Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 10-05-2010, 12:51 AM - Thread Starter
Nje

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys,

I made a post on Tom's Hardware about 4 months ago about buying a 2.1 speaker system for around $1000. I was tipped that this would be a better place to post for audio advice.

Now I am finally here in the US and have actually moved into the small room that I am going to put the speakers in (yay) and will hopefully soon realize my plans. The setup I thought would be good after astrallite's excellent advice was:

2x NHT Classic Two

1x Elemental Designs A3S - 250

1x Yamaha HTR-6240

Since then I have upgraded all the music on my computer from mp3s to lossless audio. I plan to use the HDMI out on my laptop for the input.

Also following actually moving in I realised two things - firstly, I will need some speaker stands. As it looks now, I would move my bed out a bit, put the satellite speakers there. So I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for some inexpensive, solid speaker stands (I can't use wall mounts) that are about 80cm to 1m high. I've had Sanus suggested to me and will have a look at those.

I also wonder about the subwoofer - my room is in no way optimal for speaker placement. This may change in later years though, so I'm still keen to invest in something worthwhile. But yeah, there is a lot of furniture. The subwoofer should preferably be diagonally opposite the listening point right? Ie as far as possible from where you're sitting, but also near a wall? Because there is one corner near me, and then there is one place in front of my wardrobe (would impede a bit with opening it but I don't really care) that is diagonally opposite. So I guess it would need to be in front of the wardrobe?

Thanks a lot for any helpful replies!

PS: Sorry there are no links to the equipment I mentioned - I wasn't allowed to put URLs in my first post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 10-05-2010, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Sanus stands from amazon.com are very nicely priced, and for the budget minded, the stands from Monoprice "may" work (depends on speaker size) http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

I am a little confused about what you ultimately want ??? Do you want to maintain your 2.1 setup, or are you adding speakers to go to a 5.1 home theater setup ?

If you are going to maintain a "stereo" setup, than speakers on each side of your bed do not sound like the best option to create a stereo soundstage.
post #3 of 16 Old 10-05-2010, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter
Nje

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_vanmeter View Post

Sanus stands from amazon.com are very nicely priced, and for the budget minded, the stands from Monoprice "may" work (depends on speaker size)

I am a little confused about what you ultimately want ??? Do you want to maintain your 2.1 setup, or are you adding speakers to go to a 5.1 home theater setup ?

If you are going to maintain a "stereo" setup, than speakers on each side of your bed do not sound like the best option to create a stereo soundstage.

Thank you for your reply. I want to maintain a 2.1 setup - I have no immediate plans to go to a 5.1 home theater setup. The room I have is a studio apartment, so my sofa is facing the bed (the desk is between the two). The bed is about 2m (7 feet) long and that would be roughly the maximum distance I could have between the speakers. I want to put the speakers on stands behind the bed, facing the desk and the sofa. What kind of speaker placement would you recommend for a stereo soundstage? I can vary the distance between the speakers.
post #4 of 16 Old 10-05-2010, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
OK, it makes sense now. Speaker spacing will be a trial and error sort of thing, somewhere between 3.5' on each side to centerline of bed, to 5'. There will be a sweetspot in there with some experimentation and you sitting the the prime listening position.

The best way to position the subwoofer is doing the "subwoofer crawl" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV3oLLMgS-M There is no way of telling where the optimum location is without some experimentation.
post #5 of 16 Old 10-05-2010, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter
Nje

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_vanmeter View Post

OK, it makes sense now. Speaker spacing will be a trial and error sort of thing, somewhere between 3.5' on each side to centerline of bed, to 5'. There will be a sweetspot in there with some experimentation and you sitting the the prime listening position.

The best way to position the subwoofer is doing the "subwoofer crawl" . There is no way of telling where the optimum location is without some experimentation.

Ok, thank you. I don't think my room is big enough for much over 4' from the centerpiece unfortunately, but ill definitely test when I have everything including some crawling.
post #6 of 16 Old 10-05-2010, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter
Nje

So I had a look at the Sanus speaker stands now. I thought the Sanus Euros look nice (I can get them here for $100 from Amazon) but on the NHT website they say that the Euros will only do up to the NHT Absolute Zero (their smaller bookshelf speaker). The higher end Sanus Steel model will cost $230. The Sanus Euros are rated up to 25 lbs though, which is far more than what the NHT Classic Twos weigh. Should I believe NHT when they say you need the more expensive stand? The website is here: http://www.nhthifi.com/nhtstore/Sanus-Systems (I can finally post links now).

If I actually have to get the more expensive speaker stands, the extra cost of getting the Classic Twos compared to the Absolute Zeros will come up to over $300, which seems like a lot to pay.
post #7 of 16 Old 10-05-2010, 07:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 435
Call NHT - The regular stand, use to hold the SB2 speaker. This is the
one that the Classic Two replaced.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #8 of 16 Old 10-05-2010, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter
Nje

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

Call NHT - The regular stand, use to hold the SB2 speaker. This is the
one that the Classic Two replaced.

Ok thanks. I just called them and left a message, so hopefully they will call me back soon.
post #9 of 16 Old 10-05-2010, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter
Nje

Ok, update: NHT called back, and he said that as long as there aren't sort of kids and dogs running around the house, the euro foundation speaker stands would be fine. They ship with a plate that fits the Classic Twos so that won't be a problem. He said that it would be good to fill the center of the stands with sand, both from a sound perspective and so that they're a little heavier. Overall I got a good impression that he definitely knew what he was talking about.

There's no disadvantage ordering these things from Amazon right? Compared to another reseller, or from NHT's website? On the speakers I only save $18 on the shipping by ordering from Amazon, so I might order those from NHT. The speaker stands there's a bigger difference, so for those definitely Amazon.
post #10 of 16 Old 10-05-2010, 08:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nje View Post

Ok, update:

There's no disadvantage ordering these things from Amazon right? Compared to another reseller, or from NHT's website? On the speakers I only save $18 on the shipping by ordering from Amazon, so I might order those from NHT. The speaker stands there's a bigger difference, so for those definitely Amazon.

Go to onecall.com and look for the NHT Classic Two speaker there.
They even have a special going. They also have some speaker stands.
NHT is a good company. The Classic Two is a good speaker.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #11 of 16 Old 10-05-2010, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter
Nje

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

Go to onecall.com and look for the NHT Classic Two speaker there.
They even have a special going. They also have some speaker stands.
NHT is a good company. The Classic Two is a good speaker.

Thanks for the tip on onecall - they're actually by far the cheapest for the speaker stands. The speakers also come with free shipping there and they're an authorized reseller. Things are shaping up now =)
post #12 of 16 Old 10-06-2010, 12:15 AM

Liked: 14
Amazon provides free 2-day shipping for a year if you have a student email, one free month trial if you don't, and they will pay return shipping regardless of size or weight. They don't give you any hassles, if you want to return something within 30 days, they will take it back, and I've seen exceptions made for extensions.

There aren't many retailers like Amazon online. Newegg, for example, is a typical online retailer. They don't pay for return shipping, they've got about 50 return policies on their site, most of them very stringent, and many of them violates some sort of credit card regulation (i.e., they bank on the fact that most buyers are clueless about their rights.).
post #13 of 16 Old 10-06-2010, 12:35 AM - Thread Starter
Nje

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfitch View Post

Amazon provides free 2-day shipping for a year if you have a student email, one free month trial if you don't, and they will pay return shipping regardless of size or weight. They don't give you any hassles, if you want to return something within 30 days, they will take it back, and I've seen exceptions made for extensions.

There aren't many retailers like Amazon online. Newegg, for example, is a typical online retailer. They don't pay for return shipping, they've got about 50 return policies on their site, most of them very stringent, and many of them violates some sort of credit card regulation (i.e., they bank on the fact that most buyers are clueless about their rights.).

Thanks for telling me that about Amazon - really helpful. I do have a student email, so I can get free 2-day shipping then. Did not know that =)

I just checked and apparently the speakers are sold by OneCall through Amazon Marketplace anyway, so might as well just buy them directly from there.
post #14 of 16 Old 10-06-2010, 12:58 AM

Liked: 14
Any item that says "qualifies for Amazon Prime Shipping" means that Amazon is taking full responsibility for the item--i.e., returns, customer service--even if it's "sold" through another dealer.

Something tells me most merchants with storefronts on the site are terrified of Amazon corporate backlash. Even with the "non-Prime" sellers, most of them seem to respond to requests abnormally quite quickly for online sellers. I've had a few just refund the entire purchase price without even asking what the problem was or for me to send the item back. Amazon is kind of bizarre actually, with how customer friendly it is, it's really abnormal for an online etailer.

It's pretty clear to me Amazon survives on volume alone, their prices and policies aren't sustainable otherwise. If Newegg operated on the same principles I'm guessing they would have gone out of business by now. Plus there is the warranty angle--Amazon is a authorized dealer for all it's "sold by Amazon/prime" products. You'd be surprised how many reputable sites sell expensive items--even Newegg--that has no factory warranty.
post #15 of 16 Old 10-06-2010, 07:17 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
You'll love the NHT 2s. Nice choice!
post #16 of 16 Old 10-07-2010, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter
Nje

Now I've actually ordered everything from speaker stands to cables - I can't wait for it all to come! I stupidly forgot to sign up for the 2-day shipping thing though, so my receiver will ship via the supersaver shipping. But thanks a lot again for telling me about that jonfitch, will definitely be using it in the future. I will post here again once I have my system assembled and all, I'm sure I will have some questions as I have never set anything like this up before. Thanks a lot for all the help so far.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page