Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #1501 of 1519 Old 05-16-2014, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 172
He received an invite from a member(Jollo...I believe) for a home demo in his desired area...granted, Georgia is pretty large but for those looking for an audition, they're likely willing to drive.

Old Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors, but we borrow it from our children!

Ascend Acoustics (NrT)Towers, STC w RAAL, 200 SE in espresso
54" of Panasonic Bliss, Anthem MRX 300
Sony BDP-S380, TechnicsCD player, Apple TV
PSA XS30 SE in Cordovan Cherry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1502 of 1519 Old 05-16-2014, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by music first View Post

Someone mentioned that Anthem's room correction takes the analog signal from the Oppo and turns it back into digital for ARC. If this is true it would seem to render the analog outs of my 105 useless.

Room correction, just like any other processing, including base management, takes place in the digital domain. The output of OPPO 105's DACs will be redigitized unless your receiver has a separate analog signal path that involves no ADCs.
post #1503 of 1519 Old 05-16-2014, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisakuku View Post

Room correction, just like any other processing, including base management, takes place in the digital domain. The output of OPPO 105's DACs will be redigitized unless your receiver has a separate analog signal path that involves no ADCs.

I don't know where you got the quote from - but if its not mine so please be careful when cutting and pasting. I am a happy owner of 2 Oppos - but I stick with the basics (83 & 103). Thanks.

Panasonic 60VT60 (cal by DNice)
Denon 5200 w/ Outlaw 2200 Amps (3)
Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s F/R & Horizon w/ RAAL Center; Sierra 1s Surrounds; HTM-200s Heights and PSB S5 Rear Surrounds; Dual SVS subs
Oppo 103; Onkyo HD-DVD; Apple TV & Roku Stick
post #1504 of 1519 Old 05-16-2014, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post

I don't know where you got the quote from - but if its not mine so please be careful when cutting and pasting. I am a happy owner of 2 Oppos - but I stick with the basics (83 & 103). Thanks.

There you go.
post #1505 of 1519 Old 05-17-2014, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post

If you want to drive to Birmingham you can hear the Sierra 2s with a Horizon (RAAL) for the center. Right now I don't have room for towers and honestly with a good sub and the redesigned Sierras I don't really think I need to consider a change anytime soon. I moved over here from Atlanta in the late 80's and don't miss the traffic. Plus in 2 hours I can get from my home to my seat at Turner Field smile.gif

P.S. If you can't demo just remember that you have the 30 day trial period with Ascend, but I doubt you'll be returning any of their speakers if you decide to do business with Dave and company.

Thanks smile.gif

I'm going to try and audition the Towers before I'm forced to take you up on that offer but I very much appreciate it smile.gif

Kirk.
post #1506 of 1519 Old 05-17-2014, 01:20 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

If you really want to have the abilities to dial everything in and tweak for the ultimate performance then you could have kept the Marantz and gotten a separate EQ devise, such as the MiniDsp or you could have purchased a Behringer iNuke1000dsp amplifier for your L+R channels and have endless EQ & DSP options, although, this option is not for everyone as you would need to take some measurements and know how to interpret and utilize those measurements.

The Anthem stuff is really nice, and you are correct as their room correction software is the best right now!

Quote:

Very informative! Thank you. I have been going back and forth between these two receivers. Interesting you say the Anthem sounds better. Is the Anthem more difficult to set up? My one source component is the Oppo 105, which will handle the streaming duties. Someone mentioned that Anthem's room correction takes the analog signal from the Oppo and turns it back into digital for ARC. If this is true it would seem to render the analog outs of my 105 useless. Do you miss not having 7.1 analog inputs on your Anthem? Is there any way you can characterize the sound of the Marantz VS the Anthem? Thanks again Kirk.

Earl

Hey Earl,

The sound of the Anthem vs the Marantz...hmm.... I would say that the Marantz sounds a little more floaty-not as focused. With regards to home theater the transitioning of sounds to the different speakers sounds more cohesive and seamless on the Anthem as opposed to the Marantz. The bass on the Anthem sounds a little "tighter".

Now note:

This is my subjective preference. I am biased towards the Anthem and my preferences might thus reflect my biases.

The Anthem will re-digitize the output from the Oppo but it is debatable whether the resulting sound will be significantly degraded. If you did not have the 105 you could probably use the 103 instead. One of the selling points of the Anthem is its room correction software and I seem to remember some people still using their Oppo 105 with the Anthem (i.e. digitizing the output from the Oppo 105-they did not complain about degraded sound as a result).

The Anthem is not difficult to set up at all compared to the Marantz. The GUI is actually more intuitive I think and logically organized.

However, as I said before, both receivers are good I just give the edge to the Anthem for audio performance. If you want to have the 7.1 output from the Oppo utilized then the Marantz might be preferable. The main reason I preferred the Anthem was because of the edge in audio performance and the configurability/flexibility of the ARC room correction system compared with the Marantz's Audyssey XT32 setup.

