Pioneer's Speaker Genius Hits Low Price Point - Page 215 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 87Likes

post #6421 of 6426 Old 01-27-2017, 06:57 AM
Audiophiles Anonymous

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevog View Post
still at least 6-8" below my "seated" ear level.
You must be rather tall. lol Or, your couch/chair sits really high. Anyway, I'm still extremely happy with the Pioneer Elite towers. What a bargain. And I've only listened to music. I have 11.2 all set up and ready, I've just been waiting on a front projector. Gonna wait til the Summer then that's it. Will pull the trigger then.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6422 of 6426 Old 01-30-2017, 01:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm assembling the items for a home theatre in living room and already had some old Paradigm Phantoms and Titans for fronts and rears, and recently bought (new not used) a Pioneer SP-C22 centre channel speaker and a Klipsch subwoofer so I have a 5.1 system. So far in my testing everything sounds decent although my Paradigm speakers are about 25 years old and may need old-age repairs (new crossover capacitors maybe?) as they don't sound quite as good as I remember.

I have the SP-C22 centre sitting on a low cabinet. Audyssey set it for 60Hz crossover and I can hear some bass from the rear ports that is not coming from the front. The Pioneer C22 manual recommends receiver CC crossover 100 Hz. So I will need to compare the crossover settings 60 and 100Hz.

Soon I will need to buy or build a cabinet or shelf system for the SP-C22, AVR etc (and maybe TV if not wall mounted). Is it OK to put the ported C22 centre in a cabinet space closed at all 4 sides and back, or should it be placed on an open shelf or bracket mount?

HT being assembled in 27x13' living room: 23" 1080P monitor (temporary). Denon receiver AVR-S720W. Speakers for 5.1: Paradigm Phantom (front L/R), Pioneer SP-C22 (centre), Paradigm Titan (rear L/R), Klipsch SW-110B 10" subwoofer. Video sources: Apple TV 3 (Netflix etc), Sony Blu Ray.
Den main hangout system: 40" TV fed with IPTV, Klipsch Promedia 2.1, Apple Mac Mini & dual 23" monitors.

Last edited by thousandaire; 01-30-2017 at 08:15 PM.
post #6423 of 6426 Old 01-30-2017, 01:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1658 Post(s)
Liked: 1266
As long as it has some "breathing room" (the manual should specify how much), you should be okay. Just be sure to line it up with the front edge of the shelf to minimize interference.
As close to ear level is preferable, so above the TV would be better than below.
Michael

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Downloadable FREE demo discs: Demonstration Blu-Ray Discs (Independently Authored)
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!

post #6424 of 6426 Old 01-30-2017, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by thousandaire View Post
Is it OK to put the ported C22 centre in a cabinet space closed at all 4 sides and back, or should it be placed on an open shelf or bracket mount?
It's not OK to put a speaker in an echo chamber like that and it's less than ideal to try to match a new budget center speaker with quarter-century old front left and right speakers. Audyssey will not be able to magically make these speakers match to give a consistent front sound field throughout the range of output.

Leaving aside the question of why you have just a center speaker, you might like to consider using a phantom center. If your front left and right speakers are capable and your receiver and room well calibrated, you can avoid all the compromises of the "center" speaker and have quality surround sound. If you're not convinced, then consider how stereo imaging works.
post #6425 of 6426 Old 01-30-2017, 09:14 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJCxZ0 View Post
It's not OK to put a speaker in an echo chamber like that and it's less than ideal to try to match a new budget center speaker with quarter-century old front left and right speakers. Audyssey will not be able to magically make these speakers match to give a consistent front sound field throughout the range of output.

Leaving aside the question of why you have just a center speaker, you might like to consider using a phantom center. If your front left and right speakers are capable and your receiver and room well calibrated, you can avoid all the compromises of the "center" speaker and have quality surround sound. If you're not convinced, then consider how stereo imaging works.
Hmmm oh now I see what you mean - a phantom or "virtual" centre channel (at first I thought you meant running another Paradigm Phantom speaker as centre). I will try configuring without the centre channel and see how that sounds. I have a Klipsch "Promedia 2.1" system for a TV in a smaller room and it works fairly well with no CC.

I edited my previous post to clarify, I'm running the 4 old Paradigm speakers plus the new centre channel and sub in a 5.1 system. I was playing the "Terminator" Blu Ray last night and it sounded decent. Cranked it up a little, I hope the neighbours didn't hear it.

I got the Pioneer centre as it gets good reviews and is inexpensive. I compared it to a Phantom by running them as a stereo pair and they sound similar except the Phantom low end is 40 Hz while the C22 is 55. Also I was thinking if I decide to ditch the Paradigms I could buy the matching Pioneer surround speakers (maybe 4 of the columns). I have read that some people are running 5 of the Pioneer columns with one as a centre, something like what you are suggesting.

My old Paradigm speakers sometimes sound great depending on the media and I think they are as good as new but at other times I think there is something a bit "off". They were entry-level speakers of that brand so probably don't have the best components that might give a longer life. I'm now reading that many speakers from back then used drivers with foam surrounds than can dry-rot, and crossover electrolytic capacitors that degrade after a decade or 2, now they use parts that should not have those longevity problems.

HT being assembled in 27x13' living room: 23" 1080P monitor (temporary). Denon receiver AVR-S720W. Speakers for 5.1: Paradigm Phantom (front L/R), Pioneer SP-C22 (centre), Paradigm Titan (rear L/R), Klipsch SW-110B 10" subwoofer. Video sources: Apple TV 3 (Netflix etc), Sony Blu Ray.
Den main hangout system: 40" TV fed with IPTV, Klipsch Promedia 2.1, Apple Mac Mini & dual 23" monitors.
post #6426 of 6426 Old Today, 07:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 26
selling my 1st generation aj pioneers 5.0 setup

$70 obo local pickup los angeles.

never dropped or abused, used in my bedroom

2 towers
1 center
2 bookshelves
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Pioneer Andrew Jones Sp Fs52 Flr Stand Loudspeaker , Pioneer Andrew Jones Designed Bookshelf Loudspeakers Sp Bs22 Lr , Pioneer , Speakers Subwoofers , Speaker Systems , Pioneer Sp Bs41 Lr 130 Watt Rms 2 Way Speaker , Elite Vsx 31 A V Receiver