**Official Ascend Acoustics Tower Thread** - Page 7 - AVS Forum
First ... 5  6  7 8  9  ... Last
Speakers > **Official Ascend Acoustics Tower Thread**
cschang's Avatar cschang 11:10 PM 07-26-2011

stevensctt's Avatar stevensctt 11:16 PM 07-26-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

Interesting....

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...&postcount=338

Wow, more than interesting!
cschang's Avatar cschang 10:50 AM 07-27-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensctt View Post
Wow, more than interesting!
Yeah...I hope I get a chance to hear it.
merrymaid520's Avatar merrymaid520 11:28 AM 07-27-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post
Yeah...I hope I get a chance to hear it.
Better sooner than later! Hopefully it does not take you as long as the last time to hear the prototype

From what I have heard, the Ribbon version can be more easily integrated into the Towers 3-way arrangement due to the closer XO points of the Ribbon and mid range driver compared to say a two way design. I need to gather more information and Dave's opinion on how the two compare.
joez28ls1's Avatar joez28ls1 11:31 AM 07-27-2011
I'm dying to know how much the upgrade will cost and how soon it will be available!
HOTDIGITY's Avatar HOTDIGITY 12:27 PM 07-27-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by joez28ls1 View Post
I'm dying to know how much the upgrade will cost and how soon it will be available!
Probably going to be inline with the Songtower pricing, only now you get a true 3-way speaker with a bamboo enclosure.
Ascend's Avatar Ascend 02:13 PM 07-27-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTDIGITY View Post

Probably going to be inline with the Songtower pricing, only now you get a true 3-way speaker with a bamboo enclosure.

I am honestly not sure how long we will be able to maintain current pricing... Prices on everything are going up dramatically and the current government deficit fiasco is causing the dollar to fall against the Euro which only makes matters even worse
Ascend's Avatar Ascend 02:17 PM 07-27-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by joez28ls1 View Post

I'm dying to know how much the upgrade will cost and how soon it will be available!

I just posted some additional info on our forum. I don't believe I am allowed to link to it but the ribbon tweeter option will add $700 to a pair.
malaplace's Avatar malaplace 03:44 PM 07-27-2011
Whoa this is fascinating news. I'm on the pre-order list for the Towers and now seriously considering the upgrade. The only thing holding me back is that in my open floor plan home, my speakers are used to provide sound throughout the house. I've heard generally that typical ribbon tweets have a quite defined sweet spot -- and I'm never in the "sweet spot" of my current Sierra 1s. I've only heard ribbons in Magnolia theater rooms. I'm curious about folks in-home experience with ribbons? Especially if you don't do much critical listening in the sweet spot.
cschang's Avatar cschang 03:59 PM 07-27-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by malaplace View Post

Whoa this is fascinating news. I'm on the pre-order list for the Towers and now seriously considering the upgrade. The only thing holding me back is that in my open floor plan home, my speakers provide sound throughout the house. I've heard generally that typical ribbon tweets have a quite defined sweet spot -- and I'm never in the "sweet spot" of my current Sierra 1s. I've only heard ribbons in Magnolia theater rooms. I'm curious about folks in-home experience with ribbons? Especially if you don't do much critical listening in the sweet spot.

From what I know about ribbons...if you do not spend a lot time in the sweet spot, stick with the NrT(dome) tweeter.
malaplace's Avatar malaplace 04:40 PM 07-27-2011
Awesome thanks. Confirms my suspicions. Are you decided on the Towers? The wife thinks my stereo speaker quest is getting ridiculous.
Bill Mac's Avatar Bill Mac 06:34 PM 07-27-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by malaplace View Post

The wife thinks my stereo speaker quest is getting ridiculous.

Most wifes do.

Bill
cschang's Avatar cschang 11:15 PM 07-27-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by malaplace View Post

Awesome thanks. Confirms my suspicions. Are you decided on the Towers? The wife thinks my stereo speaker quest is getting ridiculous.

I am leaning heavily towards getting a pair.

No wife for me! My daughter loves playing her music on the system...although she has created a Justin Bieber channel on my Pandora account!
holt7153's Avatar holt7153 09:54 AM 07-28-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post
I am leaning heavily towards getting a pair.

No wife for me! My daughter loves playing her music on the system...although she has created a Justin Bieber channel on my Pandora account!
C'mon Curtis-you know you fire up that Justin Bieber channel when when nobody's around
cschang's Avatar cschang 12:05 PM 07-28-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post
C'mon Curtis-you know you fire up that Justin Bieber channel when when nobody's around
Ha...torture...pure torture!


On other news...Dave has posted pics of a prototype matching center to go along with the tower. The STC (Sierra Tower Center):

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...&postcount=354
JustaSheep's Avatar JustaSheep 01:00 PM 08-09-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

From what I know about ribbons...if you do not spend a lot time in the sweet spot, stick with the NrT(dome) tweeter.

Regarding the ribbon tweeter option, would it make any sense to consider a ribbon tweeter for the Center and leave the domes on the mains? Just a thought considering the sweet spot issue. Obviously, if using 5.1 for HT use, being out of the sweet spot is not really an issue. I do not know what this will do to the l/c/r cohesion in regards to tonal quality, but I'm sure someone who knows more than me will offer thoughts.

Gentlemen?
merrymaid520's Avatar merrymaid520 01:24 PM 08-09-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustaSheep View Post

but I'm sure someone who knows more than me will offer thoughts.

Gentlemen?

I'll offer my thoughts just because now I am a gentleman who knows more than you
Its generally not the best idea to mix/match the front 3 speakers due to timbre matching when sounds pan across the front soundstage. I am not sure the added cost for the Ribbon just for the center would be worth it. I would consult Dave to get his take on this considering he has heard both Tower versions back to back.
Chu Gai's Avatar Chu Gai 02:23 PM 08-09-2011
Merrymaid likes the front three to match and identical is even nicer. Hefner likes identical triplets. 'Nuff said?
merrymaid520's Avatar merrymaid520 05:18 PM 08-09-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post

Merrymaid likes the front three to match and identical is even nicer. Hefner likes identical triplets. 'Nuff said?

Touche
cschang's Avatar cschang 10:39 PM 08-15-2011
If you are interested, head over to the Ascend forum...Dave has posted a picture of some custom finished Towers.
Chu Gai's Avatar Chu Gai 04:52 AM 08-16-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

If you are interested, head over to the Ascend forum...Dave has posted a picture of some custom finished Towers.

Your earlier post, which has vanished, had a link that I clicked on. Turns out you've got to be a member of the forum to view it. It would be nice if one didn't have to join in order to view pics. Nothing personal. Just a general pet peeve of mine.
cschang's Avatar cschang 08:24 AM 08-16-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post

Your earlier post, which has vanished, had a link that I clicked on. Turns out you've got to be a member of the forum to view it. It would be nice if one didn't have to join in order to view pics. Nothing personal. Just a general pet peeve of mine.

I'll see if I can get pics.

Someone reported the earlier post as "marketing".
Chu Gai's Avatar Chu Gai 08:47 AM 08-16-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

I'll see if I can get pics.

Someone reported the earlier post as "marketing".

Probably someone driving by with a case of deltoid road rage.
malaplace's Avatar malaplace 01:08 PM 08-16-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post

Probably someone driving by with a case of deltoid road rage.

Or a Salk owner haha...
HOTDIGITY's Avatar HOTDIGITY 01:31 PM 08-16-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

I'll see if I can get pics.

Someone reported the earlier post as "marketing".

Yeah, wouldn't want to post anything relating to the Ascend Towers in a thread dedicated to them....
merrymaid520's Avatar merrymaid520 01:41 PM 08-16-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by malaplace View Post

or a salk owner haha...

Nuance, are you in here?

Ascend's Avatar Ascend 02:09 PM 08-16-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post

Your earlier post, which has vanished, had a link that I clicked on. Turns out you've got to be a member of the forum to view it. It would be nice if one didn't have to join in order to view pics. Nothing personal. Just a general pet peeve of mine.

Chu, you mean after all this time you still haven't joined our little forum?

I have found that by limiting certain access to forum members only, spam is greatly reduced. Also, we have had issues in the past where a picture from our forum (with a large file size) was used somewhere else on a high traffic site without our permission. It was being referenced such that our server was "serving" the picture and this caused serious bandwidth issues and forum problems as the forum can only support so many connections at one time. Limiting access as we do is a necessary evil, at least until we can find a solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

I'll see if I can get pics.

Someone reported the earlier post as "marketing".

That makes me sad, posting a picture of this finish option in a thread dedicated to this speaker is important information to share with those interested in the speaker. Pictures of various finish options for many brands of loudspeakers are posted on this forum every day. This is not vaporware, this pair of speakers is being picked up by the customer in about 3 hours.

I will be sad to say goodbye to this pair -- pictures don't do them justice. I will try to take some decent pictures later today before we say goodbye to them.
Chu Gai's Avatar Chu Gai 02:34 PM 08-16-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascend View Post

Chu, you mean after all this time you still haven't joined our little forum?

Nope. Nothing personal.

Quote:


I have found that by limiting certain access to forum members only, spam is greatly reduced. Also, we have had issues in the past where a picture from our forum (with a large file size) was used somewhere else on a high traffic site without our permission. It was being referenced such that our server was "serving" the picture and this caused serious bandwidth issues and forum problems as the forum can only support so many connections at one time. Limiting access as we do is a necessary evil, at least until we can find a solution.

You need to speak to your webmaster about how picture linking can be restricted. There also also programs that will trim the file size without adversely compromising image quality.
Nuance's Avatar Nuance 07:13 AM 08-17-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post

Nuance, are you in here?

I'm always around but choose to ignore the tasteless pot shots.

There is a general misnomer about ribbons tweeters that seems to be running rampant in this thread (and another). Their horizontal dispersion is actually quite good, though it will depend on the quality of the driver, size and implementation. The vertical dispersion will not be as nice as a quality dome, due to the shape and size of the driver, but most people listen sitting down instead of standing, so... A well implemented quality dome should have better overall dispersion, but in my opinion it isn't as resolving, and some quality ribbons can actually be crossed lower than a typical dome (this is also a general misunderstanding, as I've seen it said they all have to be crossed higher than a dome), thus allowing for a fuller sounding midrange (more accurate IMO). No one wants a thin midrange. Driver design is just like speaker design in that there are tradeoffs. Having the option to choose is certainly better than be limited to one option. If you like a dome - great. If you want to try a ribbon - cool. The important thing is that said driver(s) are implemented correctly, and considering Dave knows what he's doing I think you guys are a good shape.

Dave, is that the RAAL ribbon?

P.S. Don't forget that the limited horizontal dispersion of a ribbon helps with ceiling/floor reflections, and that is a good thing. I'll take a properly integrated, quality ribbon any day.
Nuance's Avatar Nuance 07:18 AM 08-17-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

I'll see if I can get pics.

Someone reported the earlier post as "marketing".

Really? That's pretty pathetic that someone would do that. Why not have someone besides yourself post the pictures? That way they cannot be accused of "marketing."
Tags: Speaker Systems
First ... 5  6  7 8  9  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop