Pioneer's Speaker Genius Hits Low Price Point - Page 214 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 87Likes

post #6391 of 6417 Old 01-03-2017, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by patsfan189 View Post
Would having the left and right speakers at 80 and the center at 100 be bad? Not sure if the front 3 are supposed to all be set the same or not.
No, that's not a concern at all. The center is mostly for dialogue which you want to remain clear. You could set them all to 100hz if you wanted just to see how they sound. If you start noticing localization of your sub, start to lower it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6392 of 6417 Old 01-03-2017, 03:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zcars View Post
As expected, it depends on the source to a huge extent. When we watch a blu-ray in 5.1 it sounds great, but some TV dvds less so. I see what others have said about the centre being somewhat muffled, so I will try setting the xover to 100. I have noticed that these speakers sound really good with music. I have played some blu-ray concerts and with the Fluance dipoles diffusing the sound it is immersive. My plan is to eventually replace the AJs with my KEF Q700s, but I can't see them sounding 10x better given they were 10x the price. Overall, yes I am happy with my budget setup given the limitations of my room and when I get to use it
Yeah, I'm right there with you. On Blu Rays I have less concerns, but I've been comparing it to the Bic FH6 which sounds more clear and crisp for dialogue. These Pioneers do music really well, so easy to listen to. The FH6, although not terrible, just doesn't have the polish for music. Mine is a mostly HT setup so I'm testing out 3 FH6s up front once the other two arrive in a few days. On some brief experimenting, the FH6s are more lively and dynamic for HT.
post #6393 of 6417 Old 01-04-2017, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello all. I lost the little rubber feet that stabilize the spc-22 center channel on this set during a move.

I called pioneer, but they don't sell those as a separate part. Also called an independent dealer for pioneer and they said no go on getting it as well. Anybody have any thoughts on a product that can be used to stabalize the center channel?
post #6394 of 6417 Old 01-05-2017, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadhead79 View Post
Hello all. I lost the little rubber feet that stabilize the spc-22 center channel on this set during a move.

I called pioneer, but they don't sell those as a separate part. Also called an independent dealer for pioneer and they said no go on getting it as well. Anybody have any thoughts on a product that can be used to stabalize the center channel?

Door stop? Also, I'm sure if you brought in a picture of the rubber feet to Menards or Lowes they could find something for you that would be similar.
post #6395 of 6417 Old 01-08-2017, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Darn it! I missed the big amazon sales on the Pioneer Andrew Jones speakers/sub. Does anyone know who else has a good deal on these?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6396 of 6417 Old 01-08-2017, 12:50 PM

Darn it! I missed the big amazon sales on the Pioneer Andrew Jones speakers/sub. Does anyone know who else has a good deal on these?

post #6397 of 6417 Old 01-08-2017, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by sndr15 View Post
Darn it! I missed the big amazon sales on the Pioneer Andrew Jones speakers/sub.
Don't worry. There will probably be another one which you'll catch if you're sufficiently attentive and patient.

Don't bother with the sub. See advice in this thread and elsewhere.

Quote:
Does anyone know who else has a good deal on these?
Yes, they do.
post #6398 of 6417 Old 01-09-2017, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJCxZ0 View Post
Don't worry. There will probably be another one which you'll catch if you're sufficiently attentive and patient.

Don't bother with the sub. See advice in this thread and elsewhere.

Yes, they do.

What about the 400-watt sw-10 Pioneer sub?

Who knows about any current deals overall?

post #6399 of 6417 Old 01-09-2017, 06:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1427 Post(s)
Liked: 1007
Get two of these instead:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...A&gclsrc=aw.ds
You have 19 hours.
Michael

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Downloadable FREE demo discs: Demonstration Blu-Ray Discs (Independently Authored)
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
post #6400 of 6417 Old 01-09-2017, 06:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 6
I had a hard time finding info on in-wall surrounds that would go well with the AJ speakers I have (towers, center, sub). We are redoing the great room that houses this system and I have a family member that can help with instillation next week.

