Magnepan $700 Budget - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 10-12-2010, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hi everyone,

Given a $700 budget, would you opt for the MMG speakers or find an older model (1.6, 1.7, MG II, etc.) off Craigslist?

I am aware that older Magnepan's have the mylar / wire issues. I don't really want to buy a rebuilt/might-need-to-be-rebuilt set.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 10-12-2010, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I'd be inclined to go with bigger, used panels, or make sure I had a store near me that applied the MMG's purchase to an upgrade.

I ain't scared of the repairs though.

Ask in the Magnepan thread too - those people know things...

Ron
post #3 of 25 Old 10-13-2010, 06:40 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I would go for the 1.6. Though, you will have to increase your budget by 2 or 3 hundred. Look over at audiogon.com. Buy from those that have good feedback and you will find a very nice pair.
post #4 of 25 Old 10-13-2010, 07:48 AM

Liked: 10
what size is your room,,??

here is the maggie site,, http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/MUG/bbs.html

Derry

Common sense is not common,,

Gunned 1.6QRs & Altec VOTTs
post #5 of 25 Old 10-13-2010, 12:51 PM

You really need to look at your room & acoustics when you consider any of the Magnepans. I have the MMG's working in a difficult livingroom set-up along with the MMG-W's & MMG-C, and i don't think any other speakers will touch them (within my budget).
If you already have a subwoofer & a decent amp, they will change the way you listen to music & movies...
post #6 of 25 Old 10-13-2010, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 17
My room size is 12x16. My amp is an Outlaw 2150.

Shivaji, the 1.7 is going for MSRP $1995 as stated on the Magnepan site. Were the 1.6 the predecessor?

I bet I'd be happy with the MMG...
post #7 of 25 Old 10-13-2010, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelkingdom View Post

My room size is 12x16. My amp is an Outlaw 2150.

Shivaji, the 1.7 is going for MSRP $1995 as stated on the Magnepan site. Were the 1.6 the predecessor?

I bet I'd be happy with the MMG...

Just don't stand up.

Ron
post #8 of 25 Old 10-13-2010, 03:10 PM

Out of curiosity, does anybody have pics of their home systems with the MMG series? I see some on their website but I could not get a good feel of they would be used in real world.
post #9 of 25 Old 09-16-2012, 11:36 AM

THE VERY BEST OF THE SMALLEST DECENT FULL RANGE MAGNEPAN IS THE OLDER SMG C VERSION. IVE HAD THE MMGS AND THEY JUST DONT COMPAIR ANYWHERE TO THIS OLDER SMG C. IF I WAS LOOKING FOR THE BEST SYSTEM FOR THE MONEY I WOULD BUY USED MG 10S FOR FRONT AND REARS AND A PAIR OF THEM FOR THE CENTER CHANNEL RUNNING A GOOD FIVE OR SEVEN CHANNEL AMP. A GOOD AMP FOR THE MONEY IS A USED NAD T973. IVE OWNED ONE FOR A COUPLE OF YEARS AND THEY HAVE ENOUGH TO RUN SIX MG 10s A SEPERATE SUB AND THATS IT. A EMOTIVA PROCESSOR OR ONKYO UNIT WOULD BE A GREAT SYSTEM FOR A SYSTEM.
post #10 of 25 Old 09-16-2012, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 276
I would look for a pair of used 1.6's, the model before the 1.7's. Better frequency response and both high and low end. That said, as others have stated, you'd probably have to up your budget to get them, even used. Since you can try and return the MMGs you could give them a shot, but the 1.6/1.7 are a significant step up. I have a pair of ca. 1988 MG-IIIa's that are still OK, but yes many older models may have delamination issues as well as blown ribbon tweeters. Magnepan rebuilds them fairly inexpensively, but a $500 deal with a $500 rebuild may not be what you want (though MG-II or III series rebuilt in that price range would blow away the MMG's). I would not worry about an amp in that size room.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #11 of 25 Old 02-23-2013, 06:16 AM

I just bought a pair of MMG's @ $599 plus shipping a week ago and could not be happier. They have a great program on right now that you have a sixty-day in home trial along with a one year opportunity to upgrade to a larger model with a full refund. See their site for details. This program is direct with Magnepan, it's unavailable through their dealers. I think it's a good way to stay within your budget AND have something under warranty - which you will not get if you buy used equipment.

