Pioneer's Speaker Genius Hits Low Price Point - Page 211 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 76Likes

post #6301 of 6330 Old 01-18-2016, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked: 755
You might want to look into his new line of speakers:
ELAC Opens North American Design Facility Headed by Andrew Jones
Other threads here under "Elac."
Michael

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Downloadable FREE demo discs: Demonstration Blu-Ray Discs (Independently Authored)
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6302 of 6330 Old 01-23-2016, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 60
So I made an error as a parent and by accident left the grill off the center channel speaker. My son unbeknownst to me pushed in the dust cap. I tried to push around it to get it to pop back out, but I think it was stuck like that for too long. I used some duct tape to make it pop out a little, but there are some creases/lines on the dust cap that I won't be able to get out. Has this now affected the speaker? How concerned should I be about its performance?
post #6303 of 6330 Old 01-23-2016, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageJoeAudio View Post
It's been bothering me awhile now, but am I the the only one who finds the BS-22s to be rather dull sounding. I've measured them a hundred times, in a dozen different locations both indoors and outdoors, and the tweeter everythign after 2khz) is consistently 3dbs lower than the midrange output. It plays generally flat but just much quieter that is just is dark, dull and muted.
Haven't been following this thread much but (having had them a few years ago) since these are cheap speakers, I'd rather have them be a bit dull than too bright - which would be irritating to me at louder volumes. I enjoyed them when I had them - though I dampened the walls which made them much more listenable at high levels.
post #6304 of 6330 Old 01-25-2016, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 59
post #6305 of 6330 Old 01-25-2016, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by butie120 View Post
For all of you pioneer speaker owners I'm curious about your thoughts around using these for home theater.
I second what AJCxZ0 said!

There are better speakers, and cheaper speakers, but for the price, especially when they are on sale, they are awesome!

Listen to them yourself, before making a decision. I always recommend buying them at a B&M store (Best Buy, Fry's etc.), save the receipt and original packaging, and take them home, and hook them up to your system, and evaluate the speakers at home. Often times, the B&M stores have the speakers set up incorrectly, or set up to favor the more expensive speakers, or it is just a noisy environment.

Also, make sure that you like the physical look of the speakers, they do look much better in person. Also, make sure you are ok with the curved sides, especially if you are going to mount them on the wall.

Check out the new Andrew Jones designe ELAC speakers also, and check out these:
Wave Crest Audio HLV-1... Ascend designed budget bookshelf
post #6306 of 6330 Old 01-27-2016, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member

So I have been debating on which speaker line to go with for my HT and listening area. I've had the Pioneer BS-22 as my mains for a bit and wanted to test them against the Polk RTi4. I should mention I had the RTi4s around a year or so ago, but sold them to get some Bic America speakers. Later on I began thinking about how much I recalled about liking the Polks with their vibrant and forward sound. So, I bought another pair for cheap with the recent sale and compared these to the Pioneers.

I used one for each main, used Audyssey for calibration, and tried them different times with/without a sub. The Polk has a 5 1/2 driver, whereas the Pioneer has a 4". To be honest, I just assumed I would stick with the Polk because A. They're more expensive, and B. Bigger driver. It really floored me, and this is credit to Andrew Jones, how much more I enjoy the Pioneer speaker. What became really noticeable is how more life-like voices and sounds were coming out of that speaker. The biggest difference I noticed is the Polk sounded much more thin and shallow sounding, as if something was just missing. It lacked that "oopmh", and speaking of which, the Pioneer won without contest in the bass department. Without a sub running, the bass was tighter, cleaner, and more impactful even though it has a smaller driver. The Pioneer was more articulate and natural sounding even when it came to gunshots and tanks driving during Black Hawk Down. To me, it is really a no brainer, and it's just remarkable that this speaker is as cheap as it is. I can't even fathom it. Time to sell the Polk RTi4s. Over and out.
bchboy1206 likes this.
post #6307 of 6330 Old 01-27-2016, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
B. Bigger driver. ... Without a sub running, the bass was tighter, cleaner, and more impactful even though it has a smaller driver.
Interesting observations and a valuable comparison. Thanks for sharing.

Driver* size is an easily misunderstood factor, especially in subwoofers where it's common to see 12" drivers (452 sq. in.) performing similarly to 18" (1018 sq. in.) with over twice the driver area. It can help to think of the "loudness" capability of the driver being related to a combination of the driver area - proportional to the square of the diameter - and the maximum extension, i.e. how far the driver can move.

All else being equal (which is very rarely is), the larger driver diameter can move more air so can play louder; however considering the factors which affect the quality of the sound such as the speed at which the cone moves, the rigidity of the driver or the power needed, a smaller driver has the advantage.

A good example is the stereo speakers (and amp) which I currently use for my computer audio, which have a 3.2" woofer and 1" tweeter driven by an amp rated at a nominal 20 W per channel. For this kind of near field use, they not only sound great, but can play uncomfortably loudly before they start to lose quality.

To drag this back on topic, I will be replacing these with a 4.2 system with SP-FS51-LR and SP-BS41-LR and dual SVS SB-1000s soon.

*[A term I use to conveniently address both the cone and other mechanical parts of the thing which converts electrical signals into movement, as appropriate.]
post #6308 of 6330 Old 01-27-2016, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJCxZ0 View Post

To drag this back on topic, I will be replacing these with a 4.2 system with SP-FS51-LR and [URL="http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/Speakers/Pioneer+Speakers/SP-BS41-LR"]SP-BS41-LR

Is there a reason you want to go with the older models ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6309 of 6330 Old 01-27-2016, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolkerH. View Post
Is there a reason you want to go with the older models ?
There are several reasons including (but not limited to):
  1. There is no equivalent to the SP-BS41-LR in the second generation
  2. The grills on the first generation speakers are dent/child/cat/vacuum cleaner-proof
  3. The SP-FS51-LR tweeters should be at the perfect height when mounted on the SB-1000s
  4. They were on sale at very low prices
  5. The second generation didn't exist when I bought them
post #6310 of 6330 Old 02-18-2016, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
What do you guys think will be a fair price for SP-BS41-LR in excellent condition?
post #6311 of 6330 Old 02-27-2016, 03:30 AM

Lightbulb Wall-mounting SP-BS41-LR

This is the story of how I mounted my SP-BS41-LR to the wall (which isn't really a wall, as you'll see). I've included links to products and mentioned current prices at Monoprice, since that's where I got them. If you don't care to read my ramblings, the pictures tell the same story, albeit much more succinctly and clearly.

Despite owning two SP-BS21-LR, one SP-FS51-LR, a SP-C21 and the SP-BS41-LR for years, I only just discovered that I can use banana plugs (5 PAIRS Of High-Quality Gold Plated Speaker Banana Plugs, Closed Screw Type Product # 9436 $6.64 at Monoprice), so in case I'm not the only idiot...

The back of the speaker looks like

Unscrew the outer part of the gold binding posts.

Pull out the red and black plastic plugs.

Screw the outer part of the binding posts back on. They will now take banana plugs.

Finding a mounting bracket for these big (7 7/8” x 13 3/4” x 8 11/16”) heavy (10 lbs 4 oz) speakers is not easy. There are a wealth of brackets for lighter speakers and brackets for speakers with built-in screw threads, but in my research I found almost none suitable for mounting the SP-BS41-LR - especially since I wanted them effectively hanging down from the ceiling. The available options seemed to be rigging some kind shelf with mounting tape, or suspending them in some way such as the genius flower basket method shown earlier in the thread. Neither would work in my case.

Fortunately I found the Adjustable 33 lb. Capacity Speaker Wall Mount Brackets (Pair), Black (Product #6839 $9.12 at Monoprice) which seemed up to the task, though the pictures on the site aren't good so it was not clear quite how they work mechanically.

Having got the brackets, the conundrum was how to attach the speakers to them. Of course I did not want to drill into cabinets, so I devised a method of using a wooden block which would attach to the top of the speaker with 3M Extremely Strong Mounting Tape with Gorilla Tape wrapped around it and the cabinet with the bracket screwed into the block. It might have worked with the right size and shape block, but would be ugly and the speaker would be hanging by tape, making positioning difficult.

Resigned to drilling into the cabinet, I removed the binding post plate to see what was inside where I would be drilling. Removing the four screws, the plate slid out and showed that it was in effect a box with the plate at one end and open at the other end with the crossover attached. The sides of the box would ensure that drilling and screwing into the cabinet would not hit anything sensitive. As I screwed the plate back in place, I noticed that the spacing of the screws looked fairly close to the spacing of the holes in the bracket attachment.

They aligned perfectly! The screw heads were too small, but I found four screws which were slightly longer and had large heads.

I've not measured, but a quick glance at my SP-BS21-LR suggests that the binding post plate is slightly smaller, however I think the plate on the SP-FS51-LR is the same if you want to mount those.

The bracket attachment screwed in place firmly and left the binding posts comfortably accessible.

The bracket was already securely attached to the "wall" during the recent construction of the finished walls, with Access™ Series 12AWG CL2 Rated 2-Conductor Speaker Wire, 100ft (Product # 2817 $32.91) run inside the walls from the bracket to a High Quality Banana Binding Post Two-Piece Inset Wall Plate for 2 Speakers - Coupler Type (Product # 3325 $2.84) on another wall where I would connect the receiver/amp.

The final step was to attach the bracket attachment on the speaker to the bracket on the wall, which was a simple matter of inserting the former into the latter and tightening the screw with the little rubber-handled twister and closing the safety wire loop by threading it through the small hole in the bracket attachment on the speaker and screwing it to the other end.

Here's how it looked with both speakers mounted.

You may notice how they are upside-down. Discussion of the port positioning in that unusual space, weight distribution and vibration, having tweeters nearer to ear level and the plastic "Pioneer" logo (unlike the sticker on the other three speaker models) is probably best left for another post. I have positioned the speakers to be on-axis at the primary listening position and initial listening tests with just the SP-BS41-LR and in a 4.2 setup with the SP-FS51-LR and dual SVS SB-1000s indicate that this will be a very nice set of computer speakers when I move my office.

Most importantly, they have not yet fallen down.
BuddTX likes this.

Last edited by AJCxZ0; 02-27-2016 at 03:33 AM.
post #6312 of 6330 Old 02-27-2016, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 181
The mounting looks great, Mr. Flibble.

Though the only reason I would bother with banana plugs is if I am switching out speaker cables often. If it's (semi-) permanent, it's cheaper just to hand tighten the wire directly in.
post #6313 of 6330 Old 02-27-2016, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmerci View Post
If it's (semi-) permanent, it's cheaper just to hand tighten the wire directly in.
You are quite right and I intend it to be permanent, however I sit here having just cut four new wires for the run to my pair of SP-BS21-LR in the bedroom theater (from which I took the SP-FS51-LR and SP-BS41-LR) and from putting banana plugs on the wires to the SP-FS51-LR. I mention this because it's a reminder that in my case no speaker is permanent and even with the nitrile gloves, I hate handling stabby standed speaker wire and that's why I like banana plugs.

Aagh! I just discovered that my 7(-1).1 home theater speakers have removable plastic bits and appear to take banana plugs, too!
charmerci likes this.
post #6314 of 6330 Old 03-05-2016, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 0
So is everyone still rocking these speakers for the home theater set up? I was thinking of upgrading all my speakers for my little home theater room but I am really torn about it as these first-generation speakers have been my first true love. Maybe I should replace the sun or would another tower so I can run three identical speakers upfront, invest in two quality subs and call it a day.
post #6315 of 6330 Old 03-05-2016, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymundoJ View Post
Maybe I should replace the sun [sic] or would another tower so I can run three identical speakers upfront, invest in two quality subs and call it a day.
You don't mention what subwoofer you currently have, what you currently have for a center, what surrounds or what kind of receiver/amp is driving them, how small your small space is, nor any budget, which makes it hard to advise.

There are plenty of better speakers, but buying five or seven of them to replace your first generation AJ Pioneers is going to cost some real money. Quality subs also cost real money, but even two comparatively cheap subs such as the SVS SB-1000 can be had for under $500 (I paid $325 for each of mine).

