**Official Ascend Acoustics Tower Thread** - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #271 of 1519 Old 08-18-2011, 10:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have just partially read at the ascend forum that there is also an option for having ribbon tweters. Is it more expensive if purchased with ribbon tweeters? Is it considered an upgrade? I ask as in Salk Songtowers, it is an upgrade and comes with a cost.

Will I feel I cheated myself if I do not purchase it with ribbon tweeters? It confuses me that there are upgrades or options (NRT tweeters in Sierra-1 and ribbbon tweters in these towers and as I already mentioned the highly regarded Salk Songtowers) and makes me wonder if as supposedly good as the speakers' designs are, there are still upgrades or options that owners profess made the speakers sound better than they already do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1519 Old 08-18-2011, 10:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvelousMarvin View Post

I have just partially read at the ascend forum that there is also an option for having ribbon tweters. Is it more expensive if purchased with ribbon tweeters? Is it considered an upgrade? I ask as in Salk Songtowers, it is an upgrade and comes with a cost.

Will I feel I cheated myself if I do not purchase it with ribbon tweeters? It confuses me that there are upgrades or options (NRT tweeters in Sierra-1 and ribbbon tweters in these towers and as I already mentioned the highly regarded Salk Songtowers) and makes me wonder if as supposedly good as the speakers' designs are, there are still upgrades or options that owners profess made the speakers sound better than they already do.

im not sure if the Sierratowers ribbon tweet are out yet, but if they become available, i remember is around $700 over the standard sierra towers.
A good sounding speaker doesn't mean that there is no room for improvement. And whether that improvement is important to you, only you can decide.
post #273 of 1519 Old 08-19-2011, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundseeker View Post
What center is that? Sierra-1?
Yes, with the NrT upgrade.
post #274 of 1519 Old 08-19-2011, 04:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 70
OK.....I got in trouble again. This time for linking to information on the Ascend forum.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #275 of 1519 Old 08-19-2011, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Send a message via Skype™ to mariob33
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

OK.....I got in trouble again. This time for linking to information on the Ascend forum.

Wow..you must have been really naughty.

In search of video bliss...
post #276 of 1519 Old 08-19-2011, 05:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariob33 View Post

Wow..you must have been really naughty.

At least it was a better explanation.

My voluntary moderator status apparently makes me a rep for the company.

-curtis

Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #277 of 1519 Old 08-19-2011, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:

At least it was a better explanation.

That's weak. Did I read that you recently upgraded to a F1HP?

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, except not while driving a school bus.
post #278 of 1519 Old 08-19-2011, 08:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post

That's weak. Did I read that you recently upgraded to a F1HP?

You mean F15HP. It's been here a while...I actually still have the F15 here as well. Wondering if I can work in duals.

-curtis

Help beat breast cancer!

post #279 of 1519 Old 08-20-2011, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

And how much does that job pay?

My Towers should arrive on Monday. It has been a long wait. Hopefully I don't piss of the neighbors too much by cranking it up.

Bazinga!

post #280 of 1519 Old 08-20-2011, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 104
Quote:

You mean F15HP. It's been here a while...I actually still have the F15 here as well. Wondering if I can work in duals.

Oops-meant F15HP. I knew you had the F15-did you notice a huge difference between the two?

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, except not while driving a school bus.
post #281 of 1519 Old 08-20-2011, 04:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorthocar View Post

And how much does that job pay?

My Towers should arrive on Monday. It has been a long wait. Hopefully I don't piss of the neighbors too much by cranking it up.

and the thing is, I don't have to do much to moderate...the Ascend group is a good bunch. All I have to do is remove a couple of spam posts that get through once in a while.

Go ahead and piss off the neighbors and tell us about it.

-curtis

Help beat breast cancer!

post #282 of 1519 Old 08-20-2011, 04:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post

Oops-meant F15HP. I knew you had the F15-did you notice a huge difference between the two?

Not really. I don't need extra oomph in my room.