I've drunk the Maggie kool-aid - these are easily the best sounding speakers I have owned. I will suggest purchasing some decent stands to lift them off the floor around six inches, it does make a difference.
post #12 of 25 Old 02-23-2013, 10:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBNY631 View Post

I just bought a pair of MMG's @ $599 plus shipping a week ago and could not be happier. They have a great program on right now that you have a sixty-day in home trial along with a one year opportunity to upgrade to a larger model with a full refund. See their site for details. This program is direct with Magnepan, it's unavailable through their dealers. I think it's a good way to stay within your budget AND have something under warranty - which you will not get if you buy used equipment.

I've drunk the Maggie kool-aid - these are easily the best sounding speakers I have owned. I will suggest purchasing some decent stands to lift them off the floor around six inches, it does make a difference.

Allot of people find Ribbon tweeters especially the RAAL a good run for the money without allot of the negatives associated with Maggies. Not trying to sway you against this..and RAALs are NOT cheap..but something to keep in mind. Phil 2's are a great option from Dennis there are also other options but don't think you will find anything as good as a Phil 2 with a Raal at that price range. Of course, look on other sites for used and you may smile.gif
post #13 of 25 Old 04-27-2013, 11:27 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Can you use them for surround sound?
post #14 of 25 Old 04-27-2013, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
About four years ago , I had a full Maggie HT. MMG fronts,MMGC center and MMGW rears. I had seen a number of folks stating that the MMG's sounded much better , when mounted vertical,rather then with the tilted stands the factory sends them out with.
At that point,I built custom stands stands for my MMG's, and they did sound much ( clarity vastly improved).

As you can tell from the TV in the photo,This was a number of years ago smile.gif Anyway,here is a photo of the MMG's in an HT as the OP requested.

Cruzin

Martin Logan Speakers

Marantz Prepro

Aragon 4004, and Outlaw 7100 amps

Chase 18.1 Sub,and Velodyne DD15

LittleBear tube preamp

Pro-Ject debutte 3 turntable

post #15 of 25 Old 04-27-2013, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Can you use them for surround sound?

Yes, many of us have all-Maggie 5.x or 7.x systems. My system uses seven Magnepan speakers plus two Rythmic subwoofers.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #16 of 25 Old 04-29-2013, 12:54 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post Yes, many of us have all-Maggie 5.x or 7.x systems. My system uses seven Magnepan speakers plus two Rythmic subwoofers.

How do they play with other speakers or box speakers as Maggies calls them, my fronts are B&W 800Diamonds

post #17 of 25 Old 04-29-2013, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Their soundstage is quite different and the backwave, like ESLs and other planer speakers, gives them a different "character". If I had 800D's I would be looking at the B&W center and surrounds.

post #18 of 25 Old 05-01-2013, 08:33 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View PostTheir soundstage is quite different and the backwave, like ESLs and other planer speakers, gives them a different "character". If I had 800D's I would be looking at the B&W center and surrounds.

I currently have the following: 

3 B&W 800Diamonds (L/C/R)

4 B&W 802D1 (RS/LS/RSB/LSB)

I am thinking that the 802Ds are two much for the surround and also have my eyes on something else!

post #19 of 25 Old 05-02-2013, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Seems a bit outside the scope of a thread on "$700 Magnepans"... smile.gif

While I bet that sounds great, quite honestly I do not think you would be happy with Magnepans in that system. Going from 802's to smaller Magnepans (MMGW, MC1, MC2) would be a huge change, and if you get floor models (MMG, 1.7, etc.) you would need a lot of room behind them (at least 2', preferably 3') and/or treatment to prevent significant signal FR ripples due to the back wave adding and subtracting from the front wave. And the floor models still would not match the bass of the 802's. I would suggest going to 804's or the B&W wall surrounds (heard them, friend has them, don't recall the model) if you are looking to downgrade. Or consider other, conventional, speakers (too many for me to track, and I have not heard a lot of the latest favorites).

