post #451 of 1519 Old 02-03-2012, 01:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

I think Monday should still be a "sick day".

Enjoy!!

Yea, the weekend may be a little rough, with the speakers breaking him in.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1519 Old 02-03-2012, 01:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy p View Post

fast foward to 2pm est...I decide to call home and check on the kids(day off from school...) and they tell me the UPS guy is at the door.....

The thing is...I could have left work early today but decided against it because Monday was going to be a sick day. I am lucky my older daughter was home form early classes...

Delivered On:
Friday, 02/03/2012 at 14:03

Have fun, and enjoy!

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #453 of 1519 Old 02-03-2012, 06:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The new Ascend towers w/Raal sound great, does anyone know what a pair goes for? Couldn't find the tweeter upgrade price on the website. It would have been cool if there were a pair of Selah Tempesta's at the GTG, should be similar to the M7's at the price of the Ascends..
post #454 of 1519 Old 02-03-2012, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettett15 View Post

The new Ascend towers w/Raal sound great, does anyone know what a pair goes for? Couldn't find the tweeter upgrade price on the website. It would have been cool if there were a pair of Selah Tempesta's at the GTG, should be similar to the M7's at the price of the Ascends..

RAAL~$700.00pr... http://www.ascendacoustics.com/Merch...t_Code=SRT1PRE

My new Sierra espresso towers...
Attachment 236199
LL

Old Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors, but we borrow it from our children!

Ascend Acoustics (NrT)Towers, STC w RAAL, 200 SE in espresso
54" of Panasonic Bliss, Anthem MRX 300
Sony BDP-S380, TechnicsCD player, Apple TV
PSA XS30 SE in Cordovan Cherry
post #455 of 1519 Old 02-03-2012, 08:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:

Those Tempestas(not sure if the same RAAL is used) would be ~$600 more/pr and much less efficient to start.

A lot of information on the Sierra Tower and the RAAL upgrade can be located on this page:
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...s/SRT/srt.html

-curtis

Owner of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Volunteer Mod at the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.

post #456 of 1519 Old 02-04-2012, 06:02 AM

I'm confused, when I do the checkout and put qty 2 (I'm assuming the speakers aren't 949/pair), the total comes out to 3270 with the raal box checked. Or should i only have qty 1 and then it would be 1649 with the raal..
post #457 of 1519 Old 02-04-2012, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Can the Sierra-1 bookshelves be upgraded to the RAAL versions?
post #458 of 1519 Old 02-04-2012, 07:13 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

Can the Sierra-1 bookshelves be upgraded to the RAAL versions?

Below is a quote by Dave F. from the Ascend web site.

"We have been getting a lot of requests for this, at least one per day... I think at this point it is something we are going to have to investigate. Due to the depth of the RAAL ribbon we are using, it will not fit into the current Sierra-1 cabinet so a new cabinet will have to be designed."

Having had a Sierra apart, it isn't the depth of the cabinet, it's the port tube that the ribbon would interfere with.

Jay

Heavily addicted SACDBA member, starting the twelve steps tomorrow!
Jay
post #459 of 1519 Old 02-04-2012, 07:23 AM

Quote:

I'm confused, when I do the checkout and put qty 2 (I'm assuming the speakers aren't 949/pair), the total comes out to 3270 with the raal box checked. Or should i only have qty 1 and then it would be 1649 with the raal..

Towers are $949 each, RAAL upgrade $350 each = $1299 each. Tower center is about fifty bucks more.

When you click to buy, you are getting a pre order charge which is half of the pair (1 speaker), but also if you pre order you must pay full upgrade price for the two RAALs (2speaker upgrades) = the total you came up with.

Jay

Jay
post #460 of 1519 Old 02-04-2012, 08:03 AM

Ah I see, so the real total will be $2626, pretty good deal. Tough choice with all of these ID speaker companies out there. I should have mentioned with the Tempesta I would be going the kit route which would put me right with the Sierra towers. They use the 70-10 Raal I believe, but from what I understand its not "worse" than the OEM version. The Sierra's are a lot more efficient but certainly thats not the only thing one needs to look at.
post #461 of 1519 Old 02-04-2012, 09:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Ah I see, so the real total will be $2626, pretty good deal. Tough choice with all of these ID speaker companies out there. I should have mentioned with the Tempesta I would be going the kit route which would put me right with the Sierra towers. They use the 70-10 Raal I believe, but from what I understand its not "worse" than the OEM version. The Sierra's are a lot more efficient but certainly thats not the only thing one needs to look at.

It takes half the power to drive even the Sierra-1 bookshelf, let alone the Sierra Tower.

Definitely other things to look at...like the bamboo cabinet.

More seriously though, the engineering is not really the same as well. The Tower's woofer and mid-range drivers are proprietary. While both are ID, they really are different business models and engineering executions.

-curtis

Owner of

Volunteer Mod at the

Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.

post #462 of 1519 Old 02-04-2012, 10:25 AM

Ha, I get that you really like the sierra towers. What was your take between them and the M7's?
post #463 of 1519 Old 02-04-2012, 10:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Ha, I get that you really like the sierra towers. What was your take between them and the M7's?

