A high-end set of 2.1 speakers for music listening - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 112 Old 12-24-2010, 10:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
All of this... nuance detecting, impressive list of non-sound-tainting subs, breaking in blah blah... coming from an internet audio expert whose idea of a high end system consists of speakers cheaply made for computer, whose amp almost went into thermal nuclear reaction because a bad audio source, which is the computer itself?! This thread is revolutionary to say the least.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 112 Old 12-27-2010, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLove View Post

So if I order myself a brand new pair of Swans M20W's, and drive over to you house with them and an A/B switch, you'll be able to tell them apart reliably in blind testing?

Yup.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #93 of 112 Old 12-27-2010, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06S2k02Si View Post

As I'm not ready to buy a sub yet today, I'd certainly be interested in some recommendations as that is how I arrived at the 1080's! I would just be looking for something to compliment the 1080's not a whole house shaking unit.

I've only heard two or three of these myself, so I can't really make a recommendation, but the sub's listed below were all about 12" cubed (or less) so they aren't terribly large. Some of them are very expensive, others relatively cheap by comparison, so there's probably something in here for everyone...

KEF
KUBE 1

Polk
PSW 11
DSW Micro Pro 1000

Paradigm
UltraCube 1
SE Sub

SVSound
HRS 8
TS SJ 8

Definitive Technologies
SuperCube III

Velodyne
Impact Mini
MicroVee
MiniVee 8

BIC America
Venturi V80

NXG
NX-PROMINISUB

Pinnacle
SUBcompact6
SUBcompact8
SubSonic
Baby Boomer

NHT
Super 8

Mirage
MM 6

Audio Pro
Mondial Sub 1
Living LV Sub

DynAudio
Sub 250 Sat
Sub 250 Compact

Audioengine
S8

Cambridge Audio
Sirocco S90

Mordaunt-Short
Premier 308W

Monitor Audio
VW8
MSW10

Focal
Cub 2

Jamo
Sub 800
Sub 210

Tannoy
TS8
TS10
TS801

Orb-Audio
Super 8

That should keep you busy for a while...

post #94 of 112 Old 12-27-2010, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiok View Post

All of this... nuance detecting, impressive list of non-sound-tainting subs, breaking in blah blah... coming from an internet audio expert whose idea of a high end system consists of speakers cheaply made for computer, whose amp almost went into thermal nuclear reaction because a bad audio source, which is the computer itself?! This thread is revolutionary to say the least.

Perhaps you should have taken a bit more time digesting the information before posting your misinformed diatribe... my idea of a high end system doesn't consist of "speakers cheaply made for computer". I was looking for high-end speakers that could be hooked up to a computer. Two entirely different things. And the bad audio source was a CD player, not a computer (the computer was used as a second test source, which didn't cause a "thermal nuclear reaction" of any type).

post #95 of 112 Old 12-28-2010, 02:20 PM

Thanks...really!

Most a bit pricey. Found the Polk PSW111 for $175...not bad!

Thanks again, Brian
post #96 of 112 Old 12-28-2010, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06S2k02Si
Thanks...really!

Thanks again, Brian
I would rather have a you go away with a Bic F12, which is $182 from shopblt.com shipped
post #97 of 112 Old 12-28-2010, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post
I would rather have a you go away with a Bic F12, which is $182 from shopblt.com shipped
How is this sub musically compared to the PSW111? I am interested in something that is tight and accurate instead of loud and or boomy (not saying that it is...I just don't know). I don't know much about Bic...I just have heard of them before.

A few reviewers mentioned " a bit too boomy for music"
http://www.buzzillions.com/reviews/b...fer-ea-reviews

http://www.allquests.com/question/40...-or-STF-2.html

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1285276

...oh...and no more than $200 too.

Thanks, Brian
post #98 of 112 Old 12-30-2010, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06S2k02Si View Post

Thanks...really!

Thanks again, Brian

You're welcome.

Most of the ones I listed are from decent manufacturers so they aren't the least expensive out there, that's for sure. And those are the smaller units; some of those companies sell some pretty $$ stuff.

post #99 of 112 Old 02-10-2011, 08:49 PM

I have a pair of Audioengine A2's set up through my iMac with a HRT Music Streamer II+. I like them because they are relatively small but with the DAC, they give me great sound when listening to my iTunes collection, especially the HD Tracks downloaded in Hi-Res.

I'm sure the A5's or Swans would sound better, but again I like the small size, especially in a small room.
post #100 of 112 Old 02-11-2011, 07:26 PM

Jim,
Did u ever get a chance to listen to the m50. I am on the fence between the M50 and
M20. Would like to know if the value is there. Just music in computer room

Thanks,
Jim

Vandy
post #101 of 112 Old 02-12-2011, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Vandy;

No, I've never had the opportunity to hear the M50W. Yet. I say "yet" because one of my neighbors might be getting a set, and if they do I'll be able to hear them in person.

It's a husband and wife. He's been playing the bass guitar in local bar bands for over 30 years. She's a bit of an "appearance" type of person, so style means a lot to her. When I got the M20's I had them over for a listen, and they both fell in love; he for the musical clarity, she for the gorgeous cabinetry. However, they needed something a bit bigger, so in late November of last year they ordered the M50W instead of the M20W (from the same place I purchased them from, Trax Audio). Trax had none left at that point, but they were in the process of placing a big order with Swans so they were going to add a few sets to keep in stock.

My neighbor emailed Trax just this week because she hadn't gotten them yet (they were supposed to be available by the end of January). They said there was a problem with the shipment and it would be at least another 3 months, so she cancelled the order. I found that The Audio Insider was now stocking the M50W, which they weren't doing last year, so she's going to contact those folks.

If The Audio Insider does have them she'll probably get a set. If that happens then I can hear them with my own 2 ears and will be able to answer your question definitively. However, I can probably give some advice based upon my own experience.

The M20W sounds great, no question. It could use just a touch more on the top and bottom ends though. Nothing critical mind you, but probably a little to finish out the sound. The M50W adds a tweeter, so the top end should be taken care of. For the bottom end the M50W's subwoofer speaker is bigger, the cabinet is larger, the amp more powerful and it has a port. I can only imagine the differences are quite pronounced.

Having a bit of a discerning ear myself means I tend towards quality components whenever the wallet allows. What I get from the M20W's is rather impressive, so I believe the M50W will be impressive+. Personally, I can't see any downside to the larger system, budget permitting of course.

post #102 of 112 Old 02-12-2011, 10:51 AM

Thanks, I will be looking into buying the m50w. The blue sky ex02 looked interesting but I believe the swans are a much better value. The new H4 sat is also coming soon from Swan and that might change things if the budget holds.

Thanks again,
Vandy

Vandy
post #103 of 112 Old 03-29-2011, 06:25 PM

Jim,

Did you by chance get a chance to hear the M50W yet? I am very interested in these speakers and would love to hear your thoughts.

I've never experience FULL audio until now. I never knew what I was missing. WOW what a difference.
post #104 of 112 Old 03-29-2011, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Unfortunately, no I haven't. My neighbor contacted Audio Insider and they too were out of stock at the time, and I don't believe she ever pursued it beyond that. I'll have to check with them when I get back though (I'm on a business trip this week) and let you know what they ultimately decided to do.

post #105 of 112 Old 03-29-2011, 07:04 PM

I have the M50w system...I did a review of them on overclock.net (RedWorm)

I absolutely love them, best 300 bucks I've spent in awhile.
post #106 of 112 Old 03-30-2011, 12:47 AM

Thanks chmccorkle, I just finished reading the review thread. Sounds like they are quite good for computer speakers.

My only concern is the lack of bass output below the 38hz mark. 38hz isn't bad, but I'd prefer <=30hz for music. I am very eclectic in my listening -- everything from hip-hop (not that much) to rock to country.

After getting my HT system setup with 2 subs that will both hit below 30hz, I started listening to some music just to see how everything sounded. Because I have never had a system capable of playing the lower frequencies, I was blown away at how much music I was missing. I heard stuff that I never knew existed.

My computer speakers (altec lansing ACS 48's that I've owned forever) I had never heard this music. I obviously don't have very good ear phones either since I didn't here it there either.

If you listen to Linkin Park, Waiting For The End (from the A Thousand Suns album) you should be able to hear some pretty low bass at the 2:41 mark. That song has good base all over, but they go even lower at 2:41. I had never heard this before.

So anyway, my point is that I want speakers, specifically the sub that will hit those lower frequencies with some authority. Unfortunately, I don't know what frequency range that song has, so I'm only "hoping" it will hit those notes. I think my ACS48's were supposed to go to 35hz, though, I have no idea if they do or not -- but I doubt it.

Anyway, I think I need to keep researching and see if I can come up with something that I know will meet my needs.

I've never experience FULL audio until now. I never knew what I was missing. WOW what a difference.
post #107 of 112 Old 03-31-2011, 05:21 PM

I am curious to now more about the $50 Gizmo amp and other amps like it. I would like a way to listen to Pandora from my Iphone on a pair of Bose 301 series IV speakers I have had sitting around unused for too long. I have had my eye on the Audioengine A5's for some time waiting for a significant sale. But everytime I look them up on Google Shopping a bunch of sites will go down to $325 and never lower. Its as if Audioengine mandates a lower sale limit, I dont get it. I have been checking on these prices for months and the $325 will not change.
post #108 of 112 Old 04-01-2011, 03:25 PM

Any Ideas?
post #109 of 112 Old 04-05-2011, 04:19 PM

bump
post #110 of 112 Old 04-05-2011, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm not certain if Audioengine has a minimum pricing policy, or if the Gizmo amp is decent, so I'm afraid I can't help much there. That being said... I suspect if the lowest you've seen the A5's for is $325 then perhaps there is something like that in place.

However, I've found on occasion that you can call/email a distributor and negotiate a better price. Sometimes they're willing to do that because they aren't technically violating any minimum advertised pricing policy by selling you a product at a price they never advertised. I wouldn't expect miracles though; $325 for the A5 doesn't sound all that bad to me.

As far as using a small amp to power speakers goes... I went that route when I tried to use a Pyle (of sh#t) amp to drive a set of Orb Audio Classic Two speakers. Among several shortcomings of the Pyle amp was the fact that it made an awful hiss in the speakers due to it's pathetic amplifier section (it has a ghastly THD of 1%). I'm not familiar with the Gizmo amp, so I can't say for certain if that would do the same thing, but if it's a similar product then it may be worth a bit more research before making a purchase. If you're going to buy the A5's anyway, would you still even need the Gizmo?

post #111 of 112 Old 04-05-2011, 05:25 PM

I'm going to guess the price never goes down.

On another note, I was searching (as I always do) for used speakers and came across some Dell/Altec Lansing ADA995 (5.1) speakers for $65. They were made in 2001 I believe. I did some research and the sub is rated at 38Hz to 150Hz. However, they are rated at 94watts RMS, and the enclosure made of wood and houses 2x6.5" woofers.

I really have no need for a 5.1 system, but I thought for the $$ I could always sell them if they turned out to not be very good. Well after hooking them up, I can say it was $65 well spent dollars. These are very loud, and sound really good. The highs are a bit on the bright side, but not too bad. They are brighter than my ACS 48's for sure, but the bass on these is absolutely amazing. A bit boomy if the volume is up too high on them, but otherwise they sound very good, especially at lower volumes. They also play the LFE with a lot more authority. The previously mentioned song sounds great on these, so despite the higher quoted frequency range, they play everything better down to that range. I played some test tones and without a measuring device I would say that 38 hz is where it starts to fall off. I could hear tones down to 30hz, but it was getting quiet at that point. All in all, I think a good buy for the money.

So what this tells me is that if the Swam M50W can play to 38hz, it would be an awesome set of speakers for music listening. I would bet they aren't as bright as these and would probably sound more full. I think I may still try and get some when I have some more $$ just because I think I would love the fuller sound of them. For now I have eq'd 12khz, 14khz, and 16khz down some which helped quite a bit.

Anyway, just thought I'd post what I actually did.

If anyone else gets to hear the M50W, please post your thoughts.

post #112 of 112 Old 04-06-2011, 09:18 AM

Some good things to think about (a price negotiated lower than advertised limit and %THD on the small Amps) Thanks Jim
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page