1Likes

post #1021 of 1517 Old 05-10-2012, 05:43 AM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 103
As many of you know I have had the 340SE mains for years and thought the world of them. I decided to replace them with the towers. I got the towers the other day and dialed them in on my Denon 4311. Although I have not done much critical listening yet, I could easily tell that the towers had much more detail / separation and better dynamics than the 340SE's. I also noticed that the towers are about 3dB more sensitive in my room than the 340SE's when placed in the same spot after running Audyssey. I was a bit suprised there. Anyway, I am very happy with the towers and I think having a dedicated midrange and the 3 way design is just flat out better when it comes to detail and dynamics than a 2 way. I am sure that is not always the case, but with Dave's 3 way towers it most certainly is!

If anyone is on the fence looking to step up from the 340's to the towers don't hesitate, you will be happy you did

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100,  Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1022 of 1517 Old 05-10-2012, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascend View Post

Hi 357,

It is tough to move from a tower speaker to a bookshelf sized speaker for home theater where dynamics are concerned. Depending on how far back you are seated, 95dB peaks should actually be considered quite loud and the Sierra-1 might simply be running out of steam compared to your towers.

That said, our Sierra Towers offer exceptional dynamics and are a considerable step up from our Sierra-1. They will give you that "big" sound that you are after for home theater, and since you really liked the Sierra-1 for music, be assured that our towers provide even better performance

Our next batch of cabinets are in production right now so that means that if you want a gloss finish, now is the perfect time. Send us an email or give us a call to discuss your concerns regarding our 30-day satisfaction guarantee.

Take care!

Thanks for the response. I appreciate your support. Makes me feel good that I know a company wants to help me.
post #1023 of 1517 Old 05-10-2012, 07:24 PM

Liked: 14
Dan,
Thanks. For a long time I could not get the Martin Logan panels out of my head. The Sierra towers/Horizon are helping me forget. Took some pictures and hopefully will post this weekend when I move the pictures from my camera to the computer.
post #1024 of 1517 Old 05-10-2012, 07:27 PM

Gov, congrats and enjoy your new towers.
post #1025 of 1517 Old 05-11-2012, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob from NJ View Post

Dan,
Thanks. For a long time I could not get the Martin Logan panels out of my head. The Sierra towers/Horizon are helping me forget. Took some pictures and hopefully will post this weekend when I move the pictures from my camera to the computer.

Good to hear that, I too could not get the ML's out my head, glad that's over.

Dan
post #1026 of 1517 Old 05-11-2012, 05:45 PM

Pictures of the Sierra Towers/Horizon with grills off.
Attachment 246308

Attachment 246306

Attachment 246307
LL
LL
LL
post #1027 of 1517 Old 05-11-2012, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Pictures of the Sierra Towers/Horizon with grills off.
Attachment 246308

Attachment 246306

Attachment 246307

Beautiful Rob, simply awesome..Love the SVS

Congrats again.

Djoel
post #1028 of 1517 Old 05-23-2012, 04:45 PM

Ok, so I got the Black Matte finish, good for HT. I've been moving the towers around quite frequently over the past few weeks and while very durable, noticed smudge marks where my hands/fingers are used to move the towers. I sprayed/wiped some Pledge Furniture Cleaner, however, had little effect. Probably covered already, however, any guidance on cleaning the black matte finish on the Sierra Towers/Horizon? Cleaning products that I can use, as well as, products that I should not use? Thanks.
post #1029 of 1517 Old 05-23-2012, 05:01 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 76
Quote:

Ok, so I got the Black Matte finish, good for HT. I've been moving the towers around quite frequently over the past few weeks and while very durable, noticed smudge marks where my hands/fingers are used to move the towers. I sprayed/wiped some Pledge Furniture Cleaner, however, had little effect. Probably covered already, however, any guidance on cleaning the black matte finish on the Sierra Towers/Horizon? Cleaning products that I can use, as well as, products that I should not use? Thanks.

Hi Rob,

I hope you are enjoying your Sierra Towers!

This is what we use at the office... Works great. http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/...FQxshwodYBlM2w

Since the cabinet surface is textured, use a rag that will not break apart and leave lint. We actually use grille cloth

David Fabrikant

audio professional and soft spoken representative of www.AscendAcoustics.com

post #1030 of 1517 Old 05-23-2012, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascend View Post

Hi Rob,

I hope you are enjoying your Sierra Towers!

This is what we use at the office... Works great. http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/...FQxshwodYBlM2w

Since the cabinet surface is textured, use a rag that will not break apart and leave lint. We actually use grille cloth

Hi Dave, Thanks. I'll check out the Zep cleaner. I'm absolutely loving the Sierra towers and Horizon. I've been sneaking off and listening to more music, as well as, playing movies. Thank you for great speakers.
post #1031 of 1517 Old 06-06-2012, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Just wanted to give a quick shout out to Dave and Dina for the tremendous hustle on my recent Sierra Tower/Horizon order. I called Thursday to inquire about availability and Dina said everything was in stock and just needed to be assembled. Well, they were finished on Friday and I picked them up on Saturday smile.gif.

