Pioneer's Speaker Genius Hits Low Price Point - Page 5 - AVS Forum
First ... 3  4  5 6  7  ... Last
Speakers > Pioneer's Speaker Genius Hits Low Price Point
volta's Avatar volta 10:17 AM 10-06-2010
I may have missed it, but are these speakers exclusive to Best Buy only? I know you can buy on the Pioneer website, but are there any other authorized sellers online or at a store?
Also what is everyone's impressions of their sub?f I haven't seen too much talk about the sub here.

afrogt's Avatar afrogt 11:31 AM 10-06-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by sylar911 View Post

Can anyone comment on how these speakers would match up with Pioneer VSX 1120 amp. This is the combo I am thinking of buying.

Anyone's thoughts or opinions would be apprecited.

I don't see why it would be a problem for the 1120. The speakers in Best Buy were connected to a Yamaha 5940 which is a entry level model compared to the Pioneer 1120. They sounded good with the Yamaha.

Plus you're talking Pioneer speakers and receiver. I'm sure the folks at Pioneer have tested the two together.

From what I can tell only available at Best Buy and Pioneer website. Not bad, at least you can listen to them at Best Buy.
drewTT's Avatar drewTT 11:50 AM 10-06-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

Their stuff is not made for real head banging.

sure, agreed. would you say that they would still be pretty decent with dynamic music?

pioneer has them listed as "home theater" speakers and i am wondering how well they would do with music...
afrogt's Avatar afrogt 12:17 PM 10-06-2010
I only tested them with music. They sounded better to me than the Polk and Klipsch speakers that were next to them.

Do you not have a Best Buy near you?
sylar911's Avatar sylar911 01:39 PM 10-06-2010
zieglj01, afrogt,

Thanks for the comments.
I'm headed to Best Buy to listen to them before I pull the trigger.
zieglj01's Avatar zieglj01 07:58 PM 10-06-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post

sure, agreed. would you say that they would still be pretty decent with dynamic music?

pioneer has them listed as "home theater" speakers and i am wondering how well they would do with music...

They will be ok - they give a good sense of musical sound. With
dynamic music - use a good subwoofer.
sylar911's Avatar sylar911 11:14 PM 10-06-2010
Went in to BB today to listen to these speakers.

They sounded ok but the sales guy kept trying to upsell me on some Klipsch speakers. He would play the Pioneers then switch over to the Klipsch and tell me if I could hear how much better the Klipsch sounded.

I wouldnt say the Klipsch sounded better, just the soundstage was different, much wider.

I still think the Pioneers are great at that price.
zieglj01's Avatar zieglj01 06:29 AM 10-07-2010
Quote:

Went in to BB today to listen to these speakers.

They sounded ok but the sales guy kept trying to upsell me on some Klipsch speakers. He would play the Pioneers then switch over to the Klipsch and tell me if I could hear how much better the Klipsch sounded.

I wouldnt say the Klipsch sounded better, just the soundstage was different, much wider.

I still think the Pioneers are great at that price.

The Klipsch will jump out at you and the Pioneers will not - horns
have a different character. Best Buy is not a easy place to audition.
It is not always easy to make a decision.
Neceo's Avatar Neceo 08:08 AM 10-07-2010
yea i went to BB to hear them, but couldn't really get a feel for them as it was out in the floor, too much noise

also the pioneers need to be set to higher volumes ( it was stated in this thread ) so going back and forth between speakers you need to keep increasing and decreasing the volume.

also the sub was on the metal shelf, which made noise when the sub was working making that hard to get a feel for it as well.
moonsurf's Avatar moonsurf 12:09 PM 10-07-2010
I'm very interested in these speakers too. My only question is to get the tower or bs41. I wonder if bs41 sounds like high end audiophile speaker whereas the tower is more of home theater speaker. I will look forward for Andrew to join this forum today.
afrogt's Avatar afrogt 12:17 PM 10-07-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsurf View Post

I'm very interested in these speakers too. My only question is to get the tower or bs41. I wonder if bs41 sounds like high end audiophile speaker whereas the tower is more of home theater speaker. I will look forward for Andrew to join this forum today.

Chris Walker from Pioneer said earlier there are not better components in the BS41 vs the FS51. I suspect they use the same drivers.

I would get the FS51 if it were me since you get 3 woofers vs one and also wont have to buy speaker stands.
moonsurf's Avatar moonsurf 01:12 PM 10-07-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

Chris Walker from Pioneer said earlier there are not better components in the BS41 vs the FS51. I suspect they use the same drivers.

I would get the FS51 if it were me since you get 3 woofers vs one and also wont have to buy speaker stands.

If that's the case, I really wonder if I can get 3 center speakers plus the sub-woofer for 3.1 set up. If BS41 does not use any better components than others or does not have sound quality advantages, wouldn't it be better to use 3 same speakers so that the tonality will be exactly matched?

I'm just so curious if the center channel speakers are any different from front speakers...
magdielito's Avatar magdielito 01:14 PM 10-07-2010
I would like to know if there any detailed review of this speakers.
alphaiii's Avatar alphaiii 01:29 PM 10-07-2010
I bought one of the center channels to try out in my home... just for fun, really.

