JBL Pro 3677 Have arrived!!! - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #451 of 466 Old 07-31-2014, 01:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
pdxrealtor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,515
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post
@MKtheater , @cdy2179 , @pdxrealtor

Since you guys have the 3677, what's your thought on this:
Pro Cinema Speakers, the X-Curve, and other Target Curves at Home

If I wanna remove the X-Curve characteristic, is it as simple as this ?:
1 - remove 3677 internal crossover network
2 - wire up the Crown XLS amp directly to the LF element (woofer) and HF element (compression driver)
3 - set the Crown to bi-amp mode and set a HF crossover frequency. What is the ideal frequency to set?
4 - Listen and enjoy ? Any bad effects?
My Pioneer boosts the HF to its target eq curve which is higher highs than xcurve. Essentially overriding the 3677 xover.

My pioneer also has THX modes, which is basically x-curve with other affects.

If one just wishes to apply some x-curve the Pioneer has an x-curve adjustment (reduces the highs). It can't be used with THX modes as they both do similar things.

After auto EQ, without THX or x-curve applied, just using auto surround on a hd audio bluray the sound is too bright for me at higher listening levels. And thats where I like to listen - higher levels.

Same thing turning off eq, I no longer need the THX or x-curve because the 3677 xover is getting through.

Do some searching on THX mode and you'll see a mix of those who like and use it and those who don't. There is no shortage of guys who prefer the x-curve/THX mode or similar.

Im pretty sure the 3677 has been overhauled since the 70s.

The O. poster of that thread sounds like a Klipsch salesman. Haha.
pdxrealtor is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #452 of 466 Old 07-31-2014, 04:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Skylinestar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,426
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxrealtor View Post
Im pretty sure the 3677 has been overhauled since the 70s.
Are you sure about this? The drivers could be the same, but how about the crossover network? Could you please ask the JBL tech team about this?

The 3677 PDF spec sheet at JBL is created on year 2000, modified on 2001, with a huge [PRELIMINARY] at the bottom right corner. Why is it [PRELIMINARY] ? I can't find any spec sheet with [PRELIMINARY] other than this 3677.
The Technical Manual PDF sheet is created and modified on 2012. The frequency response is not stated in the PDF though.
Skylinestar is offline  
post #453 of 466 Old 07-31-2014, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
pdxrealtor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,515
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post
Are you sure about this? The drivers could be the same, but how about the crossover network? Could you please ask the JBL tech team about this?

The 3677 PDF spec sheet at JBL is created on year 2000, modified on 2001, with a huge [PRELIMINARY] at the bottom right corner. Why is it [PRELIMINARY] ? I can't find any spec sheet with [PRELIMINARY] other than this 3677.
The Technical Manual PDF sheet is created and modified on 2012. The frequency response is not stated in the PDF though.

lol - no. That's why I stated 'pretty' sure.

I'm also not sure if my statement about the AVR boosting the highs back up is correct. After thinking about it shouldn't matter how darn high the highs are boosted..... the xover should not allow them through, period.

I am sure my AVR gives most boost to the highs. I am sure that THX mode does cut out the highs.

FS- Netgear 550 .ISO player - PM me
My Gear-Pioneer, JBL Pro Cinema, Fi Car Audio 4- SP4 18", Peavey IPR2 7500 x 4 -Mini-Dsp 4x10, GIK Acoustics, Seymour Screens 110" AT, Dune Smarts, uNraid Server

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
pdxrealtor is offline  
post #454 of 466 Old 08-01-2014, 11:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Skylinestar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,426
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by berstuck View Post
http://www.jblpro.com/www/support/contact

All the sales rep's numbers listed and the corporate office number listed. Good luck.
There's no email. Sigh.
Skylinestar is offline  
post #455 of 466 Old 08-19-2014, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
cdy2179's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: central Louisiana
Posts: 1,626
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Your avr can boost the highs, the xcurve applies a curve that begins around 2k and slowly tappers down, UT of course you can boost to flatten the curve. Although as is It actually sounds great and it's not really noticeable. The 3677 had outstanding high end, very energetic and I never noticed anything missing. Music had the most energy and more powerful sound than anything I've heard.
cdy2179 is online now  
post #456 of 466 Old 08-20-2014, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Skylinestar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,426
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdy2179 View Post
Your avr can boost the highs, the xcurve applies a curve that begins around 2k and slowly tappers down, UT of course you can boost to flatten the curve. Although as is It actually sounds great and it's not really noticeable. The 3677 had outstanding high end, very energetic and I never noticed anything missing. Music had the most energy and more powerful sound than anything I've heard.
Will be shifting to my new house with a small 12'x11'x9' room. My screen is already 9 feet wide. I guess I'll ask my local installer on how to install these 3677 above my screen, tilted down.
Skylinestar is offline  
post #457 of 466 Old 08-20-2014, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
cdy2179's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: central Louisiana
Posts: 1,626
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Is there anyway you can put an acoustic screen like Seymour xd in front of them? You could build one for $250 or so. You'd lose a foot of your room but its gonna be a pain trying to mount these above, these beast are big and heavy. And sitting that close the sound above the screen would be very localized.
cdy2179 is online now  
post #458 of 466 Old 08-21-2014, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Skylinestar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,426
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdy2179 View Post
Is there anyway you can put an acoustic screen like Seymour xd in front of them? You could build one for $250 or so. You'd lose a foot of your room but its gonna be a pain trying to mount these above, these beast are big and heavy. And sitting that close the sound above the screen would be very localized.
I can't. I've already spent a lot on ambient-light rejection screen. Unlike many people who prefer better sound over video, I prefer a better video. The speaker will just sit on the floor below the screen, with lots of upward tilt.
Hopefully someone will make a killer ambient light rejection AT screen at low price in the next 15 year.

