Help me to set up my gear. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-11-2010, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Sorry for the plethora of information following this post. I just thought this would be a good place to start. I’ve been piecing together a HT for about a year now I finally ordered a receiver to complete everything. This is my first HT and I’ve really never even seen most of this stuff much less hook any of it up. I’ve read a lot of threads on here and learned a lot from you guys. I have a lot of basic questions for you that I was hoping to get answers to or pointed in the right direction . I’m sorry if these topics have already been discussed numerous times but I wanted to just ask the questions that are specific to my situation. First off here is list of my gear:

Display - Samsung 58b860 Plasma
Fronts – Polk Monitor 70’s
Center – Polk CS2
Surrounds – Polk monitor 40’s (one Pair)
Sub – ED A2-300
Receiver – Onkyo TX-NR708 (On Order)
TV Service Provider – AT&T U-verse (don’t know if this matters or not)

So this is my 5.1 setup. I don’t plan going to 7.1 for awhile. I still need to order my speaker cables which I plan to do this weekend from monoprice. I guess this brings up my first question….

1)I’m going to get a 15’ cable for my sub just so I have some room to move it around but do I need a Y-splitter or is only if you want to use 2 subs? I do plan on getting another sub but it won’t be for a long time and my receiver is a 7.2 receiver. The reason I ask is because I read somewhere one time that people who had Onkyo receivers used a Y-splitter to “wake up” their sub and I didn’t really know what this meant.

2)My next question is about my 70’s. My Monitor 40’s came with speaker bridges between the 2 cable connectors but my 70’s did not. So I am either going to have to make some with speaker wire or bi-amp them. So since I am only using 5.1 do I use the 6 and 7 to hook up my front highs to? I am asking this because I thought the receiver sends out surround signals to those channels and if they are hooked up to the front highs it wouldn’t be sending the proper signals to the right place. Sorry if this question is confusing. I feel like I confused myself more when asking it. If anyone knows a better way handle this scenario please let me know.

3)I wanted to go head and get some polyfil this weekend from Wal-Mart to put inside the sub. I haven’t taken off the port yet but I was just wondering if someone can post a pic of how much to put in there and where. I know you are supposed to keep it away from the driver and amp but I don’t know what it looks like. I guess I will when I open it up. Lol.

4)On the sub itself I need to set the gain to about 12’oclock and the phase at 0. Is this correct?

5)Once I get everything hooked up cable wise and power on my receiver is the first thing I should do is run Audyssey? Do I put sub on or off? I have read that it is better to it with it turned off because it doesn’t get the distance right and this is how people blew there amps. I have had my ED A2-300 since May but haven’t been able to hook it up because I didn’t have a receiver so I hope I don’t have one with defected amps like many did around that time.

6)I set my speakers to small and put the crossovers for them at 80Hz and my LFE crossover to 120Hz. Is this correct?

I think this is all I have for now. I’m sure I will have a million more questions once I get my receiver and get to hooking everything up. Like I said this is just a starting point for me. I’m going to post this in a couple of other threads on here and bluray.com. I know I’m going to anger some people by asking these questions that have been discussed many times but I have a full time job, a wife and 2 kids so like many of you on here I don’t exactly have a lot time to read thousands of posts, which many of it doesn’t pertain to you at all. Everything I have leaned about HT has been from reading information off and on for the last year and I just wanted to say thanks for all the information that is shared on these forums. Thanks you all your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-12-2010, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
1. you do not need a "Y" splitter, you already have to sub pre-outs on the receiver. The "wake up" is when enough audio signal goes to the powered sub, the amplifier switchs out of standby to full "on".

2. Definately bridge the red-red and black-black binding posts on the Monitor 70's and use a single 2 conductor speaker cable to each Monitor 70

3. Why ? Elemental Designs know exactly how to design a great powered subwoofer, why mess with it.

4. The sub will respond to the gain setting in the a/v receiver setup (a variable set in the setup menu) and the gain of it's own internal amplifier - experiment

5. The first thing you should do is listen to the system in it's "default mode" so you will have something to compare the audyssey choices and settings against. They do not always sound right the first, second or third time you run the program.

6. Yes, with a powered sub, speakers to small, subwoofer present (and I think you choose the LFE Plus setting so the sub will work with all audio input, not just the LFE channel stuff). Others will be far more knowledgable here !
post #3 of 4 Old 11-12-2010, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_vanmeter View Post

1. you do not need a "Y" splitter, you already have to sub pre-outs on the receiver. The "wake up" is when enough audio signal goes to the powered sub, the amplifier switchs out of standby to full "on".

2. Definately bridge the red-red and black-black binding posts on the Monitor 70's and use a single 2 conductor speaker cable to each Monitor 70

3. Why ? Elemental Designs know exactly how to design a great powered subwoofer, why mess with it.

4. The sub will respond to the gain setting in the a/v receiver setup (a variable set in the setup menu) and the gain of it's own internal amplifier - experiment

5. The first thing you should do is listen to the system in it's "default mode" so you will have something to compare the audyssey choices and settings against. They do not always sound right the first, second or third time you run the program.

6. Yes, with a powered sub, speakers to small, subwoofer present (and I think you choose the LFE Plus setting so the sub will work with all audio input, not just the LFE channel stuff). Others will be far more knowledgable here !

Good advice - especially about not messing with a well designed sub. As far as the wake up goes I've only owned one sub that wouldn't wake up without a y-cable and that was a low end Velodyne so I wouldn't worry about it.

#6 Onkyo doesn't have a large/small setting. It has "full range"/crossover points settings. It's the same thing but I wanted to clarify to avoid confusion. It also has a "LPF of LFE" setting which I'd try at 120hz. And if you've set your Monitor 70s to full range it will offer the option of "DoubleBass". These are all things that you can play with. By default Audyssey is probably going to set the Monitor 70s to "Full" and possibly the Monitor 40s. It will probably set DoubleBass to "on". I'd play with it like that and see how you like it but for most situations setting the crossovers to 70hz and let the sub take care of low bass would be my choice.

It looks to be a great system OP I think you'll enjoy it.
post #4 of 4 Old 11-12-2010, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholling View Post

Good advice - especially about not messing with a well designed sub. As far as the wake up goes I've only owned one sub that wouldn't wake up without a y-cable and that was a low end Velodyne so I wouldn't worry about it.

#6 Onkyo doesn't have a large/small setting. It has "full range"/crossover points settings. It's the same thing but I wanted to clarify to avoid confusion. It also has a "LPF of LFE" setting which I'd try at 120hz. And if you've set your Monitor 70s to full range it will offer the option of "DoubleBass". These are all things that you can play with. By default Audyssey is probably going to set the Monitor 70s to "Full" and possibly the Monitor 40s. It will probably set DoubleBass to "on". I'd play with it like that and see how you like it but for most situations setting the crossovers to 70hz and let the sub take care of low bass would be my choice.

It looks to be a great system OP I think you'll enjoy it.

Thanks! I'm sure I will enjoy it. It's been a long process and I'm pretty excited to get everything hooked up. I can't wait to re-watch all my blu-rays again. Im sure it will be a whole new experience every time.
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page