**Official Ascend Acoustics Tower Thread** - Page 32 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #931 of 1520 Old 04-30-2012, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Djoel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 7,697
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veda View Post

She'll like ribbon arrays even more. For non audio nuts they sound far more impressive...

Lol.
She really like that I save some cash at the end the most which might explain her silence for the last few weeks.


Djoel
Djoel is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #932 of 1520 Old 04-30-2012, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Veda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 2,338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

Lol.
She really like that I save some cash at the end the most which might explain her silence for the last few weeks.

Could be because she was hoping it wasn't new speakers but an engagement ring?
Veda is offline  
post #933 of 1520 Old 04-30-2012, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member
 
holt7153's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: City of Angels
Posts: 3,251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veda View Post

Could be because she was hoping it wasn't new speakers but an engagement ring?

they've only been together for 11 years--don't rush the guy .

***************************************
My girlfriend works at Hooters…in the kitchen.
holt7153 is offline  
post #934 of 1520 Old 04-30-2012, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Djoel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 7,697
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veda View Post

Could be because she was hoping it wasn't new speakers but an engagement ring?

Yeah what Steve said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post

they've only been together for 11 years--don't rush the guy .



You guys are talking about some scary stuff I'm only 43 years old, perhaps when I'm a bit more mature

Djoel
Djoel is offline  
post #935 of 1520 Old 04-30-2012, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member
 
lou99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 539
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
PC may be monitored... No more engagement talks!
lou99 is offline  
post #936 of 1520 Old 04-30-2012, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Djoel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 7,697
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by lou99 View Post

PC may be monitored... No more engagement talks!



Djoel is offline  
post #937 of 1520 Old 04-30-2012, 12:13 PM
Senior Member
 
ehoeft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
If one was to order the towers w/ the standard tweeter, would one be able to easily upgrade to the raal's in the future? Or do you need new towers?
ehoeft is offline  
post #938 of 1520 Old 04-30-2012, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Billy p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Markham,Ont
Posts: 1,304
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehoeft View Post

If one was to order the towers w/ the standard tweeter, would one be able to easily upgrade to the raal's in the future? Or do you need new towers?

There is one person whom switched from the standard to RAAL and did so himself...so...yeah...it's feasible but I would not undertake in doing so myself. Somewhere down the road, I'd just send the speakers back to Ascend and have Dave handle that...

Old Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors, but we borrow it from our children!

Ascend Acoustics Towers, STC w RAAL, 200 SE in espresso
54" of Panasonic Bliss, Anthem MRX 300
Sony BDP-S380, TechnicsCD player, Apple TV
PSA XS30 SE in Cordovan Cherry & Svs SB13U in sig
Billy p is online now  
post #939 of 1520 Old 04-30-2012, 12:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cschang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA
Posts: 14,782
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehoeft View Post

If one was to order the towers w/ the standard tweeter, would one be able to easily upgrade to the raal's in the future? Or do you need new towers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy p View Post

There is one person whom switched from the standard to RAAL and did so himself...so...yeah...it's feasible but I would not undertake in doing so myself. Somwwhere down the road...I'd just send the speakers back to Ascend and have Dave handle that...

But also keep in mind, once this upgrade is done, it can not be reversed, not even by Dave.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

cschang is offline  
post #940 of 1520 Old 04-30-2012, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DreamCatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 2,155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

They do so many things right, I was surprised once to find out that my sub wasn't on a few days ago.They dig pretty low when ask for, something that's hard to believe from a speaker with such a slim profile.
Obviously the highs are and the fluid mids are the speakers biggest strength. I think once I find some real ME time where I tweak them by experiment with placement, things like sound stage and imaging will become more apparent to me, even though I've been startle with some recording where I though someone sang to me from my right side living room window! The thing is I'm 3 flight up from the street.

These are great speakers, which surpass they're price.

PS. forgot to add that I have the Towers with just a Denon AVR 4311ci, I'm thinking of adding an amp later down the road when some cash floats up.

Dan

Thanks for the input Dan... sounds like Ascend has a real winner with the Towers... the Sierra-1s aren't to shabby either not to mention the rest of their speakers....
I also have the Denon 4311..... great minds think alike

DreamCatcher

StayThristyMyFriends
DreamCatcher is offline  
post #941 of 1520 Old 04-30-2012, 02:30 PM
Gov
AVS Special Member
 
Gov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NW Burbs of Chgo, IL
Posts: 3,269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

PS. forgot to add that I have the Towers with just a Denon AVR 4311ci, I'm thinking of adding an amp later down the road when some cash floats up.

Do you feel the 4311 amps are lacking at all with the towers? It is my understanding that they are the easiest load out of all the Ascend speakers to drive. Maybe I am incorrect?




Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100, Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
Gov is offline  
post #942 of 1520 Old 04-30-2012, 03:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cschang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA
Posts: 14,782
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov View Post

Do you feel the 4311 amps are lacking at all with the towers? It is my understanding that they are the easiest load out of all the Ascend speakers to drive. Maybe I am incorrect?

Pretty easy to drive...just not quite as easy as the CMT-340SE.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

cschang is offline  
post #943 of 1520 Old 04-30-2012, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mariob33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Holbrook, Ma
Posts: 1,713
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Send a message via Skype™ to mariob33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov View Post


Do you feel the 4311 amps are lacking at all with the towers? It is my understanding that they are the easiest load out of all the Ascend speakers to drive. Maybe I am incorrect?

I am driving the towers with a 3312 and it barely breaks a sweat, no heat issues, clipping or shutdowns. I have a A100, but decided against moving it out of the dedicated room to pair with the STC and Towers. I originally had a pair of emo UPA1's but dropped them after some testing of the towers with just the 3312 versus the upa's.

In search of video bliss...
mariob33 is online now  
post #944 of 1520 Old 04-30-2012, 04:08 PM
Senior Member
 
jclif77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariob33 View Post


I am driving the towers with a 3312 and it barely breaks a sweat, no heat issues, clipping or shutdowns. I have a A100, but decided against moving it out of the dedicated room to pair with the STC and Towers. I originally had a pair of emo UPA1's but dropped them after some testing of the towers with just the 3312 versus the upa's.

No drop off in sound quality as a result of the transition from upa's to the receiver?
jclif77 is offline  
post #945 of 1520 Old 04-30-2012, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mariob33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Holbrook, Ma
Posts: 1,713
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Send a message via Skype™ to mariob33
Quote:
Originally Posted by jclif77 View Post


No drop off in sound quality as a result of the transition from upa's to the receiver?

Not to these ears. The towers sounded Incredible either way.

In search of video bliss...
mariob33 is online now  
post #946 of 1520 Old 04-30-2012, 06:17 PM
Senior Member
 
jclif77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariob33 View Post


Not to these ears. The towers sounded Incredible either way.

I'm so jealous, enjoy
jclif77 is offline  
post #947 of 1520 Old 04-30-2012, 06:25 PM
Advanced Member
 
Ascend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: San Clemente, CA
Posts: 610
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehoeft View Post

If one was to order the towers w/ the standard tweeter, would one be able to easily upgrade to the raal's in the future? Or do you need new towers?

Hi ehoeft,

The upgrade requires some woodworking due to a cabinet modification to the tweeter cutout. If you have the right tools (router etc and have some experience) it is not too bad. However, without the right tools and/or woodworking experience, it should be considered difficult and will take several hours.

Curtis is right, it would be best to send them back to us for the tweeter upgrade.

David Fabrikant

audio professional and soft spoken representative of www.AscendAcoustics.com

Ascend is online now  
post #948 of 1520 Old 04-30-2012, 06:33 PM
Advanced Member
 
Ascend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: San Clemente, CA
Posts: 610
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by biznus97 View Post

Anyone listening to the towers from around 8 feet back? Wondering if they work well this close or of I need to be looking at bookshelves.

Hi Biznus,

The Sierra Towers have very tight phase integration between all of the drivers and if you notice, the physical spacing between all of them is as close as mechanically possible. The drivers will sum properly even at only 1 meter back, which is the mic distance we use for all of our measurements.

That said, 8 feet back should be considered ideal

David Fabrikant

audio professional and soft spoken representative of www.AscendAcoustics.com

Ascend is online now  
post #949 of 1520 Old 04-30-2012, 06:39 PM
Advanced Member
 
Ascend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: San Clemente, CA
Posts: 610
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamCatcher View Post

I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a pair of Ascend Towers and Horizon center, (second choice was/is the Salk SongTowers).......
The only hang up... deciding which finish to go with,
Satin Espresso or Satin Cherry, leaning towards Espresso, Cherry might be a bit to red......
Any opinions?

Hi DC, hope you are well!

Satin Espresso has been the most popular so far and has also had the highest WAF in our experience. Dark woods seem to be very popular right now.

David Fabrikant

audio professional and soft spoken representative of www.AscendAcoustics.com

Ascend is online now  
post #950 of 1520 Old 04-30-2012, 06:55 PM
Gov
AVS Special Member
 
Gov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NW Burbs of Chgo, IL
Posts: 3,269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

Pretty easy to drive...just not quite as easy as the CMT-340SE.

