JBL Pro 3677 Have arrived!!! - Page 19 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 36Likes

post #541 of 631 Old 06-17-2016, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked: 720
I have a 13' wide front wall and an 8' ceiling to work with. I have decided against a PJ for various reasons, but can build a false wall to hold the display and the equipment if I want. I have 60' of space behind to work with and can build a rear wall if I want.

Do ya'll feel like I have space for 7 3677's as bed channels with maybe 4 Volts for the Atmos overheads? Or even some lesser in-cielings with a directional tweeter might do the trick because I don't have much vertical space to work with?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 631 Old 06-17-2016, 08:38 AM
JBL Pro Cinema Advocate

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1652 Post(s)
Liked: 1754
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdy2179 View Post
A member here recently reviewed another members setup with modded 4722 (beryllium upgraded CD) and a 3677 center. The reviewer has 3 3677s. He said he didn't think the 4722/3677 setup was any better than his 3677 setup and wouldn't swap to the 4722 even if he had more room (he has the $$). Like I said above ...setup, EQ, and the room acoustics play huge roles in the end result ..as does placebo (which i'm sure was a factor to some degree).. so take that what it's worth.

As for having exact matching speakers... sure that is always a plus. But that's not feasible really when you're talking 7.1.4 atmos. Also these speakers need some room to image. For instance my QSC 2150s were mounted perfect for the rear row but because the speaker is so tall the front row was off axis. That's why I sold it for the 3677, that and I felt the 3677 was just as good. To me it makes more sense to get something like Volt 10lx or similar for Atmos, rears, surrounds and they blend extremely well to my ears.. much better than the JBL cinema surrounds (i've owned 8340a and 8330a) Honestly a system with 11 volts 10lx (7.1.4) would be an awesome system (if one was hung up on matching)...of course without the insane slam of the JBLs.
Not casting doubt, but I will cast doubt Having both the 3677 and 4722 in my room side by side and doing an A/B the 4722 was a better speaker. I switched back and forth and all my family members picked the 4722. Not putting down the 3677 because I owned 5 of them at one time. It is a great performer, but I think the 4722 in stock form is still better. With the upgraded CD, the gap widens significantly. Oh course this is subjective, but outside of @notnyt , I am one of the few who has had them both in their room. Agree 100% that room and setup plays a huge role. I am still a fan of the 3677 just giving my feedback. Me personally, I would rather have all matching of any speaker vs a mismatch. In many instance this isn't possible though, so I get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackkrash View Post
I have a 13' wide front wall and an 8' ceiling to work with. I have decided against a PJ for various reasons, but can build a false wall to hold the display and the equipment if I want. I have 60' of space behind to work with and can build a rear wall if I want.

Do ya'll feel like I have space for 7 3677's as bed channels with maybe 4 Volts for the Atmos overheads? Or even some lesser in-cielings with a directional tweeter might do the trick because I don't have much vertical space to work with?

Yes, you have plenty of room and that setup would sound awesome - knock your socks off awesome!!!! Why not SCS 8 for Atmos.

Last edited by Molon_Labe; 06-17-2016 at 08:45 AM.
post #543 of 631 Old 06-17-2016, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon_Labe View Post
Not casting doubt, but I will cast doubt Having both the 3677 and 4722 in my room side by side and doing an A/B the 4722 was a better speaker. I switched back and forth and all my family members picked the 4722. Not putting down the 3677 because I owned 5 of them at one time. It is a great performer, but I think the 4722 in stock form is still better. With the upgraded CD, the gap widens significantly. Oh course this is subjective, but outside of @notnyt , I am one of the few who has had them both in their room. Agree 100% that room and setup plays a huge role. I am still a fan of the 3677 just giving my feedback. Me personally, I would rather have all matching of any speaker vs a mismatch. In many instance this isn't possible though, so I get it.