-curtis

Help beat breast cancer!

post #283 of 1519 Old 08-21-2011, 11:10 AM

Am very interested in hearing these Towers, may be worth a drive down to San Celemente from LA. Just wondering if my Pioneer VSX-94TXH will be a good match. Pioneer doesn't rate its speakers for 4 ohms but it does put out 140 w per channel at 8 ohms, and, if I'm reading the specs right, 180 per channel at 6 ohms. Would also be interested in hearing more about how the bottom end sounds as far as clarity/differentiation between different types of basses.
post #284 of 1519 Old 08-21-2011, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTracy3 View Post

Am very interested in hearing these Towers, may be worth a drive down to San Celemente from LA. Just wondering if my Pioneer VSX-94TXH will be a good match. Pioneer doesn't rate its speakers for 4 ohms but it does put out 140 w per channel at 8 ohms, and, if I'm reading the specs right, 180 per channel at 6 ohms. Would also be interested in hearing more about how the bottom end sounds as far as clarity/differentiation between different types of basses.

I think it would be worth the drive. You might want to ask Ascend if they can let you connect your receiver in the demo room, so your questions can get answered.

Speakers: Pioneer/TAD S-1EX, S-7EX, Ascend with RAAL upgrade
Pre/Pro: Onkyo PR-SC5508,Bel Canto Pre-6, Sherwood 972
Amp: Outlaw 770
Source:Oppo 105, Ciunas DAC, SB Touch
post #285 of 1519 Old 08-21-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTracy3 View Post

I'd be curious about the same with my Onkyo 3008, also rated at 140w/channel at 8 ohms.
post #286 of 1519 Old 08-22-2011, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

We did instant A/B switching (level matched) between the earlier version of the Ascend towers and the Songtowers at the previous get together in August.

The difference in imaging was obvious. One of the posters here at AVS (ivanpino) noticed that tilting his head out of the sweet spot, even a foot, caused the centre image for the Songtowers to disappear. Some of us had trouble believing that, considering the reputation of Salk speakers. So we took turns listening for ourselves and ended up confirming what Ivan heard.

By comparison, the Ascend towers continued to image well outside the sweet spot. Naturally, the centre image pulled towards whichever speaker you were closest to, but that's normal for a phantom image. At the get together last Saturday, I ended up sitting near one of the side walls for a time, almost in line with the right speaker. Dave F was standing next to me and we both noticed that there still was some imaging between the speakers, even that far out of the sweet spot. I'll admit it was impressive.

Some of the A/B switching at the previous get together was done using one of each speaker, placed directly in front. This took away the distraction of soundstage and imaging, letting us concentrate on tonal qualities (Harman always does speaker comparisons this way). From what I remember of the previous get together, bass response was on par between both speakers. The Ascends were a little clearer, especially on female vocals, maybe due to the midrange driver. When playing louder material, the dual woofers in Salks bottomed out a couple of times (was easy to repeat). No such problem with the Ascends.

Listening to the towers at the recent get together, the bass sounded deeper and cleaner on the same material I had listened to last time. Unfortunately, we weren't able to compare them to the previous version to get a better handle on how much it had changed. Other attributes (imaging, detail, etc) seemed to remain the same as before. They still excelled at reproducing vocals.

I was reading a post about that shootout that says the best speaker in order are:

1. Salk ht2-tl RT
2. Songtower RT
3. Ascend Towers

and that the Songtower with Ribbon Tweeter is 95% of what the Salk HT2-TL Ribbon Tweeter. So, is it safe to say that the original Ascend Towers is actually a better speaker than the Songtower with dome tweeter? Will an Ascend Tower with Ribbon Tweeter be a better sounding speaker than a Songtower with Ribbon Tweeter?

I have to ask because I want the best for the price if I am going to get a new pair of towers. I can understand the scare the Ascend towers are giving to owners of Songtowers who profess that their speakers as "THE PERFECT SPEAKERS".
post #287 of 1519 Old 08-22-2011, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was reading a post about that shootout that says the best speaker in order are:

1. Salk ht2-tl RT
2. Songtower RT
3. Ascend Towers

and that the Songtower with Ribbon Tweeter is 95% of what the Salk HT2-TL Ribbon Tweeter. So, is it safe to say that the original Ascend Towers is actually a better speaker than the Songtower with dome tweeter? Will an Ascend Tower with Ribbon Tweeter be a better sounding speaker than a Songtower with Ribbon Tweeter?

