Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 138 Old 12-07-2010, 07:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by stufine1 View Post

I totally agree with you guys. I thought about doing that. However, my wife and everyone else I know says I am stupid for spending this much on speakers. I shouldn't really be doing this. I am a teacher and I don't make a lot of money, but this is something that I will get a lot of enjoyment out of. If I don't strike now while my wife says I can. I am afraid I will never be able to complete the system. My wife is already arguing with me about the budget.

I really want the triple 12s. It would take all of my money after I bought CS a sub to go with it. I would still be missing surrounds. I am afraid my wife won't let me spend another grand or so on more speakers. With my little surrounds now my system will still suck and I spent over 6 grand on it.

There are deals out there. I paid very close to Pro-10 prices for my JTR's and my surrounds JBL 8340's were a steal at $110 for the pair.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 138 Old 12-07-2010, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmryan821 View Post

On the other hand, your wife is a different story. I'm not married but I'd think a happy household would be much more important than indulging in a hobby(I may think otherwise when I do get married).

Stufine, just so I'm up to speed on your situation, you still need your surrounds to be kinda small right? How far will they be placed from your main listening spot?

The wife will be ok. Holiday time always makes her edgy. LOL. The surrounds to need to be small. They are about 5 feet away from the listening spot.

I know I will be just as happy with the triple 8s or the SHOs. It is not worth the extra money. I just really like how they look. They are monster speakers that will definitely not leave me second guessing my decision. Well, I would probably second guess how much money I spent but I can live with that one.
post #123 of 138 Old 12-07-2010, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudda View Post

I don't think that assumption would hold true. The Triple 12's are in a different class. They're more expensive of course but they should be considering what you are getting. That's not a knock on the SHO-10's, rather just the reality.

In a room his size? I doubt it. You'd definitely notice in a much larger room. Would the difference in sound be worth the price difference? I wouldn't think so.(Well, not for me anyway.)

Television: Mitsubishi WD65737 DLP
Processor: Emotiva UMC-200
Amps: Carver AV 806x/Behringer EP4000
Mains: DCM TimeFrame 600 Center: AT 453C
Surrounds: AT 251.1 Sub: Danley DTS-10
Blu Ray: Panasonic DMP-BD655
post #124 of 138 Old 12-07-2010, 09:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool View Post

In a room his size? I doubt it. You'd definitely notice in a much larger room. Would the difference in sound be worth the price difference? I wouldn't think so.(Well, not for me anyway.)

His room is a little larger than mine and is not sealed. I'm running Seaton Catalysts for LCR's and Sparks as surrounds with one SubMersive HP. Based on what I've heard both in and out of my room I think the difference would be very noticeable. I have not heard the SHO's nor the JTR's but based on what I do have I think the JTR's may provide more of that wow factor Stu is looking for. Mid bass for one should be clearly better with the Triple 12's.

I ran my Sparks for almost a year with a SubMersive and while they were both loud and articulate, they can't hold a candle to the big Cats for overall presentation. They weren't designed to. Just one man's opinion...
post #125 of 138 Old 12-08-2010, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:

His room is a little larger than mine and is not sealed. I'm running Seaton Catalysts for LCR's and Sparks as surrounds with one SubMersive HP. Based on what I've heard both in and out of my room I think the difference would be very noticeable. I have not heard the SHO's nor the JTR's but based on what I do have I think the JTR's may provide more of that wow factor Stu is looking for. Mid bass for one should be clearly better with the Triple 12's.

I ran my Sparks for almost a year with a SubMersive and while they were both loud and articulate, they can't hold a candle to the big Cats for overall presentation. They weren't designed to. Just one man's opinion...

Whoops, I forgot his room wasn't sealed. Yup, you're right about hearing the diff. Now for being worth the price differential.....

Television: Mitsubishi WD65737 DLP
Processor: Emotiva UMC-200
Amps: Carver AV 806x/Behringer EP4000
Mains: DCM TimeFrame 600 Center: AT 453C
Surrounds: AT 251.1 Sub: Danley DTS-10
Blu Ray: Panasonic DMP-BD655
post #126 of 138 Old 12-08-2010, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter

I am thinking about longevity. I am only going to be in this house 2 more years. Then I will be moving into a house with a basement. My room size could grow or it could stay the same.

My plans are to have a room that will have a bar in the back then seating for the theater with sound treatments and everything. So I want to be sure I am getting way more than I need in case I do get a bigger room in 2 years.

I guess I could always buy a couple of amps and increase the sound right???
post #127 of 138 Old 12-08-2010, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I guess I could always buy a couple of amps and increase the sound right???

increase what of the sound ?

Volume ( that all depends on a number of factors) CHT and JTR are already pretty high sensitivity.

Quality.. now that is debatable with amps

Johnny
Klipsch,Denon,Parasound,Sunfire
post #128 of 138 Old 12-08-2010, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Quote:

I think what you're saying is true...if all you're lookin at is the LCR's. But nobody just listens to LCR's, we listen to whole systems. A speaker like JTR's are incomplete without subs, and it would be a shame to couple a quality speaker like that with inadequate subs. As to the overall experience, and at the same price point, I'll bet on 5 SHO-10's and 2 18.2's or 2 18.T duos(4 - 18.1's) for a much better HT experience than JTR triple 12's with his current surrounds and sub(if he has one).

This is not to bash JTR's, I like them a lot. But they need capable supporting equipment and speakers which he can't afford.

