NHT Unveils SuperZero Version 2.0... they're baaa-aack! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 10-14-2010, 06:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I went to a press event yesterday where NHT co-founder Chris Byrne was showing off a new speaker in NHT's line. Well sort of. It's actually a brand new version of the old classic SuperZero (now known as the SuperZero 2.0). NHT has had its ups and downs over the years, but few would contest the fact that the original SuperZero was instrumental in launching the brand. Few speakers large or small could present as deep and precise a soundstage as the original SuperZeroes. Of course, they had no bass (like as in really, NO bass), but that's what subwoofers are made for.

The new SuperZero looks nearly identical to its predecessor in size, shape and weight, but uses a slightly different finish material, and moves the crossover from 3.2 KHz to 2 KHz. Chris said the new design offers wider dispersion, as well as eliminating the beaming that could happen in the old design at high dB levels. The 85 dB efficiency means you'll want to drive these with a decent amp (and even still, they're not going to reach home theater reference levels). But even with a super-cheap Sherwood stereo receiver, playing tunes from an iPod, these little puppies sounded very promising. They paired the stereo speakers with the new Super8 powered sub ($349). Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the price of the new SuperZero 2.0 - $99 each!

More info here:

NHT Super Zero 2.0: A Classic is Reborn

Chris said these should be available for shipping by the end of the month (actually a follow-up conversation made it look like mid-November is a more realistic ship date).

-CB

Chris Boylan
Home Theater Editor
Big Picture Big Sound
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-14-2010, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Wow! $99 each?! I never heard the SuperZero's but I did have the SuperCenter and I loved it.

I'm currently running Classic 3's w/ the 3C center and after 9 months of having them, I'm still in awe.
post #3 of 9 Old 10-14-2010, 07:10 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
I loved those back in the day (mid 90's). I ended up with their tall very slender (depth and width) towers that were basically a version of the Super0 I believe, but with an additional driver. So tempting still at that $99 price point. You'll need a sub capable of pulling off a much higher crossover than 80Hz I'd imagine...more like 120Hz or 150Hz range. Maybe even 200Hz.

Why do all of my threads suck? Is there an internet posting school somewhere? -wes k
post #4 of 9 Old 10-14-2010, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAW View Post

Wow! $99 each?! I never heard the SuperZero's but I did have the SuperCenter and I loved it.

I'm currently running Classic 3's w/ the 3C center and after 9 months of having them, I'm still in awe.

Yeah, my reference system in the secondary home theater is still a pair of Super Ones, Super Center, and a couple of Super Zeroes in the back (with an SW2P subwoofer). Great stuff for the money.

-CB

Chris Boylan
Home Theater Editor
Big Picture Big Sound
post #5 of 9 Old 10-14-2010, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by boarder1995 View Post

I loved those back in the day (mid 90's). I ended up with their tall very slender (depth and width) towers that were basically a version of the Super0 I believe, but with an additional driver. So tempting still at that $99 price point. You'll need a sub capable of pulling off a much higher crossover than 80Hz I'd imagine...more like 120Hz or 150Hz range. Maybe even 200Hz.

At 150 Hz and above you'd start to have problems with bass localization. The Super Zero 2.0 is said to go down to around 100 Hz (-3 dB I'd imagine), so crossing over somewhere between 100 Hz and 120 Hz should work.

-CB

Chris Boylan
Home Theater Editor
Big Picture Big Sound
post #6 of 9 Old 10-15-2010, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by boylan13 View Post

At 150 Hz and above you'd start to have problems with bass localization. The Super Zero 2.0 is said to go down to around 100 Hz (-3 dB I'd imagine), so crossing over somewhere between 100 Hz and 120 Hz should work.

-CB

True, and perhaps I should have disclaimer'd my statement with "assuming your sub can play up to 150/200Hz adequately, and assuming the sub is in a good location where upper bass localization is not an issue." I tend to forget these issues since I've got duals up front just outside my mains. I still think such a small 2 driver speaker will suffer from trying to produce these lower frequencies if played loud, but that's just my take on it. Either way these are little gems in the right setting and can get quite loud. Glad to see them back.

Why do all of my threads suck? Is there an internet posting school somewhere? -wes k
post #7 of 9 Old 10-15-2010, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I wonder there will be a new Super One 2.0 later on? I miss those.

Still foam surrounds on the midrange?

post #8 of 9 Old 10-16-2010, 08:14 AM

Chris,

Thanks for the info. A buddy of mine owned a pair of the originals back in the day when I was into huge towers, but I remember how much I enjoyed their sound. A pair of these and that Sherwood receiver might make an excellent replacement for my bedroom soundbar.

Thanks again.
post #9 of 9 Old 10-16-2010, 10:21 AM

I'll bet the Outlaw RR2150 would be a fantastic match for a pair of these and that little 8" sub that was designed for them.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page