Outstanding customer service and a fantastic product--thanks and keep up the good work.

With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
post #1032 of 1517 Old 06-06-2012, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 246
Congrats holt. Let us know how you like them compared to other speakers you've had! wink.gif

For every new thing I learn, I forget two things I used to know.
post #1033 of 1517 Old 06-06-2012, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaveav View Post

Congrats holt. Let us know how you like them compared to other speakers you've had! wink.gif

Hey thanks. They're considerably more detailed and dynamic than my old speakers (Monitor Audio RS6/RSLCR/RS1). I also moved my Sierra-1 NRTs from another room to be used as surrounds with the Towers & Horizon. Last night I watched part of Tron: Legacy followed by some multichannel SACDs and I'm very impressed cool.gif.

post #1034 of 1517 Old 06-07-2012, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post

Hey thanks. They're considerably more detailed and dynamic than my old speakers (Monitor Audio RS6/RSLCR/RS1). I also moved my Sierra-1 NRTs from another room to be used as surrounds with the Towers & Horizon. Last night I watched part of Tron: Legacy followed by some multichannel SACDs and I'm very impressed cool.gif.

Congrats Steve on the new babies, enjoy Bro:)

Dan
post #1035 of 1517 Old 06-07-2012, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

Congrats Steve on the new babies, enjoy Bro:)
Dan

thanks, Dan wink.gif.

post #1036 of 1517 Old 06-21-2012, 04:05 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post

Just wanted to give a quick shout out to Dave and Dina for the tremendous hustle on my recent Sierra Tower/Horizon order. I called Thursday to inquire about availability and Dina said everything was in stock and just needed to be assembled. Well, they were finished on Friday and I picked them up on Saturday smile.gif.
Outstanding customer service and a fantastic product--thanks and keep up the good work.

It was our pleasure and thank YOU smile.gif

I hope you are enjoying the towers!

David Fabrikant

audio professional and soft spoken representative of www.AscendAcoustics.com

post #1037 of 1517 Old 06-21-2012, 07:17 PM

Liked: 12
What would you recommend for MOVIE ONLY watching in a 12 x 16 room?

2-2.5k to spend on 5 speakers? Maybe more if the improvement is immense.

Sitting distance is about 8 10 feet with couch against wall. I DO NOT plan on listeningto music. Main concern is movies.

Thanks
post #1038 of 1517 Old 06-22-2012, 08:09 PM

Is there anyone in the Minneapolis, St. Paul area that would grant me an audition of the sierra-1 or the sierra towers? Trying to decide on a setup and really want to try to listen to as many speakers in my price range as i can. Trying to decide between these or paradigm studio series. Thanks!
post #1039 of 1517 Old 06-23-2012, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

If you are only concerned about movies, how about:

CMT-340 SE's for LCR
CBM-170 for your surrounds.

This would save you around $1000-1500 from your budget. Then you can spend $1,000 on a subwoofer.

With your budget, you could also do Sierra-1's all around. I believe that would also fit in your budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyp3 View Post

What would you recommend for MOVIE ONLY watching in a 12 x 16 room?
2-2.5k to spend on 5 speakers? Maybe more if the improvement is immense.
Sitting distance is about 8 10 feet with couch against wall. I DO NOT plan on listeningto music. Main concern is movies.
Thanks
post #1040 of 1517 Old 06-23-2012, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 135
I live in the Memphis Tennessee area and was wondering if any of you Ascend Tower owners might happen to have a pair that you would be so kind as to let me demo at your place? I do a lot of traveling in this area, mostly around the Memphis area, but I also frequent southeast Missouri, Northeast Arkansas, and Northwest Mississippi. So with that being said, if any of you nice fella's might happen to have a pair for me to demo, then please pm me!
post #1041 of 1517 Old 06-23-2012, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
That sierra tower center looks so beastly. Me want.
post #1042 of 1517 Old 07-06-2012, 04:42 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I think there a custom center available now which has a smaller footprint.

Ascend Towers with RAAL
Onkyo PR-SC5508
Bel Canto Pre-6
Outlaw 770
Oppo 105
Ciunas DAC
post #1043 of 1517 Old 07-06-2012, 07:51 PM

The custom center technically has a larger footprint in exchange for less height. It's basically like a tower laid on it's side with the bottom missing.
post #1044 of 1517 Old 07-13-2012, 10:32 AM

Liked: 13
Does anyone know the dimensions and pricing of the custom center. I'm crossing my fingers that it's no taller than 7.5". If so I'm envisioning that center with the two towers as mains which I think would make me content for a very long time.

A couple of other questions as well:
If I wanted to go with this setup and wanted a ribbon tweeter upgrade would I need to do this for all three across the front or could I do just the mains or center?
I have an existing CMT 340 center (the older one just before the SE version) and was wondering if I'd be able to move this to one of the surrounds. Two possible concerns are the rotation of the tweeter (not sure if that is an issue or not) and worrying about it not matching the other surround which I guess would have to be an SE version. I assume they would sound close enough?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Chris Brown
post #1045 of 1517 Old 07-13-2012, 05:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchrisbrown View Post

Does anyone know the dimensions and pricing of the custom center. I'm crossing my fingers that it's no taller than 7.5". If so I'm envisioning that center with the two towers as mains which I think would make me content for a very long time.
Dave mentioned on the Ascend forum that these "custom" centers can vary in dimension depending on need. That said, the Tower itself is 7.5" wide, so I would imagine that would be the minimum height the center could be....but then it would have to be pretty deep and/or wide. You should call Ascend to discuss.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchrisbrown View Post

A couple of other questions as well:
If I wanted to go with this setup and wanted a ribbon tweeter upgrade would I need to do this for all three across the front or could I do just the mains or center?
I have an existing CMT 340 center (the older one just before the SE version) and was wondering if I'd be able to move this to one of the surrounds. Two possible concerns are the rotation of the tweeter (not sure if that is an issue or not) and worrying about it not matching the other surround which I guess would have to be an SE version. I assume they would sound close enough?
It would be best to do the RAAL all across the front, but there are some that have done just the center or mains to satisfaction. It is really dependent on each individual's tastes and pocketbook.

Two things you would have to do with that "classic" 340; first, rotate the tweeter, and second, change the EXBAC circuit. Again, something to discuss with Ascend. What are you using for your current L/R?

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #1046 of 1517 Old 07-13-2012, 05:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

One of the best customer pictures I have seen for the Sierra Tower.

Post is here: http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showpost.php?p=40753&postcount=275

-curtis

Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #1047 of 1517 Old 07-14-2012, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Ok so call me crazy, but I am thinking of asking Dave to build me a custom center channel that is just like the Horizon but also has a built in, powered 10 inch driver, much like the Definitive Technology c/l/r-3000 & c/l/r-8080. Either that or possibly a custom Horizon with passive duel 8 inch drivers on the outside of the front baffle. I want to have a full range center channel that can extend down to around 30hz to 35hz..

I know that a lot of you guys are going to slam me for thinking of doing this, saying that their isn't that much low end information in the center channel, but that is simply not true. I currently have a Def Tech system for my ht, ( I have Sierra's in another room and Salks in my br) and after using the c/l/r-2000 for a while, I was thinking of upgrading to the c/l/r-3000 in order to get the powered sub built into the center. Then someone in the Def Tech thread suggested that instead, I should look into buying a cheap sub that only goes down to the mid 30's, then run speaker cable from my avr to the sub's inputs then speaker cable from the subs outputs to the center channel speaker that I am using. I picked up a Def Tech Super cube 3 sub and hooked it up, as suggested. This is kind of a "work around" way to maximize the full range signal. It worked great and I have since discovered that there is a pretty decent amount of bass that is coming through the center.

I really like my Sierra's and am thinking of replacing my Def Techs with them, as soon as I can land a Horizon center channel. What do you guys think of this?
post #1048 of 1517 Old 07-14-2012, 07:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

Ok so call me crazy, but I am thinking of asking Dave to build me a custom center channel that is just like the Horizon but also has a built in, powered 10 inch driver, much like the Definitive Technology c/l/r-3000 & c/l/r-8080. Either that or possibly a custom Horizon with passive duel 8 inch drivers on the outside of the front baffle. I want to have a full range center channel that can extend down to around 30hz to 35hz..
I know that a lot of you guys are going to slam me for thinking of doing this, saying that their isn't that much low end information in the center channel, but that is simply not true. I currently have a Def Tech system for my ht, ( I have Sierra's in another room and Salks in my br) and after using the c/l/r-2000 for a while, I was thinking of upgrading to the c/l/r-3000 in order to get the powered sub built into the center. Then someone in the Def Tech thread suggested that instead, I should look into buying a cheap sub that only goes down to the mid 30's, then run speaker cable from my avr to the sub's inputs then speaker cable from the subs outputs to the center channel speaker that I am using. I picked up a Def Tech Super cube 3 sub and hooked it up, as suggested. This is kind of a "work around" way to maximize the full range signal. It worked great and I have since discovered that there is a pretty decent amount of bass that is coming through the center.
I really like my Sierra's and am thinking of replacing my Def Techs with them, as soon as I can land a Horizon center channel. What do you guys think of this?

there is no way you can cramp a 10 in in the horizon or the tower without increase the size and volume of the cabinets.
DT are three way, the Sierrra are already three way, so you would be better off asking Dave to built you a sierra with larger drivers that digs even lower. But larger drivers also will increase cabinet volume over the currrent woofer requirements. Hard to beat an enclosure like the sierra that digs that low.
DT freq spec, what are the plus and minus ?
post #1049 of 1517 Old 07-14-2012, 09:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Another nice picture....

-curtis

Help beat breast cancer!

post #1050 of 1517 Old 07-14-2012, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Curtis-a pair of those would sure look good in your place smile.gif.

Reply Speakers

Tags
Speaker Systems

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page