So in the middle between the 340 and Sierra bookshelf? Or in line with the 170's I guess




Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100, Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
Gov is offline  
post #951 of 1520 Old 04-30-2012, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Djoel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 7,697
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Hey Gov the 4311 seem to drive the Tower quite nicely, but I still want to grab a 5 channel amp to hear what the Towers will say.

Dan
Djoel is offline  
post #952 of 1520 Old 04-30-2012, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Veda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 2,338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I just noticed the wordings on the woofer specs. Does the CBM and CMT use different woofer material than the Sierras? I thought Ascends use aerogel woofers on all models... If different, why the difference?
Veda is offline  
post #953 of 1520 Old 04-30-2012, 11:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cschang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA
Posts: 14,782
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veda View Post

I just noticed the wordings on the woofer specs. Does the CBM and CMT use different woofer material than the Sierras? I thought Ascends use aerogel woofers on all models... If different, why the difference?

It has not been aerogel for quite sometime. Ascend now uses the term polygel for those models. Audax owns the term "aerogel" and when Ascend moved away from those drivers in the SE models, a new formula and term was needed.

I would assume the difference is due to different goals/needs.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

cschang is offline  
post #954 of 1520 Old 05-01-2012, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
glangford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,803
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariob33 View Post

I am driving the towers with a 3312 and it barely breaks a sweat, no heat issues, clipping or shutdowns. I have a A100, but decided against moving it out of the dedicated room to pair with the STC and Towers. I originally had a pair of emo UPA1's but dropped them after some testing of the towers with just the 3312 versus the upa's.

That's nice to know. I have a 3311ci (basically the same unit). I'm thinking of upgrading to a set of towers. Number 1 on the list has been the salk songtowers, but I've increasingly been reading this thread as well lately. Pluses are its a true 3 way, the salks not.

One concern I have is distance the ascend towers need from a wall. I'm probably stuck with about 12-16" of clearance. The transmission line cabinet seems according to reviews to work ok that close. What about the sierra's. How much clearance do I need?
glangford is offline  
post #955 of 1520 Old 05-01-2012, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Veda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 2,338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

It has not been aerogel for quite sometime. Ascend now uses the term polygel for those models. Audax owns the term "aerogel" and when Ascend moved away from those drivers in the SE models, a new formula and term was needed.

I would assume the difference is due to different goals/needs.

So pretty much the same thing then?
Veda is offline  
post #956 of 1520 Old 05-01-2012, 10:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cschang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA
Posts: 14,782
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post

One concern I have is distance the ascend towers need from a wall. I'm probably stuck with about 12-16" of clearance. The transmission line cabinet seems according to reviews to work ok that close. What about the sierra's. How much clearance do I need?

That should be sufficient space. Do you plan on using a sub?

The bass "sound" is also different between the Ascend and Salk.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

cschang is offline  
post #957 of 1520 Old 05-01-2012, 10:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cschang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA
Posts: 14,782
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veda View Post


So pretty much the same thing then?

Polygel vs aerogel? Yes, but the newer polygel woofs in the CMT and CBM are supposedly more durable.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

cschang is offline  
post #958 of 1520 Old 05-01-2012, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member
 
glangford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,803
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

That should be sufficient space. Do you plan on using a sub?

The bass "sound" is also different between the Ascend and Salk.

No I don't plan on a sub. 90% use for 2 channel music.

In what way are their bass sounds different?
glangford is offline  
post #959 of 1520 Old 05-01-2012, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mariob33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Holbrook, Ma
Posts: 1,713
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Send a message via Skype™ to mariob33
Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post


That's nice to know. I have a 3311ci (basically the same unit). I'm thinking of upgrading to a set of towers. Number 1 on the list has been the salk songtowers, but I've increasingly been reading this thread as well lately. Pluses are its a true 3 way, the salks not.

One concern I have is distance the ascend towers need from a wall. I'm probably stuck with about 12-16" of clearance. The transmission line cabinet seems according to reviews to work ok that close. What about the sierra's. How much clearance do I need?

In my setup this was a factor also. I was able to fine tune the setup By just toeing in the towers a bit. Had them more directed into/towards the mlp by doing this. I find this most pleasing and producing the best calibration results.

In search of video bliss...
mariob33 is online now  
post #960 of 1520 Old 05-01-2012, 05:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cschang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA
Posts: 14,782
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post

No I don't plan on a sub. 90% use for 2 channel music.

In what way are their bass sounds different?

The Ascend, to me, was more punchy and defined, the Salk was more resonant, and some would call smooth.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

cschang is offline  
Reply Speakers

Tags
Speaker Systems

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off