post #20 of 25 Old 05-02-2013, 12:04 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View PostSeems a bit outside the scope of a thread on "$700 Magnepans"... smile.gif

While I bet that sounds great, quite honestly I do not think you would be happy with Magnepans in that system. Going from 802's to smaller Magnepans (MMGW, MC1, MC2) would be a huge change, and if you get floor models (MMG, 1.7, etc.) you would need a lot of room behind them (at least 2', preferably 3') and/or treatment to prevent significant signal FR ripples due to the back wave adding and subtracting from the front wave. And the floor models still would not match the bass of the 802's. I would suggest going to 804's or the B&W wall surrounds (heard them, friend has them, don't recall the model) if you are looking to downgrade. Or consider other, conventional, speakers (too many for me to track, and I have not heard a lot of the latest favorites).

Yes, again I like to experiment so I ordered a pair of MMG, I will cross them over at 80HZ and we will se how and if I like them?  If i don't I guess I will just send them back and get my money back minus a $100 for shipping :(

post #21 of 25 Old 05-02-2013, 01:27 PM

Make sure you play something punchy through them for about 100 hours. Maggies really need to be broken in, it's just the way they are. They are basically a large stiff film when you get them, you need to loosen it up.
post #22 of 25 Old 05-02-2013, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philtho View Post

Make sure you play something punchy through them for about 100 hours. Maggies really need to be broken in, it's just the way they are. They are basically a large stiff film when you get them, you need to loosen it up.

I agree. My Maggies(still have 3.7's for a stereo setup in the bedroom) Sounded harsh until about the 50 hour mark , and didnt fully open up until the 100 hour mark.

Alan

Cruzin

Martin Logan Speakers

Marantz Prepro

LittleBear tube preamp

post #23 of 25 Old 05-03-2013, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

That's strange. Way back in the 80's we ran controlled tests I am pretty sure all measurable and noticeable changes were done by ~20 hours or so, maybe 50 max. I would have expected the QR designs to settle more quickly. Don't know, wonder what Magnepan says? I suspect after 100 hours it's as much "us" as speakers settling in, though maybe the ribbons are taking longer? The most obvious difference I saw back then was bass, almost no change in treble. Of course, what is used for the breaking in period probably matters as well (we used pink noise, probably more stressful than random music).

post #24 of 25 Old 05-03-2013, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

What you say makes perfect sense DonH50.

I would think the material used for the break in ,would make a substantial difference. I tend use music at a low level( below the level where my neighbors think I'm home ) for a few days.

I tend to treat new speakers like a car. I never jump in,start the engine up and floor the gas pedal smile.gif

Alan

Cruzin

Martin Logan Speakers

Marantz Prepro

LittleBear tube preamp

post #25 of 25 Old 09-06-2013, 11:13 AM

Liked: 14
I know the OP posted 3 years ago, but I'll share my budget system. I tend to accumulate pieces over extended periods of time. Budget is limited, so I gradually build up my components.

My most recent acquisition is a pair of Magnepan 0.5/QRs on ebay - they have begun the delamination process, so I got them pretty reasonably: $270. I had previously (about 6 months ago) purchased a new MMG-C, because I was tired of the boxy sound of my center channel. It's probably still working on break-in, as I only use it for an hour or two each day for watching a movie.

So, total speaker outlay for Magnepans (at this point) is: $300 for MMG-C + $270 for 0.5/QR pair = $570.

I'm still using some older Sony surround speakers, and I'll upgrade those when I find a good (& reasonable) pair of either MMG-W or MGMC1 on ebay.

My receiver is a Sony STR-DA3000ES, which I bought refurbished about six or eight years ago. It occasionally dies on me, so I take it apart, disconnect and reconnect all the wire connections, and it magically works again. It seems the most problematic piece is a ribbon connector that doesn't seat firmly and gradually works its way out of its socket.

Anyway, if I add some new MMG-Ws for surround (@ $325/pr), that would still keep me under $900 for the complete set (unless I decide to pay Magnepan to refurbish the 0.5s).

Older Maggies do have the delamination problem, but buying older models is a relatively cheap way to get into a system, then repair them as funds become available.

Tim
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page