Ideally any surround setup has identical speakers, so if you have SP-FS51-LR as fronts and surrounds (and maybe rears) and no center, then adding one would fill that front sound stage better for a small price, but don't expect any great improvement to the sound in your small space since none of your speakers are likely being driven anywhere near to their limits or the limit of any competent amp.

If you have a poor sub, then a single quality sub will be the best improvement for your money. Two will be better for more consistent bass within your small space, but at twice the price.

If you still want advice, or want useful advice, then spill the metaphorical beans. I'm off the enjoy my SP-FS51-LR currently sitting on my dual SVS SB-1000s backed up by my SP-BS41-LR rears.
post #6316 of 6330 Old 03-06-2016, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Wondering how people feel the center channel, SP-C22, performs in their home theater? Adequate dialogue? Clear sounding? Anyone feel it's under performing in any way?
post #6317 of 6330 Old 03-06-2016, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJCxZ0 View Post
You don't mention what subwoofer you currently have, what you currently have for a center, what surrounds or what kind of receiver/amp is driving them, how small your small space is, nor any budget, which makes it hard to advise.

There are plenty of better speakers, but buying five or seven of them to replace your first generation AJ Pioneers is going to cost some real money. Quality subs also cost real money, but even two comparatively cheap subs such as the SVS SB-1000 can be had for under $500 (I paid $325 for each of mine).

Ideally any surround setup has identical speakers, so if you have SP-FS51-LR as fronts and surrounds (and maybe rears) and no center, then adding one would fill that front sound stage better for a small price, but don't expect any great improvement to the sound in your small space since none of your speakers are likely being driven anywhere near to their limits or the limit of any competent amp.

If you have a poor sub, then a single quality sub will be the best improvement for your money. Two will be better for more consistent bass within your small space, but at twice the price.

If you still want advice, or want useful advice, then spill the metaphorical beans. I'm off the enjoy my SP-FS51-LR currently sitting on my dual SVS SB-1000s backed up by my SP-BS41-LR rears.
Hello! Thanks for the response. So my room is a small one. It is 12 in length and 9 in width. Not much ceiling height at 6.5. I had a very cheap sub which I don't have anymore so right now it is subless. I have the FS51's with the SP-C21 as center and the BS21's as surrounds. The amp that was running everything was a pioneer vsx-521-k which I know is a cheap amp. Honestly if I were to budget for speakers, receiver, and subs I would say I can spend around 3k. Would obviously love to spend much less. Especially if I just replace the SP-C21 with another FS51. I agree with you on the subs and would be more than willing to get two of them. I recently auditioned some Martin Logan motion 4's at a local magnolia. The guy showed me what they sounded like with a cheap Avr such as mine and then used a higher Elite model. I want to say it was the SC-91? The sound was night and day so I'm hopeful two subs and a better Avr is the solution. What do you think?
post #6318 of 6330 Old 03-06-2016, 08:40 PM

[quote=RaymundoJ;42184321]Thanks for the response.

Welcome.

Quote:
So my room is a small one. It is 12 in length and 9 in width. Not much ceiling height at 6.5.
That's good news, since a small room is easy to fill with sound using little power.

Quote:
I have the FS51's with the SP-C21 as center and the BS21's as surrounds. ...if I just replace the SP-C21 with another FS51.
For the price of the SP-FS51-LR, I'd replace the SP-BS21-LR with another SP-FS51-LR and keep the SP-C21 since while a center speaker is always compromise, the SP-C21 is a big capable speaker.

Quote:
The amp that was running everything was a pioneer vsx-521-k which I know is a cheap amp.
Cheap, but good and plenty to power your speakers with oodles to spare. I have exactly the same powering my SP-FS51-LR + SP-C21 + SP-BS41-LR and even half way round the dial was painfully loud. Be sure to set your speakers to SMALL) when you MCACC.

Quote:
Honestly if I were to budget for speakers, receiver, and subs I would say I can spend around 3k. Would obviously love to spend much less. Especially I agree with you on the subs and would be more than willing to get two of them.
You don't mention what currency, so presuming US$ that's a huge budget for improvement and would be wasted to blow in one go.

