AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Send a message via Skype™ to mariob33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascend View Post

Your cabinet is due here late next week. We were short on ribbon tweeter cutout cabinets so our cabinet maker is handling this for us. I promise you will have it soon

Your reaction to the Horizon perfectly echoes my initial reaction Vocals and dynamics are simply astounding. I am bummed though because there is no way I can fit one in the system in my home so I have now been watching movies at the office

I have been listening all day and man it gets more and more impressive by the song. The only problem I have now would be which sub do I need to really round this system out.

In search of video bliss...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 1517 Old 03-16-2012, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariob33 View Post

I have been listening all day and man it gets more and more impressive by the song. The only problem I have now would be which sub do I need to really round this system out.

and it only gets better..........

I went with the Rythmik FV15HP for my sub (ordered from Ascend) and the main reason for doing so was my main focus is HT so I wanted the biggest sub I could go with at the time. I can tell you that properly set up this sub integrates extremely well with the towers/center.

DaveF if you listening/reading I know that the Horizon is the adopted name for the center, what about an adopted name for the towers. Something like "Summit" or "Apogee" or "Apex" or "Zenith". Would not want the towers to feel left out of the name game. Of course it is your company so I guess it's OK if you just want to stick with the Sierra Towers.

Just sayin'......

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #693 of 1517 Old 03-17-2012, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

OH OH Warning! The wife just asked if we could put "Tim McGraw - Greatest Hits" on the new speakers . Not good, not good especially given that she was listening on the whole house speaker system and was complaining about not being able to hear the words . According to her a month ago there was no difference .

post #694 of 1517 Old 03-17-2012, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariob33 View Post

OH OH Warning! The wife just asked if we could put "Tim McGraw - Greatest Hits" on the new speakers . Not good, not good especially given that she was listening on the whole house speaker system and was complaining about not being able to hear the words . According to her a month ago there was no difference .

So now she pulling out her records, a little reminiscence

DJoel
post #695 of 1517 Old 03-17-2012, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

I have a speaker cable question, I'm getting some Towers, as I just made room for them. I used Biwire cables, I was wondering if I can just stack them to the single binding post, you know RED-RED, BLACK-BLACK so like that I can keep my cables? From this angle, it seems pretty harmless, just wanted to know if I can do my AVR or speakers any damage!

Thanks

Dan
post #696 of 1517 Old 03-17-2012, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
As long as each of the two are connected to each other at both ends, there is no problem.
post #697 of 1517 Old 03-17-2012, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks.

Hopefully there's enough space to fit them both in the same post.

Here's a picture of the cable wire

Djoel
post #698 of 1517 Old 03-17-2012, 04:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

I have a speaker cable question, I'm getting some Towers, as I just made room for them. I used Biwire cables, I was wondering if I can just stack them to the single binding post, you know RED-RED, BLACK-BLACK so like that I can keep my cables? From this angle, it seems pretty harmless, just wanted to know if I can do my AVR or speakers any damage!

Thanks

Dan

Hey Dan,

Thats excellent news that you ordered the Towers! What finish did you order? To be honest I would order new speaker cables to be on the safe side. Nothing worse than a stray speaker cable causing damage to any of your gear.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #699 of 1517 Old 03-17-2012, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Hey Dan,

Thats excellent news that you ordered the Towers! What finish did you order? To be honest I would order new speaker cables to be on the safe side. Nothing worse than a stray speaker cable causing damage to any of your gear.

Bill

Not to start anything, but I have a different perspective on the cable question. There is absolutely nothing wrong with doing exactly what you suggested. There are several here at AVS that do just that to increase the "gauge" of the speaker cable. If they worked as a bi-wire then if you go with red to red, black to black then you're good to go. You'll just end up with a bigger gauge of wire.

Enjoy your towers they are great speakers. I still grin from ear to ear while listening to my set up.

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
post #700 of 1517 Old 03-17-2012, 05:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 70
I think Bill was just addressing Dan's worry about stacking two cables into a single binding post, which shouldn't be a problem unless Dan was using some pretty heavy gauge wire.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #701 of 1517 Old 03-17-2012, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey Dan,

Bill

Hey Bill I ordered Dark Cherry, with RAAL tweeters..I sold my B&W, and this morning they were picked up, the new owner had professional movers to packed them up. Now I'm left with a huge gap in my life

You just gave me an idea, I'll tape the ends so the spade wont have a chance to move. If that doesn't work I'll use some spare speaker cables I have around. They're just not as good looking

Thanks will keep you posted

Dan
post #702 of 1517 Old 03-17-2012, 06:00 PM

Liked: 63
Quote:

Thanks.

Hopefully there's enough space to fit them both in the same post.

Djoel

I've been using the Canare 4S11 cable for years with the pairs terminated together using the spade, and banana terminals found in the following link.

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/speaker/index.htm

The cable at $1.35/ft. is a little pricier than necessary, but the round cable with the grey matte finish is rugged, and looks very nice. I needed the spade ends at the amp due to lack of depth behind the amp in the audio tower.

Heavily addicted SACDBA member, starting the twelve steps tomorrow!
Jay
post #703 of 1517 Old 03-17-2012, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 102
Quote:

Hey Bill I ordered Dark Cherry, with RAAL tweeters..I sold my B&W, and this morning they were picked up, the new owner had professional movers to packed them up. Now I'm left with a huge gap in my life Dan

Nice, congrats Dan--I've got the perfect SACD I can send your way to break in the new towers .

With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
post #704 of 1517 Old 03-17-2012, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pet Motel View Post

I've been using the Canare 4S11 cable for years with the pairs terminated together using the spade, and banana terminals found in the following link.

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/speaker/index.htm

The cable at $1.35/ft. is a little pricier than necessary, but the round cable with the grey matte finish is rugged, and looks very nice. I needed the spade ends at the amp due to lack of depth behind the amp in the audio tower.

Thanks Jay I'll look into that, did you make your own cables?

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post

Nice, congrats Dan--I've got the perfect SACD I can send your way to break in the new towers .

Hey Steve, I was just wondering about that review of that certain artist. I thought it was getting heavy rotation...

Dan
post #705 of 1517 Old 03-17-2012, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 102
Quote:

Hey Steve, I was just wondering about that review of that certain artist. I thought it was getting heavy rotation...Dan

Soon, my friend-I know you and Bill are anxiously awaiting the review so you can purchase and add it to your collections . The delay is due to the fact that it's a stereo disc and my 2-channel Sierra NRT setup is currently "under construction" for a few more days.

With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
post #706 of 1517 Old 03-17-2012, 06:32 PM

Liked: 63
Quote:

Thanks Jay I'll look into that, did you make your own cables?

Dan

I was an HVAC tech/mechanic for 30+ years, I'm kind of what you'd call a "hands on" guy, so yes I'd not have even considered not stripping, and terminating the cable myself. It's a very easy thing to do.

On the other hand, the vendor I mentioned can ultrasonically weld the terminals on which is pretty cool!

Heavily addicted SACDBA member, starting the twelve steps tomorrow!
Jay
post #707 of 1517 Old 03-17-2012, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pet Motel View Post

I was an HVAC tech/mechanic for 30+ years, I'm kind of what you'd call a "hands on" guy, so yes I'd not have even considered not stripping, and terminating the cable myself. It's a very easy thing to do.

On the other hand, the vendor I mentioned can ultrasonically weld the terminals on which is pretty cool!

Very cool, I tend to do allot of things that even surprise me and I bet it's fun to do. The only thing is finding time.

Thanks

Dan
post #708 of 1517 Old 03-17-2012, 06:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 75
Quote:

Hey Bill I ordered Dark Cherry, with RAAL tweeters..I sold my B&W, and this morning they were picked up, the new owner had professional movers to packed them up. Now I'm left with a huge gap in my life

You just gave me an idea, I'll tape the ends so the spade wont have a chance to move. If that doesn't work I'll use some spare speaker cables I have around. They're just not as good looking

Thanks will keep you posted

Dan

Hi Dan,

We can add a 2nd bi-wireable/bi-ampable set of binding posts for you. It is not a problem for us and we have done it before with the towers and center. There is an additional fee for this but it isn't too bad...

I owe you an email still -- I am trying to do some catchup work today, during a huge storm here in SoCal...

David Fabrikant

audio professional and soft spoken representative of www.AscendAcoustics.com

post #709 of 1517 Old 03-17-2012, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi Dan,

We can add a 2nd bi-wireable/bi-ampable set of binding posts for you. It is not a problem for us and we have done it before with the towers and center. There is an additional fee for this but it isn't too bad...

I'll take it Problem solved.

Quote:

I owe you an email still -- I am trying to do some catchup work today, during a huge storm here in SoCal...

No worries Dave I know you're slammed, but thank you for the shout out here

Dan
post #710 of 1517 Old 03-17-2012, 07:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Dan,

Congrats on the new speakers and for selling the B&Ws so fast. Now the wait is on.

Quote:

Hi Dan,

Now thats what I would call outstanding service!

Bill

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #711 of 1517 Old 03-17-2012, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Dan,

Congrats on the new speakers and for selling the B&Ws so fast. Now the wait is on. Yes the buyer was highly motivated, and was really nice too making the transaction all the easier. What makes the waiting even more difficult is the stack of unopened hi rez cd. Btw Happy St Paddy's day

Quote:
Now thats what I would call outstanding service!

Bill

It's a good feeling

Dan
post #712 of 1517 Old 03-17-2012, 08:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

[quote=Djoel;21792809]
Quote:
Yes the buyer was highly motivated, and was really nice too making the transaction all the easier. What makes the waiting even more difficult is the stack of unopened hi rez cd. Btw Happy St Paddy's day

Thats great! Maybe the wait for the Towers will slow down your Hi-Rez buying, maybe not. Thanks and Happy St. Paddy's Day to you as well!

Quote:
It's a good feeling

It sure is as I have experienced the excellent service from Dave and the crew at Ascend. First class all the way.

Bill

post #713 of 1517 Old 03-21-2012, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Everybody too busy enjoying their new speakers to post? Can't say I blame you all. My face hurts from smiling so much during a listening session.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #714 of 1517 Old 03-21-2012, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Had a guy come over to hear my Sierras today....he recently auditioned some Goldenear towers which come equipped with ribbon but he was still impressed with the standard dome NrT...he brough along some spanish music and selected 2 specific tracks to play and was very pleased with the results. His primary concerns are basically space and placement issues with the actual physical size of the horizon cc...I told him...to wait a bit and come back when I finally get my horizon to see it for himself. I'll be ordering my STC very soon & will likely opt for the RAAL maybe after he hears the RAAL this will help negate what he heard with the Goldenears and he'll decide on the Ascends....

Old Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors, but we borrow it from our children!

Ascend Acoustics Towers,STC(RAAL) & 200 SE in espresso54" of Panny BlissAnthem MRX 300,Sony BDP-S380, Technics CD player & Apple TV....

{ PSA XS30 SE in Cordovan Cherry}
post #715 of 1517 Old 03-21-2012, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

Everybody too busy enjoying their new speakers to post? Can't say I blame you all. My face hurts from smiling so much during a listening session.

Regards,

RTROSE

Actually just sat down to watch HUGO and out the gate IMPRESSIVE again. As he puts out a big Cheesy GRIN . My goal for the weekend is full out Movie watching undisturbed. I actually think I prefer the sound of the ribbon. My ears find it easier to listen to at higher volumes. Anyone else out there with a mix of STC ribbon/Tower NRT tweeters?

post #716 of 1517 Old 03-21-2012, 06:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy p View Post

Had a guy come over to hear my Sierras today....

You mean Sierra Towers, right?

-curtis

Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #717 of 1517 Old 03-21-2012, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

You mean Sierra Towers, right?

Yeah...sorry about that, Curtis....he was very impressed with the Sierra Towers and loved the espresso satin finish...

Old Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors, but we borrow it from our children!

Ascend Acoustics Towers,STC(RAAL) & 200 SE in espresso54" of Panny BlissAnthem MRX 300,Sony BDP-S380, Technics CD player & Apple TV....

{ PSA XS30 SE in Cordovan Cherry}
post #718 of 1517 Old 03-21-2012, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Anyone have input on how would these compare with the Aperion Audio Verus Grand or Salk Song? We can take it to PM if needed.
post #719 of 1517 Old 03-21-2012, 08:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou99 View Post

Anyone have input on how would these compare with the Aperion Audio Verus Grand or Salk Song? We can take it to PM if needed.

Well...you are in the Ascend thread.....but...

I will say this, I have never heard an Aperion speaker that could hold up to an Ascend in the same price range.

The Salk Songtower would be at least, a good comparison.

-curtis

Help beat breast cancer!

post #720 of 1517 Old 03-22-2012, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Well I was just quoted the price of the custom Horizon, and it's a little steep for me and I completely understand the mark up cost because of the small amount of value being made.

So I'm proposing that anyone with any concern about the size of the Horizon put their order in for a custom to see if we can get the price down or close to the original STC aka Horizon. Come on guys turn your hats inside out and lets rally

Without saying much, it's a beauty, and still quite imposing if you ask me

DJoel
Reply Speakers

Tags
Speaker Systems

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page