**Official Ascend Acoustics Tower Thread** - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #121 of 1517 Old 12-28-2010, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
KLee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 1,711
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quick question...........does acend ever display their models at CES?
I think CES is a great opportunity to see a great variety of audio products you wouldn't normally get to see
KLee is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #122 of 1517 Old 12-30-2010, 04:56 PM
Member
 
oil99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm considering upgrading my budget for speakers and now have become overwhelmed with options...

Assuming the new set of towers is ~$2k.

And while they may not offer the same speaker as an option for a center a larger center is in the works though right? So lets assume $750 vs. using a ~$450 Sierra-1.

Based on initial rumours of the towers and the Sierra-1's great performance is this comparable to what ~$3K would get you with JTR for example? (assuming 3 triple 8HT's)

The Ascend stuff seems like it will be a great fit for me when released but bang for the buck has me looking at all options.

Any thoughts?

and excuse my totally random assumed costs for the new line but i'm just using what I've seen and factoring into existing line-up cost...for all I know the new towers and center could come out at $2K total making this a mute point
oil99 is offline  
post #123 of 1517 Old 12-30-2010, 08:07 PM
Advanced Member
 
Tarpon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 508
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLee View Post

Quick question...........does acend ever display their models at CES?
I think CES is a great opportunity to see a great variety of audio products you wouldn't normally get to see

No. Occasionally electronic companies use Ascend speakers at CES to showcase their products. I believe Virtue Audio was the latest to do so.
Tarpon is offline  
post #124 of 1517 Old 01-03-2011, 11:55 PM
Advanced Member
 
Ascend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: San Clemente, CA
Posts: 589
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLee View Post

Quick question...........does acend ever display their models at CES?
I think CES is a great opportunity to see a great variety of audio products you wouldn't normally get to see

Hi KLee,

CES is typically a venue for manufacturers to show off their goods to potential retailers. Since we sell our products direct to consumers (no retailers / resellers), the expense involved in directly displaying our products is hard to justify. That being said, we do attend CES but more so to meet with many of our vendors.

David Fabrikant

audio professional and soft spoken representative of www.AscendAcoustics.com

Ascend is offline  
post #125 of 1517 Old 01-27-2011, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
merrymaid520's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Milwaukee WI
Posts: 1,445
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
New pic up of a Piano Black tower
LL
merrymaid520 is offline  
post #126 of 1517 Old 01-27-2011, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Ron Alcasid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 1,006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post

New pic up of a Piano Black tower

It's missing a few things
Ron Alcasid is offline  
post #127 of 1517 Old 01-27-2011, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
merrymaid520's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Milwaukee WI
Posts: 1,445
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Alcasid View Post

It's missing a few things

I can only afford so much.....its the discounted version
merrymaid520 is offline  
post #128 of 1517 Old 01-27-2011, 01:45 PM
krs
Senior Member
 
krs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: PNW
Posts: 372
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post

I can only afford so much.....its the discounted version

Gettin' closer all the time!

Will your early models be considered to be prototypes subject to refinement, or will they be the final version which all others will replicate?

That's a somewhat large wire passage hole to feed the uppermost driver. Is there to be a grommet or other means that would prevent any possible vibration of conductor against enclosure?

Does assembly use Elmer's Glue? ......
krs is offline  
post #129 of 1517 Old 02-02-2011, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member
 
Ascend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: San Clemente, CA
Posts: 589
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by krs View Post

Gettin' closer all the time!

Will your early models be considered to be prototypes subject to refinement, or will they be the final version which all others will replicate?

We will only be shipping final versions, but running changes in the loudspeaker industry are quite common.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krs View Post

That's a somewhat large wire passage hole to feed the uppermost driver. Is there to be a grommet or other means that would prevent any possible vibration of conductor against enclosure?

The midrange driver is housed in its own enclosure. The hole you see is necessary in order to feed the wires from the crossover to the driver itself. The hole then gets sealed air-tight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krs View Post

Does assembly use Elmer's Glue? ......

The glue is actually Titebond carpenter's glue

David Fabrikant

audio professional and soft spoken representative of www.AscendAcoustics.com

Ascend is offline  
post #130 of 1517 Old 03-15-2011, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
merrymaid520's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Milwaukee WI
Posts: 1,445
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
quick update,

My towers shipped. As you can probably tell, I'm not excited or anxious at all.


merrymaid520 is offline  
post #131 of 1517 Old 03-15-2011, 06:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bill Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 11,382
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post

quick update,

My towers shipped. As you can probably tell, I'm not excited or anxious at all.



Brandon,

No not at all. I'm sure you wouldn't think of checking the tracking number in the upcoming days. I look forward to your thoughts on the Towers when you have them all setup. Has there been a specific name for the Towers?

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

 

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Bill Mac is offline  
post #132 of 1517 Old 03-15-2011, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
merrymaid520's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Milwaukee WI
Posts: 1,445
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Brandon,

No not at all. I'm sure you wouldn't think of checking the tracking number in the upcoming days. I look forward to your thoughts on the Towers when you have them all setup. Has there been a specific name for the Towers?

Bill

Hey Bill,
I checked the tracking already, I believe Friday is the arrival date The last time I asked dave about a name, he basically said he was too busy finalizing the design and getting my pair ready, the name can come later. Priorities, right! The plan is to leave work a bit early Friday and get them setup, my wife will be gone saturday, so I will have the perfect listening session to myself!
merrymaid520 is offline  
post #133 of 1517 Old 03-15-2011, 10:51 AM
Senior Member
 
Down's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 491
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm anxious to hear some more real world reviews of these. I just moved and my listening area has quadrupled (at least) in area. I'm all about midbass so I was begrudgingly starting to look into some floorstanders to replace my 170/340 setup, all the while wishing Ascend made some larger speakers. Imagine my joy when I stumbled upon this thread!
Down is offline  
post #134 of 1517 Old 03-15-2011, 11:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cschang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA
Posts: 14,729
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down View Post

I'm anxious to hear some more real world reviews of these. I just moved and my listening area has quadrupled (at least) in area. I'm all about midbass so I was begrudgingly starting to look into some floorstanders to replace my 170/340 setup, all the while wishing Ascend made some larger speakers. Imagine my joy when I stumbled upon this thread!

Down..the Tower is great...the midrange is the best from Ascend yet. Imaging is pretty incredible.

That said, those 340's have pretty good output. What sub do you have?

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

cschang is offline  
post #135 of 1517 Old 03-15-2011, 11:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cschang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA
Posts: 14,729
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post

Hey Bill,
I checked the tracking already, I believe Friday is the arrival date The last time I asked dave about a name, he basically said he was too busy finalizing the design and getting my pair ready, the name can come later. Priorities, right! The plan is to leave work a bit early Friday and get them setup, my wife will be gone saturday, so I will have the perfect listening session to myself!

Looking forward to some realtime feedback!

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

cschang is offline  
post #136 of 1517 Old 03-15-2011, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
merrymaid520's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Milwaukee WI
Posts: 1,445
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

Looking forward to some realtime feedback!

Once they arrive, you got it!
merrymaid520 is offline  
post #137 of 1517 Old 03-15-2011, 01:48 PM
Senior Member
 
Down's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 491
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

Down..the Tower is great...the midrange is the best from Ascend yet. Imaging is pretty incredible.

That said, those 340's have pretty good output. What sub do you have?

Well, I only have a 340 center, my mains are 170s and surrounds are 200s. Sadly, those 200s will probably be going away as I think I'm going to have to go in wall/cieling for surrounds with this new layout. I've wondered about just getting a pair of 340s to complete the front stage though, certainly would be much cheaper.

As for sub, I currently have an MFW-15. It's been in storage for 9 months or so though, who knows if it's still working. Hoping it'll hold out for a few months though and then I'm planning on dual Epik Empires. I figure the lows will be well taken care of but wondering if they'd be "enough" of a sub that unless I really underutilize them, there would be a bit of a mismatch.
Down is offline  
post #138 of 1517 Old 03-18-2011, 08:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cschang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA
Posts: 14,729
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Dave has started a thread about the towers, with pictures and more information.

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?p=36742

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

cschang is offline  
post #139 of 1517 Old 03-19-2011, 06:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bill Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 11,382
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post

Once they arrive, you got it!

Well??????????? Come on we are all waiting for your thoughts. You must be in sonic heaven so much so that you can not make your way to the nearset computer.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

 

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Bill Mac is offline  
post #140 of 1517 Old 03-19-2011, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
merrymaid520's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Milwaukee WI
Posts: 1,445
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Well??????????? Come on we are all waiting for your thoughts. You must be in sonic heaven so much so that you can not make your way to the nearset computer.

Bill

Hello Bill,
They arrived yesterday afternoon. I had a good solid hour or so of listening, lots more to come today. The Piano finish is superb! I want to save my detailed thoughts for an extensive review but so far, very impressed. As I mentioned over in the Tower thread in the Ascend forum, the imaging, timbre accuracy with instruments, and male vocals really stood out.

As a fellow 2100 preamp owner, originally I had them running crossed over at 80Hz with my only other option being full range as you know. The boys over at Ascend including Dave highly recommend full range for music and 60Hz for movies which I can do through my Yamaha receiver. This morning I have made the changes accordingly and will take some Low end measurements with REW and my RS SPL meter to verify they are blending well with my Rythmik. Dave even said he prefers the Towers full range without a sub at all even the Rythmik.

The wifes sleeping still, so here I sit anxiously awaiting to feed them more watts!
merrymaid520 is offline  
post #141 of 1517 Old 03-19-2011, 12:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bill Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 11,382
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post

Hello Bill,
They arrived yesterday afternoon. I had a good solid hour or so of listening, lots more to come today. The Piano finish is superb! I want to save my detailed thoughts for an extensive review but so far, very impressed. As I mentioned over in the Tower thread in the Ascend forum, the imaging, timbre accuracy with instruments, and male vocals really stood out.