If it was my money, I'd replace the SP-BS21-LR and their crummy stands with SP-FS51-LR and raise both SP-FS51-LR tweeters to ear level by mounting them on some kind of boxes. I'd then buy dual SVS SB-1000s. SVS will give $50 off new ones, or you may get them discounted from the Sub Outlet Store, or you can buy used (as I did) on Audiogon or elsewhere.

Alternatively, look out for a good deal on the second generation AJ Pioneers and get four or six SP-FS52 or put down more cash and go for the SP-EFS73 since they are likely the best AJ Pioneer speakers we're likely to see and you can do ceiling-bounce style Dolby Atmos.

Quote:
I recently auditioned some Martin Logan motion 4's at a local magnolia.
That's a different class of speaker entirely from the budget AJ Pioneers.

Quote:
The guy showed me what they sounded like with a cheap Avr such as mine and then used a higher Elite model. I want to say it was the SC-91? The sound was night and day
It should be no surprise that driving a nominal four Ohm speaker with an amp capable of and configured to do so sounded better, but the real lesson is to stay away from almost all sales folk.

Quote:
I'm hopeful two subs and a better Avr is the solution. What do you think?
Your AVR is fine for powering your speakers (and the suggested budget replacements). The Elite receivers are very nice and I love my VSX-94TXH, but unless there are features you want in a receiver which your VSX-521-K doesn't have, then it would be a waste of money.

In addition to the equipment, don't forget that the sound depends almost as much on the space. Position your speakers and subs well, use risers, MCACC then fine tune the EQ yourself. For extra points use REW

Get more advice, then let us know what you chose and the result.

Last edited by AJCxZ0; 03-07-2016 at 08:47 PM.
post #6319 of 6330 Old 03-07-2016, 10:24 AM

[quote=AJCxZ0;42191409]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymundoJ View Post
Thanks for the response.

Welcome.

That's good news, since a small room is easy to fill with sound using little power.

For the price of the SP-FS51-LR, I'd replace the SP-BS21-LR with another SP-FS51-LR and keep the SP-C21 since while a center speaker is always compromise, the SP-C21 is a big capable speaker.

Cheap, but good and plenty to power your speakers with oodles to spare. I have exactly the same powering my SP-FS51-LR + SP-C21 + SP-BS41-LR and even half way round the dial was painfully loud. Be sure to set your sub(s) to PLUS, not YES, (and speakers to SMALL) when you MCACC.

You don't mention what currency, so presuming US$ that's a huge budget for improvement and would be wasted to blow in one go.

If it was my money, I'd replace the SP-BS21-LR and their crummy stands with SP-FS51-LR and raise both SP-FS51-LR tweeters to ear level by mounting them on some kind of boxes. I'd then buy dual SVS SB-1000s. SVS will give $50 off new ones, or you may get them discounted from the Sub Outlet Store, or you can buy used (as I did) on Audiogon or elsewhere.

Alternatively, look out for a good deal on the second generation AJ Pioneers and get four or six SP-FS52 or put down more cash and go for the SP-EFS73 since they are likely the best AJ Pioneer speakers we're likely to see and you can do ceiling-bounce style Dolby Atmos.

That's a different class of speaker entirely from the budget AJ Pioneers.

It should be no surprise that driving a nominal four Ohm speaker with an amp capable of and configured to do so sounded better, but the real lesson is to stay away from almost all sales folk.

Your AVR is fine for powering your speakers (and the suggested budget replacements). The Elite receivers are very nice and I love my VSX-94TXH, but unless there are features you want in a receiver which your VSX-521-K doesn't have, then it would be a waste of money.

In addition to the equipment, don't forget that the sound depends almost as much on the space. Position your speakers and subs well, use risers, MCACC then fine tune the EQ yourself. For extra points use REW

Get more advice, then let us know what you chose and the result.

