Building a new System - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 09-28-2010, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I want to start identifying components to build a new A/V system out of.

I want to have speakers that can play the 24bit/192khz 5.1 surround track from the Akira Blu Ray. Not many speakers can reach 100khz so I wanted to know what my options were.

Pioneer speakers are the only one's that I know of that are advertised to hit 100khz. I've also heard B&W diamond series can hit high frequencies but they didn't seem to say they could hit 100khz on their website.

I'm actually a huge fan of focal speakers but they're only designed to hit 40khz so it looks like I'll be going with Pioneer for this System.

nextly I want a Preamp that can handle all 11.2 channels in the Audyssey DSX technology.

The only preamp on the market I know that can do this is the Denon AVR-4311CI that handles all 11.2 through it's preamp outputs. It also has Audyssey MultEQ XT32 which is important to me.

From there, to power all those channels, I'm going to need mono amps. I would love suggestions on the best mono amps because I don't know a lot about them yet.

From there I need a good source to play the blu-ray audio from.

I've heard that the PS3 really is the way to go when trying to process that many high bandwidth signals. Do you think that with Akira on blu-ray running from a playstation 3, would be able to output 5.1 Dolby True HD 24bit/192khz to the Denon AVR-4311CI. Then would the Denon AVR-4311CI be able to turn that 5.1 Dolby True HD 24bit/192khz signal into a 11.2 24bit/192khz signal? or would quality be lost?

Then the Pioneer speakers should be able to output at those high frequencies creating quite an amazing audio experience.

I'd also like some recommendations on a good SACD player. Would it be best to try to track down the old PS3 that would play SACDs? The reason I ask is because the PS3 has a very accurate blu laser which might be able to read the disk more accurately. Or would it be better to go with a high end audiophile SACD Player.

Also would you use the PS3 for DVD-Audio, or get another player.

The reason I want to go with a PS3 vs a more expensive universal player is because I'm worried that the universal player wouldn't have the processing power of the PS3 that is required to process all those high bandwidth audio channels.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-28-2010, 02:17 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by panzeroceania View Post

So I want to start identifying components to build a new A/V system out of.

I want to have speakers that can play the 24bit/192khz 5.1 surround track from the Akira Blu Ray. Not many speakers can reach 100khz so I wanted to know what my options were.

Pioneer speakers are the only one's that I know of that are advertised to hit 100khz. I've also heard B&W diamond series can hit high frequencies but they didn't seem to say they could hit 100khz on their website.

I'm actually a huge fan of focal speakers but they're only designed to hit 40khz so it looks like I'll be going with Pioneer for this System.

nextly I want a Preamp that can handle all 11.2 channels in the Audyssey DSX technology.

The only preamp on the market I know that can do this is the Denon AVR-4311CI that handles all 11.2 through it's preamp outputs. It also has Audyssey MultEQ XT32 which is important to me.

From there, to power all those channels, I'm going to need mono amps. I would love suggestions on the best mono amps because I don't know a lot about them yet.

From there I need a good source to play the blu-ray audio from.

I've heard that the PS3 really is the way to go when trying to process that many high bandwidth signals. Do you think that with Akira on blu-ray running from a playstation 3, would be able to output 5.1 Dolby True HD 24bit/192khz to the Denon AVR-4311CI. Then would the Denon AVR-4311CI be able to turn that 5.1 Dolby True HD 24bit/192khz signal into a 11.2 24bit/192khz signal? or would quality be lost?

Then the Pioneer speakers should be able to output at those high frequencies creating quite an amazing audio experience.

I'd also like some recommendations on a good SACD player. Would it be best to try to track down the old PS3 that would play SACDs? The reason I ask is because the PS3 has a very accurate blu laser which might be able to read the disk more accurately. Or would it be better to go with a high end audiophile SACD Player.

Also would you use the PS3 for DVD-Audio, or get another player.

