AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by avsnoob10 View Post

Thanks "Grandarf".

Someone who already auditioned new towers and Paradigm Studio 60s can compare them? I know Studio 60s are 2 1/2-way vs new Sierra towers, a true 3-way design.

np, "avsnoob10"

I haven't heard the Sierra towers, but years ago, in the days of old, when the 340SEs were the top Ascend dogs, I think they compared favorably to the Studios of then (clicky!). The original Sierras were said to fare quite well vs the more expensive Signatures 2 (http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?t=3136), so everything said, with the new NrT upgrade and the new dedicated mids of the Sierra towers, I'd be very surprised if the Ascend towers didn't fare well against the Paradigm Signature line, let alone compare very favorably to the Studio line...

By all accounts, the NrT towers are a step above the bookshelves, adds a new layer of detail/transparency/realism/imaging/etc because of that mid... Not to mention probably superior bass from the twin woofers, really, can't go wrong Ascend imho... All of their products were always top notch, offered great bang for the buck, these towers should be no different...

I'd be curious to see the shipping to Canada though... But don't think I'll be getting a pair, the Sierras NrT upgrade should satisfy my upgradetitis for a while, and I already have way too many speakers! But if I was looking for a pair, these would probably be it, if as reported they're anything like the 340SE and Sierras, which I Both own and was impressed by! Still, upgrade cost would probably offset the sound quality improvement. Which is a bit my issue with Sierras NrTs: 300$ wasn't a lot of money for an upgrade, (plus will probably salvage old tweeter/crossover in a DIY projet), but spending 2500 for towers (ship, taxes,brokerage, etc.) for an upgrade, is quite a bit more expensive... But if I had no speakers, or crap speakers, then I'd most definitely go for it. Or maybe if they were in a bigger room or something...

But yeah, heard way too many speakers (going audio shows and stuff), super expensive towers can definitely 'do more' than the Sierra bookshelves, but they cost a lot more too... I don't doubt that the Ascend Sierra NrT towers are a relatively cheap way to get there, as were 340SEs & Sierras to their relative speaker comparisons... Getting a significant upgrade from NrT Sierras would probably cost a bundle...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1519 Old 12-25-2010, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would concur with the audioholics thread. When I was first searching for speakers in 2006 I liked the Studio 20, but I preferred the 340. However, I never heard them at the same time in my room (the 340 was $568, the Paradigm $900, btw). The Sierra-1 was definitely an improvement to the 340.

The upgrade takes everything to a new level. More detail, better imaging.

The towers are even more profound. That midrange is a real winner.

No direct comparisons to anything by Paradigm. The only one was with a Songtower.

I preferred the Songtower to the Sierra-1. The NrT upgrade, a small bookshelf compared to a tower, was just about even. In general, Ascend speakers image better -- the Songtowers are very finicky with regard to placement, and they have poor off-axis sound.

The Sierra tower was a revelation. Amazing detail and imaging. Terrific off-axis response. If I had the space I would have waited for the towers instead of driving to San Clemente Thursday for my upgrade. To me it is a lot better than the Songtower at what will be the same price. And I heard a version made of MDF, not the final bamboo, which will improve the sound a bit.

Still, I have read posts by people who preferred the Studio 20 to the 340, and our listening session was sighted, even though we were using a switch. In other words, YMMV.

AVS: Where everything you write will be used against you.
post #93 of 1519 Old 12-25-2010, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandarf View Post

np, "avsnoob10"

I haven't heard the Sierra towers, but years ago, in the days of old, when the 340SEs were the top Ascend dogs, I think they compared favorably to the Studios of then (clicky!). The original Sierras were said to fare quite well vs the more expensive Signatures 2 (http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?t=3136), so everything said, with the new NrT upgrade and the new dedicated mids of the Sierra towers, I'd be very surprised if the Ascend towers didn't fare well against the Paradigm Signature line, let alone compare very favorably to the Studio line...

By all accounts, the NrT towers are a step above the bookshelves, adds a new layer of detail/transparency/realism/imaging/etc because of that mid... Not to mention probably superior bass from the twin woofers, really, can't go wrong Ascend imho... All of their products were always top notch, offered great bang for the buck, these towers should be no different...

