Pioneer's Speaker Genius Hits Low Price Point - Page 210 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 61Likes

post #6271 of 6274 Old Today, 02:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiscoNYC View Post
SP-BS41s for Front L/R, SP-C21 for the center, and the SW-8 for the sub.
The SP-BS41-LR are great and if you agree to replace the SW-8 in the future as the single best investment in improvement then we may not mention it again... too many times.

Quote:
I've been using some crappy old JBL satellites for the rear channels since it's all the room can fit (and even they are annoying placed).
If you want to come down to VA, I can hook you up with two bargain SP-BS21-LRs (i.e. four speakers) to complete a matching 7.1 system which won't fit in your space*.

Quote:
I was thinking of getting rid of rear speakers altogether and getting the new upward firing add-on speakers designed for an Atmos...
There is enough magic in the effect of a room on the sound that definitive right and wrong can be difficult to determine, but those would be the wrong speakers for the wrong job, since they are based on the second generation the Atmos modules are and designed for a different job.

If it you really cannot arrange your space to accommodate surround sound even with the usual options such as wall mounting*, with the 5.1 surrounds being closer to the sides of the main listening position, not the rear, then consider using front height speakers combined with widely spaced left and right and your tall ceiling. Your current receiver probably has an option for this.

You will also want a SP-BS21-LR to replace the JBLs. This should enable your receiver to give you the best spacious sound with what sounds like a compromised space around the main listening position. I haven't seen a NewEgg sale of them for a while, but I'm sure you can get a deal on these already superb bargain speakers.

*[You may be failing to consider ways to arrange your small space to fit the right speakers in the right places, though without pictures it would be a guessing game. Here's a guess: rotate the room 90 degrees.]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6272 of 6274 Old Today, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiscoNYC View Post
Please tell me if this is a completely stupid idea:

The living room in my new apartment is considerably smaller than my previous place, so the rear speakers in my 5.1 setup have been a bit of a pain. The rest of my setup are the SP-BS41s for Front L/R, SP-C21 for the center, and the SW-8 for the sub. I've been using some crappy old JBL satellites for the rear channels since it's all the room can fit (and even they are annoying placed).

Here's my question:

I was thinking of getting rid of rear speakers altogether and getting the new upward firing add-on speakers designed for an Atmos setup (the SP-T22A-LR), but hooking them up as rear speakers in my 5.1 setup. It would give my living room a much cleaner look and the wife would certainly be happy. My ceilings are ~11' tall. So, can those speakers even be hooked up to a receiver in such a manner and will that plan give me in any way shape or form the illusion of having rear channel audio?
You might be better off looking at small satellites such as the Cambridge Audio Minx Min22 which are about the size of a can of Coke. The Min22 have generally high Wife Acceptance Factor (WAF) and can be wall mounted with the supplied bracket. There is also the option of the expensive speaker stand if you need them. The Min22 are more petite than the up-firing Atmos modules you might be considering.

By getting a second SW-8, it will help smooth out the bass and minimize seat to seat variance on the lower frequencies as well as the ability to set the cross frequency to a higher value for the Min22. You will need to do this regardless of going with the up-firing Atmos modules or Min22.

The speaker configuration then be setup for an Atmos 5.1.2 system and you will get the full benefits of surround sound. This assumes the Atmos up-firing modules are located at the front sound stage and bounce the sound off the ceiling.

Marantz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301+T101, MiniDSP(2x4) & 10x10HD, Emotiva 2xXPA-5 (Gen2), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8, HiMedia Q16, LG 55EC9300.
post #6273 of 6274 Old Today, 07:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 844 Post(s)
Liked: 1133
Wouldnt he need an Atmos receiver to get any benefit from Atmos add ons?
Wouldnt he also need at least a 7.1 receiver since the add ons have their own speaker wire?
What if its not an Atmos source? Will the add ons play anything?
Where would he hook the add ons up to the receiver if its a non Atmos receiver?
post #6274 of 6274 Old Today, 09:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post
You might be better off looking at small satellites ... generally high Wife Acceptance Factor
While a factor, I got the impression that WAF wasn't his limiting factor, but space - possibly because he's mistakenly trying to put his 5.1 system's rears behind his main listening position. We may need to wait for more details from him to clarify.

Quote:
By getting a second SW-8.. [valid observation concerning the advantage of multiple subs]
..he'll waste money he should save for his first really good sub, after which he can start saving for his second.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
Wouldnt he need an Atmos receiver to get any benefit from Atmos add ons?
He wasn't trying to get Atmos, he just had a not-at-all-stupid idea that by getting the SP-T22A-LR as front left and right he could use the upfiring speaker to bounce the rear channels off the ceiling to obviate the need for actual surround speakers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Pioneer Andrew Jones Sp Fs52 Flr Stand Loudspeaker , Pioneer Andrew Jones Designed Bookshelf Loudspeakers Sp Bs22 Lr , Pioneer , Speakers Subwoofers , Speaker Systems , Pioneer Sp Bs41 Lr 130 Watt Rms 2 Way Speaker , Elite Vsx 31 A V Receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page