As a fellow 2100 preamp owner, originally I had them running crossed over at 80Hz with my only other option being full range as you know. The boys over at Ascend including Dave highly recommend full range for music and 60Hz for movies which I can do through my Yamaha receiver. This morning I have made the changes accordingly and will take some Low end measurements with REW and my RS SPL meter to verify they are blending well with my Rythmik. Dave even said he prefers the Towers full range without a sub at all even the Rythmik.

The wifes sleeping still, so here I sit anxiously awaiting to feed them more watts!

Hey Brandon,

I'm glad the Towers arrived safely. The pictures of the Towers (yours) that Dave has up over at the Ascend forum look very nice. I look forward to your impressions when you have more listening time with them setup to get the best SQ.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

 

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Bill Mac is offline  
post #142 of 1517 Old 03-19-2011, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
holt7153's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: City of Angels
Posts: 3,195
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Hey Brandon,

I'm glad the Towers arrived safely. The pictures of the Towers (yours) that Dave has up over at the Ascend forum look very nice. I look forward to your impressions when you have more listening time with them setup to get the best SQ.

Bill

I must be blind--these pics are somewhere here?

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/

With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
holt7153 is offline  
post #143 of 1517 Old 03-19-2011, 01:20 PM
Member
 
RicHSAD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: QC, Canada
Posts: 149
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
RicHSAD is offline  
post #144 of 1517 Old 03-19-2011, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
holt7153's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: City of Angels
Posts: 3,195
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Thanks. Good Lord those are slick looking.

With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
holt7153 is offline  
post #145 of 1517 Old 03-19-2011, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
merrymaid520's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Milwaukee WI
Posts: 1,445
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20








Some photos for you folks. More on the ascend forum.
merrymaid520 is offline  
post #146 of 1517 Old 03-22-2011, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member
 
yelnatsch517's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 980
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Those look absolutely amazing. I really need to make a trip down south to listen to them in person. I think someone asked how they compare to the RC-70s and my guess is that they are in a completely different league. But on a similar note, how would they compare to the original Energy Veritas line like the 1.8 or 2.8, supposedly the best speakers Energy ever produced?
yelnatsch517 is offline  
post #147 of 1517 Old 03-22-2011, 10:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cschang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA
Posts: 14,729
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by yelnatsch517 View Post

Those look absolutely amazing. I really need to make a trip down south to listen to them in person. I think someone asked how they compare to the RC-70s and my guess is that they are in a completely different league. But on a similar note, how would they compare to the original Energy Veritas line like the 1.8 or 2.8, supposedly the best speakers Energy ever produced?

When the Veritas 2.2 was still in production, I had a chance to do a direct A/B comparison with it and the older "classic" version of the Ascend CMT-340. If anything, it was in the "same league". Of course, then there was the 2.2i, which I have not heard, and the newer SE versions of the Ascends.

yelnatsch, if you are in the LA area, you are welcome to come hear my Sierra-1's (not NrT upgraded yet).

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

cschang is offline  
post #148 of 1517 Old 03-22-2011, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member
 
yelnatsch517's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 980
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

When the Veritas 2.2 was still in production, I had a chance to do a direct A/B comparison with it and the older "classic" version of the Ascend CMT-340. If anything, it was in the "same league". Of course, then there was the 2.2i, which I have not heard, and the newer SE versions of the Ascends.

yelnatsch, if you are in the LA area, you are welcome to come hear my Sierra-1's (not NrT upgraded yet).

I'll take you up on that offer, but it'll have to be when I get some free time. My friend lives in Long Beach so I'll probably bring him along too, if that's okay with you. He got a pair of 2.2i for something like a little over $300 a few months back in pristine condition. It's really nice, but then again he's in an apartment and his old school receiver pumps out way more juice than my Denon 3311 but weighs twice as much also.

Maybe I'll have him bring his speakers over if that's okay.

Can you PM me a time when you're free for us to stop by?
yelnatsch517 is offline  
post #149 of 1517 Old 03-22-2011, 02:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cschang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA
Posts: 14,729
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by yelnatsch517 View Post

I'll take you up on that offer, but it'll have to be when I get some free time. My friend lives in Long Beach so I'll probably bring him along too, if that's okay with you. He got a pair of 2.2i for something like a little over $300 a few months back in pristine condition. It's really nice, but then again he's in an apartment and his old school receiver pumps out way more juice than my Denon 3311 but weighs twice as much also.

Maybe I'll have him bring his speakers over if that's okay.

Can you PM me a time when you're free for us to stop by?

PM sent....bring whatever you want to listen to.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

cschang is offline  
post #150 of 1517 Old 03-23-2011, 01:23 AM
Advanced Member
 
yelnatsch517's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 980
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

PM sent....bring whatever you want to listen to.

Thanks, I'll see if when we have time and let you know.

I just have a couple questions:
What are the crossover points?
I see only 1 set of binding posts so am I right to assume there's only 1?
What's the time table for full production ramp up?
Are there combo discounts like the existing Ascend products?
What's the recommended min. distance from side/back walls to set these towers?
yelnatsch517 is offline  
Reply Speakers

Tags
Speaker Systems

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off