I'd be curious to see the shipping to Canada though... But don't think I'll be getting a pair, the Sierras NrT upgrade should satisfy my upgradetitis for a while, and I already have way too many speakers! But if I was looking for a pair, these would probably be it, if as reported they're anything like the 340SE and Sierras, which I Both own and was impressed by! Still, upgrade cost would probably offset the sound quality improvement. Which is a bit my issue with Sierras NrTs: 300$ wasn't a lot of money for an upgrade, (plus will probably salvage old tweeter/crossover in a DIY projet), but spending 2500 for towers (ship, taxes,brokerage, etc.) for an upgrade, is quite a bit more expensive... But if I had no speakers, or crap speakers, then I'd most definitely go for it. Or maybe if they were in a bigger room or something...

But yeah, heard way too many speakers (going audio shows and stuff), super expensive towers can definitely 'do more' than the Sierra bookshelves, but they cost a lot more too... I don't doubt that the Ascend Sierra NrT towers are a relatively cheap way to get there, as were 340SEs & Sierras to their relative speaker comparisons... Getting a significant upgrade from NrT Sierras would probably cost a bundle...

This is exactly what I'm expecting from the new Ascend Tower!

While the Sierra's had a huge impact on the bookshelf speaker market, setting a new standard in their price range and above, imho.....
they have a ton of competition.
The new Ascend Towers won't have near that level of competition, as
I don't feel there are that many "special" tower speakers in the $2k price range. Just my opinion naturally......

DreamCatcher

StayThristyMyFriends
post #94 of 1519 Old 12-25-2010, 10:49 AM

Whats the cost of these new towers, and when are the available. I am not seeing them on the web?

Thanks
post #95 of 1519 Old 12-25-2010, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLee View Post

so are you saying the sierra nrt centere would have the 5.5 inch woofers to the left and right of the vertically coupled nrt tweet/6.5 inch midrange combo??

If so, that is a similar arrangement to how paradigm configures their 3 way centere.

And on that topic, how does the sierra 1 nrt compare to the paradigm signature S1 or S2??

I am looking for paradigm signature sound quality at paradigm studio prices (or better) if possible and hope the ascend sierra nrt line fits the bill

Its funny,I always held a great amount of respect for the sierra 1s (because of the reviews) but never considered them because I am looking for a full HT setup. The announcement of the tower/centere introduces a whole new ballgame though

I have compared the sierras to the S2's and the paradigms had a better top end and mids. With the Nrt upgrade, I think it would be a very close call. To me the Nrt upgrade was significant.
post #96 of 1519 Old 12-25-2010, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_fuss View Post

Whats the cost of these new towers, and when are the available. I am not seeing them on the web?

Thanks

About $2k in full bamboo gloss black. They will be available soon, my pair will be finished very soon. I am snagging an early pair. Check out the pics of my cabinets a few pages back.
post #97 of 1519 Old 12-25-2010, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Very much agreed Brandon....

We did a comparo between the Sierra's, Studio's .v4, Sig S4 .v1's and RT Song Towers already.... then later the Sierra's with the Sig S2 .v2 Be tweet & 340's. There was no question that the Sigs were in a different league to the attending members of the SE WI GTG's The S4's and the ST's were to me almost identical in sound signature - being a step above the rest...

The Sierra's are excellent speaks, no question IMO and I'm looking forward to the improvements that the Nrt upgrade will offer as the high end was veiled until this change, which was a noted issue for all the members - which owned either the ribbon tweeter or myself with the Be tweeter, both of which are extremely open and airy in comparison... with the better room dispersion going to the Be IMO....

I'm very excited to check out Brandon's new towers - I think they are going to be a marked offering for the price range - the bamboo cabs are the next generation in towers against strident resonance of long panels - and improved drivers will make these outstanding in their price range.... if they were directly compared and faired as well against the ST's - there is no question in my mind that they will be huge in the bang for the buck arena compared to the likes of Paradigm Sigs...

I honestly will not be able to bring my Signature S8's to his house, just way too large - but the S2's Be are easily transportable - and I'll be happy to do a shootout with them if it works out..
post #98 of 1519 Old 12-25-2010, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv View Post

Very much agreed Brandon....

We did a comparo between the Sierra's, Studio's .v4, Sig S4 .v1's and RT Song Towers already.... then later the Sierra's with the Sig S2 .v2 Be tweet & 340's. There was no question that the Sigs were in a different league to the attending members of the SE WI GTG's The S4's and the ST's were to me almost identical in sound signature - being a step above the rest...

The Sierra's are excellent speaks, no question IMO and I'm looking forward to the improvements that the Nrt upgrade will offer as the high end was veiled until this change, which was a noted issue for all the members - which owned either the ribbon tweeter or myself with the Be tweeter, both of which are extremely open and airy in comparison... with the better room dispersion going to the Be IMO....

I'm very excited to check out Brandon's new towers - I think they are going to be a marked offering for the price range - the bamboo cabs are the next generation in towers against strident resonance of long panels - and improved drivers will make these outstanding in their price range.... if they were directly compared and faired as well against the ST's - there is no question in my mind that they will be huge in the bang for the buck arena compared to the likes of Paradigm Sigs...

I honestly will not be able to bring my Signature S8's to his house, just way too large - but the S2's Be are easily transportable - and I'll be happy to do a shootout with them if it works out..

Hey Patrick,
We definitely have compared our share of different makes and models. I look forward to comparing the ascend towers against the sigs as well as the ST RT's if nuance will transport them again. Maybe I can bring my towers to your place Patrick so we can compare tower to tower! It will be quite the shootout!
post #99 of 1519 Old 12-25-2010, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post

Hey Patrick,
We definitely have compared our share of different makes and models. I look forward to comparing the ascend towers against the sigs as well as the ST RT's if nuance will transport them again. Maybe I can bring my towers to your place Patrick so we can compare tower to tower! It will be quite the shootout!

+1 buddy......

Its really getting hard to make descisions these days on speakers - I think with the state of the forums and the discussion / comparisons - the smaller/ID speaker co's are really ramping things up to narrow the gaps on higher end products avail... I almost feel like I stepped into all this a few years to early....

You seriously gotta get over here and let the XLERATORS warp your mind !!
post #100 of 1519 Old 12-25-2010, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsnoob10 View Post

Thanks "Grandarf".

Someone who already auditioned new towers and Paradigm Studio 60s can compare them? I know Studio 60s are 2 1/2-way vs new Sierra towers, a true 3-way design.

Only a few people have heard the Sierra tower prototypes but the Sierra 1s get compared to Paradigm's Signature line's S2s not the Studio line. 340SEs would be a comparable speaker to the Studio 60s.

Here is what a professional reviewer who owns Paradigm Sig 2s says...

"... From the very beginning, I could tell that the Sierra-1 had outstanding clarity, and was conveying much more low-level detail than any other under-$1000 two-way I’d ever heard -- qualities that became even more apparent when I sat down to do some critical listening. In fact, the Sierra-1’s ability to let me hear into recordings was right up there with Paradigm’s Signature S2 and PSB’s Platinum M2, two of the best two-way monitors on the market, and each of which sells for about two grand per pair. (I own a pair of Signature S2s.)..." http://www.soundstageav.com/onhifi/20070901.htm
post #101 of 1519 Old 12-26-2010, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Its really getting hard to make descisions these days on speakers - I think with the state of the forums and the discussion / comparisons - the smaller/ID speaker co's are really ramping things up to narrow the gaps on higher end products avail... I almost feel like I stepped into all this a few years to early....
Aren't the B&M also improving their products though? I'm starting to get out of the loop as I don't quite follow the development of the latest models, but visually at least it looks like many are improving. Inside is often a different matter though, and we all know that for those marketing folks too often making the design decisions, outside matters more than inside... I just wish all reviews would be like this one. You know, no bu115h!t, straight up evaluating the product and it's performance, checking out the build, components quality, measuring the product and even its individual components, and of course some listening, but man... Can you imagine if all reviews were like that? It would be EASY to make an informed decision! No... Instead what you have is blabbering about the ability pulling you in, liquid highs and voluptuous and silky breasts... Ooops, I mean, mids...
Quote:
You seriously gotta get over here and let the XLERATORS warp your mind !!
The Xlerawhat??? Do you mean the name of the to be towers? It's the Descends... The Ascend Descend... Well that's my vote at least... Oh but you mean the hand dryer? what... the... hell... we have those in Canada! Did you know? You nail four of these together on a wooden board, and you've got a flying chair!
post #102 of 1519 Old 12-26-2010, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I just wish all reviews would be like this one.No... Instead what you have is blabbering about the ability pulling you in, liquid highs and voluptuous and silky breasts... Ooops, I mean, mids...

The Xlerawhat???
I agree with you 100% about these reviews.... the last one linked by Tarpon was just not realistic.... I was going to post a reply to tarpons link to that review but I didn't want anyone thinking I was bashing Ascend speakers....

