Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 69 Old 10-08-2010, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 439
If anyone gets the details, just post them here. He also sent out a letter to some people. The contents are given below.

Quote:

Good Morning All:

As today is Friday and my day of reckoning in Court, I wanted to send along a few thoughts and all. These have been very difficult days for us filled with anxiety and sadness in many respects. I'm also sure that all of you have suffered along with us. I'm truly sorry for this.

Of course I have sat through these last few weeks with a fear-riddled heart torn and broken in many ways. I've also felt the overwhelming support of each of you in your own way and in your own words. I wanted to take this moment and thank you for everything. While great pain is present - so is a greater depth and realization of what each of you has meant to me -

I've also grown quite a bit Spiritually - and while I don't often say too much about this in an e-mail setting I can tell you all that the strength and joy I have re-kindled in this has meant more to me than anything else. *The core of who and what we are is (after all) what we are all seeking in this life - My strength and my "core" is all about God. I have found that missing ingredient again in my life - and I'm so grateful for this.

My actions have brought tremendous shame to my family and to all of my friends, and for that I apologize once again. I love you all so very much, and I'm truly sorrow-filled for the pain and suffering I have caused. But know this - I will NOT be defined by these events. *What I do in the future beyond my sentencing today will be all about finding that peace that a good and grace filled life can bring. I am ready to move beyond this moment and get back to the things I enjoy doing - and delivering on promises in the here and now, and on into the future. I have a bright life ahead and I hope to be enjoying that with all of you TOGETHER, as it should be.

I'm also very sorry that the last few weeks really enveloped my every being. I have not been there for all of you - and I'm really very sorry for that as well. Please know that I realize this, and again, want to thank each of you for being there for me and those around me during this time. I know it has not been easy on any of you in so many ways.

Well I truly hope that either later on today - or Saturday that I'm able to personally write or let you know how I fared. While I pray for this I also pray for each and every one of you. Your Grace and Love has shown through in so many ways. I thank you for this

Peace be with us all

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 69 Old 10-08-2010, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
That is an extremely well written letter of contrition, and yes, we've seen a few of them before. Whether or not it holds sway with the judge will be known shortly. If I were the wagering type, I'd bet that he receives no jail time and just over a buzzillion hours of community service.

Quote heard today from a friend...

"I'd rather have the US Military after me than that Chu Gai fellow."
post #3 of 69 Old 10-08-2010, 03:17 PM

Liked: 15
I hope slim schifty gets some jail time.
post #4 of 69 Old 10-08-2010, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 117
I found that letter hard to read, or more accurately, swallow. Considering past open letters he has written, I am not seeing anything that makes me believe he has turned any pages in his life. Silence would actually have been a better plan. We have all heard his mea culpa's before.

~Nick

Augustine's Law: "The last 10% of performance generates one-third of the cost and two-thirds of the problems."

post #5 of 69 Old 10-08-2010, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmanick View Post

I found that letter hard to read, or more accurately, swallow. Considering past open letters he has written, I am not seeing anything that makes me believe he has turned any pages in his life. Silence would actually have been a better plan. We have all heard his mea culpa's before.

This is true but the judge hasn't heard it.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #6 of 69 Old 10-08-2010, 04:40 PM
Advanced Member

He just never quits with all the heartfelt BS.
post #7 of 69 Old 10-08-2010, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 47
So, what happened?
post #8 of 69 Old 10-08-2010, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

He sold some speakers to the judge.

Sorry....just had to.
post #9 of 69 Old 10-08-2010, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quite a nice letter and I hope he means it.
post #10 of 69 Old 10-08-2010, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 657
"I have not been there for all of you"

Gack, it'll never stop.

Only thing missing was a slipped hint of a new design that is *All That* and more.

If he had handlers he'd have 20-30 mil in the bank. What a waste of marketing.
post #11 of 69 Old 10-08-2010, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jephdood View Post

So, what happened?

No idea. Sentencing was late in the day and no one picked up at the court clerk's office.

post #12 of 69 Old 10-08-2010, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Makes me wanna puke....
post #13 of 69 Old 10-08-2010, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

20 years probation, 2 years work release, 500 hours of community service

I think he got off pretty easy. Maybe there'll be more information later.

post #14 of 69 Old 10-08-2010, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

I guessed it! What do I win?
post #15 of 69 Old 10-08-2010, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post

20 years probation, 2 years work release, 500 hours of community service

I think he got off pretty easy. Maybe there'll be more information later.

And do we know the total amount of $$$ in question? There was a guy here in Indy who took about 30 million and was sentenced yesterday to 10 years... which is what 5-7?

Of course he tried to fake his own death too. Also sounds like a slap on the wrist to me. Easy sentences like this give no incentive to do the right thing... imho.
post #16 of 69 Old 10-08-2010, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Booo! Slime slithers away... kinda...

What's "2 years work release"?

Quote:

In prison systems, work release programs allow a prisoner who is sufficiently trusted or can be sufficiently monitored to leave confinement to continue working at his or her current place of employment, returning to prison when his/her shift is complete. The concept was introduced in the state of Wisconsin in 1913 under the Huber Law program, which continues to be the casual name of Wisconsin's work release program presently [1].

Some work release programs allow greater freedom for the prisoner, allowing prisoners who follow a Monday-Friday work week to attend work and live at their homes on those days, and serve their sentences two days at a time on weekends. Depending on the terms of the program, the prisoner may serve his or her sentence in a halfway house or home confinement while not working. Other work release programs can be offered to prisoners who are nearing the end of their terms and looking for a reintegration into civilian life, with a possible offer of full-time employment once the prisoner is released.

He seems to have no jail time, so how's he going to go 'back' to jail?

So basically, he's back to ripping people off for his living? What's his 'work' now anyhow with av321.gone being gone? Let's not hope another audio venture so we don't have to endure him and his goons again...

Someone should take justice into their own hands and sell him an MFW... AT RETAIL PRICE!!! OUCH!
post #17 of 69 Old 10-08-2010, 05:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 423
That letter from MLS was a joke and is complete BS. Anyone that knows his history that believes he is actually sorry or who feels bad for him is really gullible.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #18 of 69 Old 10-08-2010, 05:59 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandarf View Post

So basically, he's back to ripping people off for his living? What's his 'work' now anyhow with av321.gone being gone? Let's not hope another audio venture so we don't have to endure him and his goons again...

If he gets back into the audio biz, he's going to have to be a very, very silent partner in whatever venture he's involved in.
post #19 of 69 Old 10-08-2010, 06:00 PM

Liked: 11
Remember some of what he did

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=42635.0

Maybe this world is another planet's hell.
Aldous Huxley
post #20 of 69 Old 10-08-2010, 06:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Probation and Community Service. I think Lindsay Lohan got a stiffer sentance. I was really hoping Mark would have to give those famous Hugs to Bubba and Bruno.

I am always amazed at how the Criminal Justice System favors the criminal.
post #21 of 69 Old 10-08-2010, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The sentencing was scheduled for 3 pm MT. It didn't take place until around 4:30. At the sentencing there were two women present (older and younger) one of them being a redhead (dyed). While they were said to be family members, it's unknown just who they were (for now). A few other people were also present.

Although it was not mentioned above, he will have to make restitution. Those who have asked for the monies to be returned to them will eventually receive their money. Those who have asked that their monies go to the intended recipients, that's where the monies will go. I don't know what happens to the rest of the monies. That's yet to be determined by the judge. He did arrive with some money (checks I'm told...let's hope they don't bounce!). The total amount he still owes is north of $100,000. I don't know what the payment plan is.

The Victim Impact Statements (approximately 50-60...this is considered a significant number) and personal letters that some sent were ALL read by the judge. They had a direct bearing on the sentencing. In fact, the judge read quite a bit of stuff in addition like forum posts I'm told. One of the things that struck the judge was just how Mark's actions destroyed an Internet community fracturing it into largely two camps. There was also great empathy for DW's situation with his daughter. In part it's the reason why he was not given straight jail time. The judge wants Mark to obtain and maintain gainful employment so that restitution can be made ASAP. Jail time would have delayed that. The other things the judge made note of was how she never thought she'd become so facile with high end audio! Note that these forum posts here and elsewhere are still being followed.