@Marty I was referring to the DSP capabilities of the Anthem itself-I actually have the nanoAVR (from minidsp.com) + REW + UMIK-1. I will use the nanoAVR in conjunction with the ARC on configuration 1 OR use only the nanoAVR on configuration 2 if the combination is not optimal.
post #1507 of 1519 Old 05-17-2014, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Regarding the Anthem MRX series...the new x10 units DO offer pass through- copied and pasted from the MRX thread
Post #1745.

"Not correct. Unlike the original MRX units, the new units DO offer Analog passthrough -- unprocessed, Stereo Analog output -- only Volume control. However, as stated, they only have Stereo Analog inputs.

Processed Analog output is also available for these Stereo Analog inputs. This would include ARC of course, and also Surround Sound processing (generating audio for Center and the Surrounds).

Audio Processing can be engaged separately for each Input you define which uses Stereo Analog audio input. If Analog input Audio Processing is engaged, there are separate settings in the Input definition to engage ARC and/or Dolby Volume."
--Bob
Edited by Bob Pariseau - 4/7/14 at 7:28am
post #1508 of 1519 Old 05-17-2014, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshoppers View Post

Regarding the Anthem MRX series...the new x10 units DO offer pass through

The point is that you can either have OPPO 105's DACs or Anthem's ARC, but not both.
post #1509 of 1519 Old 05-17-2014, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Very informative! Thank you. I have been going back and forth between these two receivers. Interesting you say the Anthem sounds better. Is the Anthem more difficult to set up? My one source component is the Oppo 105, which will handle the streaming duties. Someone mentioned that Anthem's room correction takes the analog signal from the Oppo and turns it back into digital for ARC. If this is true it would seem to render the analog outs of my 105 useless. Do you miss not having 7.1 analog inputs on your Anthem? Is there any way you can characterize the sound of the Marantz VS the Anthem? Thanks again Kirk.

Earl

Quote:

Quote:

The point is that you can either have OPPO 105's DACs or Anthem's ARC, but not both.

Why would you want both?
The criticism with the original MRX series Was that ALL analog signals were re-digitized in the AVR.
So, technically speaking are using "both" with the old series.

The new series allows you to do it either way, thought that was made pretty clear. (2channel only)

As a 3 year user of the MRX I can assure you that the properly implemented ARC set-up
Will easily trump any "perceived" differences in the Oppo DAC.
Billy p likes this.
post #1510 of 1519 Old 05-17-2014, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshoppers View Post

Why would you want both?

You or I wouldn't, but many buy 105 for the superior (or "superior") DACs and also want RC. I'm merely pointing out that you can't have both. Your technical point doesn't really make sense, obviously re-digitizing the DAC output defeats the purpose of having a super-duper DAC.
post #1511 of 1519 Old 05-17-2014, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You or I wouldn't, but many buy 105 for the superior (or "superior") DACs and also want RC. I'm merely pointing out that you can't have both. Your technical point doesn't really make sense, obviously re-digitizing the DAC output defeats the purpose of having a super-duper DAC.

I understand where you are coming from -to use room correction on any AVR the signal must
Be re-digitized and I agree that doing so negates the "superior DAC". wink.gif

Most of the folks that have an issue with the original MRX handling of analog
Signals to be the "2 channel purist" categories. Maybe some of the
5.1 channel SACD group too.

Sorry for the derailment.
Kisakuku likes this.
post #1512 of 1519 Old 05-18-2014, 08:48 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirky27 View Post

Hey Earl,

The sound of the Anthem vs the Marantz...hmm.... I would say that the Marantz sounds a little more floaty-not as focused. With regards to home theater the transitioning of sounds to the different speakers sounds more cohesive and seamless on the Anthem as opposed to the Marantz. The bass on the Anthem sounds a little "tighter".

Now note:

This is my subjective preference. I am biased towards the Anthem and my preferences might thus reflect my biases.

The Anthem will re-digitize the output from the Oppo but it is debatable whether the resulting sound will be significantly degraded. If you did not have the 105 you could probably use the 103 instead. One of the selling points of the Anthem is its room correction software and I seem to remember some people still using their Oppo 105 with the Anthem (i.e. digitizing the output from the Oppo 105-they did not complain about degraded sound as a result).

The Anthem is not difficult to set up at all compared to the Marantz. The GUI is actually more intuitive I think and logically organized.

However, as I said before, both receivers are good I just give the edge to the Anthem for audio performance. If you want to have the 7.1 output from the Oppo utilized then the Marantz might be preferable. The main reason I preferred the Anthem was because of the edge in audio performance and the configurability/flexibility of the ARC room correction system compared with the Marantz's Audyssey XT32 setup.

@Marty I was referring to the DSP capabilities of the Anthem itself-I actually have the nanoAVR (from minidsp.com) + REW + UMIK-1. I will use the nanoAVR in conjunction with the ARC on configuration 1 OR use only the nanoAVR on configuration 2 if the combination is not optimal.