The reason I want to go with a PS3 vs a more expensive universal player is because I'm worried that the universal player wouldn't have the processing power of the PS3 that is required to process all those high bandwidth audio channels.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.kosmic.us/mhi-evidence-speakers.html
http://musicalheartinstruments.net/default.html

Main Driver

A wide range high sensitivity 4.5" diameter "MOGAMI" paper cone mid/woofer, made exclusively by Pioneer for MHI, is run full range without crossover. This one transducer operating between 65-10Khz, reproduces the complete vocal harmonic range without a reduction in coherency typical of most conventional designs. Lower crossover points usually require high pass filtering for the mid/woofer which can introduce phase and time distortions. The result is exceptional transparency and imaging.

Tweeter

A 2" pure aluminum true ribbon tweeter, also made by Pioneer exclusively for MHI, operates from 10 Khz up to 120 Khz!

Maybe this world is another planet's hell.
Aldous Huxley
post #3 of 8 Old 09-28-2010, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

wow 120khz. thanks!
post #4 of 8 Old 09-28-2010, 02:59 PM

"From there, to power all those channels, I'm going to need mono amps. I would love suggestions on the best mono amps because I don't know a lot about them yet."

11 monoblocks? wow, that's alot of heat, and power, and space. Completely awesome, but wow...

Sec 42-30
It is unlawful to make any loud music, in a manner that the same is heard on the public streets or sidewalks to the annoyance of persons or cause a disturbance of the peace. Pfft- whatever!
post #5 of 8 Old 09-28-2010, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFakaMAX View Post

"From there, to power all those channels, I'm going to need mono amps. I would love suggestions on the best mono amps because I don't know a lot about them yet."

11 monoblocks? wow, that's alot of heat, and power, and space. Completely awesome, but wow...

yeah, I don't know if it will really happen, they are pricey. The thing is, I don't know any power amps out there that can handle 11, channels, and I really think the quality would be better if each channel had a dedicated amp, rather than having a bunch of tiny amps packed into one tiny hot case. The most I know of as far as consumer amps is Denon's 10 channel, that's still shy of 11, and like I said, i have to think that you'd get a better result with monoamps.

But yeah, that'd be one heck of a rack of gear.

This is a dream project for me, that doesn't mean it won't happen, but it'll probably take some years, like building a hot rod, and I'm trying to gather a lot of research, information, brands to choose from, etc.
post #6 of 8 Old 09-28-2010, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by panzeroceania View Post

This is a dream project for me, that doesn't mean it won't happen, but it'll probably take some years, like building a hot rod, and I'm trying to gather a lot of research, information, brands to choose from, etc.

This dream project could move closer to a reality project if you focused on frequencies we could actually hear. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hearing_range Or is this your dog's dream system?

Ron
post #7 of 8 Old 09-28-2010, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldoCombs View Post

This dream project could move closer to a reality project if you focused on frequencies we could actually hear. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hearing_range Or is this your dog's dream system?

Ron

Hear hear.

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #8 of 8 Old 09-28-2010, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

ha ha, it's more a curiosity thing, I know that it's far outside the human range of hearing

it's not detectable by the human ear, but because it's such an extreme frequency it can be experienced

see this post

Quote:
Originally Posted by radionerd View Post

But wait, is the limit on human hearing 20Hz-20kHz? That is correct. Buying 100kHz speakers doesn't mean you will be able to hear the sound effect that's playing back. This is where Hypersonic Effects come in. We all know what Subsonic Effects are. If you don't, they are low frequency effects that cannot be heard but produce enough vibration to rattle surrounding objects via air movement. Two common Subsonic effects are rumble seats and chest cavity vibrations. Hypersonic Effects instead raise brain activity and produce a psychological feeling of pleasure when listening to audio with high frequency effects.

so it's not heard but it is felt.

The only downside is that focusing on speakers that can achieve this is awesome and will allow unique experiences, but they won't necessarily produce the best sound quality in most regular situations, so I'd probably try this at a dealer before committing. and even then I'd probably just get 1 pair at first to really use them for awhile.
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page