AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadci View Post

Looks like this model is discontinued now \\. Booooo

No it's not discontinued...JBL finished building mine last week and Full compass still sells them currently. If you saw that at Performance Audio (I think that's the place) I don't know why there site says disontinued, it's said that a few months ago before I ordered mine....it's definately not true.

Not only that I had to get on a waiting list to get mine. It took over a month to get them as the batch they had in August was sold out and when I did get on it the list was almost full..meaning I would have had to wait even longer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 425 Old 10-01-2010, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Cool, thanks for the info!
post #33 of 425 Old 10-01-2010, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Still no pics?

post #34 of 425 Old 10-01-2010, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 83
cdy2179.

Congrats on a great purchase! No doubt you're reveling in the JBL Professional sound.

I've seen "there's no going back" written a few times here, and that's arguably true. You would be stepping back by going to most consumer speakers after these true Pro units. You must have discoverd a whole new level of cinematic bliss.

As an owner of tons of JBL gear, I'm just going to add for future reference, my own take on this: "There's no going back, but there's always going forward."

Enjoy!!

What I can afford, when I can afford it...
post #35 of 425 Old 10-03-2010, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psgcdn View Post

Still no pics?

I probably won't take pics until the speakers are installed into the corner columns and then I have to build a new enclosure for the center and mount it into my wall behind the screen. It'll take me a little while to get it all done.

Below is a link to an old thread of mine....page 3 or 4 has pics of my room..for now I have a 3677 in each corner sitting on some really strong plastic boxes to pic them up some..the center is tilted up but blocking a little of the screen.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1193594
post #36 of 425 Old 10-04-2010, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Any more updates? How are they sounding now that they have some break-in time, still better than the Rockets?
post #37 of 425 Old 10-04-2010, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridapoolboy View Post

Any more updates? How are they sounding now that they have some break-in time, still better than the Rockets?

They dynamics are unbelievable. Origainally I planned on buying the parts and building these, but it was cheaper to buy the whole speaker. So I went in knowing I was going to gut these and build three new enclosures and knowing I could play around with horns and drivers if I needed too...all without touching the Xover as it just so happens the sensitivity of all the drivers I may use are within .5db.

I've actually contacted Wayne at pi speakers because these are very similar to the popular 4pi speakers which use the JBL 2226 and a B&C CD. I'm hearing very slight harshness, it's hard to hear and not all content exposes it... Wayne says it's the horn. He said the 2416h-1 CD is very smooth but he's used the horn I have before and found it to be "spitty" and a little harsh.

Which is really cool...even if I swap out horns...I'll just sell the JBL horns. And if I want more top end the B&C DE250 CD is what Wayne likes...he said he used to use the JBL 2426 (popluar in some of the JBL cinema screen arrays) but he finds the B&C is cheaper, just as smooth with a better top end.

If I go the B&C route I may make some $$$ as the JBL is a very pricey driver even in the used market.

So anyway...they sound great as is but I want to tweak a little. As for vocals and the woofer....it's perfectly awesome.

We had a b-day party this weekend for my 10year old daughter. I opened the sun room doors which is attatched to the theater room and let'em crank as we spent the day outside...they sounded great...like I'd hired a DJ.

So anyway, I may end up with a JBL/4 pi hybrid.
post #38 of 425 Old 10-05-2010, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member

cdy: Given you want to upgrade them to get them to sound how you prefer (little less harsh) would you still re-buy these or go for a diff model pro jbl speaker?

You really have me wanting to upgrade from my rockets now
post #39 of 425 Old 10-05-2010, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Bang for the buck seems incredible here. Are there any other pro speakers around this price that are worth seeking out that you haven't tried yet?
post #40 of 425 Old 10-06-2010, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmalto View Post

cdy: Given you want to upgrade them to get them to sound how you prefer (little less harsh) would you still re-buy these or go for a diff model pro jbl speaker?

You really have me wanting to upgrade from my rockets now

Absolutely. I'm tired of trying consumer...for an all out HT they just don't cut it. The dynamics I now have are a huge step above consumer. I went in knowing I could swap the top end around if I wanted to...and having a DIY background I enjoy it.

Why would I buy these again...well If I wanted an all in one Kit I would have bought the 4pi from Wayne at Pi speakers, it uses the same JBL 15 used in theaters... but I would have spent about $700 each and still would have to build cabinets... but that really is a good deal.

Buying the 3677 was $569 each..complete speaker. I have the $350 JBL 15" woofer the $250 tweeter, a pricey horn and a good xover. I was hoping to not have to do anything of course. But the JBL parts are so sought after if I change a horn or even a CD I can sell the JBL parts on Ebay pay off what I replaced them with and maybe even make some extra.

