Pioneer's Speaker Genius Hits Low Price Point - Page 203 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 27Likes

post #6061 of 6069 Old 11-10-2014, 07:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quick question - I'm considering the FS52's as the LR for my new theater setup (if I go this route I'll be getting the matching center channel). I have on Onkyo 7.1 receiver (I don't have the model number at my fingertips at the moment) that's rated 70 watts. I'll be using a BIC F12 sub. As you probably have already concluded, budget is an issue ;-)

Do I need to be overly concerned about the lower efficiency of the Pioneers compared to, say, a set of Polks? My room isn't that large, and I'm hoping that the sub will give my receiver a little more headroom to the Pioneers. Will my receiver have enough power to drive these things sufficiently?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6062 of 6069 Old 11-10-2014, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz fretwear View Post
Quick question - I'm considering the FS52's as the LR for my new theater setup (if I go this route I'll be getting the matching center channel). I have on Onkyo 7.1 receiver (I don't have the model number at my fingertips at the moment) that's rated 70 watts. I'll be using a BIC F12 sub. As you probably have already concluded, budget is an issue ;-)

Do I need to be overly concerned about the lower efficiency of the Pioneers compared to, say, a set of Polks? My room isn't that large, and I'm hoping that the sub will give my receiver a little more headroom to the Pioneers. Will my receiver have enough power to drive these things sufficiently?
Yes, your AVR should be fine to power them. I would only be concern if you are trying to use really high volume levels, in which case your AVR will shut off.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #6063 of 6069 Old 11-10-2014, 07:50 AM

^

Much appreciated Gus - thank you!
post #6064 of 6069 Old 11-10-2014, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:

Hi buzz fretwear,

Welcome to AVS!

How far away from the speakers do you plan to be - i.e. often referred to as the Main Listening Position (MLP)? Kurtz9 asked a similar question based on 5' distance from the speakers, his receiver only needs about 37W to reach reference level. This is using the web app to determine peak SPL of 105dB at the MLP here: http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html For most people reference level is considered very loud and turn down the Main Volume (MV) by -10dB to -20dB.

If you intend to offload the power hungry bass frequencies to a more cable sub, this would give you more available power (i.e. headroom) from the receiver to drive the mid and high frequencies of the speakers and makes a lot of sense. The tricky bit is integration of the crossover frequency between the sub and the mains. Getting it work properly will result in satisfying results in reproducing the full 20Hz to 20kHz spectrum of sound.

So the key in determining power requirements is (a) how far away one is from the speakers'; (b) the speakers' sensitivity; (c) closeness to room boundaries; (d) number of speakers; and (e) how loud one likes to listen at average levels with 20dB headroom that the amp can deliver without going into clipping.

Maranatz NR1504, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik F12G
post #6065 of 6069 Old 11-12-2014, 09:59 AM

^

Steve, thank you! That's an excellent and interesting resource. It looks like I'll be fine according to the calculations ;>)
post #6066 of 6069 Old 11-13-2014, 08:14 AM

Does anyone happen to know if the FS52's are on sale anywhere? I've looked high and low. Kind of hate to pay full street price when it appears that they go on sale rather often.
post #6067 of 6069 Old 11-13-2014, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 38
What are the Best Loudspeakers in the World?

Gene DellaSala of Audioholics answers this simple uncontentious question: What are the Best Loudspeakers in the World?

After paying lip service to some overpriced decorations he tells us what we already know:

"Yet, I can comfortably say that I’ve never heard or measured a better balanced, better sounding tower speaker for under $500/pr than the Pioneer SP-FS52 speaker system."
Nikwasi likes this.
post #6068 of 6069 Old 11-13-2014, 10:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Does anyone happen to know if the FS52's are on sale anywhere? I've looked high and low. Kind of hate to pay full street price when it appears that they go on sale rather often.
Stay snug, buzz, and don't fret. I bet the 52s hit $70 before month's end. Keep an eye on Slickdeals and other deal sites.

Last edited by Nikwasi; 11-13-2014 at 09:30 PM.
post #6069 of 6069 Old 11-13-2014, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikwasi View Post
Stay snug, buzz, and don't sweat. I bet the 52s hit $70 before month's end. Keep an eye on Slickdeals and other deal sites.
It's killin' me - killin' me, I tell ya . Just got my first ever projector and I'm assembling a theater in the basement. I made the mistake of unboxing the projector and shooting an image on a bare wall just to check it out, and now I want everything now. It's going to be a fun winter up here in upstate New York.

But seriously, thanks for the good advice. I'm watching that site like a hawk, along with dealnews.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Pioneer Andrew Jones Sp Fs52 Flr Stand Loudspeaker , Pioneer Andrew Jones Designed Bookshelf Loudspeakers Sp Bs22 Lr , Pioneer , Speakers Subwoofers , Speaker Systems , Pioneer Sp Bs41 Lr 130 Watt Rms 2 Way Speaker , Elite Vsx 31 A V Receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page