Yes, you have plenty of room and that setup would sound awesome - knock your socks off awesome!!!! Why not SCS 8 for Atmos.
SCS8s are on my short list. Is FullCompass still the way to go on these?
post #544 of 631 Old 06-17-2016, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Liked: 361
Quote:

I agree it should be better. But that's what the guy said and yes that's Rob's room he demoed. It's also why I put the statement about setup etc.. and even placebo, and the fact I can't personally say never having owned the 4722. But it was obvious they guy felt 0 urge to swap his 3677 system. I also posted on the previous page of another forum where a few who have heard both and liked the 3677 better, and of course many the other way around. But again.. who knows how fair the comparisons were etc. Either will make for an excellent experience. A blah room will make any speaker sound Blah and EQ can work wonders.

Without EQ the 4722 has an enormous advantage due to it's stellar raw response. However in a properly treated room, good EQ and setup I feel the performance differences between the two may be hard to detect for some.
Molon_Labe likes this.

Last edited by cdy2179; 06-17-2016 at 09:25 AM.
post #545 of 631 Old 06-17-2016, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you can get the 3677s at least 5 or 6 feet behind and to the sides I'd definitely use them as rears and surrounds. I wouldn't sit only a few feet from them though. They cross at 1200hz so you'll have most of the vocals coming from the woofer but the upper vocals and highs will be audibly above the meat of the vocals. That would be very annoying IMO and wouldn't sound similar to the mains which would be imaging the way they should be.

Atmos calls for the rears and surrounds to be placed at or just above (within a foot) of head level. If you placed the spot between the drivers here This would place the center of the woofer in the headrest and the CD a foot above that. The woofer spl would be less than the CD. If you placed the woofer above the seats The woofer is basically in your ear and everything else above it. The SPL from the woofer and CD would be different (on axis to the woofer and off for the CD as it has a good tight 40 degree vertical axis) unless you have enough room between you and the speakers to form an acoustic image.

FWIW my old HT was 14x18 and IMO only the middle seat would have been far enough away to use the 3677 as a surround. These aren't small bookshelves and must be treated differently.

Also keep in mind other than a logo the SC8 will share no more chance of being acoustically similar to the the 4722 or 3677 than anything else. This is why it's so important to at least keep the front 3 exactly the same... same drivers and even same cabinet (identical) when at all possible.

Last edited by cdy2179; 06-17-2016 at 09:44 AM.
post #546 of 631 Old 06-17-2016, 09:23 AM
JBL Pro Cinema Advocate

Quote:
SCS8s are on my short list. Is FullCompass still the way to go on these?
Yes.

Make sure you unbox the 3677 and inspect for damage before signing the bill of lading. They come in flimsy boxes and are heavy. Mine were dropped at some point and 3 of the 5 were damaged. Full Compass stood behind them and that was the reason I went with the 4722 since the 3677s had to be returned. Had they not been damaged, I would be a 3677 owner. It took JBL about three months to come pick up the damaged ones and that is how I was able to A/B them. Had I not bugged them, I probably would have been able to keep them. They just had some chips and bruises on the corners. One had a split cabinet but it could have been bondo-ed and been good to go. Oh well, I was trying to do the right thing.
post #547 of 631 Old 06-17-2016, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

So, what would you guys run as far as 11 speakers if you had my room to work with? Again, I can build a false wall up front and put a wall anywhere I want behind, if need be, I just won't have an AT screen to work with.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1747.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	1502489  
post #548 of 631 Old 06-17-2016, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So, what would you guys run as far as 11 speakers if you had my room to work with? Again, I can build a false wall up front and put a wall anywhere I want behind, if need be, I just won't have an AT screen to work with.
For multiple rows Personally I'd run 3 3677s and 8+ volt 10lx (with volts run in parallel at each row). Now if you could make sure the 4722 could be placed where all rows remain in the sweet spot and money wasn't tight I'd give them a go.

For a single row either would be easy to implement.. money no issue why not go 4722. Even though a few have said they liked the 3677 just as much on paper it's easy to see it has a better response, and a few say they like the 4722 better. Of course with a good room, EQ etc it's possible IMO to have an equally good sounding room.

But then there's the few on the 4722 thread swapping the CD to get rid of a tad of harshness.. no heck I don't know.

So.. ..I guess It's not fair to recommend anything I haven't owned and setup and given a fair chance. So based on what I've owned I'd say QSC 2150 or JBL 3677 for a single row Theater. For multiple rows the 3677 is easier to implement unless the room is quite long.
post #549 of 631 Old 06-17-2016, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 1593 Post(s)
Liked: 1590
Quote:
A member here recently reviewed another members setup with modded 4722 (beryllium upgraded CD) and a 3677 center. The reviewer has 3 3677s. He said he didn't think the 4722/3677 setup was any better than his 3677 setup and wouldn't swap to the 4722 even if he had more room (he has the $$). Like I said above ...setup, EQ, and the room acoustics play huge roles in the end result ..as does placebo (which i'm sure was a factor to some degree).. so take that what it's worth.
That's funny, since he said to me it was better than anything he's heard. It's interesting you post this, especially since you said:

Quote:
I just don't believe much of anything he says
and

Quote:
honestly I think his ability to critique speakers is very skewed by "mine is the best" as he claims the 3677 is as good as everything he hears, of course every speaker he's owned at that time claimed it was the best he's heard even when his room was bare floors and walls.. it was the best.
post #550 of 631 Old 06-17-2016, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
For a single row either would be easy to implement.. money no issue why not go 4722.
They are 50 Inches tall and I don't want the display that high for the center. That's really the big reason.
cdy2179 likes this.
post #551 of 631 Old 06-17-2016, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
They are 50 Inches tall and I don't want the display that high for the center. That's really the big reason.
a/t screen
cdy2179 likes this.
post #552 of 631 Old 06-17-2016, 10:00 AM
JBL Pro Cinema Advocate

Quote:
Lay it on its side and mount the horn in the middle of the drivers.
post #553 of 631 Old 06-17-2016, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt View Post
a/t screen
That would solve a lot of problems, but I have pretty much decided on a display and not a PJ.
post #554 of 631 Old 06-17-2016, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Lay it on its side and mount the horn in the middle of the drivers.
Is this really an option?
post #555 of 631 Old 06-17-2016, 10:04 AM
JBL Pro Cinema Advocate

Quote:
Is this really an option?
Yes. They are not one unit. The center spacing of the middle of the horn to the middle of the drivers will be off slightly than designed, but I don't think you would have any audible issues in your setup.

From the 4722 thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post
@Madmaxz

a couple of ideas for you. side by side woofers create off axis cancellation, but if you only have one or two main seats in the room and they are in front of the center channel, a side by side arrangement could drop the horn down low enough while still allowing for the high sensitivity and output of the dual woofers (and no crossover network changes would be necessary, just new diy cabs). if you keep the port size the same and the cab volume the same, the response and tuning will be the same as the stock 4722 woofer cab.

as for getting the most of the 4722 into a narrower cab, that is going to be a bit more challenging, though not necessarily impossible.

a diy cab (again having the same port area/lengths and total cab volume), but narrower and substituting the small 90x50 1.5" waveguide in place of the big daddy.

good price here:
http://www.cheapjackaudio.com/#!prod...9-eb8a2aa6f821

to create something that kind of looks like an stx825:

but with the lower crossover point on the c.d.
post #556 of 631 Old 06-17-2016, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That would solve a lot of problems, but I have pretty much decided on a display and not a PJ.
That's a shame.. AT screen is where it's at!. May even be cheaper!
Molon_Labe likes this.
post #557 of 631 Old 06-17-2016, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
No offense meant. Yeah he's a major suck A## that will tell you what you want to hear and then turn around and tell others he made it all up. I tore into him pretty good when he told me he left a stellar review because he didn't want to ruffle feathers then said that' s what pro reviewers do. So yes.. I disregard a lot of what he says.. that's why I emphasized placebo. But even still a huge improvement would be easy to detect.

As for the comparison in general. On paper sure it's a no brainier. But i've heard a few other times people preferred the 3677. Doesn't mean it was better but maybe in a better room, better eq etc. Speaker aren't cut and dry.

FWIW he was blown away by the bass.
Rofl, will have to have a chat with him.

I don't know where he's supposedly saying Mark said anything from, since he never even heard the upgraded 4722s.

They're both great speakers, but the 4722, especially after replacing the 2432H, is a significant upgrade over the 3677.
Molon_Labe likes this.
post #558 of 631 Old 06-17-2016, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That's funny, since he said to me it was better than anything he's heard. It's interesting you post this, especially since you said:

and
No offense meant. Yeah He'll tell you what you want to hear and then turn around and tell others he made it all up. I tore into him pretty good when he told me he left a stellar review because he didn't want to ruffle feathers then said that' s what pro reviewers do, many put quite a bit of stock into reviews and honesty. So yes.. I disregard a lot of what he says.. that's why I emphasized placebo. But even still a huge improvement would be easy to detect. Not only that as you know the guy has no problem "upgrading" every month if he even thinks something is better.

As for the comparison in general. On paper sure it's a no brainier. But i've heard a few other times people preferred the 3677. Doesn't mean it was better but maybe in a better room, better eq etc. Speaker aren't cut and dry.

FWIW he was blown away by the bass. Attached is the conversation right after the demo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2016-06-17-11-57-27_resized.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	1502529   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2016-06-17-11-57-15_resized.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	1502537  

Last edited by cdy2179; 06-17-2016 at 10:31 AM.
post #559 of 631 Old 06-17-2016, 10:22 AM
JBL Pro Cinema Advocate

Quote:
That's a shame.. AT screen is where it's at!. May even be cheaper!
Going projector was the best thing I did for my theater. I went from a 92" Mitsu DLP which had an amazing picture to a 120" AT with Sony 55es. I was finally able to get three identical speakers and the same height across the front stage and the large screen took it from a home theater feel to a theater feel. Plus it just looks bad a$$ to walk into a room a see a projection screen, big monster subs, and JB 4722's staring at you. It just says, game on!

@jjackkrash - Check out my build thread and you can see how I built a free-standing frame out of 2x4's. Cheap and very effective.
cdy2179 likes this.
post #560 of 631 Old 06-17-2016, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah... I hated hiding my speakers all behind the screen.. kinda liked that intimidating I'm going kick you in the gut look! But nothing beats an AT screen.
post #561 of 631 Old 06-17-2016, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Damn, you guys suck. I really want a 4k display with HDR that works and in a room that I don't have to worry so much about light control.
post #562 of 631 Old 06-17-2016, 10:38 AM
JBL Pro Cinema Advocate

Quote:
Yeah... I hated hiding my speakers all behind the screen.. kinda liked that intimidating I'm going kick you in the gut look! But nothing beats an AT screen.
I had all three behind the screen, but I prefer the wider sound stage with the L/R outside the screen.
LTD02 likes this.
post #563 of 631 Old 06-17-2016, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Rofl, will have to have a chat with him.

I don't know where he's supposedly saying Mark said anything from, since he never even heard the upgraded 4722s.

They're both great speakers, but the 4722, especially after replacing the 2432H, is a significant upgrade over the 3677.
I was leaving Marks name out of it. But STh thinks real reviewers lie basically so he thinks he's basically at "their" level and being a "pro " reviewer. He wasn't saying Mark had heard any JBLs. He was using that as an excuse for giving a less than honest review after I began telling him what I thought of someone who gives less than honest reviews.
post #564 of 631 Old 06-17-2016, 10:42 AM
JBL Pro Cinema Advocate