I have to ask because I want the best for the price if I am going to get a new pair of towers. I can understand the scare the Ascend towers are giving to owners of Songtowers who profess that their speakers as "THE PERFECT SPEAKERS".

MM,
I was at the GTG where we heard all three speakers you mentioned. Also note that the quote you posted was from a preproduction Ascend Tower prior to the crossover modification which made a substantial difference (improvement) in my mind. I know I am playing it neutral here, but I really urge you to try and audition both. The salks do have a different sound than the Ascends, which you prefer, anyone's guess. As for the Ribbon version of the Ascends, I have not heard them, only a few folks have. It sounds like the upgrade may be worth it to some but not others, also depending on the material you typically listen to. Its all in the tradeoffs.

Now that the Ascend Towers are shipping, post your location and see if you can score an audition. The songtowers have been for sale for quite some time, so I imagine you can find someone local rather easy.

Hope this helped,
Brandon
post #288 of 1519 Old 08-22-2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post

MM,
I was at the GTG where we heard all three speakers you mentioned. Also note that the quote you posted was from a preproduction Ascend Tower prior to the crossover modification which made a substantial difference (improvement) in my mind. I know I am playing it neutral here, but I really urge you to try and audition both. The salks do have a different sound than the Ascends, which you prefer, anyone's guess. As for the Ribbon version of the Ascends, I have not heard them, only a few folks have. It sounds like the upgrade may be worth it to some but not others, also depending on the material you typically listen to. Its all in the tradeoffs.

Now that the Ascend Towers are shipping, post your location and see if you can score an audition. The songtowers have been for sale for quite some time, so I imagine you can find someone local rather easy.

Hope this helped,
Brandon

merrymaid,

I ask since I may be considered to having a busted eardrum compared to you experts who actually know and can distinguish good sounding speakers. I am probably amongst the many but am honest enough to admit that one of the most important factor in my purchasing my soon to be new speakers is to be able to say to myself that "yeah, I bought the best sounding speaker for the price according to experts". As much as many will say that is not what it should be, I am just being honest about what will satisfy my itch for now. I have read big posts about search for new speakers, and one poster, hisponge, with his quest for speakers and the amount of money and time he spent, proves that this hobby/addiction is oftentimes insatiable.
post #289 of 1519 Old 08-22-2011, 09:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
Quote:

merrymaid,

I ask since I may be considered to having a busted eardrum compared to you experts who actually know and can distinguish good sounding speakers. I am probably amongst the many but am honest enough to admit that one of the most important factor in my purchasing my soon to be new speakers is to be able to say to myself that "yeah, I bought the best sounding speaker for the price according to experts". As much as many will say that is not what it should be, I am just being honest about what will satisfy my itch for now. I have read big posts about search for new speakers, and one poster, hisponge, with his quest for speakers and the amount of money and time he spent, proves that this hobby/addiction is oftentimes insatiable.

We'll be having another GTG this Fall. If you can wait until then you'll get the impressions of all the antendees with respect to how the "production" version of the Ascend Towers compares to the Salk's. There will also be a new Salk speaker at the GTG.

For what it's worth, at our GTG the Salk's did not suffer from the imaging problem that sdurani's post mentions. If they had, I doubt one of the attendees would have cancelled his pre-order for the Ascend Towers and instead ordered the SongTowers with the ribbon tweeter. Like I mentioned, if you can wait you'll get to read about the direct comparisons that we'll have this Fall. And hopefully there will be some non-Salk and non-Ascend owners in attendance, as to completely keep bias out of the equation. Of course, there is no substitute for hearing them yourself. You should never buy a speaker based on someone else's opinion.

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #290 of 1519 Old 08-22-2011, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

For what it's worth, at our GTG the Salk's did not suffer from the imaging problem that sdurani's post mentions. .

Hey Bud,
I dont think there was a problem with the Salks (dome version FYI) per say but rather the Ascends imaged better which if I recall was a finding many of us agreed upon at the last GTG.
post #291 of 1519 Old 08-22-2011, 09:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post

Hey Bud,
I dont think there was a problem with the Salks (dome version FYI) per say but rather the Ascends imaged better which if I recall was a finding many of us agreed upon at the last GTG.

