DynAudio X12 vs. MonitorAudio Silver RX2 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Dynaudio or MonitorAudio
Dynaudio X12 1 100.00%
MonitorAudio Silver RX2 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 11-03-2010, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
adityaag82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am trying to decide between getting one of the following speakers:

Dynaudio Excite X12
MonitorAudio Silver RX2

(Sorry, trying to post links but this is my first post :/)

I am mostly planning on using these to listen to electronic music (house, techno), jazz and some HDTV (surround sound isn't a big deal).

Any tips/advice on which is a better choice?

Also, the receiver I am planning on getting is the Outlaw RR2150

Thanks!
adityaag82 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 24 Old 04-08-2011, 08:23 PM
Member
 
big_himey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Terrible no one replied to this earlier.

I hope you bought the Dyns. : )
big_himey is offline  
post #3 of 24 Old 04-10-2011, 06:38 PM
Advanced Member
 
Stealthlude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 966
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
electronic music (house, techno), ....

Its probably out of your price range... but its what I listen to as well, and you need to listen to that music on a pair of Monitor Audio GS10 speakers. Gold vs Silver is like night and day, and the gold puts the x12 dyns to shame with the above style of music.

Got iSCSI?
Stealthlude is offline  
post #4 of 24 Old 04-10-2011, 11:47 PM
Senior Member
 
tigerstripe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 337
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by adityaag82 View Post

I am trying to decide between getting one of the following speakers:

Dynaudio Excite X12
MonitorAudio Silver RX2

(Sorry, trying to post links but this is my first post :/)

I am mostly planning on using these to listen to electronic music (house, techno), jazz and some HDTV (surround sound isn't a big deal).

Any tips/advice on which is a better choice?

Also, the receiver I am planning on getting is the Outlaw RR2150

Thanks!

This is a no brainer I would go for the Dynaudio Excite X12 speakers. My friend owns both and I have listened to both time to time, both are similar in the midrange but the treble of Dyn is more dedicated and detailed. The X12 speakers are also more neutral and balanced than the RX's. If you judge also by graphs and test reports, the X12's give you a much flatter response curve with lower distortion than the RX's too.

Besides, Dynaudio speakers are handcrafted in Denmark while MA speakers are made in China which I can tell it's a night and day difference. The craftsmanship of Monitor Audio speakers is no way compared to Dynaudio speakers, and the used prices of Dynaudio speakers reflect this well. I own a factory in China and know how speakers are produced. The quality of MA speakers is achieved by extensive quality control that still misses sometimes (as you can occasionally find quality issues regarding MA speakers), while the quality of Dynaudio speakers is by European craftsmanship. It's a night and day difference, and you American people may not know it, but I can tell you there is no 2nd hand market for Monitor Audio Silver or Bronze speakers in Hong Kong and China.

Certainly your final decision will be down to your personal preference after you demo them side by side. But I do recommend you listen to the GS and the GX series since only the gold and the platinum series people in Hong Kong and China would accept as reasonable quality speakers ...
tigerstripe is offline  
post #5 of 24 Old 04-11-2011, 01:23 AM
Advanced Member
 
Stealthlude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 966
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I don't even give the Excite speakers that much credit... While there better than the Silver Series, they dont even hold a candle to the Gold.

The minimum I would buy from Dyn is the Focus line.
The minumum I would buy from MA is the Gold.
But thats just my opinion... and for the record I personally find the GS series MUCH better for electronic, house, trance, and hip-hop/rap.

The Dyns however do sound better with things that I dont listen to. My girlfriend could tell you why; because thats her brand of choice.

I can care less where the speaker is made, or who made it. If the chinese dude made something that sounds better to my ears, thats what im going to buy. The Dyns could have been made from unobtanium and assembled on the internation space station, that fact alone doesnt mean its a better speaker.

Got iSCSI?
Stealthlude is offline  
post #6 of 24 Old 04-16-2011, 12:15 PM
Senior Member
 
tigerstripe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 337
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthlude View Post

I don't even give the Excite speakers that much credit... While there better than the Silver Series, they dont even hold a candle to the Gold.