I haven't given it much time yet (only 1 DVD), but so far, I've very impressed. I did not expect such clear dialogue from an $80 center.

Even more impressive is that it still sounds clear off axis... For a dirt cheap, horizontal MTM design... that's incredible.

I'll report back once I've had a chance to dial it in (Audyssey) and run it through the paces a bit...
Neceo's Avatar Neceo 01:32 PM 10-07-2010
you don't think it will go with polk m60's would you? it is cheaper (which my wife will like ) ..

ah i know i know timber match
Thomd73's Avatar Thomd73 04:27 PM 10-07-2010
I've been interested in these for sometime and have been on a cheap speaker kick looking for the ultimate bargain. I tried the $109 Cerwin Vega VE-5Ms which were great but went back. I currently have the $99 Sony SB-3000 in house not as good as the CV's but ok for $99. Next I have the BS41's on my list. None thus far have been able to dethrone my classic Phase Tech 7t's.

Do the metal grills on the Pioneer's come off? I can't help but think thay they hurt the performance somewhat.

Anyhow, once the Sony's go back it's on to the BS41's.
zieglj01's Avatar zieglj01 06:35 PM 10-07-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomd73 View Post

I've been interested in these for sometime and have been on a cheap speaker kick looking for the ultimate bargain. I tried the $109 Cerwin Vega VE-5Ms which were great but went back. I currently have the $99 Sony SB-3000 in house not as good as the CV's but ok for $99. Next I have the BS41's on my list. None thus far have been able to dethrone my classic Phase Tech 7t's.

Do the metal grills on the Pioneer's come off? I can't help but think thay they hurt the performance somewhat.

Anyhow, once the Sony's go back it's on to the BS41's.

The metal grills do come off - however, they may have been voiced with
the grills on. Be careful taking them off - I used a pick and started at
the top center. I have not heard the Phase Tech - however the Sony and
Cerwin Vega's are not in the same league.
r3fug33's Avatar r3fug33 09:41 PM 10-07-2010
Hey Guys

Looking to buy these bookshelves, is there a preset thread in the back to mount these to brackets? If so can anyone with these speakers let me know what the treadsize is? 1/4, 3/8?

Thanks!
zieglj01's Avatar zieglj01 09:46 PM 10-07-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3fug33 View Post

Hey Guys

Looking to buy these bookshelves, is there a preset thread in the back to mount these to brackets? If so can anyone with these speakers let me know what the treadsize is? 1/4, 3/8?

Thanks!

No preset thread.
sylar911's Avatar sylar911 09:57 PM 10-07-2010
Does anyone know if the SP-BS41 bookshelf speakers are available at Best Buy.
I could not find them last time I was there.
Only saw the smaller BS21s.
zieglj01's Avatar zieglj01 09:59 PM 10-07-2010
Quote:

Does anyone know if the SP-BS41 bookshelf speakers are available at Best Buy.
I could not find them last time I was there.
Only saw the smaller BS21s.

They are at the Pioneer online store.
34HFX83's Avatar 34HFX83 11:14 PM 10-07-2010
I'm thinking about buying BS21 and its center speaker companion to replace my Panasonic Blu-ray HTiB speakers.

Will pioneer BS21s work with my Panasonic Blu-ray HTiB receiver without overloading or blowing it up?

Here's the specs of my Panasonic Blu-ray HTiB receiver (SC-BT228)

Output Power - Home Theater Mode (RMS)
Total Power: 1000W

Front: 125W x 2 (1kHz, 3ohms, 10% THD)
Center: 250W (1kHz, 6ohms, 10% THD)
Surround: 125W x 2 (1kHz, 3ohms, 10% THD)
Subwoofer: 250W (100Hz, 6ohms, 10% THD)

Output Power - Home Theater Mode (FTC)
Total Power: 446W

Front: 60W x 2 (120Hz-20kHz, 3ohms, 1% THD)
Center: 106W (120Hz-20kHz, 6ohms, 1% THD)
Surround: 60W x 2 (120Hz-20kHz, 3ohms, 1% THD)
Subwoofer: 100W (45Hz-120Hz, 6ohms, 1% THD)
zieglj01's Avatar zieglj01 04:36 AM 10-08-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by 34HFX83 View Post

I'm thinking about buying BS21 and its center speaker companion to replace my Panasonic Blu-ray HTiB speakers.

Will pioneer BS21s work with my Panasonic Blu-ray HTiB receiver without overloading or blowing it up?

