Polk Atrium 6,7, or 8SDI vs Definitive Tech. AW5500 or AW6500 to use with SONOS - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 10-01-2010, 12:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I am looking for some outdoor speakers to setup with my Sonos. My sonos has a built in amplifier that handles 55 Watts RMS per channel. I have been looking at some speakers for outdoors but I can't decide either going with Polk or Definitive Tech. I know DT makes the legendary Mythos so they have good feedback and I have always heard Polk makes good speakers too. The thing I can't decide on is if its worth paying extra for bigger speakers. For example, The DF AW5500 are rated from 10-175 watts while the Polk Atrium 6 are rated at 10-100 watts. Will I get more sound using the DF AW5500? For this example they both are the same price. But I want good quality speakers. Likewise the AW6500 are rated 10-200 watts and the Polk Atrium 7 are rated 10-125 watts so I really can't decide which is best. Keep in mind that the Polk Atrium 6 pair is 400 dollars so is the DT AW5500 and the Polk 7 is 500 dollars the pair so is the DT AW6500.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-01-2010, 04:31 AM
TL5
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I sent you a PM regarding some Definitive Tech. AW6500's
post #3 of 6 Old 10-01-2010, 12:16 PM

I own a pair of Polk Atrium 55 and I'm a bit disappointed about their sound quality. I own quite a few Polk speakers, and I love them all except the Atrium. There is no bass, and the mid-range and highs sound pretty thin to me.

I compared them side-by-side with Polk R15 bookshelf, and both me and my wife feel that the R15 beat the Atrium 55 hands down.

I love Polk speakers and have recommended the Polk monitor line to most of my friends who want to build a budget system. In my opinion the monitor 50s are the best price/performance that you can find out there if you are on a tight budget, and they are the best entry level system. However, the Atrium 55 really disappoints me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmarkvitz View Post

Hi, I am looking for some outdoor speakers to setup with my Sonos. My sonos has a built in amplifier that handles 55 Watts RMS per channel. I have been looking at some speakers for outdoors but I can't decide either going with Polk or Definitive Tech. I know DT makes the legendary Mythos so they have good feedback and I have always heard Polk makes good speakers too. The thing I can't decide on is if its worth paying extra for bigger speakers. For example, The DF AW5500 are rated from 10-175 watts while the Polk Atrium 6 are rated at 10-100 watts. Will I get more sound using the DF AW5500? For this example they both are the same price. But I want good quality speakers. Likewise the AW6500 are rated 10-200 watts and the Polk Atrium 7 are rated 10-125 watts so I really can't decide which is best. Keep in mind that the Polk Atrium 6 pair is 400 dollars so is the DT AW5500 and the Polk 7 is 500 dollars the pair so is the DT AW6500.

post #4 of 6 Old 10-02-2010, 02:22 PM

Liked: 20
I bought refurbished pairs of Atrium 60s and Atrium 65SDIs from Polk's eBay outlet site for $160 + $20 shipping and $175 + $25 shipping, respectively. (Mine are white; black usually sells for less.) They both sound absolutely fabulous with great highs and lows.

As I said in another thread, both pairs arrived in boxes with a sticker indicating they were refurbished. I have to believe them but, I couldn't find anything else about these speakers that would suggest that they were anything other than brand new.

If you're looking for quality outdoor speakers with ~6 ½ woofers, this is a seriously great deal. - I love the speakers and I love the price!
post #5 of 6 Old 10-02-2010, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw87c View Post

I own a pair of Polk Atrium 55 and I'm a bit disappointed about their sound quality. I own quite a few Polk speakers, and I love them all except the Atrium. There is no bass, and the mid-range and highs sound pretty thin to me.

I compared them side-by-side with Polk R15 bookshelf, and both me and my wife feel that the R15 beat the Atrium 55 hands down.

I love Polk speakers and have recommended the Polk monitor line to most of my friends who want to build a budget system. In my opinion the monitor 50s are the best price/performance that you can find out there if you are on a tight budget, and they are the best entry level system. However, the Atrium 55 really disappoints me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWind View Post

I bought refurbished pairs of Atrium 60s and Atrium 65SDIs from Polk’s eBay outlet site for $160 + $20 shipping and $175 + $25 shipping, respectively. (Mine are white; black usually sells for less.) They both sound absolutely fabulous with great highs and lows.

As I said in another thread, both pairs arrived in boxes with a sticker indicating they were refurbished. I have to believe them but, I couldn’t find anything else about these speakers that would suggest that they were anything other than brand new.

If you’re looking for quality outdoor speakers with ~6 ½” woofers, this is a seriously great deal. – I love the speakers and I love the price!

Thanks for the info both of you. I see they are a good price but I am not looking for the best price I can find. I am for the best sound out of these. I really want to thank you for the suggestions but I want to know if I should go for Definitive Tech or Polk's new series. I want to know if a speaker rated to a higher watt like the definitive tech rated to 10-150 will sound louder with the 55watt rms per channel from the sonos rather than the polk rated only up to 100.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-02-2010, 09:42 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmarkvitz View Post

I want to know if a speaker rated to a higher watt like the definitive tech rated to 10-150 will sound louder with the 55watt rms per channel from the sonos rather than the polk rated only up to 100.

No, that's not what those numbers mean.

Those numbers represent the manufacturer’s determination of the minimum watts required to drive a speaker and the maximum watts a speaker can handle before exhibiting serious, or even terminal, problems. – Be aware that although it’s certainly possible to break a speaker by feeding it too many watts, it’s also possible to break a speaker by using an underpowered amp and turning the volume control way up in an attempt to increase loundness.

It's the “Efficiency” of a speaker that is a measure how loud a speaker will play on a given amount of watts. The higher the “Efficiency”, the louder a speaker will sound at a given wattage.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page