1Likes

post #961 of 1517 Old 05-07-2012, 08:58 AM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Two huge boxes are sitting in my foyer at home that were brought by the man driving the "little brown truck of happiness" and I am stuck at work till 6PM tonight!!! Stressful

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100,  Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #962 of 1517 Old 05-07-2012, 09:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov View Post

Two huge boxes are sitting in my foyer at home that were brought by the man driving the "little brown truck of happiness" and I am stuck at work till 6PM tonight!!! Stressful

My standard line....

"You look like you are not feeling well. Maybe you should go home and rest."

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #963 of 1517 Old 05-07-2012, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov View Post

I post this already, but all I do is start coughing. You do that around different group of people enough that they'll start to say you don't look good

Congrats on your towers

Djoel
post #964 of 1517 Old 05-07-2012, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Well....if anything the coughing or sudden sensation of not feeling so well will pave the road for staying home tomorrow....

Congrats...on the new speakers...Gov...now hurry up and get home..lol.

Old Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors, but we borrow it from our children!

Ascend Acoustics Towers,STC(RAAL) & 200 SE in espresso54" of Panny BlissAnthem MRX 300,Sony BDP-S380, Technics CD player & Apple TV....

{ PSA XS30 SE in Cordovan Cherry}
post #965 of 1517 Old 05-07-2012, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hand out surgical masks, or wear one yourself and tell people you don't want to spread any germs in the event that you have contracted something serious.
post #966 of 1517 Old 05-07-2012, 12:01 PM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 104
^^^you guys are killing me I decided I would "man up" and work through my newspeakeritis condition. It gives me something to look forward too.

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100,  Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
post #967 of 1517 Old 05-07-2012, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

I'm still torn on whether to order these or not. I was not impressed by my Sierra bookshelves to say the least. Just not much of an impact compared to my Beta 40s.

And if I'm going to order some a might as well get the Gloss Expresso (my sierras are that color) but the problem is that if I order according to their website I can't return them because the Gloss is a custom order? Or did I read that incorrectly.
post #968 of 1517 Old 05-07-2012, 01:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 View Post

I'm still torn on whether to order these or not. I was not impressed by my Sierra bookshelves to say the least. Just not much of an impact compared to my Beta 40s.

And if I'm going to order some a might as well get the Gloss Expresso (my sierras are that color) but the problem is that if I order according to their website I can't return them because the Gloss is a custom order? Or did I read that incorrectly.

Comparing bass impact of the bookshelf speaker to a floorstander with two larger woofers as well as cabinet volume...the Sierra-1 is at a disadvantage for sure. Is there anything you like about the speaker?

If bass is what impresses you, make sure you budget for a good subwoofer with bookshelves. While the Sierra-1 has great bass response for a bookshelf, it can't out do physics.

As for gloss being a custom order and not being part of the standard trial policy, you should call Ascend to clarify.

-curtis

Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #969 of 1517 Old 05-07-2012, 02:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

Comparing bass impact of the bookshelf speaker to a floorstander with two larger woofers as well as cabinet volume...the Sierra-1 is at a disadvantage for sure. Is there anything you like about the speaker?

If bass is what impresses you, make sure you budget for a good subwoofer with bookshelves. While the Sierra-1 has great bass response for a bookshelf, it can't out do physics.

As for gloss being a custom order and not being part of the standard trial policy, you should call Ascend to clarify.

Well I was running two Outlaw LFM-1+s with the Sierras. They sounded good for music...exceptionally well but for movies they just didn't sound too right. Had them crossed over at 80hz like the Betas. I just I can describe it as not being engulfed in the experience.

I don't listen loud either. No more than 95db peaks.
post #970 of 1517 Old 05-07-2012, 03:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 View Post

Well I was running two Outlaw LFM-1+s with the Sierras. They sounded good for music...exceptionally well but for movies they just didn't sound too right. Had them crossed over at 80hz like the Betas. I just I can describe it as not being engulfed in the experience.

I don't listen loud either. No more than 95db peaks.

Did you level match the subs with the Sierras? Even crossed at 80hz, the Betas are bigger speakers and will sound like it.

For kicks...cross them even higher and see what you think.

-curtis

Help beat breast cancer!

post #971 of 1517 Old 05-07-2012, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I kept running into people complaining not enough bass etc... this is why I keep telling people to buy towers whenever space allows. Then there's a good chance they wouldn't need to get a sub. In my experience towers last longer than bookshelves just because you decide to keep them longer for whatever reasons.
post #972 of 1517 Old 05-08-2012, 12:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Liked: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veda View Post

...this is why I keep telling people to buy towers whenever space allows. Then there's a good chance they wouldn't need to get a sub.

You really think that the best locations in the room for bass reproduction are exactly where your front L/R happen to be placed?

Sanjay
post #973 of 1517 Old 05-08-2012, 02:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post

That's nice to know. I have a 3311ci (basically the same unit). I'm thinking of upgrading to a set of towers. Number 1 on the list has been the salk songtowers, but I've increasingly been reading this thread as well lately. Pluses are its a true 3 way, the salks not.

One concern I have is distance the ascend towers need from a wall. I'm probably stuck with about 12-16" of clearance. The transmission line cabinet seems according to reviews to work ok that close. What about the sierra's. How much clearance do I need?

I wish i had the ascend tower to compare. I do have the sierra1 and ST, i thought the bass from the ST sounds cleaner and closer to ruthmik sound while the sierra are punchier. I prefer the ST bass, the sierra can sound like a small woofer trying to play hard with Rap material. Aside from the<80hz, the ST excel better in the upper bass.
post #974 of 1517 Old 05-08-2012, 03:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

You really think that the best locations in the room for bass reproduction are exactly where your front L/R happen to be placed?

Yes, if not then you have room issues and ain't worth getting good speakers because they won't sound optimal anyway. Spend that $ on room treatment or building a dedicated listening room instead. And you waste more floor space having a sub anyway when you can have super slim towers like the Sierras while having pretty good bass.
post #975 of 1517 Old 05-08-2012, 08:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicardoJoa View Post

I wish i had the ascend tower to compare. I do have the sierra1 and ST, i thought the bass from the ST sounds cleaner and closer to ruthmik sound while the sierra are punchier. I prefer the ST bass, the sierra can sound like a small woofer trying to play hard with Rap material. Aside from the<80hz, the ST excel better in the upper bass.

Interesting. I agree the Sierra-1 can struggle while alone with heavy bass material, in its limits, IMO, it sounds closer to a Rythmik than the Songtower The Sierra-1 and Rythmik mate extremely well to each other. The Songtower plays deeper and more effortless, as it should when comparison with the Sierra-1 bookshelf.

For upper bass, what frequencies or instruments are you referring to?

Wish you really did live in LA. Would love to audition speakers with you.

-curtis

Help beat breast cancer!

post #976 of 1517 Old 05-08-2012, 08:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yes, if not then you have room issues and ain't worth getting good speakers because they won't sound optimal anyway. Spend that $ on room treatment or building a dedicated listening room instead. And you waste more floor space having a sub anyway when you can have super slim towers like the Sierras while having pretty good bass.

Even with room treatments, physics dictate that best source for bass in a room is different than upper frequencies. A lot of discussion about it on these forums, and studies as well.

-curtis

Help beat breast cancer!

post #977 of 1517 Old 05-08-2012, 08:47 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

So, you compared these 2 without a sub?
When I had heard ST, I was more impressed with ST mid range. But with the tower's dedicated driver, I like the towers even better. I would have been happy with either of them, but with slim profile, the WAF goes up for Sierra Towers as well :-)

Speakers: Pioneer/TAD S-1EX, S-7EX, Ascend with RAAL upgrade
Pre/Pro: Onkyo PR-SC5508,Bel Canto Pre-6, Sherwood 972
Amp: Outlaw 770
Source:Oppo 105, Ciunas DAC, SB Touch
post #978 of 1517 Old 05-08-2012, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Even with room treatments, physics dictate that best source for bass in a room is different than upper frequencies. A lot of discussion about it on these forums, and studies as well.

Yes and Dave just wasted his time creating one hell of a tower when he could've continued selling those Sierras + a sub for the ultimate sound possible
post #979 of 1517 Old 05-08-2012, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Interesting. I agree the Sierra-1 can struggle while alone with heavy bass material, in its limits, IMO, it sounds closer to a Rythmik than the Songtower The Sierra-1 and Rythmik mate extremely well to each other. The Songtower plays deeper and more effortless, as it should when comparison with the Sierra-1 bookshelf.

For upper bass, what frequencies or instruments are you referring to?

Wish you really did live in LA. Would love to audition speakers with you.

Well there is no point in arguing which one sound closer to rythmik. One thing is that i never heard people discribing the rythmik as punchy. In fact, i have heard that they are less punchy then the competetion like HSU and the empire. The rythmik should mate pretty well with most speakers as along as phase is dial in. Not just with the sierra. Well there sierra is definetely some delicate speaker, but they fit better in smaller space.
post #980 of 1517 Old 05-08-2012, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam1000 View Post

So, you compared these 2 without a sub?
When I had heard ST, I was more impressed with ST mid range. But with the tower's dedicated driver, I like the towers even better. I would have been happy with either of them, but with slim profile, the WAF goes up for Sierra Towers as well :-)

One thing i always wonder, is that how would the sierra tower sound if they are macthed with different, more exotic driver such as Sea excel, acutton scanspeak or others. Oubviously there is pretty much going to be a new desing, but i thought Dave could take advatnage of the very good bamboo and built something crazy.
post #981 of 1517 Old 05-08-2012, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

One thing i always wonder, is that how would the sierra tower sound if they are macthed with different, more exotic driver such as Sea excel, acutton scanspeak or others. Oubviously there is pretty much going to be a new desing, but i thought Dave could take advatnage of the very good bamboo and built something crazy.