I think the Ascends imaged a little better, yes. However, I do not agree with this, nor have I ever experienced this:

"The difference in imaging was obvious. One of the posters here at AVS (ivanpino) noticed that tilting his head out of the sweet spot, even a foot, caused the centre image for the Songtowers to disappear. Some of us had trouble believing that, considering the reputation of Salk speakers. So we took turns listening for ourselves and ended up confirming what Ivan heard."

I won't say anything other than no one else has had that experience with their Salk speakers, so...

A completely unbias strength comparison would be:

Ascend: more bass punch, can be driven louder before the woofers distort and had better imaging
Salks: more resolving midrange, better timbre and nicer high frequencies

Now that the Ascends have been re-worked and are official production models I can't wait to hear the comparison. But, it's not exactly apples to apples as it'll be a ribbon vs. dome comparison. In an instance like that, the tweeter is usually the deciding factor, with those liking better dispersion choosing the dome and those liking more accurate highs choosing the ribbon. We need both at the GTG!!! I am also still confused on the final pricing, as Dave mentioned the Ascends price needs to be increased. When it's all said and done, will the dome and/or ribbon versions of each speaker still be comparable price wise? I certainly hope so. Competition is a good thing.

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #292 of 1519 Old 08-22-2011, 09:59 AM

Quote:

We'll be having another GTG this Fall. If you can wait until then you'll get the impressions of all the antendees with respect to how the "production" version of the Ascend Towers compares to the Salk's. There will also be a new Salk speaker at the GTG.

For what it's worth, at our GTG the Salk's did not suffer from the imaging problem that sdurani's post mentions. If they had, I doubt one of the attendees would have cancelled his pre-order for the Ascend Towers and instead ordered the SongTowers with the ribbon tweeter. Like I mentioned, if you can wait you'll get to read about the direct comparisons that we'll have this Fall. And hopefully there will be some non-Salk and non-Ascend owners in attendance, as to completely keep bias out of the equation. Of course, there is no substitute for hearing them yourself. You should never buy a speaker based on someone else's opinion.

I guess its good and bad thing with these two speakers. Both the same price, both made by well respected companies. I have to say, Salk Songtowers is already up there and of course, the Ascend towers is trying to give it a run for its money and I am just a consumer who would want to spend my money wisely. I know you are right, I shouldn't buy any speaker without hearing it, but as these speakers are not just outright available in audio stores to audition, I may have to rely mostly on experts' reviews. And like I said, I probably will be more confused and wouldn't be able tell which really sounds better if given the opportunity that these two towers are in front of me.

There are probably many more like me who are waiting for your expert opinions and reviews who I can really say I pay more attention than audio magazine reviews. Whether people will admit it or not, you guys influence most of the readers of this forum much more than what our own ears will tell us.
post #293 of 1519 Old 08-22-2011, 10:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I guess its good and bad thing with these two speakers. Both the same price, both made by well respected companies. I have to say, Salk Songtowers is already up there and of course, the Ascend towers is trying to give it a run for its money and I am just a consumer who would want to spend my money wisely. I know you are right, I shouldn't buy any speaker without hearing it, but as these speakers are not just outright available in audio stores to audition, I may have to rely mostly on experts' reviews. And like I said, I probably will be more confused and wouldn't be able tell which really sounds better if given the opportunity that these two towers are in front of me.

There are probably many more like me who are waiting for your expert opinions and reviews who I can really say I pay more attention than audio magazine reviews. Whether people will admit it or not, you guys influence most of the readers of this forum much more than what our own ears will tell us.

I understand where you're coming from buddy. You've got to do what you've got to do, and no one is going to fault you for that. My opinion is that you probably can't go wrong with either speaker; they are both probably bar none the best I've heard in this price range. However, might I suggest ordering a pair of both and comparing them in your home? I know that sounds crazy, and it'll be expensive at first, but you will be returning one, taking advantage of the 30-day trial period. Sure, it sucks to have to go through the return and maybe bumming out the owner of the speaker being sent back, but that's life man. This economy is in shambles, and (we) the consumer need to do whatever we can to ensure we've chosen the absolute best product for the money. I cannot think of a better way to do that other than getting both in your own home (or at least the same room). I appreciate the kind words, but we're just shmucks and like what we like. What do we know? Your opinion is the one that matters.

