm basically a novice when it comes to home theater. I just thought the 41's seemed more attractive since they can go up to 130w rather than 80w with the BS22's. My AVR output is 105w.

As for that mount, do you have that just screwed in to the top of the speakers? Is that ok? If so that makes the mounting process a lot easier, I was just worried about possibly drilling something that isn't meant to be punctured.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGLeduc View Post

Personally, I would go with all first generation or all second generation.
The holy grail is to have all the exact same speakers at every position, plus a sub. Not many can do that.
Next would be all speakers from the same family.
As previously suggested, mixing and matching between the two generations will likely be just fine, but if you have the option, stick within the same family for the most seamless blend (assuming you can not put the exact same speakers in each position).
Brian

Ah. So you're saying that I'd be better off just buying 7x BS41's and then a subwoofer? That seems crazy! If I wasn't going to do that, my next question would be how much better is the series 2 over the series 1? If I went with all series 1 I could have BS41's for my surrounds... which is tempting. So basically I guess I'm looking at 3 possible set-ups:

1.) 2x FS51, C21, 4x BS41 + sub (all series 1)

2.) 2x FS52, C22, 4x BS41 + sub (mix-matched)

3.) 2x FS52, C22, 4x BS22 + sub (all series 2)

Which one of those would provide the best experience?

Thanks again to all of you. Without this forum I'd be truly lost throughout this process.

_
post #3169 of 6024 Old 10-18-2012, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks again to all of you. Without this forum I'd be truly lost throughout this process.
_

This is nothing. Wait until you have to pick a sub!

post #3170 of 6024 Old 10-18-2012, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

So basically I guess I'm looking at 3 possible set-ups:
_

I don't believe the BS41's are part of the 1st Series, please correct me if I'm mistaken.

Just my 2¢ - take it or leave it for others

Halo ® 3 Beta Tester, Reach ® Beta Tester, COD ® 4 Beta Tester
XboxLive GT - hyghwayman
post #3171 of 6024 Old 10-18-2012, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyghwayman View Post

I don't believe the BS41's are part of the 1st Series, please correct me if I'm mistaken.

The BS41 is indeed part of the first series...

And if memory serves, made it's debut at CEDIA prior to the other models in the lineup showing up at Best Buy.

EDIT: They debuted at CEDIA in 2010, not last year.
post #3172 of 6024 Old 10-18-2012, 03:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyghwayman View Post

The ending number (1) is phase one. The ending number (2) is phase two.
The new speakers are redesigned woofers, tweeters and waveguide, and
different crossover work.

post #3173 of 6024 Old 10-18-2012, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

Ah. So you're saying that I'd be better off just buying 7x BS41's and then a subwoofer? That seems crazy! If I wasn't going to do that, my next question would be how much better is the series 2 over the series 1? If I went with all series 1 I could have BS41's for my surrounds... which is tempting. So basically I guess I'm looking at 3 possible set-ups:
_

Personally, I'd go with option 3 despite them being more expensive.

I've heard the BS41/C21 and the BS22/C22 (although not side by side), and felt like the 2nd series is a noticeable improvement... which says alot because the 1st really is good for the money... but they didn't impress me the way the 2nd series did.
post #3174 of 6024 Old 10-18-2012, 03:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaiii View Post

Personally, I'd go with option 3 despite them being more expensive.
I've heard the BS41/C21 and the BS22/C22 (although not side by side), and felt like the 2nd series is a noticeable improvement... which says alot because the 1st really is good for the money.
x2
And is worth it.
They really open up - and the soundstage is nice.

post #3175 of 6024 Old 10-18-2012, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 592
I was thinking of going all out and buying the 51's x 6 since I don't want any shelf speakers due to my kids messing around with my stands, but they are out from newegg. I went to Bestbuy and they have the 52's, but they want $129.99 per speaker, which isn't bad. Now, I am starting to look at the Polk Audios towers, but I can't decide.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #3176 of 6024 Old 10-18-2012, 03:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

I was thinking of going all out and buying the 51's x 6 since I don't want any shelf speakers due to my kids messing around with my stands, but they are out from newegg. I went to Bestbuy and they have the 52's, but they want $129.99 per speaker, which isn't bad. Now, I am starting to look at the Polk Audios towers, but I can't decide.

TigerDirect has the FS52 towers for $200 a pair - I would seriously consider it.
They are sold by the each, if you want to do 5.1

Some Best Buys will price match TigerDirect.

post #3177 of 6024 Old 10-18-2012, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

TigerDirect has the FS52 towers for $200 a pair - I would seriously consider it.
They are sold by the each, if you want to do 5.1
Some Best Buys will price match TigerDirect.

Thanks. I will try to go to Best Buy and see if they price match. I stop buying thing from Tiger Direct several years ago. They've got good prices, but their customer service was horrible when I was trying to return a couple of NAS's that weren't working correctly.

I went to Tiger Direct and the prices for the 52's are $99.99.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #3178 of 6024 Old 10-18-2012, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

x2
And is worth it.
They really open up - and the soundstage is nice.

Alright, so it'd be worth it then to have the 4 smaller speakers (BS22) over 4 larger (BS41)? If so then that works out great for me due to the easier availability. I just wanted to double check because of the large wattage difference.
post #3179 of 6024 Old 10-18-2012, 05:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Alright, so it'd be worth it then to have the 4 smaller speakers (BS22) over 4 larger (BS41)? If so then that works out great for me due to the easier availability. I just wanted to double check because of the large wattage difference.

They will be fine, and will not easily faint.

post #3180 of 6024 Old 10-18-2012, 05:26 PM

Alright, I'm convinced. It didn't take much. :P

Ordered!

Now to find the best way to mount the BS22's from the ceiling...
Reply Speakers

Tags
Pioneer Andrew Jones Sp Fs52 Flr Stand Loudspeaker , Pioneer Andrew Jones Designed Bookshelf Loudspeakers Sp Bs22 Lr , Pioneer , Speakers Subwoofers , Speaker Systems , Pioneer Sp Bs41 Lr 130 Watt Rms 2 Way Speaker , Elite Vsx 31 A V Receiver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page