JBL Pro 3677 Have arrived!!! - Page 24 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 53Likes

Old 10-06-2016, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2451 Post(s)
Liked: 2233
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie2075 View Post
I never heard the 3677 or any JBL pro speakers at least that I knew I was listening to it. But I heard some high end speakers when I went to axpona one year. MBL LEGACY MAGICO B&W
And one or two more. I agree that the room had a huge huge part in it. When I used to live in Brooklyn my room was treated fairly well compared to my room now. And the speakers I had in there were bookshelf speakers from Truaudio that I got for free when I use to install home theaters and I also had my ED cinema 12s in there and sho-10s. And it was night and day. but I can't see spending 200,000$ on a pair of speakers. I would be perfectly happy buying the big boy speakers from klipsch pro or JBL pro and subs and treating the room like crazy!
And I bet it still will be cheaper. And sound as good if not better.
if you want a demo im not that far
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2016, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 1259 Post(s)
Liked: 1269
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie2075 View Post
Awesome. Shoot I really would have bought them from you if I could pick them up. What a shame!
Good excuse for a road trip. Fly to San antonio, rent a mini Van and drive back to NY..... wow that would likely be expensive and suck.

Old 10-07-2016, 05:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCgrad View Post
Good excuse for a road trip. Fly to San antonio, rent a mini Van and drive back to NY..... wow that would likely be expensive and suck.
Yes indeed!

Old 10-07-2016, 05:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdy2179 View Post
If you've read thru this thread you know about the insulation mod. There's also a crossover mod to remove the xcurve also linked to in this thread. But honestly you're thinking way to far into it. If it needed mods to sound this good who would want it? Driver swaps require crossover changes and it becomes a DIY speaker. Besides I seriously doubt you'll find much better than the 2035hpl.. the 2226 maybe but I doubt you'd notice any difference as it just handles more power and has a beefed up motor yet the 2035 is a tad more sensitive and cost a tad more thru JBL parts. If you want a DIY project get a Fusion 15 etc.

The 3677 is a set it up and enjoy speaker.
Tottaly missed this post. Sorry. Yea your right. Just have to get something before NYE. so I have music to blast for the party. And show off my system
Old 10-07-2016, 06:23 AM
It is what it is

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 2073 Post(s)
Liked: 2156
Quote:
How can getting to hang out with me suck? That is worth the trip alone
Old 10-07-2016, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon_Labe View Post
How can getting to hang out with me suck? That is worth the trip alone

I drove from Newport, RI to Austin, TX once (non-stop except for fuel). It was pure hell.

Old 10-31-2016, 12:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Very positive review of the 3677 JBL theater speakers:

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2016/...-my-doors-off/
cdy2179 likes this.

Old 04-06-2017, 10:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 26
3677 for surrounds?

Quote:
I can give some comparisons there but I will start off saying the Pro-10 is a very nice speaker. The 3677 destroys it in mid bass dynamics.. like beats it with a sledge hammer. Vocals are great on both. 3677 is cleaner on the top end as the CD in the Sho/Pro 10 is known to have distortion up high and could be heard when pushed. Both image great but the 3677 is smoother and completely non fatiguing.
I just found your posts on the 3677's. I have home built "L-300" JBL 3 ways as my front three speakers. I still have a couple of Klipsch Reference 62-II sides as surrounds at the ceiling and 4 Klipsch 6 1/2 inch in ceiling as atmos. The Klipsch may be ok but I am awaiting a pair of 3677's to replace them at the sides, but closer to ear level. I had gotten a Klipsch 64 II as a center as it bragged excellent dialogue. Ha! Not compared with JBL lL-300's so I bought a slightly smaller JBL woofer and another pr of JBL LE85 drivers with horns like the ones in the L-300 for a front center. Now it is time to swap out the sides! Room is 13.5 wide, 28 ft long and 8 ft ceilings but has a 6 ft wide archway into another large room (behind the seating though). Still sort of adds volume to the room for the theater sound. I was looking at either the 8340's or 3677's for the side surround but figured the 3677's should add more impact. I cross over almost everything at 60 or 80 to a pr of SVS 16 ultra sealed subs.
I do have a spare pair of LE-85 compression drivers but only some monster horns (JBL 2345's) on hand for them (20" long that way though making them not a good option for sides). Any thoughts on the 3677's as side surrounds or a use for the spare LE85 drivers. I already have my stereo speakers (home built 4343's) I can tie in for my rear surrounds.