The minimum I would buy from Dyn is the Focus line.
The minumum I would buy from MA is the Gold.
But thats just my opinion... and for the record I personally find the GS series MUCH better for electronic, house, trance, and hip-hop/rap.

The Dyns however do sound better with things that I dont listen to. My girlfriend could tell you why; because thats her brand of choice.

I can care less where the speaker is made, or who made it. If the chinese dude made something that sounds better to my ears, thats what im going to buy. The Dyns could have been made from unobtanium and assembled on the internation space station, that fact alone doesnt mean its a better speaker.

The GS speakers are fast, transparent, dynamic and detailed. Soundstage is large and open as well. My only complaint is that they are quite bright - the GS20s are too bright and harsh when presenting most of my instrumental CDs. For the GS series, I only considered the GS60s, but at the end I went for the Dynaudio C1s for my HT as they are neutral, more musical and have bigger soundstage and give me deeper and warmer bass with overall better control than the GS60s.

Regarding the quality issue, high end speakers are usually handcrafted and thus the quality depends heavily on the individual skills. I guess it is logical to assume speakers handcrafted in Europe have higher overall quality than those handcrafted in China ...
tigerstripe is offline  
post #7 of 24 Old 04-16-2011, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
MUDCAT45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,357
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerstripe View Post

The GS speakers are fast, transparent, dynamic and detailed. Soundstage is large and open as well. My only complaint is that they are quite bright - the GS20s are too bright and harsh when presenting most of my instrumental CDs. For the GS series, I only considered the GS60s, but at the end I went for the Dynaudio C1s for my HT as they are neutral, more musical and have bigger soundstage and give me deeper and warmer bass with overall better control than the GS60s.

Regarding the quality issue, high end speakers are usually handcrafted and thus the quality depends heavily on the individual skills. I guess it is logical to assume speakers handcrafted in Europe have higher overall quality than those handcrafted in China ...

And cars made in Japan have more quality than those made in Europe. Simply made in Europe does not always mean best quality.
MUDCAT45 is offline  
post #8 of 24 Old 04-16-2011, 11:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Garman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: The Moon
Posts: 4,642
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthlude View Post

I don't even give the Excite speakers that much credit... While there better than the Silver Series, they dont even hold a candle to the Gold.

The minimum I would buy from Dyn is the Focus line.
The minumum I would buy from MA is the Gold.
But thats just my opinion... and for the record I personally find the GS series MUCH better for electronic, house, trance, and hip-hop/rap.

The Dyns however do sound better with things that I dont listen to. My girlfriend could tell you why; because thats her brand of choice.

I can care less where the speaker is made, or who made it. If the chinese dude made something that sounds better to my ears, thats what im going to buy. The Dyns could have been made from unobtanium and assembled on the internation space station, that fact alone doesnt mean its a better speaker.

I have heard both, and I am sure I am biased as hell, but I use to sell both lines and I would take the X12 over the MA Golds on sound and build quality. To me Monitor Audio has always sounded bright, hence there tweeter design. But bottom line if one sounds better to you then that is the speaker for you, and where it is made in some instances it does matter. European/Canadian and yes even some US companies still have better QC in place on top of Environmental laws which factor in cost etc.. I suppose in the vacuum of space we wouldn't have to worry about that!

Dynaudio Excite Won "Budget Speaker of the Year" from several publications which is rare, regardless it comes down with "What your Ear" likes! So to the OP, listen to both and choose one. As I am sure the mud slinging in here with get lengthy!
Garman is offline  
post #9 of 24 Old 04-16-2011, 11:34 PM
Senior Member
 
tigerstripe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 337
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDCAT45 View Post

And cars made in Japan have more quality than those made in Europe. Simply made in Europe does not always mean best quality.

People certainly know items made in Japan have higher quality in general. I am talking about items *hand made* in China vs items *hand made* in Europe.

Locally in the Chinese community Dynaudio speakers are considered one of the most popular top tier speakers among audiophiles, yet there is no discussion concerning the quality of Dynaudio speakers in the local forums. Speakers from MA and Proac etc are considered 3rd to 4th tier speakers here and while there are very few discussions on these speakers, quality issues are topics quite common in the discussions ... Speaker factories are all very small scale no matter where they are located, but if you could compare a Chinese speaker factory with a European speaker factory owned by some famous brands, you will understand what I mean. There is no soap in the toilets and pantries of Chinese speaker factories, and the carpenters usually have no shoe and glove to wear and you can't even buy a single iPod with their monthly salary. Why would one expect their craftsmanship and skills on a par with an European carpenter working in a proper environment? Speakers made in China mostly have 1 year of warranty only, yet Dynaudio provides 5 years of warranty. As I mentioned before, the quality of Chinese made speakers is achieved by tight QC, yet the quality of Dynaudio speakers is achieved by outstanding craftsmanship. Just compare the build quality of the flagship MA platinum speakers with the budget Dynaudio Excite speakers - there is still some quality gap between the two if you are carefully enough.

The MA GS60s, PL200s and PL300s are great sounding speakers, but quality wise I don't think further debate is necessary. I am a 100% Chinese born in HK China, grew up in HK China, studied in HK China and I am now working in HK China, so you should know my above statements are not due to racism.
mustachesound likes this.
tigerstripe is offline  
post #10 of 24 Old 04-17-2011, 12:05 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Garman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: The Moon
Posts: 4,642
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerstripe View Post

People certainly know items made in Japan have higher quality in general. I am talking about items *hand made* in China vs items *hand made* in Europe.

Locally in the Chinese community Dynaudio speakers are considered one of the most popular top tier speakers among audiophiles, yet there is no discussion concerning the quality of Dynaudio speakers in the local forums. Speakers from MA and Proac etc are considered 3rd to 4th tier speakers here and while there are very few discussions on these speakers, quality issues are topics quite common in the discussions ... Speaker factories are all very small scale no matter where they are located, but if you could compare a Chinese speaker factory with a European speaker factory owned by some famous brands, you will understand what I mean. There is no soap in the toilets and pantries of Chinese speaker factories, and the carpenters usually have no shoe and glove to wear and you can't even buy a single iPod with their monthly salary. Why would one expect their craftsmanship and skills on a par with an European carpenter working in a proper environment? Speakers made in China mostly have 1 year of warranty only, yet Dynaudio provides 5 years of warranty. As I mentioned before, the quality of Chinese made speakers is achieved by tight QC, yet the quality of Dynaudio speakers is achieved by outstanding craftsmanship. Just compare the build quality of the flagship MA platinum speakers with the budget Dynaudio Excite speakers - there is still some quality gap between the two if you are carefully enough.

The MA GS60s, PL200s and PL300s are great sounding speakers, but quality wise I don't think further debate is necessary. I am a 100% Chinese born in HK China, grew up in HK China, studied in HK China and I am now working in HK China, so you should know my above statements are not due to racism.

Great post, also which is rare most of the parts including the glue Dynaudio makes. To me there speakers are like works of Art and on top of it they sound great to my ears!

Case and point to the everyone says they sound great; everyone has been raving about the new speakers from Sandy Gross, who use to own Definitive Tech, now "Golden Ear" I listened to several of them and thought they were horrible. I am sure there are plenty of people who think there great, I think they are re bagged Definitives. But I agree with you on QC and sound quality, I think Dynaudio are among the best. For your viewing pleasure!

http://www.dynaudio.com/eng/company/factory.php#
Garman is offline  
post #11 of 24 Old 04-18-2011, 06:03 PM
Member
 
big_himey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthlude View Post

I don't even give the Excite speakers that much credit... While there better than the Silver Series, they dont even hold a candle to the Gold.

The minimum I would buy from Dyn is the Focus line.
The minumum I would buy from MA is the Gold.
But thats just my opinion... and for the record I personally find the GS series MUCH better for electronic, house, trance, and hip-hop/rap.

The Dyns however do sound better with things that I dont listen to. My girlfriend could tell you why; because thats her brand of choice.

I can care less where the speaker is made, or who made it. If the chinese dude made something that sounds better to my ears, thats what im going to buy. The Dyns could have been made from unobtanium and assembled on the internation space station, that fact alone doesnt mean its a better speaker.

I also sell and have owned both. Dynaudio are that much a better product than the MAs, I consider this fellow to be recommending a Daewoo over a Rolls Royce, then stating that it is his opinion. In this case, his opinion is wrong. It doesn't matter what you listen to, the Dyns are a more neutral, better designed and produced product. If you love techno, dance or anything of the sort, as this poster does, you should demo the Dyns. I like all of the above. The Dyns are hands down better; to the ear, on a graph, by build, you name it.

If this fellow likes the MAs, good for him. But, there are those that also love Daewoos.
big_himey is offline  
post #12 of 24 Old 04-18-2011, 07:20 PM
Member
 
dhoff01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I'm sorry, but using the analogy of comparing a Daewoo to a Roll Royce when talking Monitor Audios vs Dynaudio is ridiculous. They both are quality speakers with a nice range of comparable product lines.

As a side note, I compared the Dynaudio Focus 220 side-by-side with the Monitor Audio RX6, and to my ears, I actually preferred the Monitor Audios. I found the Dyns bass to be slow and slightly muddy, and the highs were a bit edgy for my tastes. The MAs had a little more punch to them. I admit that I liked the Dyns voicing and sound stage, but the weak bass and edgy tweeter was too much of a deterrent for me. In the end I actually chose neither brand and went with something else.

The only real way to see what you like is to put your own ears to the test. Everyone has their own opinion, but the one with the wallet is the only one that matters..
dhoff01 is offline  
post #13 of 24 Old 04-18-2011, 08:05 PM
Senior Member
 
Zetherin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 206
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhoff01 View Post

Everyone has their own opinion, but the one with the wallet is the only one that matters..

I think their point, however, is that, while sound preference may be matter of opinion, build quality, design, and neutrality is not. These are matters of fact. And though a person may prefer a product of lesser quality, this does not make the lesser quality product comparable to a higher quality product. Some people simply cannot appreciate quality.

Lastly, it would be in error to think that everyone's opinion matters. Everyone's opinion does not matter; some people have not a clue what they're talking about, regardless of the subject matter, and in many cases it's completely fair to ignore them. I also think that, when talking about audio equipment, people overblow the subjective nature of auditory perception and willfully ignore that which is objective in order to appease themselves (generally because of financial limitations).
Zetherin is offline  
post #14 of 24 Old 04-18-2011, 09:11 PM
Senior Member
 
tigerstripe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 337
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhoff01 View Post
I'm sorry, but using the analogy of comparing a Daewoo to a Roll Royce when talking Monitor Audios vs Dynaudio is ridiculous. They both are quality speakers with a nice range of comparable product lines.

As a side note, I compared the Dynaudio Focus 220 side-by-side with the Monitor Audio RX6, and to my ears, I actually preferred the Monitor Audios. I found the Dyns bass to be slow and slightly muddy, and the highs were a bit edgy for my tastes. The MAs had a little more punch to them. I admit that I liked the Dyns voicing and sound stage, but the weak bass and edgy tweeter was too much of a deterrent for me. In the end I actually chose neither brand and went with something else.

The only real way to see what you like is to put your own ears to the test. Everyone has their own opinion, but the one with the wallet is the only one that matters..
Actually this is the 1st time I hear Dynaudio highs are edgy. Their tweeters are famous for neutral, smooth and delicate sounding, while Monitor Audio speakers are well known for bright and edgy treble in nearly all their ranges. Monitor Audio speakers are also well known for being quite fast as well but being fast isn't good for music unless you listen mostly to rock and pop music or use the speakers mostly for movie watching and gaming.

The muddy bass from the Dynaudio you experienced are probably because the demo room was too small for the Dynaudio. Dynaudio Focus 220s have far deeper bass output and dig much deeper than the RX6s and in a medium sized room that the RX6s excel at, the Focus 220s will certainly boom and affect the midrange. Remember that the Dynaudio Focus 220s and Monitor Audio RX6s are in totally different leagues, and you will need a better and larger environment for the better Focus line to sound their best. If you compared the Monitor Audio PL300s with the RX6s in the same room you mentioned, I suppose the PL300s will experience the same issues as the Focus did but that doesn't make the RX6s better speakers than the PL300s, right?
tigerstripe is offline  
post #15 of 24 Old 04-19-2011, 02:31 AM
Member
 
dhoff01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
"And though a person may prefer a product of lesser quality, this does not make the lesser quality product comparable to a higher quality product. Some people simply cannot appreciate quality."

Wow. That's a bold statement. And in my opinion, that's just hogwash. First, although I won't knock the build quality of Dynaudios, we're not comparing them to say Bose Audio. MAs are not that cheaply made. And second, there are many well built speakers out there that, for the money, sound poor to my ears. Take B&W for instance. Or better yet, Paradigm. I spent extensive hours listening to their top end speaker with the beryllium tweeter, and I have to say, I just didn't like it. And that's the experience I had with the Dynaudios. So does that mean I "simply cannot appreciate quality?" Please.

"The muddy bass from the Dynaudio you experienced are probably because the demo room was too small for the Dynaudio." Not true at all. The room was 15x20, the speakers were placed at least 4 feet from the back wall and properly positioned. Equipment was BAT (tube preamp, tube phono stage, SS amp) and a VPI Aries 3 TT (with a Shelter 501mkII cartridge). Room was well treated with bass traps, panels, etc. So there was nothing lacking in the room except punchy bass from the Dynaudio's.

Look, I'm not here to knock Dynaudio's (or to champion MAs). I'm cool with others disagreeing about the sound quality of a certain speaker. I found them to be muddy and edgy; you think they're smooth and delicate. Our ears are clearly tuned differently, and I respect that point. But all these blanket statements that one speaker is hands down better than another and, if you think differently, then you don't know sh*t from shinola, well... they're simply incredibly misleading IMO.
dhoff01 is offline  
post #16 of 24 Old 04-19-2011, 03:07 AM
Senior Member
 
tigerstripe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 337
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhoff01 View Post
"And though a person may prefer a product of lesser quality, this does not make the lesser quality product comparable to a higher quality product. Some people simply cannot appreciate quality."

Wow. That's a bold statement. And in my opinion, that's just hogwash. First, although I won't knock the build quality of Dynaudios, we're not comparing them to say Bose Audio. MAs are not that cheaply made. And second, there are many well built speakers out there that, for the money, sound poor to my ears. Take B&W for instance. Or better yet, Paradigm. I spent extensive hours listening to their top end speaker with the beryllium tweeter, and I have to say, I just didn't like it. And that's the experience I had with the Dynaudios. So does that mean I "simply cannot appreciate quality?" Please.

"The muddy bass from the Dynaudio you experienced are probably because the demo room was too small for the Dynaudio." Not true at all. The room was 15x20, the speakers were placed at least 4 feet from the back wall and properly positioned. Equipment was BAT (tube preamp, tube phono stage, SS amp) and a VPI Aries 3 TT (with a Shelter 501mkII cartridge). Room was well treated with bass traps, panels, etc. So there was nothing lacking in the room except punchy bass from the Dynaudio's.

Look, I'm not here to knock Dynaudio's (or to champion MAs). I'm cool with others disagreeing about the sound quality of a certain speaker. I found them to be muddy and edgy; you think they're smooth and delicate. Our ears are clearly tuned differently, and I respect that point. But all these blanket statements that one speaker is hands down better than another and, if you think differently, then you don't know sh*t from shinola, well... they're simply incredibly misleading IMO.
May I know how many pairs of Dynaudio speakers you have auditioned before? It is not me who think Dynaudio have smooth, neutral and delicate treble while the MA speakers lean toward the bright and edgy side - do a google search and you can see almost all user comments and professional reviews say the same. Their tweeters are one of the most famous and most respected tweeters in the world. So perhaps only your ears are tuned differently from the rest of people, and don't worry I do respect that.

Also as a matter of fact Dynaudio Focus 220s dig deeper than the RX6s both on specs and in my auditions. The entry budget model Dynaudio Excite X32 floorstanders already sound much better than the Silver RX6s and people will compare them only with the Monitor Audio Gold Signature speakers, and now you say the midrange model Focus 220s are not on a par with the RX6s. While different people do have difference in preferences, there are facts that won't change no matter what your personal preferences are.

I am sorry if I offend you but your statements and opinions just deviated too much from the truth. The only explanation is that perhaps it is the equipment that made the difference you experienced. I have no experience with the equipment you mentioned but please note that speakers in the same league as the Focus 220s will desire the equipment in the same league to sound their best. Using the equipment that sounds well with the RX6s will unlikely be able to properly unleash the potentials of the MA GS60s and the Focus 220s. The legendary Dynaudio Confidence C1s may sound poorer than the RX6s too if you use RX6s equipment to drive them.

Finally may I know if the dealer sells more MA speakers than Dynaudio speakers? It is a common trickery where dishonest dealers makes an A/B demo of a lesser speaker pair next to an obvious better speakers and uses simple tactics to make the better speakers sound worse than the lesser speakers in order to promote their lesser speakers of which they can make more profit out.
tigerstripe is offline  
post #17 of 24 Old 04-19-2011, 03:35 AM
Advanced Member
 
RicardoJoa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Los Angeles, Ca
Posts: 614
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I completly agree with you. We are all born differently so we all have different preference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhoff01 View Post
"And though a person may prefer a product of lesser quality, this does not make the lesser quality product comparable to a higher quality product. Some people simply cannot appreciate quality."

Wow. That's a bold statement. And in my opinion, that's just hogwash. First, although I won't knock the build quality of Dynaudios, we're not comparing them to say Bose Audio. MAs are not that cheaply made. And second, there are many well built speakers out there that, for the money, sound poor to my ears. Take B&W for instance. Or better yet, Paradigm. I spent extensive hours listening to their top end speaker with the beryllium tweeter, and I have to say, I just didn't like it. And that's the experience I had with the Dynaudios. So does that mean I "simply cannot appreciate quality?" Please.

"The muddy bass from the Dynaudio you experienced are probably because the demo room was too small for the Dynaudio." Not true at all. The room was 15x20, the speakers were placed at least 4 feet from the back wall and properly positioned. Equipment was BAT (tube preamp, tube phono stage, SS amp) and a VPI Aries 3 TT (with a Shelter 501mkII cartridge). Room was well treated with bass traps, panels, etc. So there was nothing lacking in the room except punchy bass from the Dynaudio's.

Look, I'm not here to knock Dynaudio's (or to champion MAs). I'm cool with others disagreeing about the sound quality of a certain speaker. I found them to be muddy and edgy; you think they're smooth and delicate. Our ears are clearly tuned differently, and I respect that point. But all these blanket statements that one speaker is hands down better than another and, if you think differently, then you don't know sh*t from shinola, well... they're simply incredibly misleading IMO.
RicardoJoa is offline  
post #18 of 24 Old 04-19-2011, 06:05 AM
Member
 
dhoff01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Thanks Ricardo. That was pretty much my point.

Tiger: I have listened extensively to both the Dynaudio Focus 220s and the new Contour surrounds. I also spent considerable time with other speakers from Phase, Maggies, B&W, Paradigm, Thiel and Focus Audio (the latter of which I purchased). I initially was drawn to the Dynaudios for the very same reasons that you and others profess- I wanted a smoother, airy high that was neither forward nor bright. But after listening for countless hours, when compared to the above, I found them to be edgy. I may be in the minority, but I know enough to trust my own ears.

Regarding the Monitors, they simply were on the floor playing while I was waiting for the Dynaudios to be set up. The dealer was trying to sell me the Dynaudios and didn't even mention the Monitors. And for you to suggest otherwise, or worse to assume I am naive enough to be duped by a salesman, is, quite frankly, extremely offensive.

Finally, please do some research yourself before you speak on other brands. The fact that you've never heard of Balanced Audio Technology or VPI speaks more loudly to me than your rather bold claim that Dynaudio's tweeters are "the most famous and most respected ... in the world."
mustachesound likes this.
dhoff01 is offline  
post #19 of 24 Old 04-19-2011, 08:04 AM
Senior Member
 
tigerstripe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 337
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhoff01 View Post

Thanks Ricardo. That was pretty much my point.