Have you looked at my signature.... I was talking about my DIY Subs, hard to miss.... The XLERATORS....

l
l
l
VV
post #103 of 1519 Old 12-26-2010, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Woa! Very nice! *THUMBS UP*!!! Yeah I had missed it...
post #104 of 1519 Old 12-26-2010, 09:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
the last one linked by Tarpon was just not realistic....
Not realistic? I what terms?

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #105 of 1519 Old 12-26-2010, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
I have compared the sierras to the S2's and the paradigms had a better top end and mids. With the Nrt upgrade, I think it would be a very close call. To me the Nrt upgrade was significant.
Well, if that is truly the case I think I will go with a sierra 9.1 config for my living room along with a 5.1 golden ear setup for my bedroom
post #106 of 1519 Old 12-26-2010, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

I read that thread about a week ago. Move two of those subs into my room and plaster starts cracking and falling. Must be kind of frustrating for you when it comes to explosions, but I'm sure your system is incredible.

Since your comments have always been quite judicious I look forward to hearing your impressions of the the tower. Have you heard the Nrt yet? Impressions?

Quote:
I agree with you 100% about these reviews.... the last one linked by Tarpon was just not realistic.... I was going to post a reply to tarpons link to that review but I didn't want anyone thinking I was bashing Ascend speakers....

Have you looked at my signature.... I was talking about my DIY Subs, hard to miss.... The XLERATORS....

l
l
l
VV

AVS: Where everything you write will be used against you.
post #107 of 1519 Old 12-26-2010, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

Hey Curtis - Happy Holidays buddy....

I think I was a bit vague, so let me clarify....
Honestly I look at it from the direction, Its one mans opinion (myself) up against another mans "opinion" who writes and gets paid to do a review.. As much as I can appreciate his talent for writing - such has been said a thousand times over - I really just take all reviews with a grain of salt. PAID.

I like to form my own opinion about comparisons and from what we experienced the Sierra's were certainly on par with the Studio's with a bit less revealing high end but otherwise amazing - I can't honestly say "again my opinion" that they held their own against the Sigs and its those comparisons in reviews that get me to roll my eyes... insert the usual "as good as a speaker costing 10x as much" blathering....

You know me and I truly mean no disrepect to Ascends products.... and I think they are an awesome value for a beautiful product - the Sierra's are extremely well designed and well finished, but if they were the top of the heap, then what would be the need for them to offer the Nrt upgrade or make the next step. Its obviously the progression and passion of the designer/company to make them even better - excellent. As all companies go through these steps to offer more value to their already great product.

Again I'll take the words of many genuine shootouts from well established members over a paid review, whether they are paid by the company that provides the review in terms of advertising or just paid by the magazine/rag that publishes the articles... still paid... When I was more of a newbie - I got sucked into those same articles... sadly enough to say....
post #108 of 1519 Old 12-26-2010, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mziegler View Post

I read that thread about a week ago. Move two of those subs into my room and plaster starts cracking and falling. Must be kind of frustrating for you when it comes to explosions, but I'm sure your system is incredible.

Since your comments have always been quite judicious I look forward to hearing your impressions of the the tower. Have you heard the Nrt yet? Impressions?

LOL - My room is so huge and open, that I don't have any of those compression waves destroying anything, though they are truly astounding and visceral.

Waiting to see how the plans pan out for us to gtg so I can hear the Nrt upgrade - looking forward to it - I know I can trust MerryMaid, his opinion is of value to me, he says they are a noteble upgrade - I can believe that. We never pulled any punches in our feelings with the speakers we gathered - just honesty..... If you want some real honesty - ask Nuance, Terry, MerryMaid and I what we thought about the Emotiva speakers.....
post #109 of 1519 Old 12-26-2010, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Curtis,

I have to agree with Patrick in regard to specifically comparing the sierras to the Sig 2's (not the studios). The Sigs had that extra top end detail and smoothness without any harsh sounds or sibilance. The Be tweeter was definitely a noticeable step up in all ways, the mids were a little better as well, and the bass was pretty close. As for the sierras and studio line, IMHO, the studios were a bit harsh to me on some material, although a bit more detail crept through while listening at times. The sierras were smoother(more neutral) all around with a better midrange again in my opinion. I also think the bass was better with the sierras too. Its almost like the sierras fit right in between the two Paradigm lines (of course not factoring in the Nrt upgrade which is TBD).
post #110 of 1519 Old 12-26-2010, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

LOL -

Waiting to see how the plans pan out for us to gtg so I can hear the Nrt upgrade - looking forward to it - I know I can trust MerryMaid, his opinion is of value to me, he says they are a noteble upgrade - I can believe that. We never pulled any punches in our feelings with the speakers we gathered - just honesty..... If you want some real honesty - ask Nuance, Terry, MerryMaid and I what we thought about the Emotiva speakers.....

I know a GTG is imminent with my soon to arrive ascend Towers, but doing a comparison with the Nrt sierras will be a bit awkward considering I only have my sierra center upgraded (no pair). Its possible by A/Bing one with one paradigm speaker, but imaging & sound stage comparisons will be useless. I just thought I would clear this up for folks hoping for Warp and I to compare the Nrt sierras with the paradigms.
post #111 of 1519 Old 12-26-2010, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Curtis,

I have to agree with Patrick in regard to specifically comparing the sierras to the Sig 2's (not the studios). The Sigs had that extra top end detail and smoothness without any harsh sounds or sibilance. The Be tweeter was definitely a noticeable step up in all ways, the mids were a little better as well, and the bass was pretty close. As for the sierras and studio line, IMHO, the studios were a bit harsh to me on some material, although a bit more detail crept through while listening at times. The sierras were smoother(more neutral) all around with a better midrange again in my opinion. I also think the bass was better with the sierras too. Its almost like the sierras fit right in between the two Paradigm lines (of course not factoring in the Nrt upgrade which is TBD).

Very well put Brandon - I second those points equally, although I will submit your ears are likely a bit better then mine with my age and work environment, I didn't/couldn't detect the harshness of the studios as well as you probably could or did. I will acknowledge they do have their flaws, which is why I made the move upward to the Sigs.

No sense in shootout until your mains are upgraded. Any estimated arrival date ?

I no longer have the studios, and I personally think it's a pointless comparo seeing as the goal is IMO to get as close to the S2's (for me) which will give us more of a statement of what Dave has come up with for the direction of the lineup. Should be cool.

The S2's are IMO truly some of the best bookshelves I have come across, and it really seems almost a waste they reside in my HT as surround duty .
post #112 of 1519 Old 12-26-2010, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Very well put Brandon - I second those points equally, although I will submit your ears are likely a bit better then mine with my age and work environment, I didn't/couldn't detect the harshness of the studios as well as you probably could or did. I will acknowledge they do have their flaws, which is why I made the move upward to the Sigs.

No sense in shootout until your mains are upgraded. Any estimated arrival date ?

I no longer have the studios, and I personally think it's a pointless comparo seeing as the goal is IMO to get as close to the S2's (for me) which will give us more of a statement of what Dave has come up with for the direction of the lineup. Should be cool.

The S2's are IMO truly some of the best bookshelves I have come across, and it really seems almost a waste they reside in my HT as surround duty .

Thanks! We are both on the same page. I have no intention of upgrading my only pair of sierras (surrounds) to the Nrt since my new mains will be the towers. Just the sierra center has the Nrt upgrade now to match the towers (same tweeter).

Dave is inspecting the cabinets next week before finishing, once they are painted, its easy going from there. I would guess 2 weeks give or take? I agree, we need to compare the sigs with the sierras, especially the towers if possible for both of us. It shall give us all something to do this winter
post #113 of 1519 Old 12-26-2010, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Painted? So you are going for Piano black? Why not stained? So I guess they're in US now? Is Ascend going a bit custom for your pair? Lucky you!
post #114 of 1519 Old 12-26-2010, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It shall give us all something to do this winter

I guess that all depends on what you mean by "us all"

Seems that some of the SE WI boys have their hands full with children and heavy works loads...... I remember the days of not having time for much of anything when my boy was younger.... Get your fun in now my good man before your lovely little wife and you finally fill a stroller....
post #115 of 1519 Old 12-26-2010, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Painted? So you are going for Piano black? Why not stained? So I guess they're in US now? Is Ascend going a bit custom for your pair? Lucky you!

Yes, A high gloss black very very similar to the PB finish. My remaining sierra center and surrounds are PB hence the matching finish Nothing custom, just the first run of cabinets coming my way

Thanks!

Edit: ascend is having a local Cali vendor do the cabinets.
post #116 of 1519 Old 12-26-2010, 01:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks Patrick and Brandon....I was just wondering what "not realistic" meant.