I do like the Sierra Towers, but I have not heard them with the RAAL tweeter, and I have not heard the M7. That is a question for merrymaid and Nuance.

-curtis

Owner of

Volunteer Mod at the

post #464 of 1519 Old 02-04-2012, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

I have not heard the M7. That is a question for merrymaid and Nuance.

Or perhaps the owner of the M7's ------------

post #465 of 1519 Old 02-04-2012, 10:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv View Post

Or perhaps the owner of the M7's ------------

Sorry Warp...didn't mean to leave you out.

-curtis

Owner of

Volunteer Mod at the

post #466 of 1519 Old 02-04-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:

I do like the Sierra Towers, but I have not heard them with the RAAL tweeter, and I have not heard the M7. That is a question for merrymaid and Nuance.

Hi Curtis, you've probably answered this already before so I apologize if this is already in the thread but how do you like the Towers versus the Sierra bookshelves? (both the original and NrT versions).
post #467 of 1519 Old 02-04-2012, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkuboy View Post

Hi Curtis, you've probably answered this already before so I apologize if this is already in the thread but how do you like the Towers versus the Sierra bookshelves? (both the original and NrT versions).

I know you directed this question to Curtis....but having owned both the mid range is what really stands out with the Towers...it's much more prominent and blends perfectly with the rest of the speaker. The Towers play louder with less effort but I am still tinkering with placement at the momment. So far I feel the imaging is even better given the location of the tweeter found in the Tower in relation to the Sierras on stands(I had 26" stands) the extra ~2" or so...made a difference..it seems to me anyways. Most of my early listening has being at lower level background volume...no time yet for some critical or higher volume listening...I might need to use a sick day or two....

Regards, Bill

Ps: I am sure Curtis could elaborate further...I am quite new to all this but these Towers are sweet....

Old Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors, but we borrow it from our children!

post #468 of 1519 Old 02-04-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:

It takes half the power to drive even the Sierra-1 bookshelf, let alone the Sierra Tower.

Definitely other things to look at...like the bamboo cabinet.

More seriously though, the engineering is not really the same as well. The Tower's woofer and mid-range drivers are proprietary. While both are ID, they really are different business models and engineering executions.

In my system with a Sierra NrT currently in center position, ARC set a level difference of 2.5 db higher compared to the Towers, they are exactly the same distance from the listening position.

Just got done watching/listening to Harry Connick, Jr. "In Concert on Broadway". This is a Blu-ray with a 96 kHz/24bit TrueHD soundtrack. I would seriously suggest anyone comparing another speaker against the Sierra Tower to pay close attention to the dynamics.

As a for instance, track 13 "Light the Way" Harry is going solo in the beginning of the performance, after a while the band kicks in full force. The impact of these Towers belies their rather diminutive dimensions, these babies ROCK HARD and just about knock you out of your seat. I'm not talking "oh so smooth, and warm", I'm talking about what it sounded like at the live performance, with a full size string, rhythm, and horn section belting it out at the same moment. Dynamic dynamite!

The dynamic impact of these Ascends is truly amazing, I haven't heard anything yet that they don't do well, but the dynamic capabilities are what stand out to me, even above their other terrific attributes.

Jay

Jay
post #469 of 1519 Old 02-04-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:

I know you directed this question to Curtis....but having owned both the mid range is what really stands out with the Towers...it's much more prominent and blends perfectly with the rest of the speaker. The Towers play louder with less effort but I am still tinkering with placement at the momment. So far I feel the imaging is even better given the location of the tweeter found in the Tower in relation to the Sierras on stands(I had 26" stands) the extra ~2" or so...made a difference..it seems to me anyways. Most of my early listening has being at lower level background volume...no time yet for some critical or higher volume listening...I might need to use a sick day or two....

Regards, Bill

Ps: I am sure Curtis could elaborate further...I am quite new to all this but these Towers are sweet....

Thanks, Bill - I welcome comments from anyone who could offer comparisons.

From what you've said, could it be inferred that the midrange on the bookshelves is somewhat recessed, then? I assume a "prominent" midrange is a good thing here - with my own thinking/definition, when a speaker has a prominent midrange I've found it to sound too nasal or box-like, or like a PA system, but you probably mean something that is balanced and lifelike.
post #470 of 1519 Old 02-04-2012, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks, Bill - I welcome comments from anyone who could offer comparisons.

From what you've said, could it be inferred that the midrange on the bookshelves is somewhat recessed, then? I assume a "prominent" midrange is a good thing here - with my own thinking/definition, when a speaker has a prominent midrange I've found it to sound too nasal or box-like, or like a PA system, but you probably mean something that is balanced and lifelike.

By prominent I did not mean forward or aggressive in nature but rather more defined making vocals appear lifelike and music sounding more natural...I know what you mean about sounding like a PA system and this is not a knock against my other speakers(Axioms) but they sound congested or nasally when comparing....while these(Sierra's) sound airy and full of life.

post #471 of 1519 Old 02-04-2012, 04:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Regards, Bill

I haven't had as much time with the Sierra Towers as others since I don't own them, but your thoughts are inline with mine. The dedicated midrange driver just offers up a lot more. Of course the Tower plays bigger and deeper, and can be more dynamic. Imaging is outstanding.

-curtis

Owner of

Volunteer Mod at the

post #472 of 1519 Old 02-04-2012, 05:31 PM

Liked: 11
Great reviews and info on the towers.

I'm so torn between the Sierra Raal Tower and the Phil 2s I dunno what to do!

Has anyone here heard both and willing to offer opinion?

I'm most certainly ordering the Sierra Tower Center no matter the mains choice.
post #473 of 1519 Old 02-04-2012, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid-State View Post

Great reviews and info on the towers.

I'm so torn between the Sierra Raal Tower and the Phil 2s I dunno what to do!

Has anyone here heard both and willing to offer opinion?

I'm most certainly ordering the Sierra Tower Center no matter the mains choice.

I was in the same boat, likely can't go too far wrong with either choice. Ultimately, the Tower Center, Sierras for surrounds, and aesthetics made the choice clear for me. I couldn't be happier, might be good for me NOT to audition others now LOL!

In addition to those two, I was also considering JTRs for their well documented sensitivity, and ability to effortlessly produce astounding dynamics, and SPLs.

It's been a comfort to me that the Ascends excell in reproducing amazing transients themselves even if they aren't as capable in the sound pressure level department. They go louder than I'm comfortable with in my rather small listening area, so the point is likely moot in my case.

Maybe the double Brandons can give a comparison if Nuance should end up with a pair of the Phils?

Jay

Jay
post #474 of 1519 Old 02-04-2012, 09:13 PM

Thank you Bill and Curtis for your impressions of the differences between the towers and the monitors. Yes, I definitely should stop reading this thread because I am do not want to buy anything now. Maybe by summer, though!
post #475 of 1519 Old 02-04-2012, 09:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thank you Bill and Curtis for your impressions of the differences between the towers and the monitors. Yes, I definitely should stop reading this thread because I am do not want to buy anything now. Maybe by summer, though!

Just enjoy the process of choosing/buying speakers.

-curtis

Owner of

Volunteer Mod at the

post #476 of 1519 Old 02-05-2012, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Can anyone tell me where I can find info on the Sierra-1 tower center? I currently have a 3.1 with the Sierra-1 bookshelves, but, I am thinking about possibly getting a Sierra-1 tower center. I believe that the center channel is the most important speaker in the entire system so I am hoping that the Sierra-1 tower center will give me some better performance.
post #477 of 1519 Old 02-05-2012, 09:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

Can anyone tell me where I can find info on the Sierra-1 tower center? I currently have a 3.1 with the Sierra-1 bookshelves, but, I am thinking about possibly getting a Sierra-1 tower center. I believe that the center channel is the most important speaker in the entire system so I am hoping that the Sierra-1 tower center will give me some better performance.

It is definitely a better speaker than the Sierra center.

What kind of information are you looking for?

Same set of drivers that are in the Tower, front slot ported.

Here are measurements that Dave posted in Oct.
http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...&postcount=685

Pics and dimensions:
http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...&postcount=732

More pics:
http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...t=4630&page=21

-curtis

Owner of

Volunteer Mod at the

post #478 of 1519 Old 02-05-2012, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Sorry Warp...didn't mean to leave you out.

I was just messing about Curtis.....

Hey can someone save those pics to a photo website.. It would be nice to see the pics for those without an account of the ascend forums....

post #479 of 1519 Old 02-05-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pet Motel View Post

I was in the same boat, likely can't go too far wrong with either choice. Ultimately, the Tower Center, Sierras for surrounds, and aesthetics made the choice clear for me. I couldn't be happier, might be good for me NOT to audition others now LOL!

In addition to those two, I was also considering JTRs for their well documented sensitivity, and ability to effortlessly produce astounding dynamics, and SPLs.

It's been a comfort to me that the Ascends excell in reproducing amazing transients themselves even if they aren't as capable in the sound pressure level department. They go louder than I'm comfortable with in my rather small listening area, so the point is likely moot in my case.

Maybe the double Brandons can give a comparison if Nuance should end up with a pair of the Phils?

Jay

I was in the same boat. Always had a curiosity for JTR but due to a lack of dedicated home theater room, I decided to pass on it. Was somewhat torn between the Phil 2 & sierra tower but it came down to WAF and ascends 30 day return policy. I've had my sierra tower for two weeks now and I will say that I'm done researching for the next best thing within this price range. I was originally 70%movie/30% music, now, it's about 50/50. This is with the Nrt twetter by the way. I'm sure the RAAL will be even more of an improvement but regrettably, I could not afford another $700
post #480 of 1519 Old 02-05-2012, 12:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv View Post

I was just messing about Curtis.....

Hey can someone save those pics to a photo website.. It would be nice to see the pics for those without an account of the ascend forums....

I know you were Warp.

Attached a pic just for you.
LL

-curtis

Owner of

Volunteer Mod at the

Reply Speakers

Tags
Speaker Systems

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page