Monitor 70 vs Monitor 70 Series II - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 Old 11-23-2010, 11:03 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
BLACKTOOTHGRIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought a pair of Monitor 70's recently,
and I'm currently waiting for my new speaker wire to arrive.
Almost every review I've read on these speakers was outstanding,
so I can't wait to hook everything up.

However...I personally think they are pretty ugly with the Grey Front.
I've noticed that there are some places selling a Monitor 70 speaker with a much better looking Black Front.
They call them the Monitor 70 Series II. (2010 version)
All the speaker specs are the same, just a different front.

I'm wondering if anyone can confirm this for me,
because if that's the case,
I'll return the ones I have,
and buy the ones with the Black front.
At the same time....I WANT THE BETTER SPEAKER OF COURSE.
Does anyone know if the Monitor 70 Series II sounds as good as the original Monitor 70?

-BLACKTOOTHGRIN
BLACKTOOTHGRIN is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 39 Old 11-23-2010, 11:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
palehorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,393
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
You are correct. The only difference between the Series I and Series II is the color of the front plastic under the grill. Everything else is identical.
palehorse is offline  
post #3 of 39 Old 11-23-2010, 11:18 PM
Member
 
nastynice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
pretty much the same thing from what i read

this thread goes into it in a lil more detail
http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...+series&page=3

better looking tho...
nastynice is offline  
post #4 of 39 Old 11-24-2010, 12:12 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
BLACKTOOTHGRIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for confirming that guys,
and for the additional thread.
The silk tweeter on the old and the cloth on the new was the only difference that I overlooked.
Would that make much of a difference?
If so, which of the 2 would be better?
It also concerns me a bit that Polk isn't advertising these in any way.

I'm gonna call Polk tomorrow and hopefully get some more info on the Series II.
If they're the same same exact speaker as the series 1,
I'll definitely be returning the other ones because I just bought a
Polk CS20 Center Speaker that is black, and it would be nice if they matched.

The eye sore would then be the PSW505 Sub that I bought.
It has the grey front as well.
No fixing that one though.
The reason I say that is because I didn't seeing anything close to comparable as far as specs go....and still keeping the price reasonable.
If I'm wrong, let me know.
The closest I think would be the PSW125, but it only has half the power and costs more.
For double the power,
and the great buy I got on it,
I think I can live with the ugly grey front and cheapo grill.

-BLACKTOOTHGRIN
BLACKTOOTHGRIN is offline  
post #5 of 39 Old 11-24-2010, 12:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
afrogt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 23,409
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 417
The Monitor Series II speakers are sold exclusively thru newegg.com

as far as the subwoofer, leave the grill on. Or just buy a different brand sub.

Afro GT
afrogt is offline  
post #6 of 39 Old 11-24-2010, 03:12 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
BLACKTOOTHGRIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Okay.
That makes me even more confused.
Why wouldn't Polk want to push a speaker that was so highly reviewed in the past?
Something about that seems a little off to me.
I hope I get a good Polk Rep on the phone tomorrow that has some knowledge of this and is willing to share it, rather than some guy that just reads from a spec list and says, "duh...I don't know" when asked any other questions.

As far as the sub goes.
Yeah of course I'd keep the grill on.
That's the only thing that's going to provide any protection.
Very little though.
That's what I meant about it being cheap.
It looks to be one of those flimsy material grills. (it hasn't arrived yet)
I would think that Polk would've automatically put a fixed metal grill on something that is front firing, and sitting on the floor.
Wouldn't you?

The other reason to keep it on is because it's the only thing that somewhat hides that nasty grey color.

-BLACKTOOTHGRIN
BLACKTOOTHGRIN is offline  
post #7 of 39 Old 11-24-2010, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
karlsaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Maple Grove, MN
Posts: 1,634
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Go to Lowes and get some black spray paint!

Sounds good!
karlsaudio is offline  
post #8 of 39 Old 11-24-2010, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
palehorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,393
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKTOOTHGRIN
Thanks for confirming that guys,
and for the additional thread.
The silk tweeter on the old and the cloth on the new was the only difference that I overlooked.
Would that make much of a difference?
If so, which of the 2 would be better?
It also concerns me a bit that Polk isn't advertising these in any way.

