Larger center speaker for Satellite 5.1 setup? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-08-2010, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello All,

I have a Mirage Nanosat 5.1 system but I replaced the sub with a Speaker Company TC-250 (which I love). I'm using the DENON AVR-1610. The only thing lacking know is the center channel. Even though I love my system I really wish the center channel had more sound/range. I'm thinking about replacing it with one of the larger Mirage center speakers but I'm concerned a large center will some how over shadow/unbalance the Front R/L satellite speakers. Should I be concerned or should I roll with it?

Feedback Please
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-08-2010, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
It is best to have a set of speakers across the front soundstage that are from the same line of speakers so they are timbre matched. As long as they are similar. The difference in size should not cause an issue. Any minor issues can be taken care of my manual calibration or auto calibration.
post #3 of 5 Old 11-08-2010, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by secret squirrel View Post

it is best to have a set of speakers across the front soundstage that are from the same line of speakers so they are timbre matched. As long as they are similar. The difference in size should not cause an issue. Any minor issues can be taken care of my manual calibration or auto calibration.

+1
post #4 of 5 Old 11-08-2010, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post

It is best to have a set of speakers across the front soundstage that are from the same line of speakers so they are timbre matched. As long as they are similar. The difference in size should not cause an issue. Any minor issues can be taken care of my manual calibration or auto calibration.

Just so you know what I'm trying to decided between. I can get either for the same price.

Mirage OMD-C1 vs Mirage OS3-CC

The OS3 has very similar drivers to my satellites which I think will allow the best match. The OMD-C1 just seems like such a steal for the price. It's a lot more high end and for the money seems like a great deal, but the drivers are almost 1.5" larger and the whole box is a lot larger as well.

Should I care about all this? When sounds goes left to right and I get the OMD-C1 would I not hear a difference because of the size of the drivers and over all better build of the higher end piece of equipment?

Thanks.
post #5 of 5 Old 11-08-2010, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldron80 View Post

Just so you know what I'm trying to decided between. I can get either for the same price.

Mirage OMD-C1 vs Mirage OS3-CC

The OS3 has very similar drivers to my satellites which I think will allow the best match. The OMD-C1 just seems like such a steal for the price. It's a lot more high end and for the money seems like a great deal, but the drivers are almost 1.5" larger and the whole box is a lot larger as well.

Should I care about all this? When sounds goes left to right and I get the OMD-C1 would I not hear a difference because of the size of the drivers and over all better build of the higher end piece of equipment?

Thanks.

The driver size is not really what matters here. That's not the main concern. The main thing is are they the same type of driver and tweeter as your other speakers? Here is a good example for you. Take my front stage for instance. All 3 speakers are from the same speaker line. My center has dual 6.5'' drivers with a horn loaded silk dome tweeter. My mains have dual 15'' woofers with a 6.5'' mid and a horn loaded silk dome tweeter. My center and mains have the same tweeters and 6.5'' drivers in them. My mains are huge compared to my center. But I have seamless panning across my front stage because they are timbre matched and also from proper calibration. I hope this helps.
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page