I've ordered two different horns from Parts Express to try out (one of them is used on the 4pi). I'll see how it goes.
post #41 of 425 Old 10-06-2010, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyee View Post

Bang for the buck seems incredible here. Are there any other pro speakers around this price that are worth seeking out that you haven't tried yet?

I'm kinda new to the Pro stuff, only been trying them out for about a year, I've only tried JBL 8340a, Pro10 and the JBL3677.

These are the bang for your buck speaker in JBL cinema Pro line...in this price range I doubt you'll find this quality. From here expect to pay close or over 1k each (new) for JBLs next up the line cinema stuff. They primarily use the same woofer I have or the 2226. The biggest differences are the horns which get larger and larger and also a about 2k you can also get into 3-ways.

For rooms like we have I didn't see any point in going insanely huge. The bigger ones also have dual 15s but that only gives you 2dbs of gain (unless you bi amp) which is irrelevant to me because I'm not even close to the limits of having one 15 which is giving my a 99db sensitive speaker.

Also I've owned the Pro-10 and it's a super musical speaker..had it had a good 12" or 15" driver and had a little better slam it would have been even better. It has a small horn but imaged like crazy...the only thing I found wrong with horn and CD was it kinda got fatiguing and broke up with lots of action during movies. Now after talking with some speaker designers who've tryed the Pro10s CD driver I know why...on paper it's top end breaks up and distorts a little. Other than that the very small horn sounded HUGE.
post #42 of 425 Old 10-06-2010, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Man, you guys get me in a lot of trouble..everytime I buy something new, I run into a discussion like this and want to buy more. I don't post a whole lot because I am pretty new to HT still and would never want to give elementary advice that may cause someone to spend cash based on worng info by me. I read tons and have learned a lot here.

Cdy, how big is your room?? I have a 19x28x8 dedicated room. My big holdback is that I have not had the opportunity to hear much as far as pro, or brands specific to online. I have had the local "high-end" shop experiance with b&w, paradigm, triad, etc. I like how a lot of these sound, but none have had the real impact I am looking for. I have considered Seaton, JTR and now am reading about these JBL offerings. I would be very interested to hear your take, as your opinons in all threads I have read seem to be very honest with no bias. Thanks in advance, and congrats on a new setup that you enjoy that much.
post #43 of 425 Old 10-06-2010, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

chopshop, you really need to get yourself in front of some pro speakers! It will be eye...errrr....ear opening! I've got about the same sized room you have and tried several consumer options. None came close to providing the slam of theater. Maybe you live near someone on the forum that uses pro speakers and are willing to give a demo?

The "Twinseltown" Theater
Construction Thread
post #44 of 425 Old 10-06-2010, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Tony.. I have had some offers to travel a few hours away and hear Seaton and JTR stuff, but my worke schedule just hasnt' allowed it yet. I rally do want to try some new things out. I ended up buying B&W CT7s a while back and while they sounded nice, there was no impact...unloaded them (building of room is in progress with the house construction) in hopes off finding something that would knock my socks off.

I got the chance to hear a Klipsch THX ultra setup, thought it wouldbe great, and I ened up liking it least of anything I have ever heard. It was like in order to get the impact, it had to be shrill and unenjoyable. This is what made me hesitant about pro stuff, assuming that it would be like this....we all know what happens when you assume...
post #45 of 425 Old 10-06-2010, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 View Post

chopshop, you really need to get yourself in front of some pro speakers! It will be eye...errrr....ear opening! I've got about the same sized room you have and tried several consumer options. None came close to providing the slam of theater. Maybe you live near someone on the forum that uses pro speakers and are willing to give a demo?

What do you think Tony, 3 of these JBL's in my sized room? LOL.
post #46 of 425 Old 10-06-2010, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopShop1 View Post

Man, you guys get me in a lot of trouble..everytime I buy something new, I run into a discussion like this and want to buy more. I don't post a whole lot because I am pretty new to HT still and would never want to give elementary advice that may cause someone to spend cash based on worng info by me. I read tons and have learned a lot here.

Cdy, how big is your room?? I have a 19x28x8 dedicated room. My big holdback is that I have not had the opportunity to hear much as far as pro, or brands specific to online. I have had the local "high-end" shop experiance with b&w, paradigm, triad, etc. I like how a lot of these sound, but none have had the real impact I am looking for. I have considered Seaton, JTR and now am reading about these JBL offerings. I would be very interested to hear your take, as your opinons in all threads I have read seem to be very honest with no bias. Thanks in advance, and congrats on a new setup that you enjoy that much.

Yea..I hear ya..I want to finally be DONE with my theater room. Mine is 18 deep 14 wide 8.5 high. I built my house about 3.5 years ago and the dedicated HT was a must. YOur room is HUGE. You definately need some really effecient speakers to fill it.

