Bookshelf speaker + receiver under $500 for 100% music. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 11-23-2010, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Greetings Gurus,

This is my first time setting up a system though had an out-of-box 5.1 for a while.

I'm in market to get a pair of good bookshelf speakers and receiver which would be essentially used for music. Currently am not in for a sub so a speaker with some bass would be preferable.

The receiver that I'm trying to pick is Pioneer VSX-820-K, chiefly because, I'm getting them for ~$180. I've read mixed reviews about this but with the budget I've I couldn't find a better one without compromising on the speakers.

The type of music I usually hear is...
Classic Rock (Pink Floyd/Led Zep/Eagles), Alternative Rock (Pearl Jam/Nirvana), Country(John Denver/Tim McGraw), Pop (Coldplay/Oasis), New Age (Enigma)

I went to Best Buy n Fry's to hear the usual suspects out... Polk (Tsi 100), Klipsch (VB-15), Bose (301/201), KEF, Infinity... and found that I liked the way Polk and Klipsch sounded compared to others. Bose being reflective speakers, am not sure whether their performance were hampered being set in the open.

Personally, I liked the lows and the mids in the Polk while the Klipsch were good in their highs... though I found Klipsch to be a bit 'metallic'... and hence was wondering whether that was a bad piece as theres lotta love out their for them Klipschs.

Hence, I narrowed it down to the following Polks and am curious whether I missed some other great brands for not been exposed to them.
Polk Tsi 200
Polk Monitor 40 Series II
Polk RTi A1

These would be placed in my living room which is around 13'x21'.

I would be grateful for any suggestions or pointers regarding the speakers/receivers I should look out for.

Thanks in advance... =)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-23-2010, 09:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Go to Crutchfield.com and look at the Polk Rti6 and Rti4 -
very good prices. I would opt for the Rti6 first. The Pioneer
820 is OK - I own one as a back up receiver.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #3 of 9 Old 11-23-2010, 11:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 512
I would look at the Behringer 2031p speakers and the Harman/Kardon 3490 stereo receiver. The Behringer speakers are pretty large for bookshelf speakers, but large is something you'll need for decent bass- the 2031p's have 8.75" woofers which can output strong bass down to the 50 to 60 hz area. The sound quality of these speakers are terrific, just do a search for them here of other audio forums to see how highly regarded they are. These are 4 ohm speakers though, but the HK 3490 receiver will drive those babies just fine, I have a setup just like this.

The Pioneer receiver you are looking at would not be able to drive those speakers. I also doubt that it could truly give out 110 watts per channel like it claims, although the HK receiver really does push 120 watts per channel. Besides that, the Pioneer is a home theater receiver, so you would end up paying for a lot of features you would never use, especially since you only intend to use two of its channels. For two channel audio, the HK will give you a lot more bang for your buck.

If the Behringer speakers don't appeal to you, check out the Hsu Research HB-1 speakers, which is another good bookshelf speaker with very good bass- bass about as good as the Behringer but in a smaller, lighter speaker. They are rear ported though, so you wouldn't want to place them right against a wall, the vents need a few inches to breath. They aren't as demanding of amplifiers as the Behringers though, so you could use them with any receiver, however they are a bit more expensive. I've used both the Hsu and Behringer speakers with the HK 3490, they are both very listenable without subs.

Look around and you can get the HK receiver for under 300, and the Behringers for 160. The Hsu speakers are only available from their website, www.hsuresearch.com.
post #4 of 9 Old 11-24-2010, 09:32 AM

If you "fan" them on facebook, and buy today, you can get the following system for $510 shipped which includes a 2 channel Sherwood stereo receiver, bookshelves/monitors, and an 8" sealed sub:

http://www.nhthifi.com/bookshelf-spe...&category=3830

Be hard to top that as is for the $$$, but for an additional $85, you can get this system also with Sanus stands and Audioquest speaker wire and sub cable:

http://www.nhthifi.com/bookshelf-spe...&category=3830
post #5 of 9 Old 11-24-2010, 09:58 AM

2nd recommendation for the Hsu research HB-1 speakers if you like the Klipsch sound but without the metallic midrange.
post #6 of 9 Old 11-24-2010, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky14 View Post
2nd recommendation for the Hsu research HB-1 speakers if you like the Klipsch sound but without the metallic midrange.
I'll 3rd it...

Russ
post #7 of 9 Old 11-24-2010, 11:29 AM

I would look at Jamo C403s and C601s you can get them online for within your budget. Jamo are very good sounding speakers for Music and I would say definitely better than the polks as I own both the C401s (smaller brother to the 403) and Polk Monitor series. I think you would find the Polk RTiA might be a little too bright for just music.
post #8 of 9 Old 11-25-2010, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for your inputs. I'd not considered the ones mentioned here originally... looking out for a place where I could hear them out.
post #9 of 9 Old 11-25-2010, 11:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 388
How bout some Energy RC-10s to go with that Pioneer receiver? both will get you out the door under $500.

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it..._c=site_search

Or if you really like the Polk sound go for the Rti4 as suggested above. At $150/pr this will allow you to spend more on a receiver if you wish.

Afro GT
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page