Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post
@MKtheater , @cdy2179 , @pdxrealtor

Since you guys have the 3677, what's your thought on this:
Pro Cinema Speakers, the X-Curve, and other Target Curves at Home

If I wanna remove the X-Curve characteristic, is it as simple as this ?:
1 - remove 3677 internal crossover network
2 - wire up the Crown XLS amp directly to the LF element (woofer) and HF element (compression driver)
3 - set the Crown to bi-amp mode and set a HF crossover frequency. What is the ideal frequency to set?
4 - Listen and enjoy ? Any bad effects?
My Pioneer boosts the HF to its target eq curve which is higher highs than xcurve. Essentially overriding the 3677 xover.

My pioneer also has THX modes, which is basically x-curve with other affects.

If one just wishes to apply some x-curve the Pioneer has an x-curve adjustment (reduces the highs). It can't be used with THX modes as they both do similar things.

After auto EQ, without THX or x-curve applied, just using auto surround on a hd audio bluray the sound is too bright for me at higher listening levels. And thats where I like to listen - higher levels.

Same thing turning off eq, I no longer need the THX or x-curve because the 3677 xover is getting through.

Do some searching on THX mode and you'll see a mix of those who like and use it and those who don't. There is no shortage of guys who prefer the x-curve/THX mode or similar.

Im pretty sure the 3677 has been overhauled since the 70s.

The O. poster of that thread sounds like a Klipsch salesman. Haha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 457 Old 07-31-2014, 04:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxrealtor View Post
Im pretty sure the 3677 has been overhauled since the 70s.
Are you sure about this? The drivers could be the same, but how about the crossover network? Could you please ask the JBL tech team about this?

The 3677 PDF spec sheet at JBL is created on year 2000, modified on 2001, with a huge [PRELIMINARY] at the bottom right corner. Why is it [PRELIMINARY] ? I can't find any spec sheet with [PRELIMINARY] other than this 3677.
The Technical Manual PDF sheet is created and modified on 2012. The frequency response is not stated in the PDF though.
post #453 of 457 Old 07-31-2014, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post
Are you sure about this? The drivers could be the same, but how about the crossover network? Could you please ask the JBL tech team about this?

The 3677 PDF spec sheet at JBL is created on year 2000, modified on 2001, with a huge [PRELIMINARY] at the bottom right corner. Why is it [PRELIMINARY] ? I can't find any spec sheet with [PRELIMINARY] other than this 3677.
The Technical Manual PDF sheet is created and modified on 2012. The frequency response is not stated in the PDF though.

lol - no. That's why I stated 'pretty' sure.

I'm also not sure if my statement about the AVR boosting the highs back up is correct. After thinking about it shouldn't matter how darn high the highs are boosted..... the xover should not allow them through, period.

I am sure my AVR gives most boost to the highs. I am sure that THX mode does cut out the highs.

FS- Netgear 550 .ISO player - PM me
My Gear-Pioneer, JBL Pro Cinema, Fi Car Audio 4- SP4 18", Peavey IPR2 7500 x 4 -Mini-Dsp 4x10, GIK Acoustics, Seymour Screens 110" AT, Dune Smarts, uNraid Server
Theater Build and Two Sono Sub Builds Here-
post #454 of 457 Old 08-01-2014, 11:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by berstuck View Post
http://www.jblpro.com/www/support/contact

All the sales rep's numbers listed and the corporate office number listed. Good luck.
There's no email. Sigh.
post #455 of 457 Old Yesterday, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Your avr can boost the highs, the xcurve applies a curve that begins around 2k and slowly tappers down, UT of course you can boost to flatten the curve. Although as is It actually sounds great and it's not really noticeable. The 3677 had outstanding high end, very energetic and I never noticed anything missing. Music had the most energy and more powerful sound than anything I've heard.
post #456 of 457 Old Today, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdy2179 View Post
Your avr can boost the highs, the xcurve applies a curve that begins around 2k and slowly tappers down, UT of course you can boost to flatten the curve. Although as is It actually sounds great and it's not really noticeable. The 3677 had outstanding high end, very energetic and I never noticed anything missing. Music had the most energy and more powerful sound than anything I've heard.
Will be shifting to my new house with a small 12'x11'x9' room. My screen is already 9 feet wide. I guess I'll ask my local installer on how to install these 3677 above my screen, tilted down.
post #457 of 457 Old Today, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Is there anyway you can put an acoustic screen like Seymour xd in front of them? You could build one for $250 or so. You'd lose a foot of your room but its gonna be a pain trying to mount these above, these beast are big and heavy. And sitting that close the sound above the screen would be very localized.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page