Quote:
Damn, you guys suck. I really want a 4k display with HDR that works and in a room that I don't have to worry so much about light control.
Not a lot of 4k content right now. Pick up a Sony 45es and rock it for three years until 4k projectors drop in price. You can get an HDFruy and have UHD player and receiver for the immersive audio and output it to a 1080p projector. Building it right the first time will pay off in the end. Projector and perfectly matched front three is where it is at brother.
MKtheater likes this.
post #565 of 631 Old 06-17-2016, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I was leaving Marks name out of it. But STh thinks real reviewers lie basically so he thinks he's basically at "their" level and being a "pro " reviewer. He wasn't saying Mark had heard any JBLs. He was using that as an excuse for giving a less than honest review after I began telling him what I thought of someone who gives less than honest reviews.
Rofl, I feel like this is my fault for explaining to him how the audiophile industry works, where reviewers get gear review samples, get advertising monies, etc, and bad reviews end up damaging that relationship which lead to no more review samples or advertising revenue. Apparently some part of that was lost along the way.
LTD02 likes this.
post #566 of 631 Old 06-17-2016, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah the immersion from a huge screen is much more fun that a 4k small screen. Properly place speakers shouldn't be underrated. You're buying serious speakers.. don't make compromised on the video and acoustic performance. That's what leads to constant upgrades in the future. I'd also recommend the Sony 55es and upgrade to 4k in a few years. A seymour XD screen can be made cheap.. I did a 165" for around $315 total. My baffle wall was maybe $150. Of course now I wonder how a cheaper wall like Molon did with 18" of fluffy would do.
Molon_Labe likes this.

Last edited by cdy2179; 06-17-2016 at 10:55 AM.
post #567 of 631 Old 06-17-2016, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Rofl, I feel like this is my fault for explaining to him how the audiophile industry works, where reviewers get gear review samples, get advertising monies, etc, and bad reviews end up damaging that relationship which lead to no more review samples or advertising revenue. Apparently some part of that was lost along the way.
Well there ya go.. you're his DIY assembly guy
post #568 of 631 Old 06-17-2016, 10:58 AM
JBL Pro Cinema Advocate

Quote:
Yeah the immersion from a huge screen is much more fun that a 4k small screen. Properly place speakers shouldn't be underrated. You're buying serious speakers.. don't make compromised on the video and acoustic performance. That's what leads to constant upgrades in the future. I'd also recommend the Sony 55es and upgrade to 4k in a few years. A seymour XD screen can be made cheap.. I did a 165" for around $315 total. My baffle was was maybe $150. Of course now I wonder how a cheaper wall like Molon did with 18" of fluffy would do.
I did an Elite screen. Had slight moire effect so I contacted Elite support. The upgraded me to the dealer only 4k screen as a replacement. Great company and couldn't be happier for a fraction of what other products go for.
cdy2179 likes this.
post #569 of 631 Old 06-17-2016, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well there ya go.. you're his DIY assembly guy
I gave him a bit of shi...crap about this all. Just gotta take what is said with large grain of salt, and we knew this, which was why I was surprised to see you posting that lol.

Quote:
sth:Bro also to be honest I didn't want to say to you that it's hard for me to tell the differences
sth:But overall u know your **** is out of this world, everything I said in my review
sth:Is true
sthon't have to take change
sth:Anything I said in my review
sth:But the only thing I didn't say to you was that is hard to compare
sth:That's all
sth:I guess he didn't understand me
sth:He didn't understand what I was trying to say
sth:But the review I wrote is the true
sth:Even now more
sth:Cuz
sth:Last demo I had in ur house with Michelle I noticed something different
sth:From ur mains
sth:And I didn't know how to explain to that guy
sth:The differences
sth:That's all
post #570 of 631 Old 06-17-2016, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I gave him a bit of shi...crap about this all. Just gotta take what is said with large grain of salt, and we knew this, which was why I was surprised to see you posting that lol.
Yeah.. after rereading what he wrote it's easy to see how he could easily be taken wrong....Yeah mountain of salt.

The only reason I posted is it's the only person I know personally who has heard both and didn't find much if any difference and felt it's relevant info. But it is possible he's hard of hearing and doesn't know it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page