Two years of work release means that during the day, Mark is to go to work doing whatever that may be (community service too) and then return to the Boulder County Jail where he will spend the night. After the sentencing he was taken there and is where he is at this moment. You should be able to go to the Boulder County Sheriff's webpage and look up the daily booking report tomorrow and see his name. So Hugh, if you plan on visiting him when you attend the RMAF, weekends sound good. Just call the jail and get the particulars.

Up until this time he was out on bail. The money he had to put up, 10-15%, just gets turned over to the bondsman permanently. As a condition of bail he had to surrender his passport. I don't know if he also has to surrender it as a condition of the sentencing.

It would be tempting to find out where Mark is working at this time and inform the employer of his situation. However, to do so means that restitution may never take place. It's good to keep an eye on things but if he's flipping burgers or selling cars, I suggest that we let things like that go so that everyone can get what's owed them.

It can now be said that there was no immunity granted to anyone. At some point, Mark was interviewed at his place of employment by law officials who essentially caught him unawares. As near as I can determine, he took the fall for the whole thing and implicated no one else.

I don't know the conditions of probation. That will probably come out later. There will also be a new booking photo.

There are also various civil actions in progress or being contemplated against him. Perhaps as they proceed the parties in question will either tell about them or give permission to have them posted in the forums.

That's about it. Please join me for a symbolic toast with the beverage of your choice this evening. As we toast, please remember the detective who worked hard on this case gathering information as she deserves our thanks. Salud!

post #22 of 69 Old 10-08-2010, 06:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Chu Gai, I think you deserve a very heartfelt thanks too for all your time. effort and detective work also.

Remind me to never piss you off (Whew!!!)
post #23 of 69 Old 10-08-2010, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

It was the charities that managed to get a lot of agencies in Colorado involved. Dana Farber AFAIK was the first followed shortly thereafter by the American Red Cross. I just tried to wrap up everything I knew to make their work easier. I can tell you they weren't happy about this at all. The work done by the detective was also very good and thorough.

post #24 of 69 Old 10-08-2010, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

If the judge was aware of as much as it seems she was, I'll have to side with her sentence. He IS indeed serving some time for this, so he did not get off as easily as has been suggested. Kudos to Chu Gai for following all of this in such detail. I know that "I" will never piss you off!
post #25 of 69 Old 10-09-2010, 04:34 AM

Liked: 11
Note to self: do off piss off the Interweb. You will be caught.

A fair sentence, I think. While I never bought into any raffles and had no quality issues with any av123 stuff, I still think the way he handled his financial issues was reprehensible. His real punishment, though, is that he'll never be allowed back into the audio industry. Maybe he will actually learn and grow from this. I certainly hope and pray that ghe intended raffle recipients get the funds that were intended for them.
post #26 of 69 Old 10-10-2010, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Wanted to bump this thread once again to say another heartfelt thanks to Chu Gai for sticking with it through to the end !!!! You are a great man looking to gain nothing from all this to serve all the people and charities that got duped by this horrible person...

Thanks buddy..... !!!!
post #27 of 69 Old 10-11-2010, 02:22 PM
GCS
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Wow, just wow!

I had no clue what had been going on and now I know and am friggin' speechless.

I have been a Rocket owner for a very long time and just don't know what to say.

Greg

XBL Gamertag - blowfish7494

"Pull up your big boy pants and deal with it" - The Wife!

"Put on your man suit and fake it" - The Wife

post #28 of 69 Old 10-11-2010, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Seems like a firm, fair sentence. Imagine being unable to live in your house for over half a year. There are plenty of stories of felons making millions though. If nothing else, MLS is a go getter.
post #29 of 69 Old 10-11-2010, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmichaelf View Post

Seems like a firm, fair sentence. Imagine being unable to live in your house for over half a year. There are plenty of stories of felons making millions though. If nothing else, MLS is a go getter.

Fair my ass. This guy steals from a multitude of people and numerous vendors and gets a slap on the wrist. However your low level drug dealer who only affects one small neighborhood of people will get 7-15 years for an ounce of white powder. Bullfeces.
post #30 of 69 Old 10-11-2010, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 38
All I can do is quote the Grateful Dead-"What a long strange trip this has been". Nice work Chu and Good Night Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are:-)
Closed Thread Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page