Here's the specs of my Panasonic Blu-ray HTiB receiver (SC-BT228)

Output Power - Home Theater Mode (RMS)
Total Power: 1000W

Front: 125W x 2 (1kHz, 3ohms, 10% THD)
Center: 250W (1kHz, 6ohms, 10% THD)
Surround: 125W x 2 (1kHz, 3ohms, 10% THD)
Subwoofer: 250W (100Hz, 6ohms, 10% THD)

Output Power - Home Theater Mode (FTC)
Total Power: 446W

Front: 60W x 2 (120Hz-20kHz, 3ohms, 1% THD)
Center: 106W (120Hz-20kHz, 6ohms, 1% THD)
Surround: 60W x 2 (120Hz-20kHz, 3ohms, 1% THD)
Subwoofer: 100W (45Hz-120Hz, 6ohms, 1% THD)

The Panasonic receiver is made for the Panasonic speakers -
I think the crossover is built in the receiver to balance them.
Also, the 3ohm for the 3ohms speakers - not reccomended.
CRAW's Avatar CRAW 09:45 AM 10-08-2010
Quote:

Yeah, and not to sound crass, but get a real receiver - you'll thanks us later. Check on Craig's List for some deals in your area.
Raymond Leggs's Avatar Raymond Leggs 11:02 AM 10-08-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAW View Post

Yeah, and not to sound crass, but get a real receiver - you'll thanks us later. Check on Craig's List for some deals in your area.

Yeah, he really should get a new receiver, never even heard of any amp that ran @ 3ohms!

There may be a Working RCA RT2600 receiver on ebay for him , or an older SONY ES series Dolby Digital reciver for sale there too
r3fug33's Avatar r3fug33 11:56 AM 10-08-2010
Quote:

No preset thread.

Thank you for checking good sir.

Forgive me if this question sounds silly but I'm looking to wall mount these speakers, with no preset hole, is it advisable to create your own? Will this affect sound quality?

One other thing, a friend of mine is selling his JBL Venues, all in all both packages would cost me the same price, which is the better selection?

JBL VOICE Venue Series - 2-Way, Dual 5" 150 Watts Center Channel Speaker
JBL MONITOR Venue Series - 2-Way, 5" 240-Watt
JBL BALCONY Venue Series 2-Way, 4" 100

If I go for the Pioneers it would be the BS41 for front and rear and C21 for centre.
zieglj01's Avatar zieglj01 12:16 PM 10-08-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3fug33 View Post

Thank you for checking good sir.

Forgive me if this question sounds silly but I'm looking to wall mount these speakers, with no preset hole, is it advisable to create your own? Will this affect sound quality?

One other thing, a friend of mine is selling his JBL Venues, all in all both packages would cost me the same price, which is the better selection?

JBL VOICE Venue Series - 2-Way, Dual 5" 150 Watts Center Channel Speaker
JBL MONITOR Venue Series - 2-Way, 5" 240-Watt
JBL BALCONY Venue Series 2-Way, 4" 100

If I go for the Pioneers it would be the BS41 for front and rear and C21 for centre.

I have heard the Venue series and I prefer the Pioneer system. I would
not drill holes in the speaker. Buy some wall mount shelves and put the
speakers on them. Keep the shelves small for better sound quality. You
need room for the port to breathe from the back wall. They would sound
better placed on stands, if you had room for them.
elminster79's Avatar elminster79 02:14 PM 10-08-2010
Just went to bestbuy and listened to these and was thoroughly impressed. They destroy htib speakers for about the same price
34HFX83's Avatar 34HFX83 02:54 PM 10-08-2010
Quote:

But I have extra Bose 161 4/8 ohm speaker and its still puts out good sound and no problems.
I was thinking that if my Bose can work with my htib receiver, so can BS21 pioneers. My bose is still in very good condition and I'm thinking about selling it for $50 so I only have to pay $39 for the BS21s

I'm also thinking about replacing the passive subwoofer and my yamaha with powered Pioneer SW8s. Right now I use a hand-me-down yamaha yst sw216 powered sub and it works with my htib. I kinda wish the bass is a little more tight sounding and I'm hoping that SW8 will sound tight and clean.
zieglj01's Avatar zieglj01 03:26 PM 10-08-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by 34HFX83 View Post

But I have extra Bose 161 4/8 ohm speaker and its still puts out good sound and no problems.
I was thinking that if my Bose can work with my htib receiver, so can BS21 pioneers. My bose is still in very good condition and I'm thinking about selling it for $50 so I only have to pay $39 for the BS21s

I'm also thinking about replacing the passive subwoofer and my yamaha with powered Pioneer SW8s. Right now I use a hand-me-down yamaha yst sw216 powered sub and it works with my htib. I kinda wish the bass is a little more tight sounding and I'm hoping that SW8 will sound tight and clean.

It says in page 11 of your manuel to only use the supplied speakers.
The receiver and speakers were made for each other. The crossover
for the whole system is built in the receiver. There is risk of damage
to the receiver. The Pioneers will only play from 120 hz up with this
receiver. The sensitivity of the Pioneer speakers is lower than normal.
Most of all - it will not sound right.

I do not want to take away any joy - however, it is reccomended that
you find a used receiver that can handle the Pioneer speakers and the
Pioneer subwoofer.
Tags: Pioneer Andrew Jones Sp Fs52 Flr Stand Loudspeaker , Pioneer Andrew Jones Designed Bookshelf Loudspeakers Sp Bs22 Lr , Pioneer , Speakers Subwoofers , Speaker Systems , Pioneer Sp Bs41 Lr 130 Watt Rms 2 Way Speaker , Elite Vsx 31 A V Receiver
First ... 3  4  5 6  7  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop