Need help deciding on speakers for Pioneer VSX-33 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 10-22-2010, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just brought home Pioneer’s VSX-33 receiver. I could use some info/help as I try to decide what speakers to go with.

I would like to go with a full 7.1 speaker set.
$2000 is the upper limit of my budget.
I am using this primarily for HT with some music thrown in.
From the Pioneer VSX-33 spec sheet: "110 Watts x 7 Advanced Direct Energy Amplification (20Hz – 20kHz, 8 ohms, 0.08% THD – FTC)"

The spec sheet for the VSX-33 is HERE in case the extra info might be helpful.

I had the suggestion from a friend to start wth two floor speakers and augment them with a 5.1 speaker set from Bose. I do not know enough about speakers to make an informed decision about such a recommendation. Is there another set-up I should be considering more? If you think the suggestion would be a good set-up, then what floor speakers would be a good compliment? Any and all thoughts are welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-22-2010, 11:05 PM

Need to be a little more specific on your room size in cubic ft, are you after towers or bookshelf Bipolar or direct radiating and in that 2grand does this include the price of the subwoofer? If so what are you looking for in a sub? Ported or sealed and do you want something that will pressurize your room so you can feel it or do you just want to be able to hear the lows?
post #3 of 3 Old 10-22-2010, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltwincustoms View Post

Need to be a little more specific on your room size in cubic ft, are you after towers or bookshelf Bipolar or direct radiating and in that 2grand does this include the price of the subwoofer? If so what are you looking for in a sub? Ported or sealed and do you want something that will pressurize your room so you can feel it or do you just want to be able to hear the lows?

Wow, great questions. If I had spent as much time reading up on speakers as I did the rest of my HT gear, I would have understood more of that.

The room is irregular. It essentially consists of two rooms one larger (10 ft x 18 feet) and one smaller (8 ft x 10 ft) connected together.

I envisioned two towers with a set of 5.1 speakers to support it, but I could be easily swayed away from that vision by anyone with a good argument.

2 grand does include the sub, but I might be able to bump my budget up to 2500 (2k is preferable though). I am a bit of a speaker noob, so I do not know exactly what I should be looking for in my sub and I do not appreciate the practical differences that come with a ported or sealed sub. Hearing the lows would be more important that feeling it. But, with that said I would like a sub that would allow the occasional explosion or gunshot to be felt (that kind of surprise always puts a smile on my face).
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page