Given his concerns regarding his budget, I would recommend the cheapest option on the table right now. It's what I did for my latest system. Take the money saved and take the wife on an awesome weekend getaway somewhere and tell her it's with the money you saved going with the cheapest speakers - this way its not all about YOU. And hold your head up high when you tell your friends this system cost you the same as the crappy Bose systems they have in their living rooms(true fact) and let them go home wondering why they wasted THEIR money, lol.
post #129 of 138 Old 12-08-2010, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Posted this on another thread, but value deserves repeating.

I paid less for my 5.2 CHT system than the SALE PRICE for a Bose Lifestyle system http://www.amazon.com/Bose-Lifestyle.../dp/B000UQURGG.
post #130 of 138 Old 12-08-2010, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post

Posted this on another thread, but value deserves repeating.

I paid less for my 5.2 CHT system than the SALE PRICE for a Bose Lifestyle system http://www.amazon.com/Bose-Lifestyle.../dp/B000UQURGG.

Me too for the following:
Three JTR T8's (used)
Two JBL 8340's (used)
Two 12" TC Sounds drivers (new)
One Maelstrom-X driver (used)
One Shiva-X driver (new)
One Nady XA2100 pro amp (new)
Two Nady XA1100 pro amps (new)
One Behringer EPX2000 pro amp (new)
Harman Kardon AVR254 (new)
Monoprice connects, 500LF of 12 gauge speaker wire and HDMI cables

You don't have to spend a fortune to have a nice reference level system. You just have to be willing to spend a little work looking for deals and not be in a hurry.
post #131 of 138 Old 12-08-2010, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Absolutely, the used market represents the greatest value in audio. But it is does carry a greater risk, even more than small ID companies.

Btw, your system is very nice! Congrats!
post #132 of 138 Old 12-08-2010, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

I would not buy any lcr speakers without a sub. My sub now is very weak and lame. I hate it. The only thing I was considering is not buying the surrounds yet.
If I couldn't afford the sub with the lcrs then the system is out of my range.

I was thinking of using my current surrounds to go with the lcrs and either the Captivator or the 18.2. I think that idea is no longer valid. I still have to hash it out with my wife if the budget changed. If it does change then I am definitely going with the Shos. I am still trying to figure out if the JTRs are worth the extra 1000 or so.

With the amp comment I was talking about volume.

I will not buy used speakers unless I know the person or I know someone who says they are trustworthy. I would hate to buy my speakers and they end up breaking a couple of months down the road.
post #133 of 138 Old 12-08-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:

I would not buy any lcr speakers without a sub. My sub now is very weak and lame. I hate it. The only thing I was considering is not buying the surrounds yet.

I was thinking of using my current surrounds to go with the lcrs and either the Captivator or the 18.2. I think that idea is no longer valid. I still have to hash it out with my wife if the budget changed. If it does change then I am definitely going with the Shos. I am still trying to figure out if the JTRs are worth the extra 1000 or so.

With the amp comment I was talking about volume.

I will not buy used speakers unless I know the person or I know someone who says they are trustworthy. I would hate to buy my speakers and they end up breaking a couple of months down the road.

I purchased mine from an AVS member that was upgrading to T12's. Speakers were picked up in person, not shipped. Very little risk that way. Besides it is hard to damage (too much wattage) a JTR speaker.

The JBL 8340's found on ebay, but the seller lived near by. Picked those up in person also.
post #134 of 138 Old 12-08-2010, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:

Hi stu',

I understand your notion of wanting to sneak it all in at once when you have the green light, but I would give some real consideration to upgrading just the LCR + subwoofer. I didn't see in a quick glance what your surrounds are, but if you can get by with them you can set the path for a much more ambitious system. As a hierarchy of importance for a home theater system, I direct to start with a great center channel, then a subwoofer to support the action, with a pair of left & right speakers to match/compliment the center. Then you can add/upgrade the surrounds as you can. It is very nice to have 5-7 perfectly matched speakers, but I would never recommend compromising the LCRs just so you can have matched surrounds.

Most come back and get an itch for an upgrade in 1-5 years (some 3-9 months ). An investment in a great LCR + Sub plus a long term intent to upgrade the surrounds will almost certainly net out to a much higher performing and more gratifying system for less total cash out of pocket than trying to upgrade everything or many things a few years out.

Long term goals and planning almost always make for a better result than limiting yourself to the entire system you can afford in one shot.

Just some added food for thought.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." Daniel H. Burnham
post #135 of 138 Old 12-08-2010, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

I just realized I never told you guys what I have now. I thought I was nice and thorough with my initial post.

I currently have a Sony System. I paid like 400-500 for the receiver, sub and all of the speakers. It doesn't sound bad. It is just not good enough for me. I have upgraded the receiver with the Onkyo 3007 already. I just need to replace the speakers now.

I still have time to figure everything out. I can't do anything until around February. I posted my dilemma early enough so I didn't rush any decision and give myself time to become properly informed. I am very glad I did. I have learned a whole lot from this thread.
post #136 of 138 Old 01-03-2011, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

I am updating to let everyone know what I decided. Well my wife pretty much decided.

She slashed my budget and told me that I can get more speakers after we move in a couple of years. My budget now is $2600 not including surrounds. I have 500 for those. So I am going to go with 3 Shos and a Monolith.

Hopefully I can get the JTRs and use the Shos as surrounds in a couple of years.

Thanks everyone for the advice and suggestions. I have learned a lot from this thread.
post #137 of 138 Old 01-03-2011, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 35
So it is JTRs? Or?

I have ideas for surrounds if you haven't any yet.

I'll PM you.
post #138 of 138 Old 01-03-2011, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

JTRs will be in about 2 years. Its CHS for now.
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page