I already upgraded my screen and projector to a Sony 4K projector and "fine grained" motorized screen for 4K support. Also have corner Bass traps and a few wall traps to get the room smoother, so I am just back again looking to see what other upgrades I might do.

Bill Shenefelt
http://sheneskillies.com
william.shenefelt@verizon.net
Old 04-07-2017, 04:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Shenefelt View Post
I just found your posts on the 3677's. I have home built "L-300" JBL 3 ways as my front three speakers. I still have a couple of Klipsch Reference 62-II sides as surrounds at the ceiling and 4 Klipsch 6 1/2 inch in ceiling as atmos. The Klipsch may be ok but I am awaiting a pair of 3677's to replace them at the sides, but closer to ear level. I had gotten a Klipsch 64 II as a center as it bragged excellent dialogue. Ha! Not compared with JBL lL-300's so I bought a slightly smaller JBL woofer and another pr of JBL LE85 drivers with horns like the ones in the L-300 for a front center. Now it is time to swap out the sides! Room is 13.5 wide, 28 ft long and 8 ft ceilings but has a 6 ft wide archway into another large room (behind the seating though). Still sort of adds volume to the room for the theater sound. I was looking at either the 8340's or
3677's for the side surround but figured the 3677's should add more impact. I cross over almost everything at 60 or 80 to a pr of SVS 16 ultra sealed subs.
I do have a spare pair of LE-85 compression drivers but only some monster horns (JBL 2345's) on hand for them (20" long that way though making them not a good option for sides). Any thoughts on the 3677's as side surrounds or a use for the spare LE85 drivers. I already have my stereo speakers (home built 4343's) I can tie in for my rear surrounds.

I already upgraded my screen and projector to a Sony 4K projector and "fine grained" motorized screen for 4K support. Also have corner Bass traps and a few wall traps to get the room smoother, so I am just back again looking to see what other upgrades I might do.
I almost went with 6 or 7 3677s but then I came to my senses..haha. But really It would make for an awesome setup.

That being said what you don't want is a Frankenstein system full of different speakers. You want the best performance you can get. That means an AT screen if possible and all speakers identical. A name badge doesn't make them sound the same. You need identical drivers and even still for it to be an exact match acoustically you really need an exact matching speaker.

If budget allows I'd demo the 3677 and If you love them replace everything with them. If that's not feasible at least get all surrounds and rears to match. Something like the volt 10lx would kill the RF62 which i've also owned. And yeah the 3677 will destroy it so so bad.

Keep in mind you want sensitivity but also you need to move enough air above the crossover to keep up with good subs. So 10" drivers are capable above 80hz of some impressive midbass. so for surround duty I'd look into Volts and 3677. Yes the 3677 has more impactful mid and upper bass but as surrounds and rears it's not a big issue. Honestly I hate to see a speaker like the 3677 stuck running surrounds only... kinda makes me sad..

Now as a DIYer (not a Just a kit builder) I get the pride in designing, measuring and tweaking your own speakers, subs, I've even built DIY projectors so I understand the ones you built may never be replaced..

Another good thing about volts is that if you want Atmos.. just get some more and slap them in the ceiling with no enclosure. Set an 80hz crossover and rock on! Perfect speaker for such placement.