If swapping out the horn does what I think it will these will be a home run. Check out this site
http://www.pispeakers.com/contents.html

They are well known in the DIY realm as they sell kits. The most popular speaker is the 4pi...15" JBL with a CD this is very respected high end speaker. I ordered the same horn it uses to test on my CD. The 3677 is very similar to this speaker.

FWIW I also own a Paradigm Focus setup and also Rocket RS850s running in my living room...I'm very familiar with what you find lacking...the JBLs dynamics are in another Universe. I'm running a 60hz Xover because the are so damn impressive that low...I'd love to go to 40hz but my surrounds wouldn't like it..I can't individually set xovers for each speaker on my AVR.

Keep in mind I don't listen at reference levels...close but not quite. I usually set it to where it feels natural to me. I will warn you..these are not for people with heart conditions...gunshots, door knocks...or the parts in scarry movies that are meant to startle you will scare the crap out of you...scenes like these are where the dynamics really amaze.
post #47 of 425 Old 10-06-2010, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

I appreciate the replys. The startling effect is really part of what I am after, I just don't want to use speakers that fatigue me easily to get that.

I thought I read that you were going to keep the 3677 and just replace the cd, maybe I misread??? Also interested in thoughts on the 3622n and how people think either of these stack up against product like JTR and Seaton.
post #48 of 425 Old 10-06-2010, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I appreciate the replys. The startling effect is really part of what I am after, I just don't want to use speakers that fatigue me easily to get that.

I thought I read that you were going to keep the 3677 and just replace the cd, maybe I misread??? Also interested in thoughts on the 3622n and how people think either of these stack up against product like JTR and Seaton.

I may have said that. At first I didn't know what was causing it. Wayne, the owner of Pi speakers said it's the horn. I find the Klipsch RF series to be very fatiguing (owned the RF82s for a few weeks) as does my wife. We don't like fatiguing either.

As for the 3622n MK theater was the first I know of to go with these....he said they were a step above the JTR t8. I almost bought 3 4622n's in August, but they were used and shipping was $600. They were only 2db more sensitive (had two 15"s) the big difference in our rooms will be the horn which allows it to crossover at around 800hz I think. Although the 3622 (also huge horn) crossed over at 1.3k....not sure why.
post #49 of 425 Old 10-06-2010, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdy2179 View Post

I may have said that. At first I didn't know what was causing it. Wayne, the owner of Pi speakers said it's the horn. I find the Klipsch RF series to be very fatiguing (owned the RF82s for a few weeks) as does my wife. We don't like fatiguing either.

As for the 3622n MK theater was the first I know of to go with these....he said they were a step above the JTR t8. I almost bought 3 4622n's in August, but they were used and shipping was $600. They were only 2db more sensitive (had two 15"s) the big difference in our rooms will be the horn which allows it to crossover at around 800hz I think. Although the 3622 (also huge horn) crossed over at 1.3k....not sure why.

That is pretty encouraging, thanks for your thoughts. Would it be safe to say that if one started with 3x3622n you could simply swap the cd and achieve the result you are looking for?? Please pardon my ignorance, this is very new territory for me.
post #50 of 425 Old 10-06-2010, 11:30 AM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmalto View Post

What do you think Tony, 3 of these JBL's in my sized room? LOL.

Hey... I've got three JBL 4648's about to replace my front left, center, and right speakers and my room is TINY. Pretty much 22x10x9 or about 2,000cuft. These are the same type and amount of speakers for the front end of a 500 seat movie theater.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #51 of 425 Old 10-06-2010, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Hey... I've got three JBL 4648's about to replace my front left, center, and right speakers and my room is TINY. Pretty much 22x10x9 or about 2,000cuft. These are the same type and amount of speakers for the front end of a 500 seat movie theater.

The 4648 is the low freq. section used in the 4622.. it has 2 15" 2035hpl drivers...the same driver in the 3677. It's pretty much the bottom half of the 4622 I almost bought...Wager just bought 3 of them.

What are using for the horn assembly?
post #52 of 425 Old 10-06-2010, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That is pretty encouraging, thanks for your thoughts. Would it be safe to say that if one started with 3x3622n you could simply swap the cd and achieve the result you are looking for?? Please pardon my ignorance, this is very new territory for me.

From what I understand by speaking with Wayne at Pi Audio..the JBL CD in these speakers are all good quality very smooth drivers. If it sounds harsh it'll probably be the horn you'll want to swap out first... as he's positive that's what's causing it in my case. He used to use JBL 2426 as his "high end" option in his speakers...he said it's almost identical to the 2416 I have.

Because of this I don't know if I'd go for the 3622, I don't think you'd gain a whole lot if any from the extra 15" driver (2dbs sens.)..and if you're gonna change the horn I don't see any reason to spend the extra $$. Of course the 3622 is discontinued..the newer screen arrays crossover around 750-800hz so that actually could be a plus.
post #53 of 425 Old 10-06-2010, 11:59 AM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 620
Quote:

The 4648 is the low freq. section used in the 4622.. it has 2 15" 2035hpl drivers...the same driver in the 3677. It's pretty much the bottom half of the 4622 I almost bought...Wager just bought 3 of them.

What are using for the horn assembly?

Each one of my 4648's has two JBL 2226 15's in them. Really nice gear.

I have a trio of JBL 2445's and will use those with some JBL 2380a horn's for the HF section and will cross everything active with a Behringer DCX2496.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #54 of 425 Old 10-06-2010, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Each one of my 4648's has two JBL 2226 15's in them. Really nice gear.

I have a trio of JBL 2445's and will use those with some JBL 2380a horn's for the HF section and will cross everything active with a Behringer DCX2496.

Cool... you're basically building a 4670 with a slightly different CD. That should be a great setup.
post #55 of 425 Old 10-06-2010, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

chopshop, I have almost exactly the same sized room as you. I've tried several consumer options and the Klipsch Ultra2 were the best I found going that route. I loved the tone. They just ran out of steam before I got to the levels I was after. I'm now using three LaScala across the front and they are much more capable in my sized space. I understand they may not be the right tone for everyone, and no speaker is. Whatever your choice in manufacturer, I can't stress enough how much efficiency and SPL capability is necessary for your sized space. It is quite difficult to fill 5000cf with reference volume.

cdy, it's actually funny when people visit, and I'm sure you'll experience the same. The dynamics actually cause guests to jump out of their chairs! Particularly, gunshots or crashes that happen unexpectedly. The crash scene in "Knowing" had them telling me to pause it because they needed to gather themselves.

The "Twinseltown" Theater
Construction Thread
post #56 of 425 Old 10-06-2010, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 View Post

The crash scene in "Knowing" had them telling me to pause it because they needed to gather themselves.

I need to get that movie!
post #57 of 425 Old 10-06-2010, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

From what I understand by speaking with Wayne at Pi Audio..the JBL CD in these speakers are all good quality very smooth drivers. If it sounds harsh it'll probably be the horn you'll want to swap out first... as he's positive that's what's causing it in my case. He used to use JBL 2426 as his "high end" option in his speakers...he said it's almost identical to the 2416 I have.

Because of this I don't know if I'd go for the 3622, I don't think you'd gain a whole lot if any from the extra 15" driver (2dbs sens.)..and if you're gonna change the horn I don't see any reason to spend the extra $$. Of course the 3622 is discontinued..the newer screen arrays crossover around 750-800hz so that actually could be a plus.

Sorry, I got a little lost in that...so the 3622n is no longer available?? how about the 4622???

In the case of the horn issue, what would you recommend, if not purchasing the speaker because of this?
post #58 of 425 Old 10-06-2010, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry, I got a little lost in that...so the 3622n is no longer available?? how about the 4622???

In the case of the horn issue, what would you recommend, if not purchasing the speaker because of this?

This is what's current in the 2-way screen array.
http://www.jblpro.com/catalog/genera...x?FId=30&MID=1

As far as what to use...if you're buying new I wouldn't put my money into those because they are more than you'll use. The 3677 has 1 woofer and I'm barely giving it a workout....having two would only give me a 2db increase and I wouldn't notice any difference...the 3677 is good for up to 200 seats.

Also Wrager just bought 4622n's and he's not quite satisfied with the horn....but the good thing is these are easy to experiment with and swap.

The only real benifit I see is the lower Xover point in the 4622 and current screen arrays. The crossover is at ~750hz...vocals average 1k, so the plus is the horn carries more of the vocals. However if the crossover is well made and the horn is nice and smooth a higher crossover like the 3677 has at 1.2k shouldn't be noticable.

I really can't tell you what to get...I'm not sure exactly what I'll end up with as far as the horn goes. If you wanted a fool proof aproach you could buy a 4pi kit...the CD is the same one Geddes uses and what I'll try if I change the CD (B&C DE250).
post #59 of 425 Old 10-06-2010, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok, Thanks. That makes sense now(sorry, I got lost trying to folow everything). It is really between trying out something like this and the JTR T12's. Do the kits from pi come with everything needed, or do you need to build an enclosure, xover, etc???
post #60 of 425 Old 10-06-2010, 02:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Another member is trying out the 3731's(kind of like them) and he owned 888's and triple12's.

As I moved up in the pro cinema line I gained soundstage and a better musical performance. The 3731 and my present speaker sounds much better on music than the 3622N. I thought the triple 8 sound better for certain types of music compared to the 3622N but liked the jbl better for movies. I like the 3731 and my present JBL better than the 3622N and triple 8 for both music and movies.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page