Monoprice had a 15% off sale yesterday, so I bought the 6.5" Caliber in-walls. Clearly, I have a very budget system, but in-wall surrounds were a must due to the overall layout of the room.

I also bought a pair of the 6.5" in ceiling Caliber speakers. My hope it to go from 5.1.2 to 5.1.4. I think I can get those wired easily enough too.

Anyone have experience with pairing AJ and Monoprice? Thanks!
post #6401 of 6417 Old 01-09-2017, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post
You have 19 hours.
Michael

Would that work well with a Yamaha yas-106 soundbar btw?

post #6402 of 6417 Old 01-09-2017, 07:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I see a sub out port, and it LOOKS like RCA, so I would EXPECT it (or any other self-powered sub) to work fine.
No personal experience with soundbars, however.
Michael

Downloadable FREE demo discs: Demonstration Blu-Ray Discs (Independently Authored)
post #6403 of 6417 Old 01-09-2017, 07:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarpNinja View Post
Anyone have experience with pairing AJ and Monoprice? Thanks!
I have in-wall surrounds and they're fine. They (and Atmos speakers) are mostly for environmental sounds, so fidelity isn't as critical as your mains.
As with anything else (up to a point ), better speakers are better.
Michael
HarpNinja likes this.

post #6404 of 6417 Old 01-09-2017, 07:14 AM

Quote:
I see a sub out port, and it LOOKS like RCA, so I would EXPECT it (or any other self-powered sub) to work fine.
No personal experience with soundbars, however.
Michael

The yas-106 along with the Klipsch sub would rock it out MUCH better than the yas-203 with its included sub I would think.

post #6405 of 6417 Old 01-09-2017, 07:19 AM

Quote:
You have 19 hours.
Michael

How would I control the bass on the sub? Does that sub use its own power?

post #6406 of 6417 Old 01-09-2017, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Sub has a 450 watt amp (hence the name), with phase and gain controls. And a cord for AC, but I don't think that's the power you mean.
I would expect the sub out on the soundbar would be equivalent to the sub out (unpowered) on an AVR but, as I said, I have no experience with soundbars.
Michael

post #6407 of 6417 Old Yesterday, 07:31 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Morning everyone! I've been looking at these speakers for a while now, but need an opinion. I'm running almost 20 year old Energy XL25's as my fronts and a fairly large Energy Center. They're running off of a Denon AVR-1912 in a 7.1 system with Energy Dipoles and Fluance dipoles in the surround area. I've been happy with them for the most part, but wondering if their age is a factor here. Would these be an "upgrade" seeing that I spent more like $500 per pair back in 1998? Or would they just be a "different speaker" The price point is great and the reviews sound amazing. Just curious as to your opinions. Thanks everyone!
post #6408 of 6417 Old Yesterday, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 24
They are a decent speaker, and good value for the money, but it depends on how you want to use them. Floorstanding or bookshelves? How big is the room? I have the bookshelves mated with Fluance dipoles in a small family room setup and they do a good job for what I want from them. They are really good for music because they are a bit on the warm side. The centre is OK but not as clear for dialogue as other centre speakers. That being said, I still enjoy watching tv or movies with the system, which didn't cost a lot. Also worth considering are the KEF Q100s currently on sale, a better speaker although more money.
post #6409 of 6417 Old Yesterday, 09:11 AM

Quote:
They are a decent speaker, and good value for the money, but it depends on how you want to use them. Floorstanding or bookshelves? How big is the room? I have the bookshelves mated with Fluance dipoles in a small family room setup and they do a good job for what I want from them. They are really good for music because they are a bit on the warm side. The centre is OK but not as clear for dialogue as other centre speakers. That being said, I still enjoy watching tv or movies with the system, which didn't cost a lot. Also worth considering are the KEF Q100s currently on sale, a better speaker although more money.
It would be primarily home theater. The room is about 15X24. I've been looking at the floor standing speakers. Not really looking to upgrade the center, just the two fronts. I feel like I'm missing something up front.
post #6410 of 6417 Old Yesterday, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