With that said, I'd like to officially invite you to our Fall GTG. We'll start working on some dates and locations, and I think I speak for all of us when I say we'd love to have you attend. I don't know where you live, but I am sure we can work something out. We're all in Wisconsin, by the way.

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #294 of 1519 Old 08-22-2011, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think the Ascends imaged a little better, yes. However, I do not agree with this, nor have I ever experienced this:

"The difference in imaging was obvious. One of the posters here at AVS (ivanpino) noticed that tilting his head out of the sweet spot, even a foot, caused the centre image for the Songtowers to disappear. Some of us had trouble believing that, considering the reputation of Salk speakers. So we took turns listening for ourselves and ended up confirming what Ivan heard."

I won't say anything other than no one else has had that experience with their Salk speakers, so...

Ascend: more bass punch, can be driven louder before the woofers distort and had better imaging

Now that the Ascends have been re-worked and are official production models I can't wait to hear the comparison. But, it's not exactly apples to apples as it'll be a ribbon vs. dome comparison. In an instance like that, the tweeter is usually the deciding factor, with those liking better dispersion choosing the dome and those liking more accurate highs choosing the ribbon. We need both at the GTG!!! I am also still confused on the final pricing, as Dave mentioned the Ascends price needs to be increased. When it's all said and done, will the dome and/or ribbon versions of each speaker still be comparable price wise? I certainly hope so. Competition is a good thing.

I have not heard much in this regard either. Again, that is why its so important to listen for yourself As for the final pricing on the Towers, the only price increase will be for the Ribbon version which currently is $700/pair more. So for the base finish with bamboo construction, pricing starts at $1899. Hope this helps! Its too bad we could not include both Ascend versions and both songtowers versions. Someone in WI needs to pony up
post #295 of 1519 Old 08-22-2011, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I understand where you're coming from buddy. You've got to do what you've got to do, and no one is going to fault you for that. My opinion is that you probably can't go wrong with either speaker; they are both probably bar none the best I've heard in this price range. However, might I suggest ordering a pair of both and comparing them in your home? I know that sounds crazy, and it'll be expensive at first, but you will be returning one, taking advantage of the 30-day trial period. Sure, it sucks to have to go through the return and maybe bumming out the owner of the speaker being sent back, but that's life man. This economy is in shambles, and (we) the consumer need to do whatever we can to ensure we've chosen the absolute best product for the money. I cannot think of a better way to do that other than getting both in your own home (or at least the same room). I appreciate the kind words, but we're just shmucks and like what we like. What do we know? Your opinion is the one that matters.

With that said, I'd like to officially invite you to our Fall GTG. We'll start working on some dates and locations, and I think I speak for all of us when I say we'd love to have you attend. I don't know where you live, but I am sure we can work something out. We're all in Wisconsin, by the way.

Well said! I cant imagine S&H for either speaker is much more than $100, and when your spending nearly $2K, its a small price to pay to be sure YOU picked the one that fits you!
post #296 of 1519 Old 08-22-2011, 10:18 AM

Quote:

I urge you to take advantage of the 30 day return guarantee that Ascend offers (and I assume Salk does as well). Also, to the extent possible, try not to get too caught up in the comparisons. There are plenty folks on the forum whose posts suggest they take the 'which speaker sounds better' quest a bit too seriously, in my opinion. Though, ultimately, and despite all attempts at diplomacy, folks, quite rationally, tend to prefer what they have (or have contracted to have). This psychologically makes sense, but only highlights how futile it will be to solicit something different. I say buy em both and keep the set you like best . I, personally, have taken a pass on Salk and am awaiting shipment of the Ascend Towers. I just like them better.
post #297 of 1519 Old 08-22-2011, 10:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

How can you state that when you were not there? These two guys, sdurani and ivanpino, do not own products from either company, and are well respected members of our LA Audio/Video group. What they stated is what they heard. This was a direct comparison, with proper A/B level matched, instant switching (but not blind, although at times you could not tell which pair were playing). Positioning was even changed to see if that was an issue. In that session, folks thought the Tower had a more resolving/detailed midrange, more dynamic, bass/mid-bass was more punchy and defined, with nothing specifically mentioned about timbre and high frequencies(Dave did mention he liked the Salk's dome tweeter a lot). Also, I will add that apparently the SongTowers that were there did not have the current woofers, and the pair of pre-production Towers were made of MDF and had an older crossover and tweeter.

If you just want to list strengths, that's fine, but that was not done in the GTG thread. In fact, no one mentioned imaging, Salk or Ascend owners, in that thread.

That all said, I'd hate for all of this to turn into a he said/he said type of thing or ugly rivalry. These are two well respected companies with excellent products with different business models. Owners of each company's products can be very passionate and opinionated. I highly urge comparisons, it is the only way a person can get what is truly best for them.

edit: Looks like missed some posts while typing this up!

-curtis

Help beat breast cancer!

post #298 of 1519 Old 08-22-2011, 10:50 AM

I did my reading years ago and at the time I thought the best value for what I was trying to accomplish was Ascend's CBM-170s. Later, when they had Sierra-1 B-stocks cheap, I upgraded. Each time, I just couldn't believe how good the speakers sounded for the money. Now I'll have Sierra Towers in a few weeks, and I don't expect the sound improvement from the Sierra-1s to be as significant, but I'm still anxiously awaiting them.

When I decided I wanted to go for a bigger speaker for a bigger room, it was an easy call for me. I'm sure the Salks are wonderful, but I've built a level of trust with Ascend, and I saw no reason to make a move away. My tough question developed when Ascend announced the ribbon tweeter, but ultimately I decided to save the $700, as my lifestyle doesn't afford much listening from the sweet spot, and that would push the purchase from 2-ish thousand to 3-ish, which starts to sound like a much bigger number.
post #299 of 1519 Old 08-22-2011, 11:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

How can you state that when you were not there?

I thought you'd be able to read between the lines of my statement. If not, it's cool. I bet the room was at play, but it's all good. Like I said, I've never had an imaging issue, so what do I care? I actually had no idea it wasn't a current production SongTower. That could explain what they heard. If so, though, the results are kind of moot, just like our results with the pre-production model of the Ascend Tower. Enter the new GTG.

Quote:

If you just want to list strengths, that's fine, but that was not done in the GTG thread. In fact, no one mentioned imaging, Salk or Ascend owners, in that thread.

I don't have time to dig through that entire thread, but I bet I find info about imaging. I could be wrong, though.

Quote:

That all said, I'd hate for all of this to turn into a he said/he said type of thing or ugly rivalry. These are two well respected companies with excellent products with different business models. Owners of each company's products can be very passionate and opinionated. I highly urge comparisons, it is the only way a person can get what is truly best for them.

Until this point I have never seen the word rivalry used; is that what you think this is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by malaplace View Post

I, personally, have taken a pass on Salk and am awaiting shipment of the Ascend Towers. I just like them better.

Cool! Hopefully you chose based on hearing them both, then picking the winner.

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #300 of 1519 Old 08-22-2011, 12:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I thought you'd be able to read between the lines of my statement. If not, it's cool. I bet the room was at play, but it's all good. Like I said, I've never had an imaging issue, so what do I care? I actually had no idea it wasn't a current production SongTower. That could explain what they heard. If so, though, the results are kind of moot, just like our results with the pre-production model of the Ascend Tower. Enter the new GTG.

I don't have time to dig through that entire thread, but I bet I find info about imaging. I could be wrong, though.

Until this point I have never seen the word rivalry used; is that what you think this is?

There wasn't an issue with the Songtowers. The Ascends imaged better. You seem to agree.

Communicating with another speaker manufacturer about the new and older driver in the Songtower., he stated the differences are subtle at best, and didn't affect imaging. Of course he could be wrong too.

Like you said, competition is good. I don't want it to be ugly.

-curtis

Help beat breast cancer!

Reply Speakers

Tags
Speaker Systems

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page