It's funny that you mention replacing the back speakers with a set of FS51's because I actually thought of that last night while at work. The fronts would be placed behind an 110 AT screen once it's done so I think the tweeters would be right a ear level. As far as the receiver goes......well I have new information. My sister watched Jurassic Park last night and apparently the receiver stopped working and smoke came out of it. I'm imagining the thing is toast as it won't stay on for more than a couple seconds when turning on, so it's time for a new receiver. I totally agree with you on the subs. I will surely be taking your advice and buying those two from SVS. I wish I could do atmos but my 6.5 ceiling height is not good enough from what I've read on the forums. I believe it needs at least 8.5 ceiling height. I could be a rebel and run two of those bad boys anyway. Should be easy seeing how I have drop ceiling. Once again I really appreciate your advice. I love these speakers and really value what other fellow owners say about the situation.
post #6320 of 6330 Old 03-13-2016, 10:58 PM

As mentioned in the Great Found Deals thread by tomrob62 and barber76, deals on second generation speakers, e.g.

SP-FS52-LR $52.01 each at Nebraska Furniture Mart and $90.99 each at Best Buy (or Open Box from $79.99).

That's $260.05 for a 5.0 and $364.07 for a 7.0 set of SP-FS52-LR delivered free by UPS from NFM. If you want the SP-C22, that's only $40.01. Add Dolby Atmos SP-T22A-LR speakers for only $79.99

Last edited by AJCxZ0; 03-13-2016 at 11:02 PM.
post #6321 of 6330 Old 03-16-2016, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Long time reader, first time poster.

I recently purchased a 5.0 setup consisting of 4 SP-FS52-LR system and SP-C22 for center. Its is driven with Denon X2200-W. After setting up the system and running audyssey I am completely underwhelmed with the sound coming out of the speakers. I kind of feel like the 5 year old Yamaha speakers I am trying to replace sounded much better.

Also if I go close to speakers, esp. the surrounds, the sounds are not clear/crisp ... it sounds more like a 10$ speaker which is trying to play at max volume. Also I hear a lot of noise ...
The center channel sounds muddy ... and is not crisp enough for the dialogs ... and I feel the dialogs sound better when played thorough the TV speakers.
This happens with both the surrounds ... and to a lesser extend with the front speakers.

My experience is definitely not in line with every one else ... this speakers have rave reviews everywhere.

I believe I have some silly issue with my setup, but no clue what it is. I keep hearing the speakers would open up after few hours ... But this is definitely beyond breaking the speakers in.

Any pointers are welcome ... If I can't find an issue with my setup, I plan to return the speakers this week end.
post #6322 of 6330 Old 03-16-2016, 07:31 PM
Advanced Member

Did you have previous speakers beforehand? The Pioneers aren't for everyone. They are laid back, neutral, and not forward sounding. I love them for music, but I found Bic FH6 was better for dialogue clarity in movies.
BufordTJustice likes this.
post #6323 of 6330 Old 03-16-2016, 09:01 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Did you have previous speakers beforehand?
Yes. I had them for past 5 years.

I have feeling there is something wrong in my set up, rather than with the speakers.
I will try factory resetting the receiver and setting it up again.

The AVR manual talks about a setting over ride to set the speakers to 6Ohms. But I also read its better to leave at the factory default(8 Ohm). I will try both.
post #6324 of 6330 Old 03-17-2016, 09:28 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbnpaul View Post
Yes. I had them for past 5 years.

I have feeling there is something wrong in my set up, rather than with the speakers.
I will try factory resetting the receiver and setting it up again.

The AVR manual talks about a setting over ride to set the speakers to 6Ohms. But I also read its better to leave at the factory default(8 Ohm). I will try both.
I am sure you checked this prior to posting, so, sorry if I am stating the obvious.

1. Check to see if they are wired correctly, positive to positive, and negative to negative, otherwise they could be "out of phase".

2. Put your receiver in "direct mode" or whatever your brand receiver calls sending the signal, with no processing or equalization.

3. Check to see if any speaker wires or connection cables are loose or damaged.

Maybe let them play for a day, to "loosen up". There is a never ending debate about "speaker break in", but some people hear a world of difference after their new speakers have "broken in". (Other people say there is no measurable difference between a new speaker and one that is broken in).

There have been some comments about quality control in the overseas speaker production.

Good Luck!