Last edited by cdy2179; 04-07-2017 at 04:48 AM.
Old 04-07-2017, 04:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Very positive review of the 3677 JBL theater speakers:

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2016/...-my-doors-off/
Not sure how I missed that.. good little read. That guy also runs a forum and the 3677 are really getting popular.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:25 PM

Have you ever heard JBL L-300's (4333 pro model number)? The only speakers I ever heard that blew them away for me, primarily with imaging, was a 6 ft pair of Apogee ribbons running on a fortune of electronics at a dealers. You could actually walk around them on the stage that held them and point to positions of instruments from the record. I am sure their locations were a large part of the sound though. I am anxious to hear if the 3677's can compete with my L-300's for front positions. If they blow away the 300's that would mean I need 5 more of them and a new room for my stereo! With 3 of the L-300s in the front positions and my unmovable 4343's at the rear as my music speakers those 5 match each other pretty well. All use the same compression driver and horn lens combination and 136A woofer but the 4343's have a 10 inch cone lower midrange between the LE85 compression driver and the 136A 15 inch bass. These were all JBL 1970-1990 vintage speakers and have similar sound characteristics. None however would fit well at the sides of the room. If I do fall in love with the 3677s though I could do three of them for the front and the two I am buying for the sides and give my daughter the L-300s. I am pretty sure she will have them and the house in 5 to 15 years anyway.

My ears are not good at 9000 or above so I need great dialogue for a front center and the speaker I have there really provides that. Maybe the 3677 will also (I hope). Even if I put 3 of them in front, they would still be in front of the screen. The screen drops just in front of the led tv. I have the subs behind the screen in parallel with the tv stand (and the center L-300 under it). The left and right front speakers are in front of the screen, slightly toed in. The front left and right are on an older Audire amplifier and the center is on the AVR with the other speakers. I may wire the 4343's as rear surrounds and just tie that set of AVR preamp outs to the stereo there. For other than movies, it is not really worth using the rears since they are biamped on an Amber and a 250 w/ch Heathkit and would just give me more things to turn on to use them. (preamp, crossover and two amplifiers.) I would probably need to wire to the preamp not to the active crossover. I am still a little leery of establishing some unwanted ground loops with the two systems tied together. I had tried to use another big Heathkit amp there as a subwoofer amp before I bought subs for the theater audio and until I jumped out the round safety pin grounding on the ac plug on the big amp I had the humm from hell. Once I get the 3677s week after next I will have a lot of toys to experiment with.

Bill Shenefelt
william.shenefelt@verizon.net
Old 04-13-2017, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Shenefelt View Post
Have you ever heard JBL L-300's (4333 pro model number)? The only speakers I ever heard that blew them away for me, primarily with imaging, was a 6 ft pair of Apogee ribbons running on a fortune of electronics at a dealers. You could actually walk around them on the stage that held them and point to positions of instruments from the record. I am sure their locations were a large part of the sound though. I am anxious to hear if the 3677's can compete with my L-300's for front positions. If they blow away the 300's that would mean I need 5 more of them and a new room for my stereo! With 3 of the L-300s in the front positions and my unmovable 4343's at the rear as my music speakers those 5 match each other pretty well. All use the same compression driver and horn lens combination and 136A woofer but the 4343's have a 10 inch cone lower midrange between the LE85 compression driver and the 136A 15 inch bass. These were all JBL 1970-1990 vintage speakers and have similar sound characteristics. None however would fit well at the sides of the room. If I do fall in love with the 3677s though I could do three of them for the front and the two I am buying for the sides and give my daughter the L-300s. I am pretty sure she will have them and the house in 5 to 15 years anyway.

