Speaker Choices for an Outdoor Theater? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 10-31-2010, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've packed up my outdoor theater for the winter but I want to upgrade my current audio setup before spring. I have a budget of $800 - $1000 for a PA system setup but I have no idea what is the best equipment for my budget? My current receiver is a Kenwood model VR7070.

The audio gear won't be left out in the elements so I'm not concerened about weather resistent speakers.

I've been looking at the following two choices:

Peavey PA System with 18" sub.
B52 PA System with sub.

I typically have around 50 people per showing so I had a few questions.

1. Are the systems listed above big enough or are they too big?
2. Will my current receiver work?
3. What other components do I need if any?
4. Are these two setups ideal for movies or is there a better choice?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-Paul

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-31-2010, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

Here are the two systems I'm currently looking at:

Peavey PR15N Loudspeaker with Peavey PV118 Subwoofer.

B-52 Matrix-1000 V2 700W Active 3-Piece Speaker System

-Paul

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old 10-31-2010, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Does your AVR have pre-amp outs? If not you can't use active speakers. And even if it does, the speakers would have to accept RCA and/or have adjustable input sensitivity.

Are you wanting to do full surround or just the front stage?

What are the listening distances? How loud do you want the sound?

FWIW no pro sound sub in that budget will play very low, but one option is to build a Tuba home theater horn sub for about $400. Should give you extension to about 30hz in 1/2 space.
post #4 of 10 Old 10-31-2010, 09:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 30
Quote:

I have a budget of $800 - $1000 for a PA system setup but I have no idea what is the best equipment for my budget?

There have been some incredible DIY PA designs built for that price range. You just have to follow instructions!

Your DIY solution would be like owning QSC HPR-152i speakers....

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #5 of 10 Old 11-01-2010, 04:42 AM - Thread Starter

My receiver does have pre-outs.

I'd would love to do full surround but I wasn't sure I could do it for the price. I assumed for my budget I would need to stick with a 2.1 setup.

The listening distances are between 30-60 feet.

I need it loud enough to hear it outdoors with around 50 adults (and children who like to talk during the movie).

Thanks,
-Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve71 View Post

Does your AVR have pre-amp outs? If not you can't use active speakers. And even if it does, the speakers would have to accept RCA and/or have adjustable input sensitivity.

Are you wanting to do full surround or just the front stage?

What are the listening distances? How loud do you want the sound?

FWIW no pro sound sub in that budget will play very low, but one option is to build a Tuba home theater horn sub for about $400. Should give you extension to about 30hz in 1/2 space.

post #6 of 10 Old 11-01-2010, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Your Kenwood VR7070 is somewhat dated in that it does not have HDMI inputs and does not have the latest Codecs for the uncompressed sound on Blu-ray. I just replaced my VR7070 with a new receiver that has those features. For your application, you may not need those features.

The Tuba HT subwoofer (~$450) gives exceptional performance, is large 2' x 3' x 3' in the basic version, heavy (i.e., hard to move around easily) and does take some woodworking skills to build. The amplification is extra (with the Behringer EP2500 or EP4000 being two of the recommended amplifiers). It is sufficiently loud that visits from police may be an issue.
post #7 of 10 Old 11-01-2010, 05:43 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback,

What did you replace you VR7070 with?

Thanks,
-Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwinkler View Post

Your Kenwood VR7070 is somewhat dated in that it does not have HDMI inputs and does not have the latest Codecs for the uncompressed sound on Blu-ray. I just replaced my VR7070 with a new receiver that has those features. For your application, you may not need those features.

The Tuba HT subwoofer (~$450) gives exceptional performance, is large 2' x 3' x 3' in the basic version, heavy (i.e., hard to move around easily) and does take some woodworking skills to build. The amplification is extra (with the Behringer EP2500 or EP4000 being two of the recommended amplifiers). It is sufficiently loud that visits from police may be an issue.

post #8 of 10 Old 11-01-2010, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Here's what I used for sound last summer.

It won't necessarily fall in your budget...it will depend in part on some luck and putting other parts together.

I bought the two bass bins for $200 total. My real expense is in the top horn (about $1,000) however, 2 weekends ago, I pulled all this outside and tried it as a 2-way with the large horn playing with the bottom horns and two versions of a 3-way.

First 3-way version was with the LaScala sitting on top and the second 3-way setup was with the LaScala rewired, bypassing the mid/high horns and using ONLY the woofer more as a mid-bass unit before handing off to the large horn on top.

With an active crossover, I was able to have all wired up and with some presaved programs, change between the two or three way setups.

Just showing this to throw some different thoughts.

At 52' I was hitting 114db peaks on my 100% perfectly accurate RS SPL meter

You could build or watchout for some bass bins like this and buy some beater LaScalas and have a killer outdoor system.

Have a lot of friends though because it's a back-killer to move
LL
LL
post #9 of 10 Old 11-01-2010, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
"What did you replace you VR7070 with?"

I replaced the VR7070 with the Onkyo HT-RC260 (got a good price) that is apparently almost the same as the Onkyo TX-SR608 but lacks one HDMI input and the ability to hook up satellite radio. The 608 is THX certified but does not have pre-outs and, according to individuals in the 608 forum, the RC260 has the identical amplifier (but Onkyo did not pay the fee for THX certification). If you need pre-outs, then you need the Onkyo TX-SR708 (or some other more expensive receiver with pre-outs). I purchased the HT-RC260 after noticing how much clearer the sound was on one of my other HT systems (where I had used a receiver with new Codecs to replace my Kenwood VR9070.) It is much more convenient having a few HDMI connections into the receiver with one HDMI from the receiver to the television than a bunch of HDMI connections to the TV and three optical connections into a switching box and then connecting to the TV.
post #10 of 10 Old 11-01-2010, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolsmith View Post

My receiver does have pre-outs.

I'd would love to do full surround but I wasn't sure I could do it for the price. I assumed for my budget I would need to stick with a 2.1 setup.

The listening distances are between 30-60 feet.

I need it loud enough to hear it outdoors with around 50 adults (and children who like to talk during the movie).

Thanks,
-Paul

Well if great bass is a priority, then a DIY 30" wide THT or two 24" wide versions would be a great start. Is DIY an option?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1196669

As for speakers, I'd go check out guitar center or used on Craig's List. Depending on what you end up with you may or may not need an external amplifier. Overall though, you may have to increase your budget a bit as the THT will eat up about 1/2 or more.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page