Are my Athena speakers outdated? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 11-27-2010, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So way back in early 2005 I purchased the following speaker set up from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002H6M0S/

Since then I've gotten married and we've just purchased our first home home and we'll be moving in soon.

I will be doing a 'proper' home theatre a good screen, mounting the projector and speakers, proper room treatments, etc.

I just wanted to check with the experts on whether my speakers were considered 'good' still.

I plan on doing at least 7.1 surround sound (I have enough matching Athena S.5 speakers) and was curious if my current speakers are up to the task sound-wise.

Has speaker technology advanced a lot in the past 5 years? Are my speakers now outdated? Or will I be unlikely to notice much of a different with newer speakers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-27-2010, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Tech hasn't really changed, subwoofer options have gotten better and cheaper, the Athena's are as good as ever.

If they're going into a large or largish-medium sized treated room you might not get the volume you want. I'd recommend trying Athena's out in your room first and getting another sub.

Another thing that hasn't changed is that you can *always* do better, if your budget has improved considerably then there are lots of good options - especially in a dedicated room.

Ron
post #3 of 10 Old 11-27-2010, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldoCombs View Post

Tech hasn't really changed, subwoofer options have gotten better and cheaper, the Athena's are as good as ever.

If they're going into a large or largish-medium sized treated room you might not get the volume you want. I'd recommend trying Athena's out in your room first and getting another sub.

Another thing that hasn't changed is that you can *always* do better, if your budget has improved considerably then there are lots of good options - especially in a dedicated room.

Ron

Thanks so much for your input. I had suspected that the speakers are probably still pretty good.

My current subwoofer is the Athena AS-P300 http://www.athenaspeakers.com/produc...p300-overview/

I'm still at the early stages of learning how to do a theatre room 'proper'. For example I still need to learn what sort of treatments I can do, what affect they have on things, etc.

When you suggest getting another sub, do you mean a 'second' sub? Or replacing the Athena sub I have with a newer, better one?

Back in 2005 when I got this sub it was because it was supposedly 'mated' with my Athena speakers. If I get a new sub, do I have to worry about this at all? Should I get a new athena for example or will any sub do? Any advice here?
post #4 of 10 Old 11-27-2010, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sembiance View Post

Back in 2005 when I got this sub it was because it was supposedly 'mated' with my Athena speakers. If I get a new sub, do I have to worry about this at all? Should I get a new athena for example or will any sub do? Any advice here?

This "mated" business is BS that the sales person tells you (they often believe it), I fell for it myself once.

I do mean a second sub and better sub, 7.2 will be a pretty big improvement, according to members of the sub forum (a good place to get sub info) ID (Internet Direct) subs are the way to go.

Ron
post #5 of 10 Old 11-28-2010, 04:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sembiance View Post

So way back in early 2005 I purchased the following speaker set up from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002H6M0S/

Since then I've gotten married and we've just purchased our first home home and we'll be moving in soon.

I will be doing a 'proper' home theatre a good screen, mounting the projector and speakers, proper room treatments, etc.

I just wanted to check with the experts on whether my speakers were considered 'good' still.

I plan on doing at least 7.1 surround sound (I have enough matching Athena S.5 speakers) and was curious if my current speakers are up to the task sound-wise.

Has speaker technology advanced a lot in the past 5 years? Are my speakers now outdated? Or will I be unlikely to notice much of a different with newer speakers?

No such thing as "outdated" speakers...don't let anyone try and tell you otherwise. Speakers are by far the most subjective piece in AV. You can line up 10 people and audition 10 different speakers, and they will all have different opinions. Who is right? They all are.

So the real question is do you still like the sound? If so, don't spend any money. If you are feeling like something is missing, then it might be worth auditioning other options to see what might suit you better.

Good luck!
post #6 of 10 Old 12-23-2010, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I like old speakers. my mains are from 1978!

One shall stand... One Shall Fall... - Optimus Prime
post #7 of 10 Old 12-23-2010, 01:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason turk View Post

so the real question is do you still like the sound? If so, don't spend any money. If you are feeling like something is missing, then it might be worth auditioning other options to see what might suit you better.

Good luck!

+1

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #8 of 10 Old 12-23-2010, 01:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 540
For subs - one place to look.
http://www.hsuresearch.com/subwoofers.html

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #9 of 10 Old 02-02-2013, 04:21 PM

"Outdated Speakers?" No such thing. Sure there are "better speakers" but don't let anyone tell you otherwise. The only way speakers are outdated is when they stop working.

I purchased a pair of Athena Audition Series speakers in 2007 and to this day they still sound as good as the day I took them out of the box. If an upgrade is what you want then do it but don't ever let anyone tell you your speakers are "outdated"
post #10 of 10 Old 02-02-2013, 04:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 417
You do know you responded to a thread where the last post was over 2 years ago?

But I agree speakers do not get outdated. One's listening preference may change or one can afford better speakers but the Athenas are not outdated.

Afro GT
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page