My ears are not good at 9000 or above so I need great dialogue for a front center and the speaker I have there really provides that. Maybe the 3677 will also (I hope). Even if I put 3 of them in front, they would still be in front of the screen. The screen drops just in front of the led tv. I have the subs behind the screen in parallel with the tv stand (and the center L-300 under it). The left and right front speakers are in front of the screen, slightly toed in. The front left and right are on an older Audire amplifier and the center is on the AVR with the other speakers. I may wire the 4343's as rear surrounds and just tie that set of AVR preamp outs to the stereo there. For other than movies, it is not really worth using the rears since they are biamped on an Amber and a 250 w/ch Heathkit and would just give me more things to turn on to use them. (preamp, crossover and two amplifiers.) I would probably need to wire to the preamp not to the active crossover. I am still a little leery of establishing some unwanted ground loops with the two systems tied together. I had tried to use another big Heathkit amp there as a subwoofer amp before I bought subs for the theater audio and until I jumped out the round safety pin grounding on the ac plug on the big amp I had the humm from hell. Once I get the 3677s week after next I will have a lot of toys to experiment with.
Curious to know what you think of the 3677. Report back, just remember they need quite a while to break in.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Curious to know what you think of the 3677. Report back, just remember they need quite a while to break in.
lol wut, run a 20hz sine wave for an hour or two at the appropriate level and you're done.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt View Post
lol wut, run a 20hz sine wave for an hour or two at the appropriate level and you're done.
I had mine cranked for several days all day long. The woofer broke in quick but the CD continued to change over the course of days. I also have an installer buddy who has noticed the same. He wont even calibrate for a few weeks.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I had mine cranked for several days all day long. The woofer broke in quick but the CD continued to change over the course of days.
no, it didn't
Old 04-13-2017, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Maybe my ears are broken but they got smoother and smoother. That's my story, not asking you to agree. You can see the progression at the beginning of this thread.. I posted what I heard..nothing more and nothing less.

Last edited by cdy2179; 04-13-2017 at 12:56 PM.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

There really isn't break in for compression drivers. In fact, most CDs will worsen over time due to work hardening of the diaphragm surround. Most of the 'break in' is people adapting to the new sound. That said, break in of woofers is real as the suspension materials loosen up and fs generally drops by a few hz as cms increases.

Playing CDs at the levels in homes will generally not be a problem, but it's a good reason to stay away from used CDs that have been in a PA system.

https://materion.com/~/media/Files/P...PAPERFINAL.pdf

Last edited by notnyt; 04-13-2017 at 01:39 PM.
Old Today, 05:08 AM

3677 surround substitute

Quote:
I think they must be popular since after a month of waiting, I learned it would be over another month due to back-orders.
I gave up, cancelled the order and bought two new 12 inch JBL 2206 cone speakers to use with a pair of "3677ish" shaped horns on LE85 CD's and am now building a pair of 4 cu ft enclosures similar to the ones used in the 3677 but with horns external to slightly increase box volume and allow angle placement of the horns if they work better that way near ear level where I am going to put the enclosures. I also have JBL 2345 enormous horns that are also 800 cps horns I can try on the the LE 85's but only if external to the boxes. I do know that the driver pairs I am going to use are top of the line JBL's but just do not know if they have similar dynamics for theater effect type use. The 2206's are rated for 95 dB efficiency and can take 600 watt continuous if needed. I may want to add another amp to use in lieu of the internal amp in theYamaha 3050 AVR just for extra headroom on any burst peaks. I already have my center front speaker using the 2206+LE85 and a slot radiator in a small (1.25 cu ft) enclosure that I built and tonally it mates well with the L-300 front right and left. The center is the second attached thumbnail. A little weak on bass but I built it primarily to enhance dialogue . Hopefully this alternative is at least as good as the 3677 would have been and will perform a bit lower in the 4 cu ft box to still do well with the "higher frequency than my subwoofer" side effects. I would have preferred the 15 inch but this 12 is supposed to be a top of the line bass/midrange unit with superb transient behavior so should do the job. I plan to port them for a 50 cps tune and also try them with the ports plugged for comparison. I figure worst case is I raise the crossover from the sealed 16 inch SVS subs (which replaced the SVS cylinders in the photo) up to around 125 cps instead of 80 cps. My only concern is the sealed sub versus the 2206 crossover realm retaining transient performance for strong sound effects.
Any ideas? It is going to take a while to get the enclosures and crossovers built but I will let you know how it works out. Kind of nice having all 7 ground level home built JBL big speakers. I will try to live with the ceiling atmos 6.5 inch Klipsch. I cannot see any reason to change them out. Not sure if similar JBL in ceiling speakers would make any difference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3 front homebuilt.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	2116505   Click image for larger version

Name:	center 2206.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	2116513  

Bill Shenefelt