Last edited by BuddTX; 05-02-2016 at 09:48 PM.
post #6325 of 6330 Old 04-09-2016, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I finally pulled the trigger to upgrade my existing system (4 x FS52, CP22, Pioneer VSX-1123-K) with a Denon X4200W and matching Atmos modules. I'm very happy, but wouldn't mind a minor upgrade.

I noticed the Dennis Murphy Mod for the BS22's swaps the tweeter for a new Vifa unit - this one - http://www.parts-express.com/tymphan...eter--264-1040

I found another post of his on AudioCircle that suggested adding a 3.9 uf capacitor in series
You would get a deep suckout between 2500 Hz and 4500 Hz. You need to add a 3.9 uf capacitor in series with the Vifa's positive input terminal when you make the change. You would still need the full mod to get a truly flat response, but I think the new tweet with the cap would be an improvement over the stock.
But I keep reading about the mods being done on the BS22, not the FS52 or CP22. Anyone try the tweeter swap on the FS52 and CP22's? Is it worth it?
post #6326 of 6330 Old 04-09-2016, 04:17 PM

My new computer speakers:

Click on the photos for the full size versions, which now also work while Google keeps Picassa running (i.e. not long) and I try to work out how to do the same for its replacement, Google Photos. Thanks to VolkerH for noting that the pictures were inaccessible.
VolkerH. likes this.

Last edited by AJCxZ0; 04-09-2016 at 05:30 PM.
post #6327 of 6330 Old 04-09-2016, 05:03 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Pioneer's Speaker Genius Hits Low Price Point

^Pictures now work !

Last edited by VolkerH.; 04-09-2016 at 05:57 PM.
post #6328 of 6330 Old 05-02-2016, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbnpaul View Post
Long time reader, first time poster.

I recently purchased a 5.0 setup consisting of 4 SP-FS52-LR system and SP-C22 for center. Its is driven with Denon X2200-W. After setting up the system and running audyssey I am completely underwhelmed with the sound coming out of the speakers. I kind of feel like the 5 year old Yamaha speakers I am trying to replace sounded much better.

Also if I go close to speakers, esp. the surrounds, the sounds are not clear/crisp ... it sounds more like a 10$ speaker which is trying to play at max volume. Also I hear a lot of noise ...
The center channel sounds muddy ... and is not crisp enough for the dialogs ... and I feel the dialogs sound better when played thorough the TV speakers.
This happens with both the surrounds ... and to a lesser extend with the front speakers.

My experience is definitely not in line with every one else ... this speakers have rave reviews everywhere.

I believe I have some silly issue with my setup, but no clue what it is. I keep hearing the speakers would open up after few hours ... But this is definitely beyond breaking the speakers in.

Any pointers are welcome ... If I can't find an issue with my setup, I plan to return the speakers this week end.
In case you haven't fixed it yet - turn off Audyssey Dynamic EQ and change the mode from reference to flat. That improved clarity with my X4200W significantly. Also turn off eco mode too.
post #6329 of 6330 Old 05-02-2016, 09:14 PM

Also is this thread dead now? I completed my 5.2.4 setup with two sets of AJ Atmos modules and a Klipsch Sub12HG.

Tempted to pickup a second one to replace my old JBL Sub10, too.

Otherwise, I'm absolutely happy with it, audio wise. I may step up to a higher end Elac setup down the road, but the Atmos upgrade got me to fall in love with the system all over again.
post #6330 of 6330 Old 05-03-2016, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked: 755
I guess it might be "dead" since Pioneer's speaker genius is no longer with Pioneer.
I see you've followed him to Elac, and the corresponding threads here.
Michael

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Downloadable FREE demo discs: Demonstration Blu-Ray Discs (Independently Authored)
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Pioneer Andrew Jones Sp Fs52 Flr Stand Loudspeaker , Pioneer Andrew Jones Designed Bookshelf Loudspeakers Sp Bs22 Lr , Pioneer , Speakers Subwoofers , Speaker Systems , Pioneer Sp Bs41 Lr 130 Watt Rms 2 Way Speaker , Elite Vsx 31 A V Receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page