Pioneer's Speaker Genius Hits Low Price Point - Page 195 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 26Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #5821 of 6037 Old 08-11-2014, 05:35 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 199
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
The NXG is a fine sub. Much better than the Bic F12.
I'm getting the sense the f12 is too boomy, it doesn't really mesh into the rest of the speakers seamlessly, or maybe that is part of my problem not zeroing in on the levels during audyssey. .
justdiscovering is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #5822 of 6037 Old 08-11-2014, 06:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 12,191
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by justdiscovering View Post
I'm getting the sense the f12 is too boomy, it doesn't really mesh into the rest of the speakers seamlessly, or maybe that is part of my problem not zeroing in on the levels during audyssey. .
Might be a little of both. If youre a picky listener the F12 wont do.
Bond 007 is online now  
post #5823 of 6037 Old 08-11-2014, 06:10 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 199
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
Might be a little of both. If youre a picky listener the F12 wont do.
Obviously I'm not an audiophile or picky, but I even notice it. Kind of annoying
justdiscovering is offline  
post #5824 of 6037 Old 08-11-2014, 06:11 AM
Advanced Member
 
butie120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 701
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by justdiscovering View Post
I'm getting the sense the f12 is too boomy, it doesn't really mesh into the rest of the speakers seamlessly, or maybe that is part of my problem not zeroing in on the levels during audyssey. .
The F12 is a pure budget sub. For its price it does a good job. But again, for its price. My hunch is that you won't truly know what a good sub sounds like until you go up into a higher bracket. The F12 can be had for less than $200 on Amazon. Buying an Outlaw, SVS, HSU, or Rythmik will get you the impact and sound you're looking for. But plan on spending a minimum of $450 when one goes on sale, and more likely in the $500-$600 range.
butie120 is offline  
post #5825 of 6037 Old 08-11-2014, 06:19 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 199
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Nxg no good? I thought that was in the svs product line
justdiscovering is offline  
post #5826 of 6037 Old 08-11-2014, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Transmaniacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 3,435
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 416
The NXG BAS 500 is made by NXG. It is probably the best sub under $300 and is pretty good for music according to Jim Wilson's review at Home Theater Shack. I agree though stepping up to the $500 range gets you good bass, the SVS PB-1000, Rythmik LV12R, HSU VTF2-4, and Outlaw LFM1-Plus are great choices and a significant step up over the likes of the BIC and NXG.

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
Transmaniacon is offline  
post #5827 of 6037 Old 08-11-2014, 07:10 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 199
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 0
So new fronts or sub first?

And is the nxg good and games and movies?

Last edited by justdiscovering; 08-11-2014 at 07:14 AM.
justdiscovering is offline  
post #5828 of 6037 Old 08-11-2014, 07:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 12,191
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by justdiscovering View Post
So new fronts or sub first?

And is the nxg good and games and movies?
Yes. What are all your speakers?
Bond 007 is online now  
post #5829 of 6037 Old 08-11-2014, 07:36 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 199
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Pioneers fs52, was thinking of the hsu book shelfs mk2
justdiscovering is offline  
post #5830 of 6037 Old 08-11-2014, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member
 
butie120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 701
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by justdiscovering View Post
Pioneers fs52, was thinking of the hsu book shelfs mk2
Here's my thinking, and this is just me because A. I'm the son of a banker, and 2. Cash is King.

I'm not sure what you bought your towers for, but they routinely go on sale anywhere between $65-$87 each. So, around $150 you can have a pair of the two tower speakers. The HSU bookshelves, after shipping, will cost you $368. I don't know if you then need to buy stands or not, so take that into account as well. Even if you don't need stands you are paying around $200 more for the HSU speakers. Are they $200 better? I wouldn't know because I've never listened to them.

What I do know is that by and large what completes and provides the most theater like experience is the subwoofer. I think you reap greater rewards by keeping your FS52's and putting that money towards a good quality sub. Heck, maybe the FS52's will sound better to you after they're complimented with a good sub.

What you could do is order either the PB-1000 or PB-2000 from SVS for a free 45 day in home trial. If you don't like them (which I would find very hard to believe), you can send them back free of charge. They even cover shipping costs both ways.

The Rythmik and Outlaw subs also go on sale from time to time, so you just have to check every so often.
Warner2Bruce likes this.
butie120 is offline  
post #5831 of 6037 Old 08-11-2014, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Transmaniacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 3,435
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by justdiscovering View Post
So new fronts or sub first?

And is the nxg good and games and movies?
I would go with a new sub woofer first of all, I think it will make the biggest difference for you and probably make you enjoy your Pioneers more.

+1 on the SVS recommendation, at $499 shipped, the PB-1000 offers great performance.
Warner2Bruce likes this.

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
Transmaniacon is offline  
post #5832 of 6037 Old 08-11-2014, 08:01 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 199
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by butie120 View Post
Here's my thinking, and this is just me because A. I'm the son of a banker, and 2. Cash is King.