Last edited by Skylinestar; 08-21-2014 at 08:18 AM.
Skylinestar is offline  
post #459 of 466 Old 09-05-2014, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Skylinestar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,426
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I've received my 3677 + 8340A + 2516 from my local distributor. The 3677 looks small to me...but still quite tall when placed below my non-AT screen...blocks part of my 16:9 screen.

The 2516 bracket doesn't come with any screws to attach it to the speaker. Is that normal? What kind of screw should I look for?
Skylinestar is offline  
post #460 of 466 Old 09-05-2014, 11:34 AM
Senior Member
 
jparker36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 263
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16
When will you have the fronts set up? I'm trying to decide on 3677s below the screen tilted like you or paying more and putting together an AT screen. Would be good to hear your impressions on if the sound is obviously coming from below (and if a 2nd row is blocked by the 1st row's heads)
jparker36 is online now  
post #461 of 466 Old 09-06-2014, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Skylinestar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,426
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by jparker36 View Post
When will you have the fronts set up? I'm trying to decide on 3677s below the screen tilted like you or paying more and putting together an AT screen. Would be good to hear your impressions on if the sound is obviously coming from below (and if a 2nd row is blocked by the 1st row's heads)
I have the left and right stacked above my pair of subs, flanking left & right of the screen. The center is below the screen though (and blocked part of my 16:9 screen). As MKtheater has said, these speakers will take some time to break in to sound sweet and slamming.

If you have more than one row of seating, try to stay away from floor placement as the speakers will be blocked.

Anyway, the screws for the 2516 brackets are the screws that are already installed on the 8340A. Neat.
Skylinestar is offline  
post #462 of 466 Old 09-12-2014, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
cdy2179's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: central Louisiana
Posts: 1,626
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post
As MKtheater has said, these speakers will take some time to break in to sound sweet and slamming.

.

yea if you look back in my thread at the dates you'll see how long mine took. I ran them cranked while we were at work etc and ran bass test tones to break them in. They got smoother and smoother as time went on and ended up very smooth. The woofer broke in before the tweeter.

FWIW I have been testing out some QSC 2150s with basically the bass cabinet of the 3622/4622 (I installed some JBL m115-8a drivers). The 3677s woofer is superior with more slam, but the 2035hpl driver is a much better driver so it should sound better.
cdy2179 is online now  
post #463 of 466 Old 09-12-2014, 07:02 AM
Senior Member
 
jparker36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 263
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post
I have the left and right stacked above my pair of subs, flanking left & right of the screen. The center is below the screen though (and blocked part of my 16:9 screen). As MKtheater has said, these speakers will take some time to break in to sound sweet and slamming.

If you have more than one row of seating, try to stay away from floor placement as the speakers will be blocked.

Anyway, the screws for the 2516 brackets are the screws that are already installed on the 8340A. Neat.
Thanks for the info. I guess I'll just go AT and sit the 3677s on top of the two terraforms
jparker36 is online now  
post #464 of 466 Old 09-12-2014, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Skylinestar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,426
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdy2179 View Post
yea if you look back in my thread at the dates you'll see how long mine took. I ran them cranked while we were at work etc and ran bass test tones to break them in. They got smoother and smoother as time went on and ended up very smooth. The woofer broke in before the tweeter.

FWIW I have been testing out some QSC 2150s with basically the bass cabinet of the 3622/4622 (I installed some JBL m115-8a drivers). The 3677s woofer is superior with more slam, but the 2035hpl driver is a much better driver so it should sound better.
To break-in the 3677, do you switch off bass management in your AVR? Running the 3677 as large (or no crossover)? Or do you set the crossover to 40Hz to protect your receiver/amp?
@MKtheater , how do you break-in the JBLs when running WOTW? Full range with no crossovers too?
Skylinestar is offline  
post #465 of 466 Old 09-12-2014, 07:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
MKtheater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Hartford, NY
Posts: 14,451
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 428
I broke them in with them set as I was going to use them, 80hz THX crossover. I played reference 4 times and done. They were very HF biased until those dual 15's kicked in. I thought I made a huge mistake but then they came alive.
MKtheater is offline  
post #466 of 466 Old 09-12-2014, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
cdy2179's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: central Louisiana
Posts: 1,626
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 30
yeah I ran them full range to break in when I wasn't in the room or home. I also ran test tone sweeps down to 40hz and if you read this thread you know they shook the house like powerful subs. Because that had so much authority I ran them at 60hz crossover for a while.

What made them so insane was their ability to shake the room at even 100hz where every other speaker I've heard had little energy here. The rolloff to the sub was perfect. If you run 100hz-120hz through your sub you'll notice how powerful it is...the 3677 had that same powerful sound...that was something I had never heard.... that's truly keeping up with the subs and IMO that's what gives JBL their famous midbass.

Like I said above though the Cd took longer to break in. If you read the first 4 pages of the thread you'll see their progression. From September 30 to October 18th they were changing.

I also upgraded the insulation which soften their sound as well slilghtly..remember the 1.2k crossover means the woofer is handling half the vocals. The insulation JBL uses is crazy thin, I lined it with r13 like the 4pi and many other DIY speakers use.
cdy2179 is online now  
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off