Tannoy Definition D300 and Sonus Faber Concertino Domus - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-01-2010, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys,

Before I tell you my "problem" just wanted to tell you that this is one of the best AV forums that I've found.

So now my "problem"....

Couple of months ago I decided to finaly start upgrading my HiFi equipment and decided first to get some good speakers and use them as surround with my current AV receiver until I get enough money to buy some good quality stereo amp (don't want to start a fight but I really like stereo setup for music).

At the time I was looking mostly at the B&W 686 speaker since my budget was 400-500$ at the max, but I didn't buy them.I wanted to save a little money and buy their bigger brother the 685s or the MS Mezzos 2.The 685s and the Mezzos are 600 euro brand new.

To make a long story short I decided to go the second hand route and found these two speakers to be in my budget (not at the moment but in one or two months).

The sonus fabers are around 870-900 euros with the original stands in excellent condition and I like their sound a lot (and are one damn sexy speaker to look at).

The tannoys are the one that make me wonder.They are brand knew in a box (i have seen the actual pictures) and the guy asks around 1000 euros for them (he also have d500s new in box).I know in their time they were the flagship series and had excellent cabinets and crossovers but I cant find almost any info on them on the net (except some old reviews from memebers at audioreview who really liked them).And I cant listen them for now because they are 3 hours drive from me.

I mostly listen blues, jazz, acoustic music, some soft rock and vocals, so the midrange and highs are verry important to me, dont need tons of base, just tight and accurate (I dont have a verry big room).

So what do you think, are the Tannoys today really worth that price (considering they are brand new) or should I go for the sonus speakers?

These are for now my only choises because I live in small country and dont get the high end stuff and gear that you have (little jealous now ) and I cant buy online.

Thanks for your help