Tiger: I have listened extensively to both the Dynaudio Focus 220s and the new Contour surrounds. I also spent considerable time with other speakers from Phase, Maggies, B&W, Paradigm, Thiel and Focus Audio (the latter of which I purchased). I initially was drawn to the Dynaudios for the very same reasons that you and others profess- I wanted a smoother, airy high that was neither forward nor bright. But after listening for countless hours, when compared to the above, I found them to be edgy. I may be in the minority, but I know enough to trust my own ears.

Regarding the Monitors, they simply were on the floor playing while I was waiting for the Dynaudios to be set up. The dealer was trying to sell me the Dynaudios and didn't even mention the Monitors. And for you to suggest otherwise, or worse to assume I am naive enough to be duped by a salesman, is, quite frankly, extremely offensive.

Finally, please do some research yourself before you speak on other brands. The fact that you've never heard of Balanced Audio Technology or VPI speaks more loudly to me than your rather bold claim that Dynaudio's tweeters are "the most famous and most respected ... in the world."

Well, see my original post again please - i said "one of the most famous and most respected tweeters in the world"

BTW if you have time also research the Focus Audio ...
tigerstripe is offline  
post #20 of 24 Old 04-19-2011, 06:09 PM
Senior Member
 
Zetherin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 206
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhoff01 View Post

Wow. That's a bold statement. And in my opinion, that's just hogwash. First, although I won't knock the build quality of Dynaudios, we're not comparing them to say Bose Audio. MAs are not that cheaply made. And second, there are many well built speakers out there that, for the money, sound poor to my ears. Take B&W for instance. Or better yet, Paradigm. I spent extensive hours listening to their top end speaker with the beryllium tweeter, and I have to say, I just didn't like it. And that's the experience I had with the Dynaudios. So does that mean I "simply cannot appreciate quality?" Please.

No, it does not. But then again, I never said it did. My point, once again, is that it's important to distinguish between high quality and low quality (that which is objective), regardless and independent of personal preference. Though we may prefer a product of low quality, we ought not confuse ourselves by thinking our preference makes the product of a higher quality. That's all.
Zetherin is offline  
post #21 of 24 Old 04-19-2011, 10:14 PM
Senior Member
 
tigerstripe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 337
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetherin View Post

No, it does not. But then again, I never said it did. My point, once again, is that it's important to distinguish between high quality and low quality (that which is objective), regardless and independent of personal preference. Though we may prefer a product of low quality, we ought not confuse ourselves by thinking our preference makes the product of a higher quality. That's all.

that's very true. Indeed I have been active in the internet since the very day internet was invented and this is nothing new to me.

If someone asks "a Lion vs a Chihuahua dog, which one do you prefer?" And some people say they prefer lions, some would answer they prefer Chihuahua. Both answers are absolutely fine as it clearly comes down to personal preferences when choosing either one.

However, if someone says "I have compared a Chihuahua puppy with a lion side by side, and I prefer the puppy because the puppy was stronger, meaner, balder and larger, while the lion was weaker, smaller and slower", this will certainly create some stir and lead to responses that this Chihuahua fanboy finds offensive. People can certainly have preferences, but opinions too far from the truth can hardly be tolerated, especially in this forum where most people are looking for good quality sound within their budget.

I have offered numerous possible explanations to explain why he would think the RX6s appeared better than the the Focus 220s, he rejected all these external reasons and insisted that RX6s are the real champion, and found my explanations (which are all external reasons) "offensive".

To dhoff01: saying the $3300 Focus 220s inferior in sound quality to the $1200 RX6s with absurd reasons is equally offensive to most Dynaudio owners, as you imply they are stupid to pay much more than you and get poorer sound quality than you. Also despite what you claimed, I would recommend you listen to more speakers in real life and speaks with more audiophiles or hifi enthusiasts (whatever you call them) than just googling around and listing information that you thought I did not know, pretending to be an expert of high-end speakers here.
tigerstripe is offline  
post #22 of 24 Old 04-20-2011, 05:27 AM
Member
 
big_himey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetherin View Post

I think their point, however, is that, while sound preference may be matter of opinion, build quality, design, and neutrality is not. These are matters of fact. And though a person may prefer a product of lesser quality, this does not make the lesser quality product comparable to a higher quality product. Some people simply cannot appreciate quality.