I'm gonna call Polk tomorrow and hopefully get some more info on the Series II.
If they're the same same exact speaker as the series 1,
I'll definitely be returning the other ones because I just bought a
Polk CS20 Center Speaker that is black, and it would be nice if they matched.

The eye sore would then be the PSW505 Sub that I bought.
It has the grey front as well.
No fixing that one though.
The reason I say that is because I didn't seeing anything close to comparable as far as specs go....and still keeping the price reasonable.
If I'm wrong, let me know.
The closest I think would be the PSW125, but it only has half the power and costs more.
For double the power,
and the great buy I got on it,
I think I can live with the ugly grey front and cheapo grill.
Both series' use the same materials for the speakers. The supposed difference (silk vs Cloth) was just a rumor when the Series II showed up last summer.

My front stage is a mix of Series I M70s and a Series II CS2, and they're identical.
palehorse is offline  
post #9 of 39 Old 11-24-2010, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
BLACKTOOTHGRIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse View Post

Both series' use the same materials for the speakers. The supposed difference (silk vs Cloth) was just a rumor when the Series II showed up last summer.

My front stage is a mix of Series I M70s and a Series II CS2, and they're identical.

I'm just going by the specs. that Newegg is listing.
On the series 2 it literally states cloth.
I wonder if rumor went into reality or do you think the Newegg specs are wrong?
I called them, and obviously they don't know.

Polk's website doesn't even show them.
I tried calling them today, but they must be closed for the holidays.
So who knows when I'll get any confirmation from them.

But just for comparison sake,
let's say that it IS cloth rather than silk.
What are the pro's and cons of each?
Which is better?
What will sound better?
I like my highs to be HIGH...and crisp of course.

-BLACKTOOTHGRIN
BLACKTOOTHGRIN is offline  
post #10 of 39 Old 11-24-2010, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
palehorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,393
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKTOOTHGRIN View Post


I'm just going by the specs. that Newegg is listing.
On the series 2 it literally states cloth.
I wonder if rumor went into reality or do you think the Newegg specs are wrong?
I called them, and obviously they don't know.

Polk's website doesn't even show them.
I tried calling them today, but they must be closed for the holidays.
So who knows when I'll get any confirmation from them.

But just for comparison sake,
let's say that it IS cloth rather than silk.
What are the pro's and cons of each?
Which is better?
What will sound better?
I like my highs to be HIGH...and crisp of course.

I'm telling you, the materials are the same. I am looking at both right now.
palehorse is offline  
post #11 of 39 Old 11-24-2010, 03:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
afrogt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 23,409
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 417
I would believe the guy that owns both speakers. No need to make a phone call.

Afro GT
afrogt is offline  
post #12 of 39 Old 11-24-2010, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
BLACKTOOTHGRIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No....not at all.
It's not that I don't believe you.
But you're looking at a cs2 series 2 center speaker right?
I'm talking about a series 2 monitor 70.
I would think that they are built differently being two different speaker types.
They're not?
I really have no idea.
This is my 1st experience with polks.
So please bare with me.

-BLACKTOOTHGRIN
BLACKTOOTHGRIN is offline  
post #13 of 39 Old 11-24-2010, 04:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
afrogt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 23,409
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 417
well, if you're really worried just make sure everything you get is all Series II stuff.

Series II CS2 and Series II Monitor 70 both have the "cloth" tweeter.

But I'm pretty confident they use the same tweeter as the previous models.

And if you're really, really worried call Newegg to verify.

If you like bright, crisp highs you probably selected the right speakers. Either the Polks or some Klipsch.

Afro GT
afrogt is offline  
post #14 of 39 Old 11-24-2010, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
BLACKTOOTHGRIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yeah...all Newegg can confirm is what whoever typed in the info....
not much help for anything else.

Do you know which tweeters are better?
Regular Cloth or Silk?
Why, and what the main difference is?
From my reading, no one really specifies what the difference is,
they just say that the silk is a better material...which is obvious.
I just wonder if the difference between regular cloth and silk would have any noticeable difference to the ear.

-BLACKTOOTHGRIN
BLACKTOOTHGRIN is offline  
post #15 of 39 Old 11-24-2010, 05:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
afrogt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 23,409
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 417
I can't help you. If Palehorse who has series I and series II speakers says the tweeters are the same and you still have more questions, there is nothing I can do to help you out. All the series II speakers use the same tweeter whether it is a tower, bookshelf or center.

