Pioneer's Speaker Genius Hits Low Price Point - Page 211 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 69Likes

post #6301 of 6309 Old 01-18-2016, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 971 Post(s)
Liked: 680
You might want to look into his new line of speakers:
ELAC Opens North American Design Facility Headed by Andrew Jones
Other threads here under "Elac."
Michael

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Downloadable FREE demo discs: Demonstration Blu-Ray Discs (Independently Authored)
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6302 of 6309 Old 01-23-2016, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 53
So I made an error as a parent and by accident left the grill off the center channel speaker. My son unbeknownst to me pushed in the dust cap. I tried to push around it to get it to pop back out, but I think it was stuck like that for too long. I used some duct tape to make it pop out a little, but there are some creases/lines on the dust cap that I won't be able to get out. Has this now affected the speaker? How concerned should I be about its performance?
post #6303 of 6309 Old 01-23-2016, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageJoeAudio View Post
It's been bothering me awhile now, but am I the the only one who finds the BS-22s to be rather dull sounding. I've measured them a hundred times, in a dozen different locations both indoors and outdoors, and the tweeter everythign after 2khz) is consistently 3dbs lower than the midrange output. It plays generally flat but just much quieter that is just is dark, dull and muted.
Haven't been following this thread much but (having had them a few years ago) since these are cheap speakers, I'd rather have them be a bit dull than too bright - which would be irritating to me at louder volumes. I enjoyed them when I had them - though I dampened the walls which made them much more listenable at high levels.
post #6304 of 6309 Old 01-25-2016, 05:34 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 39
post #6305 of 6309 Old 01-25-2016, 07:02 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by butie120 View Post
For all of you pioneer speaker owners I'm curious about your thoughts around using these for home theater.
I second what AJCxZ0 said!

There are better speakers, and cheaper speakers, but for the price, especially when they are on sale, they are awesome!

Listen to them yourself, before making a decision. I always recommend buying them at a B&M store (Best Buy, Fry's etc.), save the receipt and original packaging, and take them home, and hook them up to your system, and evaluate the speakers at home. Often times, the B&M stores have the speakers set up incorrectly, or set up to favor the more expensive speakers, or it is just a noisy environment.

Also, make sure that you like the physical look of the speakers, they do look much better in person. Also, make sure you are ok with the curved sides, especially if you are going to mount them on the wall.

Check out the new Andrew Jones designe ELAC speakers also, and check out these:
Wave Crest Audio HLV-1... Ascend designed budget bookshelf
post #6306 of 6309 Old 01-27-2016, 11:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 53
So I have been debating on which speaker line to go with for my HT and listening area. I've had the Pioneer BS-22 as my mains for a bit and wanted to test them against the Polk RTi4. I should mention I had the RTi4s around a year or so ago, but sold them to get some Bic America speakers. Later on I began thinking about how much I recalled about liking the Polks with their vibrant and forward sound. So, I bought another pair for cheap with the recent sale and compared these to the Pioneers.

I used one for each main, used Audyssey for calibration, and tried them different times with/without a sub. The Polk has a 5 1/2 driver, whereas the Pioneer has a 4". To be honest, I just assumed I would stick with the Polk because A. They're more expensive, and B. Bigger driver. It really floored me, and this is credit to Andrew Jones, how much more I enjoy the Pioneer speaker. What became really noticeable is how more life-like voices and sounds were coming out of that speaker. The biggest difference I noticed is the Polk sounded much more thin and shallow sounding, as if something was just missing. It lacked that "oopmh", and speaking of which, the Pioneer won without contest in the bass department. Without a sub running, the bass was tighter, cleaner, and more impactful even though it has a smaller driver. The Pioneer was more articulate and natural sounding even when it came to gunshots and tanks driving during Black Hawk Down. To me, it is really a no brainer, and it's just remarkable that this speaker is as cheap as it is. I can't even fathom it. Time to sell the Polk RTi4s. Over and out.
post #6307 of 6309 Old 01-27-2016, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by butie120 View Post
B. Bigger driver. ... Without a sub running, the bass was tighter, cleaner, and more impactful even though it has a smaller driver.
Interesting observations and a valuable comparison. Thanks for sharing.

Driver* size is an easily misunderstood factor, especially in subwoofers where it's common to see 12" drivers (452 sq. in.) performing similarly to 18" (1018 sq. in.) with over twice the driver area. It can help to think of the "loudness" capability of the driver being related to a combination of the driver area - proportional to the square of the diameter - and the maximum extension, i.e. how far the driver can move.

All else being equal (which is very rarely is), the larger driver diameter can move more air so can play louder; however considering the factors which affect the quality of the sound such as the speed at which the cone moves, the rigidity of the driver or the power needed, a smaller driver has the advantage.

A good example is the stereo speakers (and amp) which I currently use for my computer audio, which have a 3.2" woofer and 1" tweeter driven by an amp rated at a nominal 20 W per channel. For this kind of near field use, they not only sound great, but can play uncomfortably loudly before they start to lose quality.

To drag this back on topic, I will be replacing these with a 4.2 system with SP-FS51-LR and SP-BS41-LR and dual SVS SB-1000s soon.

*[A term I use to conveniently address both the cone and other mechanical parts of the thing which converts electrical signals into movement, as appropriate.]
post #6308 of 6309 Old 01-27-2016, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJCxZ0 View Post

To drag this back on topic, I will be replacing these with a 4.2 system with SP-FS51-LR and [URL="http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/Speakers/Pioneer+Speakers/SP-BS41-LR"]SP-BS41-LR

Is there a reason you want to go with the older models ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6309 of 6309 Old 01-27-2016, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VolkerH. View Post
Is there a reason you want to go with the older models ?
There are several reasons including (but not limited to):
  1. There is no equivalent to the SP-BS41-LR in the second generation
  2. The grills on the first generation speakers are dent/child/cat/vacuum cleaner-proof
  3. The SP-FS51-LR tweeters should be at the perfect height when mounted on the SB-1000s
  4. They were on sale at very low prices
  5. The second generation didn't exist when I bought them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Pioneer Andrew Jones Sp Fs52 Flr Stand Loudspeaker , Pioneer Andrew Jones Designed Bookshelf Loudspeakers Sp Bs22 Lr , Pioneer , Speakers Subwoofers , Speaker Systems , Pioneer Sp Bs41 Lr 130 Watt Rms 2 Way Speaker , Elite Vsx 31 A V Receiver