**Official Ascend Acoustics Tower Thread** - Page 54 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 67Likes
post #1591 of 1615 Old 04-03-2015, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked: 778
Thread cleanup. Buying and selling is not permitted in the forum area. Keep on topic.
beaveav likes this.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Samsung UBD-K8500, Panasonic DMP-UB900 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1592 of 1615 Old 05-29-2015, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked: 543
Hey guys,

Ascend Acoustics is celebrating 15 years.

They have a sale (15% off) on the CBM-170 SE, HTM-200 SE and Sierra-1 piano black.

I'm thinking about snagging the 170. Need something for the bedroom and this looks like a great deal.
65 Electra Glide likes this.

Yippee-ki-yay...
post #1593 of 1615 Old 07-02-2015, 07:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm looking to upgrade my Ascend speakers too. I'm interested in getting the Towers but also like the other Ascend speaker lines. I'll just have to keep an eye out for something used that may go up for sale or just bit the bullet and buy Towers or something close to them.
post #1594 of 1615 Old 08-07-2015, 03:27 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Just wanted to post and give a thumbs up to team Ascend. I currently have the Horizon (Raal) at home and really wanted to hear the towers as I'm also auditioning the Aperion Verus Grand LCR.

I called and left a message Tuesday morning not realizing that Ascend would be closing the next day for their annual company holiday. Dina called me back (she was actually out of the office on errands!) and I explained my situation... running out of audition time and I really wanted to compare the 2 brands in home.

Dina was determined to work a miracle. She called the office, got the guys to find 2 towers to match my Espresso Horizon so I could decide between the Raal or Nrt tweeter (she had already set aside matching towers for the Raal the week before) and then called me back after she had looked the cabinets over herself.

I chose the NrT as my wife and I seem to enjoy a soft dome tweet and this system is 95% HT. The team got to work assembling and testing my towers and had them on the UPS truck that afternoon!

Talk about going the extra mile...

I felt I needed to take the time to thank everyone at Ascend and wish them a great vacation.
post #1595 of 1615 Old 08-07-2015, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 27
we also have the horizon with the raal tweeter and the towers with the nrt tweeter could not be any happier.
JustaSheep likes this.
post #1596 of 1615 Old 09-05-2015, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I'm going to buy a new subwoofer soon and upgrade my speakers in the next year or so. If I'm using a good quality subwoofer (say the Rythmik F12 or comparable) with both, how much different will the Sierra-2's sound from the RAAL Towers?

Is it a misallocation of funds to buy the Towers (as opposed to the Sierra-2's) if I already own a good sub?

At what frequency does the Tower's midrange driver crossover to the woofer drivers? If I'm using a sub, would the Tower's two woofers basically go unused?

-thanks

edit: Since I wasn't getting a response here (maybe I'm being impatient), I cross posted this question on the Tower Discussion Thread at www.ascendacoustics.com

Last edited by meli; 09-07-2015 at 06:15 PM.
post #1597 of 1615 Old 09-11-2015, 09:19 PM

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by meli View Post

Is it a misallocation of funds to buy the Towers (as opposed to the Sierra-2's) if I already own a good sub?

If I'm using a sub, would the Tower's two woofers basically go unused?

-thanks
I'm using the towers with several large subs and I wouldn't change a thing. I feel like the towers potent bottom end crosses over seamlessly to my subs. Very happy.

Good luck with your decision!
meli likes this.
post #1598 of 1615 Unread 12-03-2015, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hope this is the right place to ask. Anyone using the 340's and having them closed to a wall? I'm on the fence right now but my current location has limited space. I won't be able to have front speakers a foot off the back wall. I can come out about 3-5 inches max. Here's a link to my thread with what I have chosen so far...

post #1599 of 1615 Unread 12-03-2015, 10:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckz07 View Post
Hope this is the right place to ask. Anyone using the 340's and having them closed to a wall? I'm on the fence right now but my current location has limited space. I won't be able to have front speakers a foot off the back wall. I can come out about 3-5 inches max. Here's a link to my thread with what I have chosen so far...

Pretty much what others have mentioned in your thread. If you cross them higher...probably around 80hz or so, you should be able to have them 5" from the wall.

I would call Ascend and get their feedback.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #1600 of 1615 Unread 12-04-2015, 03:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckz07 View Post

With the 340's high passed at 80Hz (crossed over), 3" of clearance behind them is all you need.

David Fabrikant

audio professional and soft spoken representative of www.AscendAcoustics.com

post #1601 of 1615 Unread 12-04-2015, 04:27 PM

Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascend View Post
With the 340's high passed at 80Hz (crossed over), 3" of clearance behind them is all you need.
Thanks for the reassurance. I placed my order last night for the 340's L/C/R. Can't wait!
post #1602 of 1615 Unread 03-23-2016, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 216
I've decided, after some experimentation, to go phantom with my Sierra setup. I will be offering my Horizon with RAAL for sale. If anyone's interested, please PM me.
AVSF458 likes this.
post #1603 of 1615 Unread 05-01-2016, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can the horizon center channel be ordered in a vertical form factor?
post #1604 of 1615 Unread 05-02-2016, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1354 Post(s)
Liked: 1596
Quote:
Originally Posted by scherukat View Post
There have been a number of folks (check the forum on Ascend's website) who have done custom versions. As for vertical implementation all that is required is rotating the RAAL tweeter 180 degrees. Similar to the Sierra 2 as a center. Three Horizons across the front is something I have fought doing for a few years. Send Dave a PM here, via the forum, or give them a call.

Panasonic 60VT60 (cal by DNice)
Denon 5200 w/ Outlaw 2200 Amps (3)
Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s F/R & Horizon w/ RAAL Center; Sierra 1s Surrounds; DefTech PM1000s Fronts & Top Middle w/ PSB S5 Rear Surrounds; PSA v1800 & SVS PC12+ Subs
Oppo 103; Onkyo HD-DVD; Apple TV & Roku/Fire Sticks
post #1605 of 1615 Unread 05-02-2016, 05:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by scherukat View Post

Yep - absolutely. We have many customers doing this. There are a lot of options regarding this (stock - custom etc.) so as already mentioned, please feel free to send me an email, call or PM.

Thanks in advance!
Djoel likes this.

David Fabrikant

audio professional and soft spoken representative of www.AscendAcoustics.com

post #1606 of 1615 Unread 09-21-2016, 06:17 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 84
I am surprised to see there isn't more action in this thread lately. Or in short "bump".
post #1607 of 1615 Unread 09-21-2016, 07:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by chomdh View Post
I am surprised to see there isn't more action in this thread lately. Or in short "bump".
The Official Ascend Sierra thread is pretty popular for all things ascend
post #1608 of 1615 Unread 10-17-2016, 06:25 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascend View Post

I would say if your goals are loud, dynamic and clean home theater, go with the NrT domes. If your goals are mostly low-level listening combined with extreme clarity and detail -- go with the ribbons. If a combination of both, go with the NrT domes and spend the ~$1000 savings on room treatments.
Hope this helps!
I realize this is an old quote (going back and reading this thread since I'm cosidering Ascend towers) but I think this should be in post 1 in this thread. I think this question is asked more than all others combined about these towers.

Thanks for the advise Dave! I think I know which way I need to roll on this...
post #1609 of 1615 Unread 11-06-2016, 06:27 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunmetalR56 View Post
I'm using the towers with several large subs and I wouldn't change a thing. I feel like the towers potent bottom end crosses over seamlessly to my subs. Very happy.

Good luck with your decision!
What is your crossover set at?
post #1610 of 1615 Unread 11-06-2016, 09:16 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast351 View Post
I realize this is an old quote (going back and reading this thread since I'm cosidering Ascend towers) but I think this should be in post 1 in this thread. I think this question is asked more than all others combined about these towers.

Thanks for the advise Dave! I think I know which way I need to roll on this...
As they wait for a new supply of drivers, I'm still a few weeks away from getting my towers. So I've been killing time going back thru the original tower thread over on the Ascend forum from the very beginning. One thing that does come up frequently is which is best for HT- the ribbons or the NrTs?
And the answer is almost always- go with the NrTs. Unfortunately that's just not the answer I want to hear .

The whole impetus for this upgrade for me was getting a variation of ribbons (AMTs) for my desktop music system almost a year ago. They may not be RAALs, but the sonic qualities blew me away and upped my music listening and enjoyment 1000%. That's what got me seriously thinking "what if I had this for my HT?"

I've gotten a taste of it with the Sierra 2s that I bought over the summer and if I have to be honest there definitely are positives and some less than positives about having ribbons in the HT. That airy, spacious quality to the ribbon sound can be magical when the tracks are mastered well. When the underscore kicks in for example, it can sometimes have this unearthly, almost phantasmagorical quality. Like a spell being swirled around the room.
If straight music listening were a concern, there would definitely be no question in my mind which way to go.

But when I'm watching an older film with more limited fidelity source material, there really is no benefit at all. In fact it can seem quite dead and I have to wonder if a more conventional compression driver might be able to punch that up a little more or gloss over those limitations better.
Stuff like that accounts for well over half of what I watch (My main love is for older catalog titles, not recent blockbusters) so enjoying that kind of content really should be my main focus.
But at the same time I'm all about cohesion. I want a seamless a soundstage as possible.

I'm now to the point where I'm wondering if I shouldn't just go with the NrTs on the towers, while I keep the RAAL for the center. That might be the answer to my lower-fi 2 channel source problem as well as allowing me to keep the Sierra 2's to swap in and out on occasion for a full RAAL front three. As it is now, if I do end up keeping the towers (RAALs as ordered now), I will definitely need to sell my Sierra 2s off to subsidize/justify the cost of the towers. And I still won't have a clue as to what the NrT would have added or detracted from the HT experience.

I think I just talked myself into calling Dina up tomorrow and altering my order (yet again). At least this way I would be able to take my time and give each set up a thorough evaluation without feeling financially under the gun.

It will cost more in the end if I decide to send the towers back for a RAAL upgrade. But at that point I would still have the S2 here to sell off to subsidize it, and the monetary hit wouldn't be coming all at once right now.

Any yays or nays- or observations from other owners of NrT/RAAL mixed systems would be appreciated.
post #1611 of 1615 Unread 11-14-2016, 01:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have the NRT towers and a RAAL Horizon for my living room setup. I have been very pleased with the setup. The movie dialogue is very clear and articulate and the dynamics for the left and right channel are great with NRT's. I watched Star Trek: Beyond last night in Atmos. Awesome!!!

The NRT's are also very capable with 2-channel music I listen to 2.1 music often and still am amazed at the cohesion of these speakers. My musical tastes include Adele, Disturbed, Muse, Tool, Smashing Pumpkins, and Dave Mathews Band. There is no sibilance (that I can hear) from the NRT's and they are still very well defined. They are no slouch at music. I made the choice more from a financial stand point, but I also feel I got a wonderful sounding system. I have no regrets going with the NRT towers and the RAAL Horizon, and do not have the "what am I missing" feeling either.

Go with whatever you want, but the RAAL/NRT combo is not a bad system at all! Also....no timbre/voicing issues with the tweeter difference across the front stage.
Billy p and JustaSheep like this.
post #1612 of 1615 Unread 11-14-2016, 05:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2350 Post(s)
Liked: 2739
I am thinking similarly. Have the Horizon with RAAL, but think I really may go with the NRT's for the towers. Mostly HT usage. For critical music listening, I find myself being drawn to headphones more, and for the difference in price, I could buy the HE-560 when they go on sale next week.

Decisions. Decisions. Decisions.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
Living room HT: Energy RC-50, Ascend Sierra Horizon w/RAAL, Ascend Sierra 1, PSB Imagine XA | PSA V1500 and CHT SS 18.1 | Denon X4200W | modified Dayton SA1000
Other rooms: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | Parasound Zamp | JBL LSR305
Headphone & Portable AKG K7XX | NAD HP50 | AKG K550 | Soundmagic E50 & E80 | DX50 | E12 | X1
post #1613 of 1615 Unread 11-14-2016, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 630
For me the real advantage of the RAAL is found within the Horizon and why I took the plunge to return it and have it refitted with the RAAL. Much like the above poster who enjoys his standard towers...I'm in the same boat. If I thought the value was there I would've done the Towers refit as well.....I dont take my movie or music listening for granted and the NrT are not a compromise...IMO...I listen to aggressive styles of music(like...progressive, classic & hard rock and yes...even metal), movie viewing preferences are certainly action flicks(Marvel, LOTR, fast action..etc) but can be all over the map on any given day and the ST have never disappointed...you'll be a happy camper which ever way you go...you'll likely get the proverbial push for the RAAL...the choice is yours...

Take care + good luck in your decision

Bill
JustaSheep likes this.

Ascend Acoustics Towers, STC w RAAL, 200 SE in espresso
54" of Panasonic Bliss, Anthem MRX 300, Oppo BDP-103D,
Apple TV+ Giga 1800

Sub FA 18(Santos RW)
Old Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors, but we borrow it from our children!

Last edited by Billy p; 11-14-2016 at 05:59 PM.
post #1614 of 1615 Unread 11-14-2016, 07:20 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I'd pretty much given up on getting a response to this

In fact, just posting those thoughts was a way to vent and in lieu of any feedback, I just went back to patiently waiting for the RAAL order to go through. Hadn't given the NrTs another thought after that.

But I think I need to more seriously consider this tonight. My rationale made a lot of sense to me when I posted it and reading it back over it still does.
Especially if some of you have already tried it and found it a more than workable alternative.

I do already know what RAALs across the front three sound like, albeit the smaller RAALs on the ends and no dedicated midrange. I only had the Horizon in the mix for about a week before I sent it back to swap out for a different finish. That was mid September and I'm chomping at the bit to at least get that piece back in the system.
I was going back and forth on whether to even bother getting the towers now or push them off another year. Usually I'm a "just do it right the first time" guy, but in this case, I'm very curious about the differences between the two tweeters and I would like to take my time over this winter leisurely comparing and contrasting them with a variety of content.

Hopefully I can still catch the order in time and make the switch tomorrow.

Thanks for everyones thoughts. You convinced me.

Last edited by Paulidan XM; 11-14-2016 at 07:43 PM.
post #1615 of 1615 Unread 11-15-2016, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 31
My listening habits are similar to Billy p and for the same reasons he mentions, I went with NrT Towers and RAAL Horizon. I am very happy with the 2.1 sound stage and the performance of the NrT's. The dome tweeters fill the room nicely while we listen and do chores, entertain, prepare a meal, etc. They are not a compromise.
AVSF458 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Speaker Systems