**Official Ascend Acoustics Tower Thread** - Page 25 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
First ... 23  24  25 26  27  ... Last
Speakers > **Official Ascend Acoustics Tower Thread**
Billy p's Avatar Billy p 01:33 PM 03-22-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

Well I was just quoted the price of the custom Horizon, and it's a little steep for me and I completely understand the mark up cost because of the small amount of value being made.

So I'm proposing that anyone with any concern about the size of the Horizon put their order in for a custom to see if we can get the price down or close to the original STC aka Horizon. Come on guys turn your hats inside out and lets rally

Without saying much, it's a beauty, and still quite imposing if you ask me

DJoel

What configuration are we talking about and what would be the dimensions? RAAL or NrT?

I'd consider something <11" which is the current height of the horizon...I believe...

Djoel's Avatar Djoel 02:01 PM 03-22-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy p View Post

What configuration are we talking about and what would be the dimensions? RAAL or NrT?

I'd consider something <11" which is the current height of the horizon...I believe...

It's like 32.5 wide 8" high, and 12 deep with RAAL, but it's pretty much moot at this point as I put in my order for the Horizon.

Well, if happens that the STC is too big which I did some measurements now that my B&W center isn't in the way, it would be cool to have a back up plan.

DJoel
mariob33's Avatar mariob33 02:24 PM 03-22-2012
Quote:

It's like 32.5 wide 8" high, and 12 deep with RAAL, but it's pretty much moot at this point as I put in my order for the Horizon.

Well, if happens that the STC is too big which I did some measurements now that my B&W center isn't in the way, it would be cool to have a back up plan.

DJoel

Hey congrats and welcome to the club. You know what they say go big or go home..
Djoel's Avatar Djoel 02:36 PM 03-22-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariob33 View Post

Hey congrats and welcome to the club. You know what they say go big or go home..

Thanks Mario, if my gal B**ches about the size she'll have to cough up the rest of the cash.

Hopefully right around next week I'll have the speakers at home What's really important now.

DJoel
lou99's Avatar lou99 02:45 PM 03-22-2012
When should we expect the website updated with the horizon center information? This type of information should be published at the time of release. /honest
cschang's Avatar cschang 03:15 PM 03-22-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by lou99 View Post

When should we expect the website updated with the horizon center information? This type of information should be published at the time of release. /honest

Information is available on the Ascend Forum...here is the main thread:
http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?t=4914

It is not on the main website as a way to curb demand....but I'm sure Dave will get it there when he has time.
Ascend's Avatar Ascend 05:15 PM 03-22-2012
Quote:

Hi Lou,

Apologies... As Curtis pointed out, all of the information for the Horizon is published in our forum (including pictures). Performance specifications are basically the same as the Sierra Towers as the speakers use identical drivers and share the same cabinet volume. There is only a minor crossover modification required between the Towers and the Horizon due to the difference in baffle size.

That said, once we get fully caught up, a dedicated product page will be included on our website. We are, and always have been, more concerned with fulfilling orders then product marketing.

Please let me know if I can be of any assistance.
lou99's Avatar lou99 06:47 PM 03-22-2012
Thanks. I will wait for the website as I'm not a member of your Ascends Private forum (which is required to view pics).
cschang's Avatar cschang 07:24 PM 03-22-2012
Quote:

Thanks. I will wait for the website as I'm not a member of your Ascends Private forum (which is required to view pics).

There are pics in this thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=607
zheka's Avatar zheka 08:29 PM 03-22-2012
@mario33
I am curious if you tried to move the center forward a little bit so that it's inline or slightly over the edge of the shelf. If you did, was there any noticeable difference in sound?
mariob33's Avatar mariob33 09:19 PM 03-22-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by zheka View Post

@mario33
I am curious if you tried to move the center forward a little bit so that it's inline or slightly over the edge of the shelf. If you did, was there any noticeable difference in sound?

I actually have two audyssey runs which I have been loading reloading to the AVR to find the perfect location for the STC. Right now from where I am sitting 6.5ft back the STC slightly angled up for a more ear height match, set to 40hz for the STC and 60hz at the towers the font stage sounds great. It's a nice seamless cut across the front for both HT and my occasional 5ch music listening. The STC is much more pronounced and my ears are starting to be able to localize its sound pretty well. I find that the STC is much easier to listen to at higher levels. I'll try tomorrow to push it forward a bit and rerun my autosetup.
RTROSE's Avatar RTROSE 09:37 PM 03-22-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

Well...you are in the Ascend thread.....but...

I will say this, I have never heard an Aperion speaker that could hold up to an Ascend in the same price range.

The Salk Songtower would be at least, a good comparison.

The Aperion and Ascend comparison would be of great interest for me as the Ascend Towers and the Aperion Verus Grand Towers were on my short list of speakers.

I spent some time in the Aperion forum and they have just as many happy owners there as we do here, but all things being equal I have no regrets of going Ascend and I think I got the better speaker.

The other thing is that Aperion has free shipping. You NEVER get anything truly free it always costs something. I know that all of my money (or at least most of it) went into the speaker and not "free shipping".

Sorry for the ramble.

Regards,

RTROSE
RTROSE's Avatar RTROSE 10:05 PM 03-22-2012
Quote:

Becoming a member of the Ascend Forum is no more difficult than was signing up for AVS Forum. I have pics of the speakers and center in my build thread. Just click the link under my signature.

Regards,

RTROSE
lou99's Avatar lou99 07:14 AM 03-23-2012
I checked them out and the towers/center look great and if they sound better than the Sierra-1's it looks like they will be a smash hit. Several years ago Ascend was on my radar, but the aesthetics of the Sierra-1 center channel and the CMT "faux tower" turned me away both times. I'm glad there is a true monster center and tower option now. I cant wait to read more reviews and ultimately hear them in person. Cheers.
Djoel's Avatar Djoel 07:56 AM 03-23-2012
Quote:

I checked them out and the towers/center look great and if they sound better than the Sierra-1's it looks like they will be a smash hit. Several years ago Ascend was on my radar, but the aesthetics of the Sierra-1 center channel and the CMT "faux tower" turned me away both times. I'm glad there is a true monster center and tower option now. I cant wait to read more reviews and ultimately hear them in person. Cheers.

Funny thing I didn't like the aesthetics either, and a member here who we both had the same speakers swore by them, he send me the link to the website I just couldn't go pass the poly grain finish. At the time I had some Mythos ST which I wasn't too happy with the treble, in gloss black and thought they looked fantastic compare to the Ascend.

fast forward several years, and 4 pairs of speakers here I am waiting on some Towers, along with it's monster friend.

Where do you live?
If you're close buy you are welcome to take a listen once I'm all set up.

Djoel
lou99's Avatar lou99 08:04 AM 03-23-2012
I'm in queens and work in manhattan. I'd love to check them out! I did you get the center as well?
Djoel's Avatar Djoel 08:23 AM 03-23-2012
Look at that I'm in Manhattan Inwood area, and yes I went with the Horizon center.

At the moment I have a AVR, but looking to buy a 5 channel amp to go with the Towers and center.

Djoel/ Dan
merrymaid520's Avatar merrymaid520 11:53 AM 03-23-2012
Just got the news my STC (Horizon) with the RAAL was delivered today!!! Why am I still at work.....
cschang's Avatar cschang 11:54 AM 03-23-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post

Just got the news my STC (Horizon) with the RAAL was delivered today!!! Why am I still at work.....

You're the boss. Go home!
merrymaid520's Avatar merrymaid520 12:01 PM 03-23-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

You're the boss. Go home!

Good point....leaving soon
Djoel's Avatar Djoel 12:17 PM 03-23-2012
Quote:

Do what I do, the occasional cough, the random clearing of the throat, and the woe is the room spinning..People will start saying you don't look too good and jet out of there

Congrats, let us know what you think with some pics for us lacking imagination

Djoel
RevenG's Avatar RevenG 12:20 PM 03-23-2012
Just a quick post while I'm still at work. Yesterday evening UPS dropped off my STC (high gloss black, standard tweeter). It's replacing an original, pre-Nrt Sierra-1 center. Unfortunately I haven't had any time with it yet, I left some music on in PLII Music mode to give it a workout before I run Audyssey tonight. I'll post impressions and more setup pictures later.

Attachment 241421
LL
merrymaid520's Avatar merrymaid520 02:03 PM 03-23-2012
some quick pics.....

Now on to some listening
RTROSE's Avatar RTROSE 02:42 PM 03-23-2012
Very, very nice.

Enjoy.

Regards,

RTROSE
Djoel's Avatar Djoel 03:19 PM 03-23-2012
SWEET, nice a clean..Love it.

DJoel
avsnoob10's Avatar avsnoob10 03:36 PM 03-23-2012
Quote:

some quick pics.....

Now on to some listening

Wow, your setup looks very nice and clean. Is center different finish than towers?
merrymaid520's Avatar merrymaid520 04:32 PM 03-23-2012
Thanks Guys! I am very happy thus far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsnoob10 View Post

Wow, your setup looks very nice and clean. Is center different finish than towers?

Yes, the STC is High gloss black where as my Towers are the hand rubbed Piano black. Due to the costly upgrade for the PB finish I opted not to get it on the center. From most angles it looks very similar.
holt7153's Avatar holt7153 06:03 PM 03-23-2012
Quote:

SWEET, nice a clean..Love it.

DJoel

Agreed, killer room--really clean setup. I would cinch/hide those cables on the right with something like this and call it a day (I hate seeing cables ).
merrymaid520's Avatar merrymaid520 06:35 PM 03-23-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post

Agreed, killer room--really clean setup. I would cinch/hide those cables on the right with something like this and call it a day (I hate seeing cables ).

Thanks. I like the advice on clamping those few wires together as well. I will throw a zip tie on them for the time being. What are the odds that darn Ethernet jack had to be right in plain view.
holt7153's Avatar holt7153 06:52 PM 03-23-2012
Quote:

Thanks. I like the advice on clamping those few wires together as well. I will throw a zip tie on them for the time being. What are the odds that darn Ethernet jack had to be right in plain view.

Damn jacks never seem to be in the right place. The gloss black bezel on the Panny looks like it matches perfectly with the towers. I love the wide bezel "picture frame" look (I have the 58pz800u).
Tags: Speaker Systems
First ... 23  24  25 26  27  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop