post #811 of 1519 Old 04-02-2012, 07:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

Hey Bill you know it music has to come first here One of these days you have to come over and bring your favorite tunes

Dan

Dan,

I have not doubt that music comes first as I'm with you all the way. I will make it down to NYC one of these days and I will bring some of my favorite Patricia Barber SACDs.

Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 1519 Old 04-02-2012, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Dan,
Congrats man, love the finish. Towers as surrounds.....Jealous

Looking forward to your thoughts. We both have the same front soundstage, it's impressive to say the least!
post #813 of 1519 Old 04-02-2012, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post

Dan,
Congrats man, love the finish. Towers as surrounds.....Jealous

Looking forward to your thoughts. We both have the same front soundstage, it's impressive to say the least!

Thanks, I guess we're even I was jealous of that ample space you got there..

I have some tweaking ahead so it will be some time, not to mention a 16 month old that refuses to stay still

Dan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #814 of 1519 Old 04-03-2012, 12:38 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
4 towers and a horizon! Awesome!

Thanks for sharing Djoel!
post #815 of 1519 Old 04-03-2012, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Wow Djoel!!

Congrats; that's an awesome setup indeed!! Enjoy the new toys and keep us posted on the upcoming listening sessions, though

Regards, Chuck
Hold on tight to your dreams - ELO
post #816 of 1519 Old 04-03-2012, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by makutaku View Post

4 towers and a horizon! Awesome!

Thanks for sharing Djoel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avliner View Post

Wow Djoel!!

Congrats; that's an awesome setup indeed!! Enjoy the new toys and keep us posted on the upcoming listening sessions, though

Thanks Guys, will do..Last night I was toeing, moving, and pushing back the speakers...I'm dying to run the audyssey as it's still running B&W info...though I did chance a few things, like the crossover on the avr up to 90hz...And turn them down to small, don't know if I should keep the center to large It's a big center

DJoel

post #817 of 1519 Old 04-03-2012, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member

lowering the crossover below what Audyssey recommends will disable EQ'ing on that channel. I'd re-run Audyssey and do it right! It should choose Full for that center. You should then try out 60 or 80.
post #818 of 1519 Old 04-03-2012, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou99 View Post

lowering the crossover below what Audyssey recommends will disable EQ'ing on that channel. I'd re-run Audyssey and do it right! It should choose Full for that center. You should then try out 60 or 80.

Thanks Lou, I'll try that..

Dan

post #819 of 1519 Old 04-03-2012, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Depending on the room and version of Odyssey, you can change the xover. I have Odyssey xt32 and the recommended crossover for me is 40 across the front, which I haven't changed.
If you are running XT, then you can increase the crossover to either 60 or 80 because, that particular version did not have enough filters on the main in lower freq.

Speakers: Pioneer/TAD S-1EX, S-7EX, Ascend with RAAL upgrade
Pre/Pro: Onkyo PR-SC5508,Bel Canto Pre-6, Sherwood 972
Amp: Outlaw 770
Source:Oppo 105, Ciunas DAC, SB Touch
post #820 of 1519 Old 04-03-2012, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam1000 View Post

Depending on the room and version of Odyssey, you can change the xover. I have Odyssey xt32 and the recommended crossover for me is 40 across the front, which I haven't changed.
If you are running XT, then you can increase the crossover to either 60 or 80 because, that particular version did not have enough filters on the main in lower freq.

I have Denon 4311ci AVR, which should be the latest XT32?..I'll do some experimenting once I lay down my rug, don't want to hear perfection and then muddy it all up with changes.

Djoel

post #821 of 1519 Old 04-03-2012, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

That should have Audssey X32 (Awesome!). Lay down the rug! Your room is likely muddying up the sound
post #822 of 1519 Old 04-03-2012, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Dan,
XO settings etc are so room dependent. Mine for example are crossed over small at 100hz for the best integration with my sub.
post #823 of 1519 Old 04-03-2012, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That should have Audssey X32 (Awesome!). Lay down the rug! Your room is likely muddying up the sound

Yeah, I'll have to re calibrate my sub as well, it had it's own room correction too. I've move it's position from where I had it prior to the Towers coming home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post

Dan,
XO settings etc are so room dependent. Mine for example are crossed over small at 100hz for the best integration with my sub.

So true, woe your subs are doing all the heavy lifting!

Dan

post #824 of 1519 Old 04-03-2012, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:

Yeah, I'll have to re calibrate my sub as well, it had it's own room correction too. I've move it's position from where I had it prior to the Towers coming home.

It might be interesting if your just wipe clear the ARO settings in the Fathom and let Audyssey do all the EQ. XT32 has a lot of taps available and does a pretty good job.

Hey, its only your time I'm spending right?

Nice looking setup, congrat's.

~Nick

Augustine's Law: "The last 10% of performance generates one-third of the cost and two-thirds of the problems."

post #825 of 1519 Old 04-03-2012, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

The ultimate question is - how do you keep the kid quiet during the calibration?
post #826 of 1519 Old 04-03-2012, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmanick View Post

It might be interesting if your just wipe clear the ARO settings in the Fathom and let Audyssey do all the EQ. XT32 has a lot of taps available and does a pretty good job.

Hey, its only your time I'm spending right?

Thanks, Hmm I read that you should do any calibration to the sub if it has any type of RC.The audyssey would then take advantage of any lack of oddities before the ARO came into play, but one less step would be gravy.

Quote:

The ultimate question is - how do you keep the kid quiet during the calibration?

You give the wife some cash to go shopping, then I'm left with my noisy Yorkie There's no winning here.

Dan

post #827 of 1519 Old 04-03-2012, 03:34 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmanick View Post

+1.

That's a nice setup. Would love to hear some SACDs on that setup but I'm on west coast :-(
Enjoy!

Speakers: Pioneer/TAD S-1EX, S-7EX, Ascend with RAAL upgrade
Pre/Pro: Onkyo PR-SC5508,Bel Canto Pre-6, Sherwood 972
Amp: Outlaw 770
Source:Oppo 105, Ciunas DAC, SB Touch
post #828 of 1519 Old 04-03-2012, 03:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam1000 View Post

+1.

That's a nice setup. Would love to hear some SACDs on that setup but I'm on west coast :-(
Enjoy!

Oh geez! I recently got a BDP-83 and have been rediscovering some of my SACDs and DVD-As on my Sierra-1 and HTM-200SE setup after not having the capability for 3 years or so. Been loving it!

If I heard them on 4 Towers and a STC, I think I would cry!

-curtis

Owner of

Volunteer Mod at the

Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.

post #829 of 1519 Old 04-03-2012, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I have an SVS AS-EQ1 which I originally used to integrate two subs in my listening area. After running the equalization of the subs, I then ran the ARC room correction with the already eq'd subs. Due to the ARC seeing a fairly flat response with the subs, it set the crossover at 100HZ. Didn't like the localization of bass with this setting, so I took the AS-EQ1 out of the equation.

I ran the ARC room correction, used just one sub (SVS PC13 Ultra) and ended up with the Towers crossed at 65hz, and the Horizon at 60 Hz. The left and rights had considerable room gain peaks in the crossover region which is likely why the ARC had a higher XO for the Towers. Ultimately this configuration gave me a much better sounding system, tighter bass, and no sub localization issues.

I realize that every room has a different solution, point being that the Towers and Horizon have a solid, very tight bass response down to the thirties. Keep the sub crossover as low as possible to eliminate localization, and a muddied bass sound.

Heavily addicted SACDBA member, starting the twelve steps tomorrow!
Jay
post #830 of 1519 Old 04-03-2012, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pet Motel View Post

I have an SVS AS-EQ1 which I originally used to integrate two subs in my listening area. After running the equalization of the subs, I then ran the ARC room correction with the already eq'd subs. Due to the ARC seeing a fairly flat response with the subs, it set the crossover at 100HZ. Didn't like the localization of bass with this setting, so I took the AS-EQ1 out of the equation.

I ran the ARC room correction, used just one sub (SVS PC13 Ultra) and ended up with the Towers crossed at 65hz, and the Horizon at 60 Hz. The left and rights had considerable room gain peaks in the crossover region which is likely why the ARC had a higher XO for the Towers. Ultimately this configuration gave me a much better sounding system, tighter bass, and no sub localization issues.

I realize that every room has a different solution, point being that the Towers and Horizon have a solid, very tight bass response down to the thirties. Keep the sub crossover as low as possible to eliminate localization, and a muddied bass sound.

OK you guys convinced me, I'll try the Audyssey without the ARO on the sub and see how it goes.

Thanks Jay

On a different note I have to make a short comment so far on what I immediately notice about these speakers. They're just do not offend! Meaning that they're so light on the ears, clean would be another word.

Can't wait put in some listen hours that's for sure.

Dan

post #831 of 1519 Old 04-03-2012, 08:23 PM
Advanced Member

DJoel, I have a boom-stick mic stand with an adapter for the Audyssey mic uf needed
post #832 of 1519 Old 04-04-2012, 05:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

DJoel, I have a boom-stick mic stand with an adapter for the Audyssey mic uf needed

Thanks Lou I have a cheap one in the closet that will be in active duty over the weekend.

Dan

post #833 of 1519 Old 04-04-2012, 05:38 AM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Dan,

4 Towers!!!!!!! Really
Thats awesome

I can't wait to get my STC after looking at your pictures. Hopefully, it will be here Monday of next week! I hope to sell my 340SE center (come on someone buy it!) My plan is to eventually get two more STC's and have 3 STC's up front. I am hoping the STC will sit nicely on the TP-24 stands that I have filled with sand.

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100,  Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
post #834 of 1519 Old 04-04-2012, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov View Post

Dan,

4 Towers!!!!!!! Really
Thats awesome

I can't wait to get my STC after looking at your pictures. Hopefully, it will be here Monday of next week! I hope to sell my 340SE center (come on someone buy it!) My plan is to eventually get two more STC's and have 3 STC's up front. I am hoping the STC will sit nicely on the TP-24 stands that I have filled with sand.

I had to go four thanks
Glad I could help, I know you'll be very happy with the STC, OH DEAR di dyou say two more up front That would be awesome for sure, think you'll be teh first to do so. Can't wait to hear you're thoughts on the STC, and then the Trinty.

Djoel

post #835 of 1519 Old 04-04-2012, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:

OK you guys convinced me, I'll try the Audyssey without the ARO on the sub and see how it goes.

Thanks Jay

On a different note I have to make a short comment so far on what I immediately notice about these speakers. They're just do not offend! Meaning that they're so light on the ears, clean would be another word.

Can't wait put in some listen hours that's for sure.

Dan

Well you could try equalizing the sub first, see what you end up with and then try the other way and use what works out best.

I completely agree with your initial assessment of how clean, and that there is no fatigue in listening to them. For both movie tracks, and music, I think you will also come to appreciate their dynamic impact capabilities, as well as how faithfully they reproduce all content.

In addition, with a young one on the premesis, they also excell in low volume detail, which helps enjoy them at low levels. Let us know how they compare to the B&Ws after you've listened a while!

Heavily addicted SACDBA member, starting the twelve steps tomorrow!
Jay
post #836 of 1519 Old 04-05-2012, 04:39 AM
Gov
AVS Special Member

I need a favor please. Could someone measure from the floor up to where the bottom outer edge of the first woofer begins on the tower. The reason I ask is because the arm rest on a love seat we have in the family room would be about 12" in front of the bottom woofer and may be partically blocking it from the listening area.
Thanks

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100,  Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
post #837 of 1519 Old 04-05-2012, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I need a favor please. Could someone measure from the floor up to where the bottom outer edge of the first woofer begins on the tower. The reason I ask is because the arm rest on a love seat we have in the family room would be about 12" in front of the bottom woofer and may be partically blocking it from the listening area.
Thanks

Hey Gov

I'm at work right now Pal, I have to guesstimate roughly that is' less than 23" or so.

Dan

post #838 of 1519 Old 04-05-2012, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:

Thanks

Outer edge is ~19.5" and 22.5" to the centre of the cone....I am only using the base with pads(hardwood floors)...of course with spikes your adding another ~1.25"....

Quote:

Hey Gov

I'm at work right now Pal, I have to guesstimate roughly that is' less than 23" or so.

Dan

Good guesstimate lol....although you should be home listening to your "NEW" speakers....

Old Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors, but we borrow it from our children!

Ascend Acoustics (NrT)Towers, STC w RAAL, 200 SE in espresso
54" of Panasonic Bliss, Anthem MRX 300
Sony BDP-S380, TechnicsCD player, Apple TV
PSA XS30 SE in Cordovan Cherry
post #839 of 1519 Old 04-05-2012, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy p View Post

Outer edge is ~19.5" and 22.5" to the centre of the cone....I am only using the base with pads(hardwood floors)...of course with spikes your adding another ~1.25"....

Good guesstimate lol....although you should be home listening to your "NEW" speakers....

. you're so right, I've only been here since 7.am

Djoel

post #840 of 1519 Old 04-05-2012, 01:03 PM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Thanks guys!

Reply Speakers

Tags
Speaker Systems

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page