BTW...the reviewer also posted an answer to a question about the Sierra's vs the Sigs (ver. 1) in letters to the editor page.

http://www.soundstageav.com/audiovideoanswers.html

Quote:

November 12, 2007

I read your review of the Ascend Sierra-1 speakers in the October edition of SoundStage! A/V with great interest. I had auditioned the Paradigm Signature S2 speaker that you currently own and referred to in your article. I was very impressed with its performance; it was clearly my favorite from among the speakers I considered. The $2000 price tag was a bit beyond the reaches of my budget, but because of its outstanding performance, I was thinking it might be worth the stretch.

It sounds from your review like these Ascends are also quite impressive at a substantially lower price. Q: What, if anything, do you sacrifice with the Sierra vs. the performance of the Paradigm? If it's not all that much, it may be nice to make the stretch toward the less-expensive alternative. Any information would be appreciated.

I really appreciate the quality and clarity of your writing -- free of jargon and techno-speak. It's a pleasure to read.

James Winarski

A: I’m glad you enjoy the reviews. First, though, I must say that my remarks are confined to the original Paradigm Signature S2, not the new v.2 model, which I don’t have experience with -- at least yet.

In terms of value, the Sierra-1 comes out ahead. It does a lot of things that the S2 does, but at a fraction of the price. For example, they’re both very refined-sounding speakers and quite neutral from head to toe. Bass extension is comparable, although I’d say that the S2 comes out a little ahead in that regard. Resolution through the Sierra-1 is extraordinary, and easily the equal of the S2. Therefore, if you want most of what something like the S2 gives you, the Sierra-1 accomplished all that at less than half the price.

Still, it’s not the S2. The S2 looks nicer and seems built to a higher standard. As I mentioned, the S2 also seems to go a little deeper in the bass, but what I didn’t mention yet is that the S2 can also play considerably louder -- you can really hammer at them with quite a bit of power and they stay clean.

So, in a nutshell, if cost is a strong consideration, definitely look at the Sierra-1. It gets you most of the way there, which seems to be Ascend’s mandate when creating new speakers. If cost is no consideration -- and it isn’t for some – the Signature S2 is still a very good choice.

...Doug Schneider

-curtis

Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #117 of 1519 Old 12-26-2010, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Dave is inspecting the cabinets next week before finishing, once they are painted, its easy going from there. I would guess 2 weeks give or take?

That's Tower #1 and #2. Any idea when they will be shipping to the public?
post #118 of 1519 Old 12-26-2010, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ride525 View Post

That's Tower #1 and #2. Any idea when they will be shipping to the public?

I believe Dave f posted that he has a large shipment of drivers for the towers on order. The first pair of cabinets is the test run for production. I imagine once he inspects these and they pass all QC checks, full scale production will follow. Hopefully Dave can chime in if I'm incorrect.
post #119 of 1519 Old 12-26-2010, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Patrick and Brandon....I was just wondering what "not realistic" meant.

BTW...the reviewer also posted an answer to a question about the Sierra's vs the Sigs (ver. 1) in letters to the editor page.

http://www.soundstageav.com/audiovideoanswers.html

Good catch on the Q&A there Curtis....

Earlier in our shootouts, we did compare my Sig S4's .v1's to the Sierra's with the ST's in the mix, and the Sierra's were still very impressive against the much higher priced competition. No question for even less then 1/2 the price they are gems....

Good point he made about the power handling and loudness comparo, which is always of top importance to me, not everyone, as we pushed the limits pretty hard with my 500w Ice power amp, and both the ST's and Sierra's gave up the farm much earlier then the Paradigms.... The Sig drivers are really heavy duty beefy monsters, but we must also point out that they are 7" compared to 5.25", so not really in the same ball park.... What wasn't mentioned in that Q&A was the high end extension and clarity, but I think we have pointed that out Ad nauseam by this point....
post #120 of 1519 Old 12-26-2010, 04:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Good point he made about the power handling and loudness comparo, which is always of top importance to me, not everyone, as we pushed the limits pretty hard with my 500w Ice power amp, and both the ST's and Sierra's gave up the farm much earlier then the Paradigms....

I really like my IcePower, although I have been thinking of simplifying my amp setup lately.

When comparing the new tower to ST's, we found the tower to play louder before "giving up", this was with a ADA 6150 amp.

-curtis

Help beat breast cancer!

Reply Speakers

Tags
Speaker Systems

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page