Pioneer's Speaker Genius Hits Low Price Point - Page 205 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 32Likes

post #6121 of 6133 Old 01-16-2015, 11:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vijay Ganesh View Post
Can I go for the 1s now or wait say two months for the 2s to be on sale price same as 1s?
Based on past sales prices, the second generation are consistently and substantially more expensive than the first. Look back in this thread and note prices which are for pairs versus singles.

Quote:
I am in this confusion for a long time. Now the 1s sale is urging me to get them and not wait for the 2s. But if the 2s are way better in quality than the 1s, it makes sense to wait for them a little bit longer!!
Which is better?
The consensus of those who have heard both (which excludes me, as I only have first generation) is that the second generation are an improvement in sound, but not "way better". This is consistent with the constraints of these over-performing budget speakers. There also seems to be a preference for the aesthetics of the second generation.

In the context of this sale, be aware that there is no second generation equivalent of the SP-BS41-LR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6122 of 6133 Old 01-16-2015, 11:42 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJCxZ0 View Post
Based on past sales prices, the second generation are consistently and substantially more expensive than the first. Look back in this thread and note prices which are for pairs versus singles.
... what?

I bought my FS52s on sale, last month, for exactly the same price as the FS51 sale going on right now.

Ditto the other 2nd gen speakers- there's been multiple sales in the last 6 months on the 2nd gens that made them just as cheap as the first gen sales.

Personally, unless one is in a huge hurry, I'd suggest just waiting for the next good sale on the 2nd gens and buying those.
post #6123 of 6133 Old 01-16-2015, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:

The consensus of those who have heard both (which excludes me, as I only have first generation) is that the second generation are an improvement in sound, but not "way better". This is consistent with the constraints of these over-performing budget speakers. There also seems to be a preference for the aesthetics of the second generation.

In the context of this sale, be aware that there is no second generation equivalent of the SP-BS41-LR.
Thanks for your quick reply.
Yes I have done a complete research on the prices. The FS52's lowest sale price was aroung 65$ each which is almost similar to the FS51 pair now on sale. Also the C22 when on sale comes down to $60 which is similar to C21 price. Some other forum members also gave me the same info about the 2nd gen price drops and also told that these very good sales on the 2nd gen are rare, may be every 3 to 4 months. I already have a pair of BS21 so I am not looking at the BS41.

I think I will bite the bullet with the current 1st gen sale.
post #6124 of 6133 Old 01-16-2015, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtz9 View Post
... what?

I bought my FS52s on sale, last month, for exactly the same price as the FS51 sale going on right now.

Ditto the other 2nd gen speakers- there's been multiple sales in the last 6 months on the 2nd gens that made them just as cheap as the first gen sales.

Personally, unless one is in a huge hurry, I'd suggest just waiting for the next good sale on the 2nd gens and buying those.
Did you get them on sale on amazon?
post #6125 of 6133 Old 01-16-2015, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtz9 View Post
... what?
..is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

Quote:
That's great. You don't mention from where you bought them, whether they were delivered - free or at cost -or picked up, how you found the sale or other useful information for folks interested in buying.

Quote:
There is a fair chance that I missed or failed to recall details of folks posting about second generation sales in this thread, but the only comparable deals I recall were either in store sales at a specific store (Frys, IIRC) for pick up or a flash price-matching sale from Amazon (which may not have included free shipping).

Please share the details, links, etc.
post #6126 of 6133 Old 01-16-2015, 02:16 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vijay Ganesh View Post
Did you get them on sale on amazon?
Yes, I did

Quote:
..is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

An african or a european swallow?

Quote:
That's great. You don't mention from where you bought them, whether they were delivered - free or at cost -or picked up, how you found the sale or other useful information for folks interested in buying.

Well, I have, in a number of previous threads... I'd have sworn the last 2 such sales were mentioned in this one too.

And yeah, amazon does free shipping.

Quote:
There is a fair chance that I missed or failed to recall details of folks posting about second generation sales in this thread, but the only comparable deals I recall were either in store sales at a specific store (Frys, IIRC) for pick up or a flash price-matching sale from Amazon (which may not have included free shipping).

Please share the details, links, etc.

camelcamelcamel.com tracks amazing pricing... it's not perfect as their data can miss relatively short sales... but it's decent for general checking....also lets you set up alerts to email you when sales happen ( but again- it can miss sales that sell out fairly fast)

http://camelcamelcamel.com/Pioneer-S...context=browse

That's the surrounds for the 2nd gens... as you can see they've been down to $60 a pair twice since August, and $65 a pair back in June.... comparable to the 1st gen sales.

that's the 2nd gen center channel... as you can see it has been down to $50, comparable to the 1st gen sales, at least 4 times since May

That's the 2nd gen towers-their data missed the $59.99 sale Amazon had in December (about the same time as the last sale on the other 2nd gens- but these sold out faster and the sale ended on the item when they ran out of em)

But you can see since May they were down to $130-140 a pair 3 times in addition to that $120 a pair sale...again pretty comparable to the 1st gens.

FWIW- Newegg had a sale on the various 2nd gen stuff for similar prices at least once (in fact that's how I got my center several weeks ahead of my FS52s- they had the center only on sale at the time)
post #6127 of 6133 Old 01-19-2015, 05:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hey guys, not sure who it was but I recall seeing someone in this thread with hanging speakers, like with some macrome hangers or something... anyone know where I could get something like that? I have a really long room setup and I think that would be just the ticket!
post #6128 of 6133 Old 01-21-2015, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Google "macrame plant hanger".
post #6129 of 6133 Old 01-22-2015, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Sweet, I thought they were actually made for speakers whcih explains why I couln't find them! Found this post
Pioneer's Speaker Genius Hits Low Price Point

But I'm not sure I want to gamble buying them online in case they don't fit. I'll check out the local hardware stores to see what they have, thanks!

Found a how-to on how to make them http://www.lowes.com/creative-ideas/...hanger/project

Last edited by crakarjax; 01-22-2015 at 11:41 AM.
post #6130 of 6133 Old Today, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know this thread is about the SP-BS22's but I was wondering what your
opinion is about them compared to let's say Polk Audio Monitor 45's.
I just upgraded my HTIB Onkyo to a Yamaha RXV1077 and I'm still running
the 5.1 that came with Onkyo, it's actually not bad but I feel (hopefully?)
the other speakers would be an upgrade, and pair it with a PSW111, etc.

I can get the Polks for $150 a pair locally, and sub as well, so pretty
much $450 plus a center for the entire set ...

The speakers I currently have are the ones from HT-SP904B set which are
110w and non ported. I've read some good things about the SP-BS22 and
even compared to the larger SP-FS52, but it's hard to get them in Canada.
(they have the entire Pioneer 5.1 set, no receiver, for $800 here on sale,
so that gives you an idea how much we're getting ripped off )

I guess I don't really have a budget set but since the Yamaha cost me $750
I don't want to spend much more on speakers, wall mounts will also add to cost.

What should I do, are the Polks nice? - they handle more power and are 8 ohm.

Thanks!
post #6131 of 6133 Old Today, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape75 View Post
I know this thread is about the SP-BS22's but I was wondering what your
opinion is about them compared to let's say Polk Audio Monitor 45's.
I just upgraded my HTIB Onkyo to a Yamaha RXV1077 and I'm still running
the 5.1 that came with Onkyo, it's actually not bad but I feel (hopefully?)
the other speakers would be an upgrade, and pair it with a PSW111, etc.

I can get the Polks for $150 a pair locally, and sub as well, so pretty
much $450 plus a center for the entire set ...

The speakers I currently have are the ones from HT-SP904B set which are
110w and non ported. I've read some good things about the SP-BS22 and
even compared to the larger SP-FS52, but it's hard to get them in Canada.
(they have the entire Pioneer 5.1 set, no receiver, for $800 here on sale,
so that gives you an idea how much we're getting ripped off )

I guess I don't really have a budget set but since the Yamaha cost me $750
I don't want to spend much more on speakers, wall mounts will also add to cost.

What should I do, are the Polks nice? - they handle more power and are 8 ohm.

Thanks!
The monitor line are probably one of the best budget speaker you can get. Sound is decent for what they cost. I sold a 7.0 set up with Monitor 70, 60, C25 for $400 dollars locally. Why? I found them to be too bright with music. It made my wife's and my ears hurt after a while. However, there are many people who like bright speakers. Everyone is different.

What I would recommend if for you to audition the speakers if you can. If you have a Best Buy available listen to the TSX line, which is pretty much the same as the monitor line. If you like those, then you'll like the monitor line.

My personal opinion, I would keep the speakers you have right now, and use those for surround purposes. Then buy the best speakers you can for the front 3. I would definitely not recommend any Polk Audio sub. You're pretty much wasting your money there. Since you are in Canada I really don't know what to recommend. I usually recommend BIC Formula F-12 12" Subwoofer 475 Watts for $198.75, which is probably one of the best budget subs you can get.

http://www.parts-express.com/bic-for...watts--303-436

I also recommend the HTD Level 2 speakers. You can get Level 2 bookshelves and center for $358. That wouldn't leave you with much for a sub though. So, you can do what I did. I bought the best front 3 speakers I could afford, and I ran without a subwoofer for 4 months. I saved up and bought the subwoofers after.

However, if you are set to buy a 5.1 set up. Then go for the Polk. It's possibly some of the best budget speaker you can get besides the Pioneers. The Pioneers will sound better for music though .
post #6132 of 6133 Old Today, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post
The monitor line are probably one of the best budget speaker you can get. Sound is decent for what they cost. I sold a 7.0 set up with Monitor 70, 60, C25 for $400 dollars locally. Why? I found them to be too bright with music. It made my wife's and my ears hurt after a while. However, there are many people who like bright speakers. Everyone is different.

What I would recommend if for you to audition the speakers if you can. If you have a Best Buy available listen to the TSX line, which is pretty much the same as the monitor line. If you like those, then you'll like the monitor line.

My personal opinion, I would keep the speakers you have right now, and use those for surround purposes. Then buy the best speakers you can for the front 3. I would definitely not recommend any Polk Audio sub. You're pretty much wasting your money there. Since you are in Canada I really don't know what to recommend. I usually recommend BIC Formula F-12 12" Subwoofer 475 Watts for $198.75, which is probably one of the best budget subs you can get.

http://www.parts-express.com/bic-for...watts--303-436

I also recommend the HTD Level 2 speakers. You can get Level 2 bookshelves and center for $358. That wouldn't leave you with much for a sub though. So, you can do what I did. I bought the best front 3 speakers I could afford, and I ran without a subwoofer for 4 months. I saved up and bought the subwoofers after.

However, if you are set to buy a 5.1 set up. Then go for the Polk. It's possibly some of the best budget speaker you can get besides the Pioneers. The Pioneers will sound better for music though .
Thanks for your fast response, and recomendations.
It seems I can get the sub in Canada for about 300,
which is twice what the Polk is, but I've heard others
say negative things about Polk so I'm not suprised.

I already have a PSW111 upstairs for my Onkyo mini system,
and before I had a 108 I think but it sounded bad, hard to describe
but the bass was loose, and not hitting hard so I exchanged it

With speakers being bright I expect I could equalize
that by turning down top frequencies, maybe

I also want good music reproduction, but it seems the
Pioneer's would be better in that department ...

How about using one of the LR speakers as center,
is that a good idea, besides the logo being on the side?

Thanks.
post #6133 of 6133 Old Today, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape75 View Post
Thanks for your fast response, and recomendations.
It seems I can get the sub in Canada for about 300,
which is twice what the Polk is, but I've heard others
say negative things about Polk so I'm not suprised.

I already have a PSW111 upstairs for my Onkyo mini system,
and before I had a 108 I think but it sounded bad, hard to describe
but the bass was loose, and not hitting hard so I exchanged it

With speakers being bright I expect I could equalize
that by turning down top frequencies, maybe

I also want good music reproduction, but it seems the
Pioneer's would be better in that department ...

How about using one of the LR speakers as center,
is that a good idea, besides the logo being on the side?

Thanks.
You usually want to timber match the front three speakers. Furthermore, the center channel is going to be the most important speaker since it will be the one doing most of the work for voice. You can use a third speaker of the same model as the LR if you want. I'm not sure how that is going to sound though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Pioneer Andrew Jones Sp Fs52 Flr Stand Loudspeaker , Pioneer Andrew Jones Designed Bookshelf Loudspeakers Sp Bs22 Lr , Pioneer , Speakers Subwoofers , Speaker Systems , Pioneer Sp Bs41 Lr 130 Watt Rms 2 Way Speaker , Elite Vsx 31 A V Receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page