You may want to consider AJ's new line. These are still on sale, but they're not in stock:
https://www.amazon.com/Uni-fi-Floors.../dp/B01CRYWVLM
Michael

post #6411 of 6417 Old Yesterday, 10:00 AM

Quote:
You may want to consider AJ's new line. These are still on sale, but they're not in stock:
https://www.amazon.com/Uni-fi-Floors.../dp/B01CRYWVLM
Michael
Those look great, but are out of my price range since they're sold as a single and I can get the pair of the others for around $250. Thank you though!!
post #6412 of 6417 Old Yesterday, 07:14 PM

There are a lot of good low cost speakers out there, but if you are looking for towers under $400/pr it is hard to beat the Pioneer AJs. One can, and likely will, upgrade when the budget allows. This is why we love this hobby

You can also consider the Fluance XL5F towers, on sale. I'm not sure how they compare but I think they would be as good as the Pioneers.
http://www.fluance.com/xl5f-high-per...tower-speakers

Last edited by Zcars; Yesterday at 07:20 PM. Reason: added info
post #6413 of 6417 Old Today, 07:08 AM

Quote:
There are a lot of good low cost speakers out there, but if you are looking for towers under $400/pr it is hard to beat the Pioneer AJs. One can, and likely will, upgrade when the budget allows. This is why we love this hobby

You can also consider the Fluance XL5F towers, on sale. I'm not sure how they compare but I think they would be as good as the Pioneers.
http://www.fluance.com/xl5f-high-per...tower-speakers
Those look great as well. I guess my main question is, knowing that Energy speakers are pretty good, is this going to be a downgrade to my system, or an upgrade seeing how old the Energys are? Almost 20 years old. They've had to have some wear and tear over those years... survived several moves and a cross-country move.
post #6414 of 6417 Old Today, 07:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The only way to know how "good" your existing speakers are is to measure them.
Simplified REW Setup and Use (USB Mic & HDMI Connection) Including Measurement Techniques and How To Interpret Graphs
Or get another pair with a good return policy and try them (a good practice in general, anyway).
Michael

post #6415 of 6417 Old Today, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by robghosh View Post
Those look great as well. I guess my main question is, knowing that Energy speakers are pretty good, is this going to be a downgrade to my system, or an upgrade seeing how old the Energys are? Almost 20 years old. They've had to have some wear and tear over those years... survived several moves and a cross-country move.
What about AJ's Elac debut?

📺 Samsung (PN51F8500)
📻 Yamaha (RX-V475)
🎶 SVS (PRIME BS+CC)

🔊 SVS (PB-1000)
SVS (PC12-NSD)
🎮 PS4□Xbox One 2.5TB
post #6416 of 6417 Old Today, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robghosh View Post
I should think anything in the same price range as your Energy speakers would be more of a difference than an upgrade, depending on what you find is "missing" from the Energy's. You didn't state a budget, but it may be hard to notice an improvement over speakers you are generally happy with unless you spend quite a bit more. Even then, you would need to address the particular aspects needing improvement such as highs, lows, imaging, output. There's nothing wrong with just wanting a change either, and for these budget speakers it may be worth a try.
post #6417 of 6417 Old Today, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey y'all,

Sorry if I missed an answer elsewhere, did some cursory searching without luck.

The tweeter on one of my bs41s has blown, and I'm way out of warranty. Any recommendations on a tweeter I can pick up as a direct replacement? Barring that would it make sense to use Dennis Murphys tweeter/crossover combo? I know it was for the bs21, so not sure if it would work well in this application.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Pioneer Andrew Jones Sp Fs52 Flr Stand Loudspeaker , Pioneer Andrew Jones Designed Bookshelf Loudspeakers Sp Bs22 Lr , Pioneer , Speakers Subwoofers , Speaker Systems , Pioneer Sp Bs41 Lr 130 Watt Rms 2 Way Speaker , Elite Vsx 31 A V Receiver