I've had Athena brand towers, bookshelf, centers and they all use the exact same tweeter too!

Same with my Energy RC-10 bookshelf, RC Mini center and RC Mini sats. All same tweeter.

That's how you get matching speakers, same brand and same series uses same tweeters. Sometimes you may get larger woofers on the bigger towers but the tweeters are the same!

Good luck...I'm moving on.

Afro GT
afrogt is offline  
post #16 of 39 Old 11-24-2010, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
RonaldoCombs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,654
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Silk IS cloth. I'd recommend a better sub - not made by Polk.

Ron
RonaldoCombs is offline  
post #17 of 39 Old 11-24-2010, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
BLACKTOOTHGRIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

I can't help you. If Palehorse who has series I and series II speakers says the tweeters are the same and you still have more questions, there is nothing I can do to help you out. All the series II speakers use the same tweeter whether it is a tower, bookshelf or center.

I've had Athena brand towers, bookshelf, centers and they all use the exact same tweeter too!

Same with my Energy RC-10 bookshelf, RC Mini center and RC Mini sats. All same tweeter.

That's how you get matching speakers, same brand and same series uses same tweeters. Sometimes you may get larger woofers on the bigger towers but the tweeters are the same!

Good luck...I'm moving on.

Oh...I see.
I didn't realize that they used the same tweeter on all the different sizes of speakers.
And if he has both series 1 and 2, yeah he would know.
QUESTION ANSWERED.

Guess I wasn't clear enough at first.
And like I said, I'm pretty new to this stuff.

Thanks for your help guys.
I'll definitely go with series 2 because they look alot better to my eye.

Have a safe and Happy Thanksgiving.

-BLACKTOOTHGRIN
BLACKTOOTHGRIN is offline  
post #18 of 39 Old 11-24-2010, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
BLACKTOOTHGRIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldoCombs View Post

Silk IS cloth. I'd recommend a better sub - not made by Polk.

Ron

That part's not gonna happen.
I wasn't looking to spend a fortune in the first place.
I got one hell of a deal already,
and today they just dropped the price again.
So I got another credit on top of that.
For what I paid....can't beat it IMO.

-BLACKTOOTHGRIN
BLACKTOOTHGRIN is offline  
post #19 of 39 Old 11-24-2010, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
palehorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,393
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKTOOTHGRIN View Post


That part's not gonna happen.
I wasn't looking to spend a fortune in the first place.
I got one hell of a deal already,
and today they just dropped the price again.
So I got another credit on top of that.
For what I paid....can't beat it IMO.

You bought the Polk sub?

We'll see you in a month or two when you decide to sell it...
palehorse is offline  
post #20 of 39 Old 11-25-2010, 01:37 AM
Member
 
nastynice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKTOOTHGRIN View Post

That part's not gonna happen.
I wasn't looking to spend a fortune in the first place.
I got one hell of a deal already,
and today they just dropped the price again.
So I got another credit on top of that.
For what I paid....can't beat it IMO.

Lemme throw a suggestion out there

Assuming that ur looking at newegg for these prices (since theyre the only company i'm aware of that carry series II), you could grab monitor 60's for $115 a pop as opposed to the $160 for the 70's. One reason for this is obviously you'll save money, but another reason is that the main advantage of the 70's over the 60's is the low end output it gives. But if your pairing a sub to this system it won't make much a difference. Obviously the extra driver on the 70 will give you a "fuller" sound, but I dont think its that big a diff.

I've also read reviews which stated the 60's had better sound quality than 70's due to the fact that the 70's play to a lower frequency, getting "muddy". <---just what i've read, can't vouch for it

Also, polk subs are just not good. They REALLY aren't. I don't think you'll do your monitor speakers justice with a polk sub. I'm not sure how good the deal is you got on the sub, but maybe if you go the route I stated above you can use some of that saved money toward a different sub, I think you'll be much more happy with that set up. Even if you want to stick with the 70's, I think it will be worth it for you to drop a little bit more $$ for a nicer sub. Maybe if u tell us how much you're spending on the sub people here can give some suggestions for better subs in a similar price range. Nothin sets off a system like some CLEAN LOW bass, and nothing kills it more than distorted bass.
nastynice is offline  
post #21 of 39 Old 11-25-2010, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
BLACKTOOTHGRIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wow.
I'm shocked to hear this about the Polk Subs.
What the hell's wrong with them?
All the reviews I read were VERY positive on this unit,
as were the Monitor 70's.
The sub I ordered is the older PSW505.
12' 300w rms 400 something peak.
$200 shipped.
Should be here Monday I think.
You guys are making these speakers sound like the biggest pieces of sh*t on Earth.
If that's the case, why do they get such great reviews?

-BLACKTOOTHGRIN
BLACKTOOTHGRIN is offline  
post #22 of 39 Old 11-26-2010, 12:15 AM
AVS Special Member
 
palehorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,393
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKTOOTHGRIN View Post

Wow.
I'm shocked to hear this about the Polk Subs.
What the hell's wrong with them?
All the reviews I read were VERY positive on this unit,
as were the Monitor 70's.
The sub I ordered is the older PSW505.
12' 300w rms 400 something peak.
$200 shipped.
Should be here Monday I think.
You guys are making these speakers sound like the biggest pieces of sh*t on Earth.
If that's the case, why do they get such great reviews?

The Monitor 70 speakers are fantastic, but the cheap Polk subs are just garbage.

Subs do not have to match any other speakers in your setup.

For $200, you could get a much better sub. The BIC F12 comes to mind...
palehorse is offline  
post #23 of 39 Old 11-26-2010, 12:59 AM
Senior Member
 
biz64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Macomb, Michigan
Posts: 239
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Do what nastynice says! Get the monitor 60s and use the extra cash on a bic pl200 for $270 shipped. Will blow the polk sub out of the water. He's also right about the M60s vs. the M70s. Once you add the sub you cant tell the difference, at least I couldn't.

My build thread
The "Big House" Build
biz64 is offline  
post #24 of 39 Old 11-26-2010, 01:25 AM
Member
 
nastynice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKTOOTHGRIN View Post

Wow.
I'm shocked to hear this about the Polk Subs.
What the hell's wrong with them?
All the reviews I read were VERY positive on this unit,
as were the Monitor 70's.
The sub I ordered is the older PSW505.
12' 300w rms 400 something peak.
$200 shipped.
Should be here Monday I think.
You guys are making these speakers sound like the biggest pieces of sh*t on Earth.
If that's the case, why do they get such great reviews?

Monitor speakers are nice, in fact all polk speakers are pretty nice. But for some odd reason they really dropped the ball when it comes to subs. I have no idea why, or whats going on, but their subs just distort so easily, I can't imagine anyone being satisfied with those subs.

I'll probably get ripped on for suggesting this but you could grab this velodyne http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...velodyne-vx-11 it'll sound cleaner AND its cheaper.

I got limited experience so that's all i can suggest from personal experience.

Based off of what i've been reading, there's a company called lava that's putting out some amazing subs.
http://www.lavasubs.com/10_inch/powe...subwoofer.html
It'll cost u a lil more but it sounds well worth it. They got a thread going on in the subwoofer forum, I think you can get a discount if you mention this website. I actually also just bought some monitors off of newegg (just the bookshelfs, not as nice as yours ) and I'm thinking reallllly hard about getting the 12" lava sub to go with it.

I've also read good things about the BIC mentioned above.
nastynice is offline  
post #25 of 39 Old 11-26-2010, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
BLACKTOOTHGRIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse View Post

The Monitor 70 speakers are fantastic, but the cheap Polk subs are just garbage.

Subs do not have to match any other speakers in your setup.

For $200, you could get a much better sub. The BIC F12 comes to mind...

Yeah...I thought that when matching speakers it was best to get all the same kind.
I'm kind of in a bind now with the sub.
I got it from NewEgg.
I hate their customer support...or LACK THERE OF.
Unless the thing is damaged, I'll have to pay a 20% restocking fee + shipping back to them.
All in all, that could run me $75 alone.
Any suggestions on how to get around that?

I looked at the BIC F12.
Looks nice.
I'm guessing the sound will be cleaner based on what you've stated.
I can't see in the picture if there is a LFE jack though.
Do you know?
But won't it be lacking as the rms is only half that of the polk?

I listen to all sorts of music, but mainly rock & metal.
The RMS power is really important to me because of the constant
double kick of the bass drum in that type of music.
Do you think it would keep up in my sort of application?





Quote:
Originally Posted by nastynice View Post

Monitor speakers are nice, in fact all polk speakers are pretty nice. But for some odd reason they really dropped the ball when it comes to subs. I have no idea why, or whats going on, but their subs just distort so easily, I can't imagine anyone being satisfied with those subs.

I'll probably get ripped on for suggesting this but you could grab this velodyne http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...velodyne-vx-11 it'll sound cleaner AND its cheaper.

I got limited experience so that's all i can suggest from personal experience.

Based off of what i've been reading, there's a company called lava that's putting out some amazing subs.
http://www.lavasubs.com/10_inch/powe...subwoofer.html
It'll cost u a lil more but it sounds well worth it. They got a thread going on in the subwoofer forum, I think you can get a discount if you mention this website. I actually also just bought some monitors off of newegg (just the bookshelfs, not as nice as yours ) and I'm thinking reallllly hard about getting the 12" lava sub to go with it.

I've also read good things about the BIC mentioned above.

Thanks for the links man.
I'll check all those out too.
I've heard good things about Velodyne's pricey subs,
but not on this particular model.

-BLACKTOOTHGRIN
BLACKTOOTHGRIN is offline  
post #26 of 39 Old 11-26-2010, 09:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
afrogt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 23,409
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Test out your new Polk sub and see if you like it. If it meets your needs don't worry about replacing it. Getting charged $75 to return a $200 sub seems outrageous. Sell it locally if you don't like it.

Afro GT
afrogt is offline  
post #27 of 39 Old 11-26-2010, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
BLACKTOOTHGRIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As for the floor speakers.....
I finally had time to hook up the original Monitor 70's and give them a listen.
Uh...not to sure what to say.
They do sound nice, don't get me wrong.
Very clean and crisp.
Seem to be accurate.
Pretty much an absent low end though.
Once I get a sub, I'm sure it won't matter.

I was originally going to return these and get the series II model,
just because I liked black better than grey,
but then I ran into some Polk RTI10's.
Since I ran into some shipping issue with the Monitor 70's,
I'm being offered the RTI10's shipped to my door for the exact same price as the Monitor 70 Series II.
(which are $50 more than the originals btw, so it's still an additional $100 either way)

What do you guys think about those instead of the 70's?
I talked to a Polk rep today, and he said that the RTI10's are twice as good as the Monitor 70's.
I'm not sure if I believe that totally, but I still think I should go for em with that good of a deal..right?

-BLACKTOOTHGRIN
BLACKTOOTHGRIN is offline  
post #28 of 39 Old 11-26-2010, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
BLACKTOOTHGRIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

Test out your new Polk sub and see if you like it. If it meets your needs don't worry about replacing it. Getting charged $75 to return a $200 sub seems outrageous. Sell it locally if you don't like it.

Thats no joke.
I've never liked buying bulky items from NewEgg just for that reason.

I'll definitely give the Polk a listen.
I'm not sure if I'll like it or not.
The only experience I have with subs are for auto.
I have some Rockford P2's in two different vehicles,
and they've always satisfied me.
Yes...the P3's are better, but not for the price hike that comes with them.
The P1's are crap in my opinion.
This is my 1st time buying a home sub,
but I definitely want the best bang for my buck as well.

-BLACKTOOTHGRIN
BLACKTOOTHGRIN is offline  
post #29 of 39 Old 11-26-2010, 10:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
afrogt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 23,409
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 417
The RTi10 is better than the Monitor 70. Its a step up in product lines, better drivers and build quality. RTi10 also uses real wood cabinets vs vinyl finishes.
http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/p.../recent/rti10/

Of course you should upgrade your center channel too if you go that route. The Csi5 will be very hard to find though. There are a couple on ebay right now but the cost is between $260-340.

Afro GT
afrogt is offline  
post #30 of 39 Old 11-26-2010, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
BLACKTOOTHGRIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well...I'm still waiting for the call.
They said they had to do a mock up order because of the special price.
That's fine.
It gives me chance to talk about this a little more.

Are you say that the CS20 that I ordered won't match up properly with the RTi10's?
The specs between it and the CSi5 are pretty close.
Or are you just talking about the driver quality?

-BLACKTOOTHGRIN
BLACKTOOTHGRIN is offline  
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off