Good stuff Kirk,

Floaty, ok,- I have not heard the Anthem yet but I have heard the Marantz, and that sounds like a perfect description to me. I am using an older Yamaha receiver (RXV-2500) as my amp. I mainly listen to 2 channel music, but I do have 5 speakers for HT and don't want to give that up. So I am looking for an AVR with the best possible sound for 2-channel music. The Yamaha has served me well for the past 8 years. No problems, good clean power, although sometimes the mid-bass can sound a tad thin (Maybe it's perceived) But hopefully the Anthem will be a step up in stereo sound. I am going back to the dealer I bought the Yamaha from and see if he will let me audition the 710. If the DACs in the Anthem are good, I may not miss the 7.1 analog outs on my Oppo 105.
post #1513 of 1519 Old 06-29-2014, 10:20 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
If anyone from SF bay area is on the fence about Sierra towers+horizon center, there's a good deal on Craigslist.
post #1514 of 1519 Old 06-30-2014, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam1000 View Post
If anyone from SF bay area is on the fence about Sierra towers+horizon center, there's a good deal on Craigslist.
Good price, but definitely not an easy listing to find. You might want to include "sierra" and "horizon" in the key words. Any reason for selling?
post #1515 of 1519 Old 06-30-2014, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisakuku View Post
Good price, but definitely not an easy listing to find. You might want to include "sierra" and "horizon" in the key words. Any reason for selling?
Thanks for the suggestion.
I'm selling them because I want to upgrade to Pioneer EX lines of speakers(Now discontinued in USA). MSRP for those are 9K+, but I'm getting them at a discount. This is a hobby of diminishing returns. Ascend and Dave provides a sweet spot for price/performance with all their lineup. For that last 15% , I have to pay significantly more. Plus the speaker weight and size is almost twice as large than Ascent Towers. I use to think Horizon was big, but when I saw the Pioneer Center, my jaw dropped.
I had wished that my wife would allow me to move the Ascends to the bedroom :-(. But I'm satisfied that she allows me to upgrade from time to time :-)
Kisakuku likes this.

Speakers: Pioneer/TAD S-1EX, S-7EX, Ascend with RAAL upgrade
Pre/Pro: Onkyo PR-SC5508,Bel Canto Pre-6, Sherwood 972
Amp: Outlaw 770
Source:Oppo 105, Ciunas DAC, SB Touch

Last edited by Sam1000; 07-02-2014 at 03:10 PM.
post #1516 of 1519 Old 07-07-2014, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I just recieved my sierra 2's lcr. Will get lv12r Friday. I went from the swan diva 6.1, and c3 center. My first immediate impression is that my swans are tall speakers, and the tweeters are way above ear level when I'm kicked back in my recliner. Being able to bring the sierra's down to ear level made a huge difference.

It took about 10 minutes to adjust to the disorentation of moving from the towers to these monitors. My first impression was that the diva's were bigger sounding, and filled the room better. After about 10 minutes it was like... this is a really different sound, but f***** A these sound good. They filled the room just as much as the diva's but I've just entered a new universe. So far I'm only listening to mp3's on itunes radio on apple tv. Andrea Bocelli on the diva's was somewhat muffled and his voice was really hyped. On the sierra's it is like a veil was lifted, and his voice sounds natural, dead center, and like he's in the room rather than big round, and overly hyped, almost boomy in comparison. Diane Krall... wow, her voice is like sunshine filled honey. Listening to BT the instruments are so precise, and have a pinpoint precision in the stereo field. I've never heard Hey 19 by steely dan sound like that. Every instrument is so well defined, big, and life like, and the harmoney's are pure butter. Right now I'm only using a down firing yamaha sub until the rhythmik arives friday, and I'm sure that's going to bring this to another level as well. The diva's I"ve always thought sounded really good, but the highs were shrill, the mids overly hyped, and the bass boomy. I shied away from rock on the diva's because they just didn't sound good in my room, and country was right behind them, but not with these. The veil has been lifted... the bass is tight, mids are natural, and the treble is so much easier on these old ears. I could, and probably will sit here and listen to music for the rest of the day.
Billy p and JustaSheep like this.
post #1517 of 1519 Old 07-07-2014, 07:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 77
cranster...you have discovered what great imaging is all about.

-curtis

Owner of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Volunteer Mod at the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.

post #1518 of 1519 Old 08-15-2014, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam1000 View Post
Thanks for the suggestion.
I'm selling them because I want to upgrade to Pioneer EX lines of speakers(Now discontinued in USA). MSRP for those are 9K+, but I'm getting them at a discount.
I got quoted 20K for a 5.1 and I was seriously considering getting it. I'm very tempted to complete a 5.1 set with 2 pairs RAAL Sierras and a Horizon (already have 1 pair Sierras). If you still have those for sale, PM me.
post #1519 of 1519 Old 08-19-2014, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veda View Post
I got quoted 20K for a 5.1 and I was seriously considering getting it. I'm very tempted to complete a 5.1 set with 2 pairs RAAL Sierras and a Horizon (already have 1 pair Sierras). If you still have those for sale, PM me.
PM sent..

Speakers: Pioneer/TAD S-1EX, S-7EX, Ascend with RAAL upgrade
Pre/Pro: Onkyo PR-SC5508,Bel Canto Pre-6, Sherwood 972
Amp: Outlaw 770
Source:Oppo 105, Ciunas DAC, SB Touch
Reply Speakers

Tags
Speaker Systems

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page