I'm not sure what you bought your towers for, but they routinely go on sale anywhere between $65-$87 each. So, around $150 you can have a pair of the two tower speakers. The HSU bookshelves, after shipping, will cost you $368. I don't know if you then need to buy stands or not, so take that into account as well. Even if you don't need stands you are paying around $200 more for the HSU speakers. Are they $200 better? I wouldn't know because I've never listened to them.

What I do know is that by and large what completes and provides the most theater like experience is the subwoofer. I think you reap greater rewards by keeping your FS52's and putting that money towards a good quality sub. Heck, maybe the FS52's will sound better to you after they're complimented with a good sub.

What you could do is order either the PB-1000 or PB-2000 from SVS for a free 45 day in home trial. If you don't like them (which I would find very hard to believe), you can send them back free of charge. They even cover shipping costs both ways.

The Rythmik and Outlaw subs also go on sale from time to time, so you just have to check every so often.
Do the sb or pb1000 ever go on sale? If so what site most of the time?

And should I sell the f12? Or keep it and have 2 subs? Note:the f12 did a decent job of filling the room.
justdiscovering is offline  
post #5833 of 6037 Old 08-11-2014, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Transmaniacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 3,435
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 416
They don't go on sale, but you can get B-stock versions for $450-475. Generally these have some small cosmetic issue that does not affect sound performance, they include a photo of the damage so you can decide if you want it or not. SVS is the only source for their subs, there are other authorized dealers but I believe in order to get the in-home trial you need to order from SVS.

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
Transmaniacon is offline  
post #5834 of 6037 Old 08-11-2014, 08:10 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 199
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Is the not ported svs any good? Idk what the difference would be vs ported. The non ported has a 12 incher and the ported is only 10.

It will take me a little to be able to afford a 500 dollar sub, I would have to save for it.

That's I keep asking about nxg.
justdiscovering is offline  
post #5835 of 6037 Old 08-11-2014, 08:12 AM
Senior Member
 
Nikwasi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Nantahala
Posts: 429
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by justdiscovering View Post
Do the sb or pb1000 ever go on sale? If so what site most of the time?

And should I sell the f12? Or keep it and have 2 subs? Note:the f12 did a decent job of filling the room.
You can save a few bucks by shopping the SVS Outlethttp://www.svsound.com/specials/outlet-specials. If you buy from the outlet you get the same warranty, return policy, free shipping etc. Listings change daily.

You might want to read The SVS Bill of Rights.
Nikwasi is offline  
post #5836 of 6037 Old 08-11-2014, 08:16 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 199
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'll have to see tonight if I can get my sub level down to zero, to really make a decision if i need a new sub, I'm still in the upgrade mood for the 3 fronts. And my wife is pushing me for the fronts and the sub last.(she is paying for half, for holidays)
justdiscovering is offline  
post #5837 of 6037 Old 08-11-2014, 08:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 12,191
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by justdiscovering View Post
Do the sb or pb1000 ever go on sale? If so what site most of the time?

And should I sell the f12? Or keep it and have 2 subs? Note:the f12 did a decent job of filling the room.
Definitely get a sub first. If money is that tight get the NXG. If youre even remotely satisfied with the Bic you will be happy with the NXG. Sell the Bic for around $100 and you can have the NXG for $160.
Bond 007 is online now  
post #5838 of 6037 Old 08-11-2014, 08:27 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 199
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
Definitely get a sub first. If money is that tight get the NXG. If youre even remotely satisfied with the Bic you will be happy with the NXG. Sell the Bic for around $100 and you can have the NXG for $160.
How's the nxg? Boomy? Tight?


There are no prices on the rythmik site for the subs
justdiscovering is offline  
post #5839 of 6037 Old 08-11-2014, 08:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 11,739
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
Definitely get a sub first. If money is that tight get the NXG. If youre even remotely satisfied with the Bic you will be happy with the NXG. Sell the Bic for around $100 and you can have the NXG for $160.
Or upgrade to the BIC PL-200, which should be comparable to the NXG.

Your questions are answered:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
cel4145 is offline  
post #5840 of 6037 Old 08-11-2014, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member
 
butie120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 701
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by justdiscovering View Post
I'll have to see tonight if I can get my sub level down to zero, to really make a decision if i need a new sub, I'm still in the upgrade mood for the 3 fronts. And my wife is pushing me for the fronts and the sub last.(she is paying for half, for holidays)
Can your wife talk to my wife? Hah, my wife would never "push" me to buy anything with audio stuff. That's like my wife saying on a Pottery Barn forum, "Yeah, my husband is pushing for the Mocha D'Creme comforter, but I think I want the Sunrise Awaits pillows. Decisions decisions!"

Anyway, you certainly do what you want, but people mean it when they say spend more money on the sub. I have the FS 52's so I'm not sure why you don't like them. I watched Frozen for the first time last night with my wife with the projector, and the sound was just fantastic. Can't imagine why I would pay hundreds of dollars more. But, like you, I own the Bic F12 and I know the missing ingredient is my sub. Does the Bic F12 work? Absolutely. Do I want something different? Absolutely. But just have to be patient...

Save up for the sub? Yes...that's what you have to do. Put $30 away each paycheck into a fund and in 9 months you can buy your new sub. Don't charge it (sorry, the banker is coming out of me...).

Don't mix the Bic with a SVS. Sell the Bic or hold on to it for a different room.
Warner2Bruce likes this.
butie120 is offline  
post #5841 of 6037 Old 08-11-2014, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member
 
butie120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 701
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by justdiscovering View Post
How's the nxg? Boomy? Tight?


There are no prices on the rythmik site for the subs
Yes there are. You didn't scroll down enough. The one you want is the LV12R which is a fantastic sub at $599. It was on sale this past month I think. It has Direct Servo technology which you can read about on their website. Many swear by this sub.
butie120 is offline  
post #5842 of 6037 Old 08-11-2014, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Transmaniacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 3,435
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Quote:
How's the nxg? Boomy? Tight?
http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...er-review.html

Quote:
There are no prices on the rythmik site for the subs
http://ascendacoustics.com/pages/pro.../subintro.html

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
Transmaniacon is offline  
post #5843 of 6037 Old 08-11-2014, 08:49 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 199
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by butie120 View Post
Can your wife talk to my wife? Hah, my wife would never "push" me to buy anything with audio stuff. That's like my wife saying on a Pottery Barn forum, "Yeah, my husband is pushing for the Mocha D'Creme comforter, but I think I want the Sunrise Awaits pillows. Decisions decisions!"

Anyway, you certainly do what you want, but people mean it when they say spend more money on the sub. I have the FS 52's so I'm not sure why you don't like them. I watched Frozen for the first time last night with my wife with the projector, and the sound was just fantastic. Can't imagine why I would pay hundreds of dollars more. But, like you, I own the Bic F12 and I know the missing ingredient is my sub. Does the Bic F12 work? Absolutely. Do I want something different? Absolutely. But just have to be patient...

Save up for the sub? Yes...that's what you have to do. Put $30 away each paycheck into a fund and in 9 months you can buy your new sub. Don't charge it (sorry, the banker is coming out of me...).

Don't mix the Bic with a SVS. Sell the Bic or hold on to it for a different room.
Hahaha!

I get paid weekly so it would be faster than that. Your saying save for the svs, get the nxg, or just mess with the f12?
justdiscovering is offline  
post #5844 of 6037 Old 08-11-2014, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member
 
butie120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 701
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by justdiscovering View Post
Hahaha!

I get paid weekly so it would be faster than that. Your saying save for the svs, get the nxg, or just mess with the f12?
Yes, save for a SVS (or a Rythmik, outlaw, etc). I wouldn't get the nxg. Keep the cash in your pocket where it belongs. You'll just end up spending more money if you buy the nxg now, and then buy a better sub months down the road. Find a way to be content with your F12 for the time being.
Warner2Bruce likes this.
butie120 is offline  
post #5845 of 6037 Old 08-11-2014, 09:00 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 199
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Yea the rythmiks out of the question
justdiscovering is offline  
post #5846 of 6037 Old 08-11-2014, 09:02 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 199
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by butie120 View Post
Yes, save for a SVS (or a Rythmik, outlaw, etc). I wouldn't get the nxg. Keep the cash in your pocket where it belongs. You'll just end up spending more money if you buy the nxg now, and then buy a better sub months down the road. Find a way to be content with your F12 for the time being.
Yea you're right, I'll try and fiddle woth the f12 in the mean time, my living isn't that big, so I don't need a show stopper of a sub, maybe I can get the f12 to where I need it.
justdiscovering is offline  
post #5847 of 6037 Old 08-11-2014, 03:13 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 199
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I can't get the levels to read 0, I think it's because of the wireless transmitter.
justdiscovering is offline  
post #5848 of 6037 Old 08-11-2014, 04:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 12,191
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by justdiscovering View Post
I can't get the levels to read 0, I think it's because of the wireless transmitter.
You should start a new thread. Has nothing to do with Pioneer. There is a Bic F12 thread.
Bond 007 is online now  
post #5849 of 6037 Old 08-11-2014, 04:55 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 199
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
You should start a new thread. Has nothing to do with Pioneer. There is a Bic F12 thread.
Dang, you guys were helping so much too.
justdiscovering is offline  
post #5850 of 6037 Old 08-11-2014, 05:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 12,191
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by justdiscovering View Post
Dang, you guys were helping so much too.
Post a link here to the thread you start.
Bond 007 is online now  
Reply Speakers

Tags
Pioneer Andrew Jones Sp Fs52 Flr Stand Loudspeaker , Pioneer Andrew Jones Designed Bookshelf Loudspeakers Sp Bs22 Lr , Pioneer , Speakers Subwoofers , Speaker Systems , Pioneer Sp Bs41 Lr 130 Watt Rms 2 Way Speaker , Elite Vsx 31 A V Receiver

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off