Lastly, it would be in error to think that everyone's opinion matters. Everyone's opinion does not matter; some people have not a clue what they're talking about, regardless of the subject matter, and in many cases it's completely fair to ignore them. I also think that, when talking about audio equipment, people overblow the subjective nature of auditory perception and willfully ignore that which is objective in order to appease themselves (generally because of financial limitations).

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerstripe View Post

May I know how many pairs of Dynaudio speakers you have auditioned before? It is not me who think Dynaudio have smooth, neutral and delicate treble while the MA speakers lean toward the bright and edgy side - do a google search and you can see almost all user comments and professional reviews say the same. Their tweeters are one of the most famous and most respected tweeters in the world. So perhaps only your ears are tuned differently from the rest of people, and don't worry I do respect that.

Also as a matter of fact Dynaudio Focus 220s dig deeper than the RX6s both on specs and in my auditions. The entry budget model Dynaudio Excite X32 floorstanders already sound much better than the Silver RX6s and people will compare them only with the Monitor Audio Gold Signature speakers, and now you say the midrange model Focus 220s are not on a par with the RX6s. While different people do have difference in preferences, there are facts that won't change no matter what your personal preferences are.

I am sorry if I offend you but your statements and opinions just deviated too much from the truth. The only explanation is that perhaps it is the equipment that made the difference you experienced. I have no experience with the equipment you mentioned but please note that speakers in the same league as the Focus 220s will desire the equipment in the same league to sound their best. Using the equipment that sounds well with the RX6s will unlikely be able to properly unleash the potentials of the MA GS60s and the Focus 220s. The legendary Dynaudio Confidence C1s may sound poorer than the RX6s too if you use RX6s equipment to drive them.

Finally may I know if the dealer sells more MA speakers than Dynaudio speakers? It is a common trickery where dishonest dealers makes an A/B demo of a lesser speaker pair next to an obvious better speakers and uses simple tactics to make the better speakers sound worse than the lesser speakers in order to promote their lesser speakers of which they can make more profit out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerstripe View Post

that's very true. Indeed I have been active in the internet since the very day internet was invented and this is nothing new to me.

If someone asks "a Lion vs a Chihuahua dog, which one do you prefer?" And some people say they prefer lions, some would answer they prefer Chihuahua. Both answers are absolutely fine as it clearly comes down to personal preferences when choosing either one.

However, if someone says "I have compared a Chihuahua puppy with a lion side by side, and I prefer the puppy because the puppy was stronger, meaner, balder and larger, while the lion was weaker, smaller and slower", this will certainly create some stir and lead to responses that this Chihuahua fanboy finds offensive. People can certainly have preferences, but opinions too far from the truth can hardly be tolerated, especially in this forum where most people are looking for good quality sound within their budget.

I have offered numerous possible explanations to explain why he would think the RX6s appeared better than the the Focus 220s, he rejected all these external reasons and insisted that RX6s are the real champion, and found my explanations (which are all external reasons) "offensive".

To dhoff01: saying the $3300 Focus 220s inferior in sound quality to the $1200 RX6s with absurd reasons is equally offensive to most Dynaudio owners, as you imply they are stupid to pay much more than you and get poorer sound quality than you. Also despite what you claimed, I would recommend you listen to more speakers in real life and speaks with more audiophiles or hifi enthusiasts (whatever you call them) than just googling around and listing information that you thought I did not know, pretending to be an expert of high-end speakers here.

I was trying to be polite with the Rolls Royce analogy.

The above posters have summarised my thoughts on the matter.

I would like to thank them for wording what I could not without anger.
big_himey is offline  
post #23 of 24 Old 04-20-2011, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
beaveav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,720
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 246
tigerstripe, a little modesty goes a long way, especially when one is relatively new to a forum.

Carry on.
mustachesound likes this.

For every new thing I learn, I forget two things I used to know.
beaveav is offline  
post #24 of 24 Old 06-23-2014, 04:06 AM
Newbie
 
elton1955's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
trying to buy

i
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaveav View Post
tigerstripe, a little modesty goes a long way, especially when one is relatively new to a forum.

Carry on.
that's so true i was looking for info to choose between monitor gold gx 50 and dynaudio excite 16 and now i am more confused
elton1955 is offline  
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off