post #361 of 1517 Old 11-28-2011, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmanick View Post

Brandon, are you and the other WI boys planning another GTG? I'd love to see everyone's impressions of the RAAL/Ascend, and how maybe their impressions have remained or changed with the various upgrades your original speakers have seen.

Yes we are. Hoping to meet up on 12/10! I imagine their impressions will change due to the RAAL addition and they had heard my pre production pair before the final XO was released(which made a significant change as well). Stay tuned...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1517 Old 11-28-2011, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Looking forward to it. Thanks.

~Nick

Augustine's Law: "The last 10% of performance generates one-third of the cost and two-thirds of the problems."

post #363 of 1517 Old 11-30-2011, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Well not officially an owner yet, but i just ordered a pair of the towers, and their matching center all with the RAAL tweeter. Now comes the hardest part, "The LONG Wait"!!!!!!! Should be here just before Christmas, if the fates are generous.

This will be my first speaker purchase since the Mirage OM series that have served me well for the past ten years. Pretty stoked I must say!

Jay

Heavily addicted SACDBA member, starting the twelve steps tomorrow!
Jay
post #364 of 1517 Old 11-30-2011, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pet Motel View Post

Well not officially an owner yet, but i just ordered a pair of the towers, and their matching center all with the RAAL tweeter. Now comes the hardest part, "The LONG Wait"!!!!!!! Should be here just before Christmas, if the fates are generous.

This will be my first speaker purchase since the Mirage OM series that have served me well for the past ten years. Pretty stoked I must say!

Jay

Excellent work, congratulations!

With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
post #365 of 1517 Old 11-30-2011, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Jay

Awesome! What finish by the way? Since upgrading to the RAAL's in my Ascend Towers, I have been very very pleased
post #366 of 1517 Old 11-30-2011, 05:30 PM

"What finish by the way?"

I had settled on the satin black prior to contacting Ascend, but apparently that is not a standard option with this run of Towers. Choices were natural, the matte black, satin cherry, and satin espresso which is what I opted for.

I live in an old country farmhouse in the middle of corn country, there seems to be an inordinate amount of dust around here at times, making the textured surface of the matte finish a bad idea in my circumstance.

I would like to mention that I agonized for quite some time over the idea of going with a high efficiency "pro" style of solution, such as the eD cinema 12s, or JTRs. Due to the fact that I love to listen to high resolution, multichannel music which accounts for the majority of the system's use, I decided articulate, detailed, accurate music reproduction trumped the huge dynamic headroom of the other type of solution.

If I didn't have to work 7 days a week, I know it would have been a good idea to audition a high sensitivity/power setup. It's not a practical option in my case.

Jay

Jay
post #367 of 1517 Old 12-01-2011, 02:54 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Jay

I'm jealous, awesome purchase...
post #368 of 1517 Old 12-01-2011, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

satin espresso which is what I opted for

I love this color...

post #369 of 1517 Old 12-01-2011, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv View Post

I love this color...

This is the color I hope to change to once we move Patrick, you need to help convince Erin its much more practical than Piano Black...which shows EVERYTHING!
post #370 of 1517 Old 12-01-2011, 03:46 PM

I figure that I'll try the Mirage bipole rears I currently have in the room for surround duty, they're very close for a direct radiator (about four feet). Has anyone tried a different brand bipole, or dipole with the Towers, if so how did they work out?

I'm a believer in having all the speakers in a surround system being of the same series such that they integrate seamlessly, I hope these speakers don't dislike one another too much!

Jay

Jay
post #371 of 1517 Old 12-01-2011, 05:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post

This is the color I hope to change to once we move Patrick, you need to help convince Erin its much more practical than Piano Black...which shows EVERYTHING!

How do you plan on changing the color? That won't be an easy task with such nice speakers.

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #372 of 1517 Old 12-01-2011, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

How do you plan on changing the color? That won't be an easy task with such nice speakers.