Yes something along half the price of a Salk SS10 with Accutons would be interesting.
post #982 of 1517 Old 05-08-2012, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

Are there any plans for a larger (than towers) offering from Ascend?
post #983 of 1517 Old 05-08-2012, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

Well there is no point in arguing which one sound closer to rythmik. One thing is that i never heard people discribing the rythmik as punchy. In fact, i have heard that they are less punchy then the competetion like HSU and the empire. The rythmik should mate pretty well with most speakers as along as phase is dial in. Not just with the sierra. Well there sierra is definetely some delicate speaker, but they fit better in smaller space.

Have you heard the Rythmik yourself? I find my Rythmik sounds punchier(word?) than any other commercial sub I have heard. The Rythmiks servo produces some of the most realisitc bass IMHO. Your thoughts on bass reproduction in regards to subs and Towers completely differs from my experience
post #984 of 1517 Old 05-08-2012, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes something along half the price of a Salk SS10 with Accutons would be interesting.

I think something in the $4500 ranger is doable with acuton and scanspeak illuminator bass driver 3 way thats reach dow to mid 30s. Honestly, i can do with other drivers as long as Dave think is apropriate but i do prefer for a CHANGE in driver material..
post #985 of 1517 Old 05-08-2012, 10:34 AM

Liked: 24
Quote:

I think something in the $4500 ranger is doable with acuton and scanspeak illuminator bass driver 3 way thats reach dow to mid 30s. Honestly, i can do with other drivers as long as Dave think is apropriate but i do prefer for a CHANGE in driver material..

Quote:

Click here.
post #986 of 1517 Old 05-08-2012, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post

Have you heard the Rythmik yourself? I find my Rythmik sounds punchier(word?) than any other commercial sub I have heard. The Rythmiks servo produces some of the most realisitc bass IMHO. Your thoughts on bass reproduction in regards to subs and Towers completely differs from my experience

Well, im hearing and i own one. Thats why i said there is no point in arguing. I have read the review that one member posted a very long awhile ago about many diffferent Subs he did review , so i know what there comments were. Being less punchy or more punchy isnt something to be considered as being better or worse, so there is absolutley no need to beat on this topic. Being realistic doesnt mean is going to be punchy or is it? We all have different taste, i would rather enjoy as many speakers as i can then seatle with one alone.

I dont see any advantage to have rythmik blend to sierra or ST. They need different adjument but they both sound good with rythmik. Actually, they blend very nice with my sealed Altec's.
post #987 of 1517 Old 05-08-2012, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65 Electra Glide View Post

Click here.

I know selah very long. The tempesta are honestly very good speaker even without listening
But for me, i prefer something with a proper midrange that cover miranage frequencies, bass that cover bass frequencies. And i want bamboo.
With that in mind, those PE cabinets arent going to fit a 5 in acuton with proper comparment and a scanspeak 7 in. With custom work, the price will have to go up. Like i said, i dont have to seatle with acuton or scanspeak.
post #988 of 1517 Old 05-08-2012, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

Well, im hearing and i own one. Thats why i said there is no point in arguing. I have read the review that one member posted a very long awhile ago about many diffferent Subs he did review , so i know what there comments were. Being less punchy or more punchy isnt something to be considered as being better or worse, so there is absolutley no need to beat on this topic. Being realistic doesnt mean is going to be punchy or is it? We all have different taste, i would rather enjoy as many speakers as i can then seatle with one alone.

I dont see any advantage to have rythmik blend to sierra or ST. They need different adjument but they both sound good with rythmik. Actually, they blend very nice with my sealed Altec's.

Thanks for clarifying. As for the relation between punchy and realisitc, I think they go hand in hand. Its the overhang(decay?) and sloppiness of other subs I have heard that makes them less punchy to me. To each their own, right!
post #989 of 1517 Old 05-08-2012, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post

Thanks for clarifying. As for the relation between punchy and realisitc, I think they go hand in hand. Its the overhang(decay?) and sloppiness of other subs I have heard that makes them less punchy to me. To each their own, right!

Well sloppiness can come from poor integration from the main. So even if you have world best sub, it can sound sloppy with poor integration. Unless you listen to your music with only sub. i know you dont.
post #990 of 1517 Old 05-08-2012, 11:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yes and Dave just wasted his time creating one hell of a tower when he could've continued selling those Sierras + a sub for the ultimate sound possible

You forgot the midrange.

The bass on the Sierra Tower is excellent, but a great sub does it better.

-curtis

Help beat breast cancer!

Reply Speakers

Tags
Speaker Systems

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page