Selling mine and buying new, duh
The new ones might actually save me money(or break even) considering mine have the $700-$900 hand rubbed PB finish.
post #373 of 1517 Old 12-01-2011, 08:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

Selling mine and buying new, duh
The new ones might actually save me money(or break even) considering mine have the $700-$900 hand rubbed PB finish.

Lol! I figured. They have so much history, though; the first pair of Ascend Towers. Seriously, though, I'd probably just buy new again too. Although, I don't think either of us would make money on the high gloss finish. People don't seem to care how much extra the original buyer paid for it.

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #374 of 1517 Old 12-02-2011, 12:49 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 75
Quote:

Jay

Jay,

Thanks so much for getting your order in!!! Our latest update from our cabinet maker is that we are on schedule to receive the cabinets just prior to Christmas. It is a long wait but I can assure you that it is well worth it!

Quote:

"What finish by the way?"

I had settled on the satin black prior to contacting Ascend, but apparently that is not a standard option with this run of Towers. Choices were natural, the matte black, satin cherry, and satin espresso which is what I opted for.

I live in an old country farmhouse in the middle of corn country, there seems to be an inordinate amount of dust around here at times, making the textured surface of the matte finish a bad idea in my circumstance.

I would like to mention that I agonized for quite some time over the idea of going with a high efficiency "pro" style of solution, such as the eD cinema 12s, or JTRs. Due to the fact that I love to listen to high resolution, multichannel music which accounts for the majority of the system's use, I decided articulate, detailed, accurate music reproduction trumped the huge dynamic headroom of the other type of solution.

If I didn't have to work 7 days a week, I know it would have been a good idea to audition a high sensitivity/power setup. It's not a practical option in my case.

Jay

The satin espresso is gorgeous and most likely what will end up in my own home (sadly, I don't yet have my own personal set of Sierra Towers as our customers come first)

I think you will be quite surprised at the dynamic capabilities of these speakers - while I would not categorize these as "high-efficiency" speakers, their dynamics is truly impressive. And... you simply can't get higher resolution than the RAAL 70-20XR with AM core

David Fabrikant

audio professional and soft spoken representative of www.AscendAcoustics.com

post #375 of 1517 Old 12-02-2011, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No question, that those will show less dust then Piano Black, but also hide finger prints easier...

Ultimately the dust will always be there no different then the PB.... I don't dust often enough and its time again before you guys show up, thankfully my house doesn't get very dirty with only me living in it... Now that the creature is out of the house... !!!
post #376 of 1517 Old 12-02-2011, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv View Post

No question, that those will show less dust then Piano Black, but also hide finger prints easier...

Ultimately the dust will always be there no different then the PB.... I don't dust often enough and its time again before you guys show up, thankfully my house doesn't get very dirty with only me living in it... Now that the creature is out of the house... !!!

Now its just the scantilly clad women running around creating all the dust

post #377 of 1517 Old 12-02-2011, 03:36 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 75
Quote:

Now its just the scantilly clad women running around creating all the dust

Now you have got me interested in joining you guys!

David Fabrikant

audio professional and soft spoken representative of www.AscendAcoustics.com

post #378 of 1517 Old 12-02-2011, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Where can I get the scantily-clad, dust creators?
post #379 of 1517 Old 12-03-2011, 01:01 AM

Liked: 10
I got the chance to stop by Ascend today and pickup my CBM-170s...I auditioned the towers, they made me want to cry they sound so good...I met David and Dina, they are terrific people
post #380 of 1517 Old 12-03-2011, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascend View Post

Now you have got me interested in joining you guys!

Ha! you are always welcome!
post #381 of 1517 Old 12-03-2011, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBiker View Post

Where can I get the scantily-clad, dust creators?

My house generally, but be warned - you best be on good behavior !!
They are usually well armed and never afraid to take matters into their own hands if you get outta line....

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...CR/hottie3.jpg
post #382 of 1517 Old 12-07-2011, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 86
Hi, gang I'm browsing this thread for details about the Sierra towers. It's been hard to sift through all the weird arguments and junk, so I'll just ask my questions here and hope that nobody bites my head off.

What kind of amplification is required for the Sierra towers? What is their nominal impedance, and what is their minimum impedance?

How long will they be available at intro pricing?

I can't easily make sense of it all, but it seems like the towers are always back-ordered, and fulfilled... this side of eventually. If I placed an order in mid-January, when could I expect to receive them?

I think that does it for now. Anybody who gives me answers, thanks a bunch

Once again, I am sorry to take a sledgehammer to so small and fragile a nut. -- Richard Dawkins, The Greatest Show On Earth
post #383 of 1517 Old 12-07-2011, 10:29 AM

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaviorMachine View Post

I can't easily make sense of it all, but it seems like the towers are always back-ordered, and fulfilled... this side of eventually.

I agree. There's absolutely nothing about them on the website
post #384 of 1517 Old 12-07-2011, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I recommend checking out this thread on the Towers from the Ascend forum:
http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?t=4815

My opinion on power required, you dont need much. They are more efficient than the sierra-1, just about any receiver or seperate amp should suffice.

As for intro pricing and current availability, please consult Dave/Ascend via phone or email.

Hope this helps,
Brandon

Quote:

Hi, gang I'm browsing this thread for details about the Sierra towers. It's been hard to sift through all the weird arguments and junk, so I'll just ask my questions here and hope that nobody bites my head off.

What kind of amplification is required for the Sierra towers? What is their nominal impedance, and what is their minimum impedance?

How long will they be available at intro pricing?

I can't easily make sense of it all, but it seems like the towers are always back-ordered, and fulfilled... this side of eventually. If I placed an order in mid-January, when could I expect to receive them?

I think that does it for now. Anybody who gives me answers, thanks a bunch

post #385 of 1517 Old 12-07-2011, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65 Electra Glide View Post

I believe Dave/Ascend keeps them off the site during their intro period. Once the Towers are in stock and available, I imagine they will appear on the site
post #386 of 1517 Old 12-07-2011, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wait, I get it now: when you click the Buy Ascend link up top, and then the Loudspeakers link at left, you reach a pre-order form that shows the price of the 50% down payment. I guess the intro pricing is still in effect, then.

I'd still like to see a page devoted to the speaker, with specs and graphs. Any time soon?

Once again, I am sorry to take a sledgehammer to so small and fragile a nut. -- Richard Dawkins, The Greatest Show On Earth
post #387 of 1517 Old 12-07-2011, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My opinion on power required, you dont need much. They are more efficient than the sierra-1, just about any receiver or seperate amp should suffice.

As for intro pricing and current availability, please consult Dave/Ascend via phone or email.

Hope this helps,
Brandon

Thanks much, Brandon

SaviorMachine

post #388 of 1517 Old 12-07-2011, 10:54 AM

Liked: 24
Quote:

Wait, I get it now: when you click the Buy Ascend link up top, and then the Loudspeakers link at left, you reach a pre-order form that shows the price of the 50% down payment. I guess the intro pricing is still in effect, then.

I'd still like to see a page devoted to the speaker, with specs and graphs. Any time soon?

Could you please post a link? I still can't find it.

Edit - Never mind, I found it.
post #389 of 1517 Old 12-07-2011, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hope this helps,
Brandon

Wait, uh, I think I'm missing something. The average impedance cited there is 4ohm... isn't that a tough challenge for the average receiver? Neither of my receivers (and no receiver I plan to buy) even lists a 4ohm wattage measurement. Does "average" mean something different from "nominal?"

post #390 of 1517 Old 12-07-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:

I too would like to see specifications, and measurements all easily accessible in one place.

The Ascend website is certainly not a shining example of how to showcase what is by most accounts a superb product.

Jay

Jay
Reply Speakers

Tags
Speaker Systems

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page